Beware: Nebraska's Scalping laws

Discussion of current events, news, the latest happenings in Omaha

Moderators: nebugeater, Coyote, Brad, almighty_tuna, Stargazer

Beware: Nebraska's Scalping laws

Postby Coyote » Sat Nov 20, 2004 11:31 pm

WOWT wrote:Ticket Prices Depend On Source

Brokers can legally charge as much as they want

Tickets to sporting events and concerts in Nebraska sell at a premium, which is one reason ticket scalping is a growing concern. What's legal and what's the going rate of tickets?

Whether it's tickets to the College World Series, the Huskers, a Fleetwood Mac concert, or a first-ever Monday Night Football game, some people will pay almost any price to go. "It was his one wish," said Tini Hicks, who paid $225 apiece for tickets to Monday's Kansas City Chiefs-New England Patriots game. "I've never bought tickets, so the price they said sounded good to me." That was until she saw the tickets. "Until I picked up the tickets did I know that the original face value was $73." Hicks said she couldn't believe Ticket Express would charge more than three times the ticket's face value. "I thought I was being ripped off."

What Ticket Express did is perfectly legal in Omaha. Nebraska is one of 34 states that does not have ticket scalping laws, meaning as long as we're a half-mile away from the venue, ticket brokers can charge as much as they want. The advantage of going through a ticket broker is, if you want tickets to a sold out Husker game or some sold out event at the Qwest Center, chances are you can still buy them through a broker. Of course it's going to cost you extra, but for some it's worth it. "Just out of the smiles on my husband's face, I think I'm going to get a million dollars worth out of these tickets," said Hicks.

A manager at Ticket Express said they would not comment on individual cases of customer complaints, but said, "Since tickets are a one of a kind item and not replaceable, there are no refunds, exchanges, or cancellations on any order." What are tickets for Friday's Nebraska-Colorado game going for? Surprisingly, the University of Nebraska said there are still a few single tickets left at the face value of $55. If you want better seats, Ticket Express has tickets in nearly every section, including club seating, but for those tickets you can expect to pay close to $500 each.  

The suburbs are where they cut down all the trees and then name the streets after them.
-- Alfred E. Neuman
Coyote
City Council

Postby StreetsOfOmaha » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:32 pm

Awwww, I was expecting Indians :(.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Postby Coyote » Mon Nov 22, 2004 7:36 pm

Tourist!  :roll:

The suburbs are where they cut down all the trees and then name the streets after them.
-- Alfred E. Neuman
Coyote
City Council

Return to News and Events