Capitol Rows (24th and Davenport)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100622/M ... r-downtown
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:A row-house-style apartment project could replace a parking lot between Joslyn Art Museum and Creighton University.

Tetrad Development Corp. is proposing a $10 million project to build 82 apartments and a corner retail site northeast of 24th and Davenport Streets.
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:It would have 60 one-bedroom apartments and 22 two-bedroom units — all renting at market rates, Mohlman said.
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The buildings would be designed in an urban row house style. Two apartment buildings along 24th Street would be three stories high, and a building along Davenport Street would be four stories tall.
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:The developer would like to finish construction by late summer 2011.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This is a wonderful announcement -- new construction of urban, market rate apartments built on former parking lots with a corner retail space.

As the article mentions, this helps kick off development of the Joslyn District, as proposed in the Downtown Master Plan.

:thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:  :thumb:
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I hope this announcement is followed through by shovels in the ground.  This would be great, and a great location near CU.
Choleric
Home Owners Association

Post by Choleric »

This great, just wonder where Central students will park now since that is currently a lot for students. Not a big deal though urban fill is always good.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Choleric wrote:This great, just wonder where Central students will park now since that is currently a lot for students. Not a big deal though urban fill is always good.
That was my thought, too. Back when I attended Central, a decent amount of kids parked in that lot.

However, this is an awesome development. I hope it sees the light of day.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Great development and kudos to the Master Plan and design guidelines!
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Cool. Let's hope it happens.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Pretty!
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

The project would be geared toward Creighton upperclassmen and graduate students, said Don Mohlman, president of Tetrad Development.
Sounds like this housing is just aimed at Creighton students, so does that just make it more Creighton housing.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Wow, that looks like an awesome infill project!  The site layout looks great too, with street-fronted buildings, parking behind them and some nice green space too.  The rendering isn't too bad either; the architecture looks a bit like 22 Floors or even the Holland.  After graduating from Illinois, the schools here look like community colleges with deserts of parking around a few oddly-arranged buildings.  I would expect this to do well for students who want to live on/near campus.

Let's hope that financing isn't an issue.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

My old place, The Rorick, has seen a huge influx of CU kids. I can only imagine that this will be much of the same. TipTop has to love this. :)
DTO
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

DTO Luv wrote:My old place, The Rorick, has seen a huge influx of CU kids. I can only imagine that this will be much of the same. TipTop has to love this. :)
Everytime I've mentioned TipTop to people in Omha, they say that its a nonstop party.  I don't know how factual it is though (some of these people live WAY out west).
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

DTO Luv wrote:My old place, The Rorick, has seen a huge influx of CU kids. I can only imagine that this will be much of the same. TipTop has to love this. :)
What exactly do you mean by that?  If you're saying it will hurt the number of students in Tip Tip I can't see it.  There is virtually 0 close off campus housing for Creighton students as it is.  Most of them drive to campus from all across town if they want to live off campus.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Seth wrote: (some of these people live WAY out west).
Figures. With all of the non-stop partying from the student many people avoided the place because they didn't want to live in a dorm with a bunch of rich kids living off mommy and daddy. TopTop is not what I would call ideal for most college students but this project is.
DTO
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Here's to this seeing the light of day.  I would even take a pretty good look at an apartment there according to that time frame.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:"the JoDi"
The farce is strong in this one...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Great infill project. Here's hoping for Omaha that it happens. See the "Josh left town so lets build" Omaha boom is firing up.  :;):
Last edited by the1wags on Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
Choleric wrote:This great, just wonder where Central students will park now since that is currently a lot for students.
Simple solution - elevate the driving age. Decrease the need for parking, increases transit ridership, and decrease auto-related deaths.

I suppose that's a bit beyond the scope of this thread  :;): .
Good luck getting kids to go to Central, in that case.

It's probably a good thing, overall, but for Central students and residents of the apartments already there, it's not gonna be fun.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

On the map Coyote posted, it looks like there's room for a parking garage just to the left of the bigger one. Easier said than done, of course.
OmahaBen
Human Relations

Post by OmahaBen »

ShawJ wrote:On the map Coyote posted, it looks like there's room for a parking garage just to the left of the bigger one. Easier said than done, of course.
Both those parking garages are already there and restricted to residents of their respective buildings. Both barely qualify as true garages - the Heider one has maybe 20 spaces, most of which are claimed by the staff/Jesuits that live there. All told there are maybe 40 spots for the building (counting the 20 or so street level spots above the garage), and at least when I was there plenty of people ended up parking on the street. Capitol Hill's garage is bigger and covers the needs of most of its residents, though I'm not 100% sure of that. And it's still only a 2 story garage, as well (the covered story being underground, upper level being exposed like a normal parking lot)

Like I said, the new apartments are probably a good plan overall, but parking is going to be a serious pain in the |expletive|, especially for central students.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

OmahaBen wrote:
ShawJ wrote:On the map Coyote posted, it looks like there's room for a parking garage just to the left of the bigger one. Easier said than done, of course.
Both those parking garages are already there and restricted to residents of their respective buildings. Both barely qualify as true garages - the Heider one has maybe 20 spaces, most of which are claimed by the staff/Jesuits that live there. All told there are maybe 40 spots for the building (counting the 20 or so street level spots above the garage), and at least when I was there plenty of people ended up parking on the street. Capitol Hill's garage is bigger and covers the needs of most of its residents, though I'm not 100% sure of that. And it's still only a 2 story garage, as well (the covered story being underground, upper level being exposed like a normal parking lot)

Like I said, the new apartments are probably a good plan overall, but parking is going to be a serious pain in the |expletive|, especially for central students.
I meant that it looks like they could add another one in that spot to the left of Capitol Hill's parking garage. But it doesn't look like it could be very large.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

This project has been adopted by city council.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Coyote wrote:This project has been adopted by city council.
Maybe a stupid question, but what does that mean? Good news, bad news, or typical for developments like these?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

good if you are for the project, bad if you are against it.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Brad wrote:good if you are for the project, bad if you are against it.
Who was against it?
2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

I'd like to see a rendering of the Davenport building. Is there a website for this thing yet?
Historic Omaha
Home Owners Association

Captial Hill plan set

Post by Historic Omaha »

If anyone wants to look at the drawings go to:

http://www.adtechplans.com/viewJobs.asp ... ob_id=1668
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Site work as already begun. They torn down a bunch of trees and have construction fence up around the parking lot.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

2Adam29 wrote:I'd like to see a rendering of the Davenport building. Is there a website for this thing yet?

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

They look pretty nice.  The modern architecture reminds me of Soma.  Even though they're just three floors, the style and street-fronted layout really give it an attractive, urban, walkable feel.  I don't think people realize how much appearance affects a neighborhood.  Thank goodness they're not some of those atrocious vinyl-sided and white brick abominations that dot most college campus areas.

I'm also surprised the contract drawings are publicly hosted.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

The entire parking lot has been torn up and all that remains is a dirt field.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

What another fantastic development in downtown Omaha.
where the corn meets the concrete
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Foundation work. Or a large basement, depending on who you ask.  :;):

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Awesome!  Thanks for the Photos!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

ShawJ wrote:Foundation work. Or a large basement, depending on who you ask.  :;):
Swimming pool :)
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Some funky cement blocks on site. They look like legos but with rounded pegs.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Thanks for the pictures. It's impressive how fast this thing got going after it was announced.