L14 Flats (14th & Leavenworth)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

L14 Flats (14th & Leavenworth)

Post by Brad »

42 Unit Apartment Building (14th & Leavenworth)

http://www.omaha.com/article/20110608/N ... s-speed-up
Jeffrey Robb WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:After focusing on condo projects for years, developers are turning their focus to apartments to address a shortage of housing for younger residents who like downtown but don't want to become homeowners.

And with central downtown and the Old Market well-established, developers are moving their focus outside that core, and not just in the growing north downtown district that's home to TD Ameritrade Park and Qwest Center Omaha.

Across the area, almost $50 million worth of apartment developments are in the works to bring a combined 476 market-rate units onto the market.

The latest proposals involve new construction, with buildings planned for 13th and Jones Streets, 14th and Leavenworth Streets and South 10th Street.
Last edited by Brad on Sat Jul 21, 2012 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like quite the addition for DT.  I noticed the rendering seems to have underground parking which is a great trend that needs to get going in Omaha.
Fromaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Fromaha »

Not that a lot of detail can be seen in this rendering, but it looks like the exterior will look much like many other recent building additions both in the Old Market area and in the North Downtown area. Overall, I think they look OK, but a little more variety might be nice. I guess it may be just a sign of the current urban design trend. Regardless, this is great news.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yes, this is certainly a wonderful and welcome announcement. In fact, multi-story, infill developments like this are easily more important to me than Omaha seeing its next big skyscraper... and there have been a lot of these projects in the last couple years.

The awesome thing is, as the article points out, this is only the tip of the iceberg in terms of satisfying and growing the market Downtown and in the surrounding neighborhoods.

Nice comments, Chad! I didn't realize you guys weren't in the Old Market anymore. How is the "new" space?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
delinea design
Home Owners Association

Post by delinea design »

We relocated to a larger studio in November to the Joseph's Small Engine Bld. at 15th and Jones. Gorgeous space in Market West; we're very happy with the move.
-Chad
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Nice. That is a cool space. Bluestone was just beginning to relocate there when I was working for them back in 2004. Now they are in the 22 Floors, obviously.

When Michelle and I are back in Omaha we'll have to pop in sometime to see what you've done with the space.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Note that it is not underground parking.  A development of this size could not pencil with underground parking. It is at-grade parking that takes advantage of the topography and utilizes sheeting and shoring on the western edge (built into the slope).  It is still a nice design that hides the parking and does not incorporate a large open parking lot.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I can live with that.

I tell ya what... if this all comes through and gets filled, plus a couple other ones I've heard rumblings about not mentioned here, downtown is going to be hopping in a big way in 2-4 years.  That's a lot of evenly distributed density that will be looking for services.
Stable genius.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

Big E wrote:I can live with that.

I tell ya what... if this all comes through and gets filled, plus a couple other ones I've heard rumblings about not mentioned here, downtown is going to be hopping in a big way in 2-4 years.  That's a lot of evenly distributed density that will be looking for services.
I think you're exactly right.  This will be good for small and large businesses alike.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Looking at that rendering again, I'm assuming I'm looking west up Leavenworth to the right, with the existing 15th Street lofts the first other building pictured.

If so, is the cross street the biker is heading onto southbound 14th, or is that a parking lot dividing a parcel on the east end of the 14th and 15th block of Leavenworth, with 14th St actually out of frame to the left?  

Scale seems to imply it is the former.  I sure hope so.
Last edited by Big E on Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stable genius.
HuskerDave
Library Board

Post by HuskerDave »

Architects who create these renderings don't always have good information about the surroundings.

Often, this leads them to throw in random people to fill out the scene without it making much sense.  I refer you to a recent Omaha World Herald sketch (which unfortunately I don't have a link to) for a proposed boulevard in Benson, that had a bunch of pedestrians pushing strollers on the median.
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Excellent!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

A mini J-Lofts, it would appear.  Too bad we couldn't have had something more impressive.  There aren't many other open lots available in that neighborhood.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Big E wrote:Looking at that rendering again, I'm assuming I'm looking west up Leavenworth to the right, with the existing 15th Street lofts the first other building pictured.

If so, is the cross street the biker is heading onto southbound 14th, or is that a parking lot dividing a parcel on the east end of the 14th and 15th block of Leavenworth, with 14th St actually out of frame to the left?  

Judging from the rendering and Google Streetview, I believe we're looking southwest:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 00284&z=19
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
Big E wrote:Looking at that rendering again, I'm assuming I'm looking west up Leavenworth to the right, with the existing 15th Street lofts the first other building pictured.

Judging from the rendering and Google Streetview, I believe we're looking southwest:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 00284&z=19
That's correct, and the building you see in Street View has been torn down.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

So is the one building facing east on street view getting the wrecking ball, or do I see it peeking out behind the rendered tree?
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

nativeomahan wrote:A mini J-Lofts, it would appear.  Too bad we couldn't have had something more impressive.  There aren't many other open lots available in that neighborhood.
I seem to remember tons of open lots along Leavenworth, and specifically, in that area.

Big E, the rendering makes it look like they intend to keep that building (the one to the south). It would be great to see something done with that space. It has been totally empty and gutted for at least a decade.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:A mini J-Lofts, it would appear.  Too bad we couldn't have had something more impressive.  There aren't many other open lots available in that neighborhood.
I seem to remember tons of open lots along Leavenworth, and specifically, in that area.

Big E, the rendering makes it look like they intend to keep that building (the one to the south). It would be great to see something done with that space. It has been totally empty and gutted for at least a decade.
I agree, they need to keep that building standing and someone needs to do something with it. The thought of tearing it down hadn't crossed my mind until I read Big E's post, so I stopped by this evening to check the place out and take a couple pictures of the building and the empty lot where the apartment will be built. The glass on the main floor appears to be relatively clean or new, and there is some framing. That could all be an illusion, and it's certainly possible it has been sitting there started but not finished for years. I apologize for the quality of the pictures in my camera phone.

TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

According to the assessor's website, the people who own the lot that the apartments will be built on do not own the building in question to the south. They do own the building to the west, for what its worth.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

This is a fantastic project!  There is certainly a lot of potential for growth and redevelopment between Downtown and Midtown Crossing.  There are even a fair number of historic buildings along Leavenworth, Harney, and Farnam that are vacant and available for renovation.  It would be great to see that area rebuilt, due to it's proximity to downtown.  It could do a lot to improve the image of Omaha too, as it is a pretty sad gateway into downtown if you're coming from the west.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Construction has begun
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Cool, I'll have to go by and check it out sometime.  I'm downtown for work tomorrow, so maybe I'll ride past on my way there.
delinea design
Home Owners Association

Post by delinea design »

A photo of the work underway - more photos at http://www.facebook.com/pages/Market-We ... 2100602225
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It is nice to see a project get announced and started in short time frame.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

When I rode by this afternoon, it looked like they were digging for utilities.  They had a big trench in the street and were digging one in the site.

It would be nice if they did something with the building to the south.  It's definitely a nice old building, but needs work done soon because it's pretty exposed to the elements.  It does look like there is an alley between it and the new building.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Great to see this area getting developed.  The views from there are pretty good and you would be just a short walk from the old market as well. I know it is in progress but it would be great if this momentum continues and revitalizes the Leavenworth St area.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Walls starting to go up.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Nice!

Isn't there a similar project/building planned for the Old Market Car Wash site? I don't remember if that had its own thread.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Elevator shaft went up today!
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Sweet!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It really shows off the scale of the project.  That will be a really dense square block.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Photo, pleaseeeee!!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Photo, pleaseeeee!!
I will look when I go by tomorrow, but there wasn't that much there last time I went by.  Yes they were building footings and such, but nothing really noticeable sticking out of the ground.  Elevator Shafts may make a world of difference.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Parking area looked covered today.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Looking good; thanks for the pic!  I haven't been down that way lately; I'll have to go check it out.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

This is so good to see!  I need to walk over there the next time I have a day off.  And for the person who asked, yes, America First properties does intend to build an apartment building at 13th & Jones, where the car wash is now.  I think it is after this one is done.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The first floor of apartments looks about done.  It is all wood framing so it isn't all that impressive though.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

One more floor to go.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:One more floor to go.
I shot a pic last night, I will get it posted later.  For some reason I thought the building was going to be a bit taller?