New apartment building in Old Market - 12th & Howard

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

derog
Home Owners Association

New apartment building in Old Market - 12th & Howard

Post by derog »

New building going up in Old Market
Omaha World Herald wrote:A new brick-and-glass-front building — to be filled with a mix of old and new tenants — is about to expand the look and feel of the Old Market.

The $4.7 million multistory structure would replace the longtime home of Maggie Moo's ice cream and Little King sandwich shop at the southwest corner of 12th and Howard Streets. Both eateries have been invited to return when the new and larger digs are constructed. They'd be joined by a full-service restaurant in the main corner bay and 12 upper-level apartments.

City planners welcome the 1201 Howard Street project headed by developer Eric Wieseler.

"It's going to carry the Old Market across 12th Street," said Planning Director Rick Cunningham.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Holy |expletive| that looks awesome!
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

This is AWESOME.  I have been wondering when this lot was going to get filled.  The OM is going to get some major improvements in the next couple of years with this project and the Hyatt tower.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Seriously between those two on 12th right in the heart of the OM.  Add on the two new apartment buildings right on the fringe of the OM we have a ton of projects down in a pretty small area.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I wonder if Kings and Maggy Moo's are going to relocate?

edit whoops missed that in the article.  I wonder if they will decide to occupy a spot in the new building?
Last edited by Linkin5 on Fri Sep 16, 2011 9:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

iamjacobm wrote:Seriously between those two on 12th right in the heart of the OM.  Add on the two new apartment buildings right on the fringe of the OM we have a ton of projects down in a pretty small area.
I don't think the market will be even remotely close to saturated when they're completed, either.

I'd love to see the same thing happen to the corner where Ted & Wally's is, too (without any interruption of the ice cream flow, of course).

Not sure I'd go with the modern glass look down there, but as long as another surface lot is disappearing I'm not going to |expletive| too much.
Stable genius.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

I think another huge part is this: "As proposed, a full-service restaurant would move into a 5,000-squre-foot corner space. The restaurant has been secured, but its name not yet disclosed."

Assuming it's true (and I have no reason to believe it's not), that immediate restaurant occupancy is great news.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Big E wrote:
iamjacobm wrote: as long as another surface lot is disappearing I'm not going to |expletive| too much.
+1 intergoogles
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Big E wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Seriously between those two on 12th right in the heart of the OM.  Add on the two new apartment buildings right on the fringe of the OM we have a ton of projects down in a pretty small area.
I don't think the market will be even remotely close to saturated when they're completed, either.

I'd love to see the same thing happen to the corner where Ted & Wally's is, too (without any interruption of the ice cream flow, of course).

Not sure I'd go with the modern glass look down there, but as long as another surface lot is disappearing I'm not going to |expletive| too much.
I totally agree.  In the article it said something like 98% of DT rental property is filled.  That seems like a really high number.

Agree on the Ted and Wallys and maybe the half dozen surface lots that litter the OM.

I thought that when I saw the rendering it looks more like a North Downtown design than an Old Market one, but I am not not to complain about it.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Very good news to hear, I am excited for both of these projects and hope to see the construction start for both.
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association

Post by 10thstgoober »

Can someone post the rendering?   Thx
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I love how with every new apartment development downtown they talk about attracting "mixed-income" and then reveal the "market rate" pricing.  Another great project all the same.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

iamjacobm wrote:
Big E wrote:

I totally agree.  In the article it said something like 98% of DT rental property is filled.  That seems like a really high number.

Agree on the Ted and Wallys and maybe the half dozen surface lots that litter the OM.

I thought that when I saw the rendering it looks more like a North Downtown design than an Old Market one, but I am not not to complain about it.

Same architects.  It does fit with the new Lund building around the corner that houses Hiro 88 too.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

nebport5 wrote: I love how with every new apartment development downtown they talk about attracting "mixed-income" and then reveal the "market rate" pricing.  Another great project all the same.
Truth. But I'm very excited about this project. I hope Maggie Moos and Little King do decide to return. It can only be a good thing for Little King, their current building is just raggedy.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Decided to make a Homers trip partially inspired by this project.

That corner will be nearly as popular as the one on 11th.  I think it would be great to see the 4 round brick planters installed at this intersection like on 11th and Howard.  It will become a natural 2nd gathering place.  Also some trees or better awnings along Howard just west of 12th would be nice, there really isn't much cover right there.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

I'm kinda starting to take issue with the brick mixed with metal... why can't we just bring back ornamental facades?
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Axel wrote:I'm kinda starting to take issue with the brick mixed with metal... why can't we just bring back ornamental facades?
Not to agree or disagree with you here, but the same conversation was had against ornamental facades about 100 years ago.  Also the Old Market isn't really made up of that many buildings with ornamental facades anyways.

These two look like the could of had the same architect.

Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

iamjacobm wrote:
Axel wrote:I'm kinda starting to take issue with the brick mixed with metal... why can't we just bring back ornamental facades?
Not to agree or disagree with you here, but the same conversation was had against ornamental facades about 100 years ago.  Also the Old Market isn't really made up of that many buildings with ornamental facades anyways.

These two look like the could of had the same architect.

True, but I was thinking of the beauty The AT&T Building used to be I suppose. Something like that, nothing too fancy. But I see your point about the Old Market.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
mcarch
Library Board

Post by mcarch »

Love it!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This is really going to connect the old market!  I can't wait to see it completed.
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Little Kings and Maggie Moos are both "closed for remodeling"
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Helluva remodel.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I was wondering when construction would get started.  Progress!
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I noticed Maggie Moos cleared out last week when my wife and I went out to happy hour at Blue.  That will really improve that corner; I always thought it looked trashy, set back behind the parking lot.  I'll excuse Ted and Wally's for having a street-fronted lot, but only because it's been that way since Old Market was Old Market (and the ice cream is better too!).
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Wow, that was quick!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:Wow, that was quick!
No kidding!

I was in the Old Market last night an mentioned how I couldn't wait till that was torn down while passing it.  And there it goes.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

iamjacobm wrote:
Brad wrote:Wow, that was quick!
No kidding!

I was in the Old Market last night an mentioned how I couldn't wait till that was torn down while passing it.  And there it goes.
Wow, that was fast!  I guess it doesn't take long to clear out trash like that though, lol.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

BUILDING PERMITS:
Sidney B. Wertheim, 1201 Howard St., $1,618,212.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Hmmm. Never heard of him/her.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Hmmm. Never heard of him/her.
http://www.trademarkia.com/corresponden ... m-1-228388

Looks like trade name registered to a couple attorneys.
2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

They have put up a better fence around the construction area and appeared to have a slightly nicer rendering of the finished property on a sign. I took a kinda crummy cell phone pic of it...

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That looks great!!

I can't wait to see this one pop up.  It shouldn't take terribly long.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

That does look great. Can't wait to see this block with this building + the Hyatt.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Brad wrote:BUILDING PERMITS:
Sidney B. Wertheim, 1201 Howard St., $1,618,212.
He started the Little King chain.  I think his son Bob runs it now.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

What a fantastic project for the Old Market.  I can't wait to see steel rising from the ground.
where the corn meets the concrete
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

It would be too bad if the project loses the balconies, however.  They can be so pretty in the summertime with vines and flowers covering them.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

nativeomahan wrote:It would be too bad if the project loses the balconies, however.  They can be so pretty in the summertime with vines and flowers covering them.
I didn't notice that until you said something.  I wonder why they would take away the balconies?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Linkin5 wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:It would be too bad if the project loses the balconies, however.  They can be so pretty in the summertime with vines and flowers covering them.
I didn't notice that until you said something.  I wonder why they would take away the balconies?
Zoning of some kind.  Can't have them extending over a sidewalk.  Notice any balconies that exist now are either grandfathered on old buildings, over an alley (like the north facing units on Kimball Lofts) or set back (like on the south side of jLofts). I can't remember how the ones on the south alley side of jLofts are.  

I think they could have them if they set the exterior of the building back from what is considered the sidewalk.  Someone else will have to fill in the nitpickery details of the actual requirements.
Stable genius.