Lofts on 24th Street

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

almighty_tuna
City Council

Lofts on 24th Street

Post by almighty_tuna »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120331/M ... th-o-plant

Arch Icon Development wants to redo the Ak-Sar-Ben Beef building on south 24th street and turn it into lofts.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Very very cool project, awesome to see investment out of the big name neighborhoods.  With 24th getting bike lanes and the Vinton corridor getting more attention this should be the first of many projects like this in the coming years.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

If I were a developer, I'd have my eyes on downtown South Omaha for the long term, although I'd do it in a way that would keep it's character as a gateway for immigrants, which it what it's always been.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The rendering looks great.  I think it would really add to the area.  Better than that flea market that is always there (even in the OWH photo).
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Now called Lofts on 24th Street (3101) - "an affordable housing project that includes 20 large loft apartments." Plat approved.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Lofts on 24th Street

Post by Coyote »

Is there any progress on this development? Tried to find any news from Arch Icon, but their website http://www.arch-icon.com is just a front page...
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Funny that you ask...

OWH Article
Cindy Gonzalez OWH wrote: » An apartment project proposed in 2012 is to be completed this year. The historic Ak-Sar-Ben Beef building near 24th and Vinton Streets is to be converted into the Lofts on 24th. Developer Arch Icon said all the financing finally was approved for the $3.8 million project.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I was meaning to go through that article and update all the projects mentioned this afternoon since I have some time.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

iamjacobm wrote:I was meaning to go through that article and update all the projects mentioned this afternoon since I have some time.
Thanks, I was going to do the same but I'm in class at the moment haha
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re:

Post by daveoma »

ricko wrote:If I were a developer, I'd have my eyes on downtown South Omaha for the long term, although I'd do it in a way that would keep it's character as a gateway for immigrants, which it what it's always been.

I TOTALLY AGREE! South Omaha is hugely popular with millennials. I think many young professionals would love to live in south Omaha to experience the culture. This is an untapped opportunity for the well informed developer.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Be cautious with those thoughts though. The Mexican neighborhood of Chicago, Pilsen, is experiencing extreme gentrification right now because people want to experience the Mexican culture.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

A lot is happening all across town. I'm especially pumped by all the developments announced for east of 72nd Street.
Linkin5
County Board

Re: Re:

Post by Linkin5 »

daveoma wrote:
ricko wrote:If I were a developer, I'd have my eyes on downtown South Omaha for the long term, although I'd do it in a way that would keep it's character as a gateway for immigrants, which it what it's always been.

I TOTALLY AGREE! South Omaha is hugely popular with millennials. I think many young professionals would love to live in south Omaha to experience the culture. This is an untapped opportunity for the well informed developer.
South Omaha is amazing at night during the summer. There are families out everywhere going to the restaurants and shops, it's the only active night area around that doesn't involve bars.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I agree. Anywhere else seems to be dominated by bars. It is nice to see people out walking around for "good reasons" in the evenings in the summer.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Received almost $670K in tax credits due to the Historic Tax Credit program.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Looks like something may finally get moving here...
asherballa
New to the Neighborhood

Post by asherballa »

This is a little belated, but I stopped by this site to take a look in mid-December (helped work on the financing for this project) and a crew was already in the building clearing out waste. Think this one should be turned around fairly quickly as it is a rehab project.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

asherballa wrote:This is a little belated, but I stopped by this site to take a look in mid-December (helped work on the financing for this project) and a crew was already in the building clearing out waste. Think this one should be turned around fairly quickly as it is a rehab project.
That is good to know, whenever I drive by there has never been any sign of activity.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

This project is now leasing 2, 3 & 4 bedroom apartments. Prices and floor plans at http://www.loftson24th.com/
price ranges from $795 to $935. Some units for less ($599) for someone with a special needs child.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That looks kind of neat in an industrial loft kind of way.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

Brad wrote:That looks kind of neat in an industrial loft kind of way.
I disagree. I think it looks horrible.