Slate Apartments (1815 Capitol)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Slate Apartments (1815 Capitol)

Post by iamjacobm »

We must be getting lazy this was mentioned last Sunday.  NuStyle bought the old Black Hills Energy building.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120506/MONEY/705069951
Details have yet to be announced for the Black Hills Energy building at 1815 Capitol Ave., but Heistand recently purchased that property as well and plans to revamp it as apartments.
derog
Home Owners Association

Re: 1815 Capitol Apartments

Post by derog »

iamjacobm wrote:We must be getting lazy this was mentioned last Sunday.  NuStyle bought the old Black Hills Energy building.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120506/MONEY/705069951
Details have yet to be announced for the Black Hills Energy building at 1815 Capitol Ave., but Heistand recently purchased that property as well and plans to revamp it as apartments.
Wow, this is great! I walk past this building regularly and it has been wholly or largely empty for a LONG time. This block is in desperate need of Rehab as I think only one of the four buildings (the one directly east of this building) is inhabited.

Parking is scarce, and until we have large improvement in public transport, most residents will want a car. Based on the garage door off of Capitol St, I assume they have some quantity of indoor parking. Maybe the lot on the NE? There is also a lot across to the west. Kitty-corner is a garage, but there is a thread that someone has applied to turn that into loft apartments (condos?) also.

Regardless, this is really great to see.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I also thought of the parking garage conversion.  Don't know if anything has actually happened on that.

Anyways I trust NuStyle on this one, they have an amazing track record.  And the activity in one of the deadest parts of downtown just shows the momentum and demand for anything and everything in the area.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

It's really amazing how many of these large apartment-conversion projects have been completed, underway, or announced recently.  All these new residents should really affect the downtown environment, with more retail and service businesses opening up to serve them.

Although I agree with the article in that it's unlikely we'll see large speculative office construction, I wonder if the decline in vacant office space downtown will create pressure to build more new office towers in the future?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Lets hope the demand is actually equivalent or even close to the amount of apartments are going in.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Linkin5 wrote:Lets hope the demand is actually equivalent or even close to the amount of apartments are going in.
FWIW Bluestone said on their facebook recently that they are back to having a waiting list on all their properties.  Obiously some of these projects are on different scales than Bluestones usual though.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I think the increasing supply of downtown housing is actually driving demand to some degree, as a growing population is making it a more desirable place to live.  It will be interesting to see how quickly some of these massive projects can rent out, though, as it is an unprecedented increase in new residential units downtown.  With the overall shortage of rental housing in the US now, though, I'm not to worried about them sitting empty.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Seth wrote:I think the increasing supply of downtown housing is actually driving demand to some degree, as a growing population is making it a more desirable place to live.  It will be interesting to see how quickly some of these massive projects can rent out, though, as it is an unprecedented increase in new residential units downtown.  With the overall shortage of rental housing in the US now, though, I'm not to worried about them sitting empty.
Agreed.  And as Downtown reaches some level of critical mass in terms or residents, then more retail services will come along, which then leads to more people being interested in living downtown.  I think we are beginning to witness this happen.  It is wonderful to see.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

Walked past two weeks ago and all of the windows were open. The two below ground parking garages were also open, and there was a rental dumpster onsite. I got a slight look inside the garage. I could see at least 10 spaces but I couldn't see around the corner to tell how far in (east) it went.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

Love it.
Wish something would actually go in that little round building. it's so classy.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

justnick wrote:Love it.
I don't know if that is sarcasm or not, but I do love that round building.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well, I do not know when, but Heistand purchased this building also.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

From the article:
Cindy Gonzalez wrote:Perhaps even more recognizable than the main building is an attached 6,500-square-foot structure that faces the 19th and Dodge Streets intersection and has a round, domed entrance that Heistand says “looks like a flying saucer landed on top.” He said that segment, which was part of the purchase deal, likely will be leased as a small restaurant or coffee shop.
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120731/M ... 19996/1697
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

European Coffee Shoppe
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

jessep28 wrote:European Coffee Shoppe
Village
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This is awesome!
charlie123
Home Owners Association

Post by charlie123 »

What was in the little round building before?  For some reason, I picture a US Bank logo on it from the past...perhaps I'm confusing it with something else?   The building will look nice once done... It may sound odd to say this, but I think the balconies will actually dress up the building quite a bit...right now, the design is too "vertical"    Todd does do a good job on these projects.  I remember years ago he did the Ford Warehouse on 10th &  Dodge...it came out really nice while maintaining it's historical look (as he had to)
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

charlie123 wrote:What was in the little round building before?  For some reason, I picture a US Bank logo on it from the past...perhaps I'm confusing it with something else?   The building will look nice once done... It may sound odd to say this, but I think the balconies will actually dress up the building quite a bit...right now, the design is too "vertical"    Todd does do a good job on these projects.  I remember years ago he did the Ford Warehouse on 10th &  Dodge...it came out really nice while maintaining it's historical look (as he had to)
I think it had ATM machines in it at some point, but I can't remember.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

charlie123 wrote:What was in the little round building before?  For some reason, I picture a US Bank logo on it from the past...perhaps I'm confusing it with something else?   The building will look nice once done... It may sound odd to say this, but I think the balconies will actually dress up the building quite a bit...right now, the design is too "vertical"    Todd does do a good job on these projects.  I remember years ago he did the Ford Warehouse on 10th &  Dodge...it came out really nice while maintaining it's historical look (as he had to)
The "cupcake" building!  I think it was a branch of the Omaha National Bank originally.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Trenton was talking about this project on Grow Omaha this morning, saying it was more vacant office space being taken off the market. He then said the his group has recently sold three other buildings yet to be announced.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

MadMartin8 wrote:
jessep28 wrote:European Coffee Shoppe
Village
Towne Place.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Coyote wrote:Trenton was talking about this project on Grow Omaha this morning, saying it was more vacant office space being taken off the market. He then said the his group has recently sold three other buildings yet to be announced.
:popcorn:
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Douglas Building, Service Life Building and Library Building???  I think most of these are pretty well occupied and might have some good leases on them, I doubt they'd be for conversions...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Internal demo is definitely going on.  You can see a crane in the NNG Building thread.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Mhmm they were hard at work today when I walked by. Workers all over the place, windows open,  dumpsters in places, great to see.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Bosco55David
Parks & Recreation

Post by Bosco55David »

Linkin5 wrote:
I don't know if that is sarcasm or not, but I do love that round building.
Me too, and I always wondered what the heck it was.
l-dude
Home Owners Association

Post by l-dude »

Not completely sure of my memory on this, but either an Omaha National Bank branch (drive through facility?, as branch banking regulations were very different back then), and then a Western Union Office.  I could be wrong on the specific banking company(s), but it was definitely built for the bank business.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

derog wrote:Walked past two weeks ago and all of the windows were open. The two below ground parking garages were also open, and there was a rental dumpster onsite. I got a slight look inside the garage. I could see at least 10 spaces but I couldn't see around the corner to tell how far in (east) it went.
I was wrong, I saw spots numbered up to at least 67.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

derog wrote:
derog wrote:Walked past two weeks ago and all of the windows were open. The two below ground parking garages were also open, and there was a rental dumpster onsite. I got a slight look inside the garage. I could see at least 10 spaces but I couldn't see around the corner to tell how far in (east) it went.
Nice so there is a good chunk of on site parking ready to go.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Mixed use baby! Here's another article on the project.

$2.5M development proposed for downtown Omaha
City Council to vote on future of 19th and Dodge

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/-2- ... olute=true
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That reporting seems off.  I bet they are going after $2.5 million in TIF.  No way a building that size gets rehabbed for $2.5 million.
derog
Home Owners Association

Post by derog »

derog wrote:
I was wrong again, saw 73 numbered spots, but there may be even more. Also, a crane is outside.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

iamjacobm wrote:That reporting seems off.  I bet they are going after $2.5 million in TIF.  No way a building that size gets rehabbed for $2.5 million.
Weren't they referring just to the old Western Union building?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like all the balconies are up on the south side.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Those are looking good.

I am going to guess you would have a decent view from up there.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

"Slate on 19th"

Rooftop rendering.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

http://www.nustyle.net/slate/

I also heard a guy in line at the Localmotive Food Truck said that Nustyle will open the restaurant by 2015.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

There was a blurb in the article about The Wire about this property, said it opens in August and all 117 units are preleased.