Baxter Arena (67th & Center Street)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Re: UNO Hockey Arena @ Aksarben

Post by Brad »

skinzfan23 wrote:Wow, any idea how many cement trucks it took?
You know, I didn't even ask, but I bet I can find out.

Hockey rink is 200x85, and may be a foot thick, but not sure how much rebar would take away from the total. It would be about 60 trucks with no rebar.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Photo Update!

1. Talking about the new bridge over the Papio Creek.

2. Looking at the Main Entrance of the new Arena (south side).

3. Close up of the new bridge over the papio creek.

4. Close up of the Main Entrance of the new Arena (south side).

5. Main Staircase inside the South Entrance.

6. Pratice / Community Ice

7. Left is the Team Store, Middle Ticket Windows, Right is the locker room entrance and elevator.

8. Polishing the concrete that was poured today.

9. Tunnel UNO will enter from.

10. UNO's Locker Room.

11. Concourse Level looking north west.

12. Concourse Level looking southeast.

13. Concourse Level looking east/southeast.

14. Shoot once end, looking east

15. Upper Bowl looking east / southeast

16. Pressbox center ice

17. Press level looking east

18. Stairs to the press level.

19. From the roof looking at Aksarben Village.

20. New Arbor Street is poured east of the arena.

21. Team Store. Inside the Main Entrance.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Sweet :thumb:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Thanks for all the photos. Looks great.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Looking at the photos, it's apparent that the "1st seat" ceremony held last week (or 2 weeks ago?) was entirely for show, and not that they were ready to start installing seats, as no others have been put in yet... Odd. Wonder why they chose to do the ceremony even though they weren't actually ready to start putting them in.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ben wrote:Looking at the photos, it's apparent that the "1st seat" ceremony held last week (or 2 weeks ago?) was entirely for show, and not that they were ready to start installing seats, as no others have been put in yet... Odd. Wonder why they chose to do the ceremony even though they weren't actually ready to start putting them in.
If I had to guess is that it was done before finals, and before everyone disappears for summer. Probably was the best time to get everyone together.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The same info you guys have already eluded to:

With new arena and Frozen Four team, Mav tickets are no tough sell
More than 450 season tickets for the inaugural year at UNO/Community Arena were purchased Monday, the first day they were available to the public. Two days later, approximately 400 remained.
“We’re thrilled from the response from our fans, not only the season-ticket holders and the donors, but just the general public,” he said. “It’s exciting to go from 3,300 season tickets last year to nearly 6,000 this year. Certainly, the success of the team has helped. But the response from the Omaha community is more than we anticipated at this time.”
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Are they putting the students on fold down risers? It would be interesting if they designed that so they can pull the risers back and push a stage back further to give the sides better LOS for concerts or graduations.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I did not ask, but that's the way it appeared to look.
bldgengineer2015
Home Owners Association

Post by bldgengineer2015 »

I can confirm that the student section, east end of the event level will have aluminum bleacher seating that is retractable.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

bldgengineer2015 wrote:I can confirm that the student section, east end of the event level will have aluminum bleacher seating that is retractable.
That's awesome they made a good spot for student seating. Hopefully students take full advantage of it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I am sure most of you have seen this sign to guide people off the interstate to the campus:

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

UNO's video from the same day I was shooting photos :

They included some nice time lapse of them pouring the concrete floor.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

WOW that was pretty awesome. I hope they publish some footage when they test freez the rinks. And thank to UNO for incorporating the community portion.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The UNO Arena will get a name on Wednesday according to WOWT.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:The UNO Arena will get a name on Wednesday according to WOWT.
Anyone have guesses?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:
Brad wrote:The UNO Arena will get a name on Wednesday according to WOWT.
Anyone have guesses?
They did specifically mention that Howard Hawks is going to be there...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Well mavpuck posted an interesting photo on their facebook page... "BaxterArena.com"
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Howard's Hawkey Haven?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Baxter Arena isn't all that bad.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Baxter Arena isn't all that bad.
No, great local tie.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

New Question.... HuskerMike pointed out that UNO also owns "BaxterColiseum.com”.

So will it be "Baxter Arena" and “Baxter Coliseum”.

I am agree with mike, I think it needs to be “Baxter Coliseum” as a nod to the Aksarben Coliseum.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

We could just call it the UNO Beetle. It will slow traffic down to a crawl even worse than it is now. We can also look forward to that crunching noise (like stepping on a beetle). It will be heard as cars speed down the hill on Center Street and collide with the red light runners at the stop light. Oh and it kind of looks like a beetle. I hate to be the only negative in this room of positives but even with the road they built dumping traffic onto Grover and Spring streets, the existing road can not support the congestion of the location. Is there a retention pond for the parking lot run off or will it go right into the creek? Good project, just a bad location; I think it would have been great at Crossroads.
UNO Beetle.jpg
UNO Beetle.jpg (27.76 KiB) Viewed 2217 times
Brad
City Council

Re: UNO's "Baxter Arena" @ Aksarben

Post by Brad »

UNO's new athletic arena gets a name

http://www.omaha.com/uno/hockey/uno-s-n ... html?x=234
Henry Cordes / World-Herald staff writer wrote:The Baxter Arena is the name of the new home for UNO Maverick athletics.

Joined by representatives of Omaha’s Baxter Auto, University of Nebraska at Omaha officials on Wednesday officially unveiled the name of the school’s new $82 million arena, nearing completion near 67th and Center Streets.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Baxter Arena Rendering:

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Looks like the deal is $400,000 annually for 10 years.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Does anyone remember offhand what Pinnacle paid for their naming rights?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Does anyone remember offhand what Pinnacle paid for their naming rights?

http://www.omaha.com/article/20111206/NEWS01/712069886
Joe Duggan WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:LINCOLN -- Lincoln's new arena has a name -- it will be called the Pinnacle Bank Arena.

Pinnacle Bank will pay $11.25 million over 25 years for the naming rights for the arena.

Mayor Chris Beutler made the announcement Tuesday during a press conference at the Lincoln Chamber of Commerce. Officials broke ground in September on the $168 million arena project.

The 16,000-seat sports and entertainment complex is being built in the historic Haymarket district and will be home to the University of Nebraska-Lincoln basketball teams.
So $450,000 a year.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

And for comparison's sake, CenturyLink/Qwest paid $14 million for 15 years for the Centurylink Center.

$933,333 per year.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

http://journalstar.com/naming-rights-a- ... 535aa.html
Omaha naming-rights deals

TD Ameritrade Park: $20 million for 20 years

CenturyLink Center: $14 million for 15 years

Werner Park: $1.525 million for 5 years

Top minor league arena naming-rights deals

CenturyLink Center, Omaha: $14 million for 15 years

KFC Yum! Center, Louisville, Ky.: $13.5 million for 10 years

Wells Fargo Arena, Des Moines, Iowa: $11.5 million for 20 years

Verizon Wireless Arena, Manchester, N.H.: $11.4 million for 15 years

Sears Centre, Hoffman Estates, Ill.: $10 million for 10 years

Sovereign Center, Reading, Pa.: $9 million for 30 years

Intrust Bank Arena, Wichita, Kan.: $8.75 million for 25 years

Alerus Center, Grand Forks, N.D.: $7.2 million for 20 years
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Why do you thing theres such a disparity b/w Pinnacle and the Clink naming rights cost? Or why did the Clink garner so much for name recognition? I have to imagine they would get plenty of name recognition with all the events that are on national channels there or BTN. Wells Fargo's is $575,000 a year.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The World-Herald only called it Baxter Arena in a quote. Did they lose out on naming rights again, and are pouting like they did with the Qwest/CenturyLink Center?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

How is it that little UNO can afford to build its own awesome arena(kudos) but big UNL has to get the city of Lincoln to build its for it? Not smacking, truthfully asking. I know UNO had a lot of donors, but why didn't UNL do the same?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

blueblood wrote:How is it that little UNO can afford to build its own awesome arena(kudos) but big UNL has to get the city of Lincoln to build its for it? Not smacking, truthfully asking. I know UNO had a lot of donors, but why didn't UNL do the same?
Three factors:

1. Lots of people who are willing to make large, but silent donations in Omaha.
2. A sizeable group of people in Omaha that are not willing to spend public money on this kind of thing.
3. UNO has not got a city full of people trained to just give the Huskers what ever they demand.

Looks like the naming rights are about in line with other centers on a per year basis. Now a days the tendency of paying premium for stadium naming rights are going away largely due to companies figuring out that they are not good advertising. A team goes south and you have the dogs playing at "Your Company" arena. A team leaves town and your company is the name brand of some beat empty arena hosting dog grooming contests. Even if the teams are solid, too many places are known as nick name. We don't refer to it as Century Link Arena, we call it the Clink. When it was Qwest, we referred to their staff as the Qwestapo. Not worth millions of dollars to have your name shortened to Clink. I certainly could see this place being referred to as the "Bax", or the "IceBax". If you are Baxter Automotive Group and you are paying $400K a year for the name, you are not going to be amused when KETV starts calling it the Bax.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Wasn't another reason for Lincoln their aging and probably obsolete Pershing Auditorium needing to be replaced?
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Nebraska athletics didn't need a new arena...it was the city of Lincoln that wanted a new arena. (Unfortunately, it was because they were upset that some events were leaving Lincoln for Omaha, which was a horrible reason to build.) Nebraska probably would have simply renovated Devaney instead of building an arena.

Hence, the athletic department received a rather sweetheart deal to fill the dates, because Nebraska was fine to stay at the Devaney Center.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

lmdramos wrote:Why do you thing theres such a disparity b/w Pinnacle and the Clink naming rights cost? Or why did the Clink garner so much for name recognition? I have to imagine they would get plenty of name recognition with all the events that are on national channels there or BTN. Wells Fargo's is $575,000 a year.

At the time there was decision about the naming rights being reduced in Lincoln, at least with Pinnacle being the choice, because First Nationals sponsorship with the University. I still find it strange to go to a Husker game at Pinnacle with their name everywhere and then see First Nationals name on the floor and sometimes of the video and ribbon boards. Everyone knew this going in so it is OK but still seems strange.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

HskrFanMike wrote:Nebraska athletics didn't need a new arena...it was the city of Lincoln that wanted a new arena. (Unfortunately, it was because they were upset that some events were leaving Lincoln for Omaha, which was a horrible reason to build.) Nebraska probably would have simply renovated Devaney instead of building an arena.

Hence, the athletic department received a rather sweetheart deal to fill the dates, because Nebraska was fine to stay at the Devaney Center.
This is true too. The City came after UNL as a partner. Hindsight would not say that this was a bad move for Lincoln though with what has become of the Haymarket area.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

nebugeater wrote:
HskrFanMike wrote:Nebraska athletics didn't need a new arena...it was the city of Lincoln that wanted a new arena. (Unfortunately, it was because they were upset that some events were leaving Lincoln for Omaha, which was a horrible reason to build.) Nebraska probably would have simply renovated Devaney instead of building an arena.

This is true too. The City came after UNL as a partner. Hindsight would not say that this was a bad move for Lincoln though with what has become of the Haymarket area.

Yeah, Pinnacle has been such a home run for development in that area. Love going to event down there. Everything is right outside the arena. If you are going to build a downtown stadium or arena, it's exactly how you want it done.

Greg
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

nebugeater wrote:
lmdramos wrote:Why do you thing theres such a disparity b/w Pinnacle and the Clink naming rights cost? Or why did the Clink garner so much for name recognition? I have to imagine they would get plenty of name recognition with all the events that are on national channels there or BTN. Wells Fargo's is $575,000 a year.

At the time there was decision about the naming rights being reduced in Lincoln, at least with Pinnacle being the choice, because First Nationals sponsorship with the University. I still find it strange to go to a Husker game at Pinnacle with their name everywhere and then see First Nationals name on the floor and sometimes of the video and ribbon boards. Everyone knew this going in so it is OK but still seems strange.

I will never understand Pinnacle signing that deal when your main tenant is very heavily sponsored by your rival bank. I was at the CU vs UNL game this year and heard more ads for First National than I did Pinnacle. It would be like if Gregg Young Chevy came in and Sponsored the Ice at the Baxter arena.