Spaces - 501 Park Ave Apartments

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Spaces - 501 Park Ave Apartments

Post by iamjacobm »

This sounds awesome!  Bluestone is converting an empty space into a $15 million 149 unit apartment building.  It is the large white building on Park Ave and Dewey.  The video at the link has an awesome rendering.

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/New ... index.html
The city said between 800 and 1,000 apartments are under development in Midtown and downtown Omaha. Among them, a $15 million project for Bluestone Development.

Owner Christian Christiansen said he looked for two years for the right property and found it at 501 Park Ave., which used to be a hospital.

Christiansen said construction for the 149 apartments is set to begin this year and will open in 2015.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Re: 501 Park Ave Apartments

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:This sounds awesome!  Bluestone is converting an empty space into a $15 million 149 unit apartment building.  It is the large white building on Park Ave and Dewey.  The video at the link has an awesome rendering.

http://www.ketv.com/news/local-news/New ... index.html
The city said between 800 and 1,000 apartments are under development in Midtown and downtown Omaha. Among them, a $15 million project for Bluestone Development.

Owner Christian Christiansen said he looked for two years for the right property and found it at 501 Park Ave., which used to be a hospital.

Christiansen said construction for the 149 apartments is set to begin this year and will open in 2015.

Sorry, this evening my reading comprehension is slow... are they keeping the white building, or demolishing it for a new building that will have 149 units?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I read it as a rehab with a facade upgrade.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:I read it as a rehab with a facade upgrade.

Gotcha. With the talk about the "open space" and then mentioning the building as well.. I just didn't know.

Thanks!
mj3141
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mj3141 »

Based on the rendering in the KETV video, it seems that the building will go from 2 floors to 3.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Great.  In the seventies( this shows my age) I lived on Park ave. I believe this was
Doctors Hospital then. Good to see this happening.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

In the 80s & 90s it was Park Ave Health Club
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

EastCB wrote:Great.  In the seventies( this shows my age) I lived on Park ave. I believe this was
Doctors Hospital then. Good to see this happening.
When it was a health club, it was said that the pool was haunted by the ghost of an alcoholic surgeon who killed his son in a botched appendectomy.  He then drowned himself by tying weights to himself and walking into the pool and wading deeper and deeper till he drowned.  When you swam in the far right hand lane, you heard a sound that sounded like a groan when you swam over the slope as the pool transitioned from the deep zone to the shallow zone.  I heard this at least three times.  First dismissing this as water in my ear, then as a noisy pipe.  I told the manager and he told me the story.   Probably BS, but it was a low pecking order hospital, where a lot of docs worked after getting kicked off the staffs of other hospitals.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:

Gotcha. With the talk about the "open space" and then mentioning the building as well.. I just didn't know.

Thanks!
I read it wrong.  TIF request in the agenda says they building will get torn down and replaced with a 4 floor 149 unit apartment building.  It will have 87 underground parking spaces, 45 on a surface lot and 44 on street stalls.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:

Thanks!
I read it wrong.  TIF request in the agenda says they building will get torn down and replaced with a 4 floor 149 unit apartment building.  It will have 87 underground parking spaces, 45 on a surface lot and 44 on street stalls.
Ah, sounds good, thanks for the update! I was finally able to watch the video attached to the story and it looked like an entirely new building, but I figured it was just rehab work. A new building will be good, though.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Hopefully it will be slightly less haunted hahahaah
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

I lived in this building for 1 year during the early 80's but had to move because I couldn't afford the heating bills.  Rent was $400.00 per month and included health club membership.  At the time this was a very upscale health club, pool, bar, nice racquetball courts..etc.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Interesting mix of apartment styles for this project.  109 studios, 20 1 bedroom and 20 2 bedroom units.  Really hitting the young single demographic pretty hard.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

"Redevelopment Project Plan located at 501 Park Avenue providing for the demolition of an under-utilized 3-story apartment building and the construction of a new 4-story apartment building comprised of 149 market-rate apartment units with an 87-stall underground parking garage, 45 stalls on-site, and 44 additional adjacent street parking stalls"
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130603/M ... ce-to-live
Demolition begins this month on a three-story, painted brick building at Park and Dewey Avenues in Omaha, making way for Spaces Apartments, a new $15 million complex that the developer says will include “geeky cool” amenities such as a bicycle workbench.

About $2 million of the Bluestone Development project will be funded by tax-increment financing, or the use of property taxes generated by the development for related public infrastructure.

The project will feature 154 apartments, traditional amenities such as a pool, a small basketball court, a gym and a lounge area as well as some less traditional ones: a game room featuring vintage arcade games, bicycle storage lockers on each floor and the communal workbench, a bocci ball court, an outdoor fire pit and a pet grooming room.
Sounds like a good option for the city.  A huge addition for Park Ave as well.  Pretty subdued design, but that is probably to be expected.

I also found this quote interesting, I hope so much they put something like this in North Downtown eventually.
Christensen said this project would be “the prototype” for Bluestone's buildings going forward.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Bomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by Bomaha »

Just incredible
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Deep down I really wish all these developers, like Nustyle, Bluestone, etc would work together on developing North Downtown around the CLink. They do such a wonderful job with these apartments, both creating and rehabbing. Absolutely love it.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Spaces Apartments

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Not sure if this is mentioned in another topic...
Demolition begins this month on a three-story, painted brick building at Park and Dewey Avenues in Omaha, making way for Spaces Apartments, a new $15 million complex that the developer says will include “geeky cool” amenities such as a bicycle workbench.

About $2 million of the Bluestone Development project will be funded by tax-increment financing, or the use of property taxes generated by the development for related public infrastructure.

The project will feature 154 apartments, traditional amenities such as a pool, a small basketball court, a gym and a lounge area as well as some less traditional ones: a game room featuring vintage arcade games, bicycle storage lockers on each floor and the communal workbench, a bocci ball court, an outdoor fire pit and a pet grooming room.

Read More...

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130603/M ... ce-to-live
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Been talked about a little in this thread.  EDIT: MERGED  The thread name probably needs an update though.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

MadMartin8 wrote:Deep down I really wish all these developers, like Nustyle, Bluestone, etc would work together on developing North Downtown around the CLink. They do such a wonderful job with these apartments, both creating and rehabbing. Absolutely love it.
NuStyle and Bluestone have actually already invested in North Downtown buildings.  The biggest ones holding the cards right now are New Street(which isn't going to build anytime soon), Shamrock(who knows), the city(not likely) and Creighton(good growth, but have some huge vacant land holdings).
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

If I am not mistaken, they also own the lot on the SW corner of 29th& Dewey building something call Brando.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Demo underway.

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Christian Christensen on Grow Omaha:
http://www.kfab.com/player/?mid=2343367 ... me=podcast
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The new building is officially u/c now.  First foundations are in.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This building has a really big footprint.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

I think this is a bit moment for midtown and especially the Park Ave corridor.  Just having a development of this caliber with a Park Ave address is going to keep up the momentum of changing perceptions of that area.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Glad to see you back posting, Seth!
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

nativeomahan wrote:Glad to see you back posting, Seth!
Thanks!
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Elevator shaft is up.  Only 4 floors, but this is a really big building.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Interesting signs there.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

Thanks for the pics!

Yeah, the signs with people moving furniture is kind of odd.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Clearly they are not yet awaiting anybody's stuff. There isn't a building yet.

I really don't like when a marketing team gets too literal with the image they're trying to give something. Don't put "Geeky cool" on your sign. Let people figure that out for themselves.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Its just branding.  I don't see how calling your space "Geeky Cool" is any different than calling your space "Luxury" just obviously going after a different demographic.

As for the project the building might pop really quick now.  Lots of lumber is on site, those wood built buildings always go up quickly.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

These apartments are going to have an incredible view of DT..  :y  :y
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

guitarguy wrote:These apartments are going to have a geeky cool view of DT..  :y  :y
fixed  :;):
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Their view will be:
Coyote
City Council

Re: Spaces - 501 Park Ave Apartments

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Spaces - 501 Park Ave Apartments

Post by iamjacobm »

Fits perfectly in the neighborhood for such a large project. Really great to see new major construction in Midtown, going to add a lot to the area.