The Wire Apartments (19th and Dodge)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

The Wire Apartments (19th and Dodge)

Post by ShawJ »

MODS, please move this if there's already a thread.

I received an email today about the Northwestern Bell building (1901 Dodge, I think) being converted to apartments. Is there something already on this project and I completely missed it? At first I thought this was the 19th and Capitol building, but Emporis says the building is on 1901 Dodge St.
Last edited by ShawJ on Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:18 am, edited 2 times in total.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

This building?

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:This building?

That's what I assumed.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Linkin5 wrote:This building?

I think it's the shorter white one to the left.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

If they do, they better do something with that tumorous growth on the back end... Probably the ugliest building downtown.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This one?  There is no 1901 Dodge according to the county.  This would be the closest to that address.

http://douglascone.wgxtreme.com/java/wg ... 0310710000

http://douglascone.wgxtreme.com/java/wg ... 3&bldgid=1

FYI the brick one is on Douglas.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

That's it. Look like it'll become apartments soon.

Maybe this should be in the rumors section? It looks certain but I don't have a link to provide. I figured there was an old thread on this already.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ShawJ wrote:I figured there was an old thread on this already.
I thought there was one too.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

RNcyanide wrote:If they do, they better do something with that tumorous growth on the back end... Probably the ugliest building downtown.
What sucks is it used to be awesome, but then the 60s architecture hit and ruined it.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Linkin5 wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:If they do, they better do something with that tumorous growth on the back end... Probably the ugliest building downtown.
What sucks is it used to be awesome, but then the 60s architecture hit and ruined it.
We were punk'd by architecture...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
justnick
Human Relations

Post by justnick »

fingers crossed, yo
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

About a month ago they painted the white part on the bottom of the phone building brown.  Huge difference.  It's amazing what a little paint will do. In fact, I think it looks nice.  And for what it's worth, The Kiewit Conference Center still holds the distinction for ugliest building downtown.
Garrett
Planning Board

Post by Garrett »

Maybe if it is being converted they can add windows and such to it...
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Axel wrote:Maybe if it is being converted they can add windows and such to it...
The brick building is not being converted.  Its the white one next to it which has windows.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

nebport5 wrote:And for what it's worth, The Kiewit Conference Center still holds the distinction for ugliest building downtown.
.....and to think we gave up the 18-story 1911 Holabird & Roche designed Woodmen of the World building for that monstrosity. Barf.
Last edited by GetUrban on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

GetUrban wrote:
nebport5 wrote:And for what it's worth, The Kiewit Conference Center still holds the distinction for ugliest building downtown.
.....and to think we gave up the 18-story 1911 Holabird & Roche designed Woodmen of the World building for that monstrosity. Barf.
I know.  Just absolutely disgusting!

your link isn't working, so here is another one.

Here is a larger photo:
http://content.omaha.com/media/maps/onl ... oodmen.jpg

Last edited by Brad on Thu Apr 25, 2013 1:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

That's a better photo than the one I was trying to link. Thanks!
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Here's a picture of the original Northwestern bell building on the left, shame what they did to it.

http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bil ... 8&maxh=400
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

There are pictures of the original Woodman of the World building in the Durham Photo Collection.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That is a huge building.  I wonder if NuStyle is just going to keep the hits coming with this one.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Wow... If you take Jobbers Canyon, Woodmen of the World and Hotel Fontenelle it seems as if Omaha has reduced its skyline in half over the last 50 years. Such a damn shame!

-adam
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

guitarguy wrote:Wow... If you take Jobbers Canyon, Woodmen of the World and Hotel Fontenelle it seems as if Omaha has reduced its skyline in half over the last 50 years. Such a darn shame!

-adam
It's a shame to lose any historical landmark, but I would rather see them die with dignity than watch them rot from neglect.

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

RNcyanide wrote:
guitarguy wrote:Wow... If you take Jobbers Canyon, Woodmen of the World and Hotel Fontenelle it seems as if Omaha has reduced its skyline in half over the last 50 years. Such a darn shame!

-adam
It's a shame to lose any historical landmark, but I would rather see them die with dignity than watch them rot from neglect.
Very true but could the city have at least attempted to preserve the beautiful historic buildings downtown? I'm sure most of us would be proud of downtown if these buildings were still there.

-adam
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

guitarguy wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:

-adam
Very true but could the city have at least attempted to preserve the beautiful historic buildings downtown? I'm sure most of us would be proud of downtown if these buildings were still there.

-adam
Why yes, of course. I just remember reading that the Fontenelle stood vacant for over a decade while it deteriorated.

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

guitarguy wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:

-adam

-adam
Don't forget the Medical Arts Building or the Post Office or the Butternut building.  We have lost a ton.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:
guitarguy wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:

-adam

-adam
Don't forget the Medical Arts Building or the Post Office or the Butternut building.  We have lost a ton.
Not that it's any consolation, but didn't they preserve part of the Medical Arts building inside First National?

The Bride
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They did.  A shrine to the destruction of history is all it is.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:They did.  A shrine to the destruction of history is all it is.
I wonder if people will look back in 75 years and mourn the loss of the Civic or Crossroads...

The Bride
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I would be more than happy to help plan and organize a massive party to send the Civic and Crossroads to the scrap heap haha. The amount of hideous 1960's architecture that got built around town truly is amazing.

-adam
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

guitarguy wrote:I would be more than happy to help plan and organize a massive party to send the Civic and Crossroads to the scrap heap haha. The amount of hideous 1960's architecture that got built around town truly is amazing.

-adam
Imagine if they had built the Woodmen Tower windowless like the Northwestern Bell building and Kayser Hall.

The Bride
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

nebport5 wrote:About a month ago they painted the white part on the bottom of the phone building brown.  Huge difference.  It's amazing what a little paint will do. In fact, I think it looks nice.  And for what it's worth, The Kiewit Conference Center still holds the distinction for ugliest building downtown.
Now that Omaha has the Clink, the Hilton and many other places to hold conferences, maybe the Kiewit Conference Center can be torn down and the land sold so that FINALLY a hotel could be built ON the mall?  I suppose in these times for downtown Omaha it would be a 5 story hotel as opposed to a 20 story on, but still.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

The "Ugly" building at the start of this thread houses telephone and internet networking equipment.  A majority of the citys phone and internet traffic flows through that building.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Joe_Sovereign wrote:The "Ugly" building at the start of this thread houses telephone and internet networking equipment.  A majority of the citys phone and internet traffic flows through that building.
The building could hold the Ark of the Covenant and it would still be ugly...because, well, it's ugly.
No posts exist for this topic
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Joe_Sovereign wrote:The "Ugly" building at the start of this thread houses telephone and internet networking equipment.  A majority of the citys phone and internet traffic flows through that building.
The building could hold the Ark of the Covenant and it would still be ugly...because, well, it's ugly.
No, it's only good enough for the first copy of the 10 commandments that broke.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

[youtube][/youtube]
Stable genius.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Looks like this building actually has more sq footage than the recently completed Northern Natural Gas building does.  That building had 194 units, if this building did go apartment I would assume at the very least 200 units.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

I thought there was some kind of announcement about the whitish building going apartment about a year or so ago.  I do know asbestos removal was done on the building in the last year.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

Found something from a little while ago:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/17574877 ... -Omaha-NE/
This potential redevelopment project comtemplates the conversion of the former 14-story Northwestern Bell office tower into a high-rise apartment building. Twelve full-sized floors and two smaller penthouse floors. Interior parking with access off of Dodge Street. Possible additional vehicle access off of 20th Street.
However I do know that this project is still very much alive and that NUStyle is behind it.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Not sure if I saw this on earlier posts, but it was bought by NuStyle in April.

http://douglascone.wgxtreme.com/?d=1