Park Plaza Condos

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

MrWh1t3
Home Owners Association

Park Plaza Condos

Post by MrWh1t3 »

Since some of these are still being built I will put it in here. I am thinking about getting a place at the Park Plaza.

I was wondering what some of your views are on this property.

With all the new mutual things going on will it make this property better?

I would just like to hear all your comments so I can make a more sound decission.

Thanks,
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Since I see this building out my window every day I'll tell you what I know. There are some little office buidlings around that might make it harder to get in and out of with the extra people. My mom had a friend that lived there in college on the top floor, and her biggest complaint was that it was cold in the winter with the wind. I'm sure they've fixed it since then (the 80's). But with the coming stuff at Mutual it would probably be smart to get one now and watch the value go up later if you decide to sell it.
DTO
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

The area will see an infusion of investment with the Mutual land being developed, but remember, a lot of that will be residential. The neighborhood directly north is a little questionable (from my days at Creighton) with a lot of homes converted to multi-unit rentals. However, Creighton has purchased/demolished a lot of homes in the 30th-32nd/California-Burt area for future expansion. This could be a good investment but might take a little longer to appreciate.

As far as the building - it will be good for your investment that they are keeping the offices open and there is associated parking. I have been in units on the top floor - beautiful views, that will remain unobstructed due to its location on the hill and proximity to the interstate.
MrWh1t3
Home Owners Association

agree

Post by MrWh1t3 »

I agree with those statements. It might take a little longer and also there is a lot of residential units coming up but there is something to be said about the (warehouse feel, lofty condo look or whatever you want to call it) I would assume the new housing wont have this appeal?

I think I will go take a look at them and when I get back, I let you all know my opinion once I see first hand what they look like. I might even head over there over lunch, then head downtown for some sushi.
MrWh1t3
Home Owners Association

I ask another question

Post by MrWh1t3 »

Would you get a condo here at park plaza or would you wait and see what the Mutual residential area has to offer in the next couple years?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I would wait for Mutual but that's just me.
DTO
RevitalizeOmaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by RevitalizeOmaha »

If you wait don't count on the current pricing as these condos are priced based on the neighborhood not being in as high of demand. Once you factor in the Mutual properties the values will go up.
futrecndvlpr
Home Owners Association

Post by futrecndvlpr »

MrWh1t3, just curious, did you ever get around to taking a look at Park Plaza? If so your thoughts...
MrWh1t3
Home Owners Association

They were

Post by MrWh1t3 »

They were nice actually, the reason I decided against it was the Mutual of Omaha 600 housing units going up.

I don't know if you got to see the Hill project but they were a lot nicer than that.

Go here http://www.omahacondoconnection.com/parkplaza.htm for the virtual tour, you will get a better idea than if I tell you..
MrWh1t3
Home Owners Association

Park Plaza

Post by MrWh1t3 »

Anyone still think that Park Plaza condos are a good buy/investment? I was thinking about picking a one bedroom up possibly. I haven’t really been keeping up with what is going on. I have been really busy with school. Are there any other developments out there that would be a better buy/investment for right around the same money?

Side question…Mutual of Omaha development still going to happen?
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

If it were me, I wouldn't want to mess with the Park Plaza. There are so many code violations that it isn't even funny. There was a story last week on the news about how they shafted some of the people that bought what they thought were up to date condos only to find out later that they personally have to pay to fix these code violations. Anyways, I would be cautious if I were you.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

That sounds like stupidity on the purchaser for not asking questions or even touring their future home. :roll:
Ingersoll1978
Library Board

Post by Ingersoll1978 »

I've been in them before...and the building is old. You get what you pay for. I would hope they would do something though if they are going condo. Unfortunately, unless its renovated from its shell, I wouldn't touch it. Wait for the Mutual of Omaha project condos or get into Waterstreet.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I've thought about looking into the Twin Towers, especially since I work at Mutual. That would be so convenient for me for work and hanging out.
DTO
MrWh1t3
Home Owners Association

Twin Towers

Post by MrWh1t3 »

Is there a link for Twin Towers or anymore information some place else?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

They have a phone # I see on the sign everyday. I'll haev to grab it for you.

EDIT: I have an appointment to go see some of the units on Thursday. :)
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I just got back from the Twin Towers looking into buying one. The penthouse was bought already. The lady that bought has some high up connection and an interest in the area. The broker made it sound like she knew something big was coming to the area.

I absolutely fell in love with one of the units. Both I saw were lofts. The first one had a picture perfect view of DTO in the window. The other one I really want, had a balcony and more work done on it. It had a nice wood floor (think Beebe & Runyan for those of you who have seen it.) and a skylight. The view of DTO from the balcony only let you see the Woodmen and the South Building of Mutual (which I work in.)

I'm really going to look into making this work. I'll keep you posted on how things go.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

The Twin Towers have appealed to me for a long time as hidden jewels. They're extremely affordable urban condo living in what I consider to be a beautiful modernist building just waiting for a little lovin'. And the city views and proximity to great urban neighborhoods and parks is fabulous.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
MrWh1t3
Home Owners Association

pics

Post by MrWh1t3 »

Anyone have a website or a link to some pictures? What kind of sq ft do you get for the money? I am thinking something like 1 bedroom (800-850) or two bedroom (900-1000).

Thanks
MrWh1t3
Home Owners Association

Today

Post by MrWh1t3 »

Well, I went and looked that the Park Plaza condos today. They appear to be pretty nice. There was a nice one bedroom for 85k that I really liked. I think I might have to go with that one.

Any last comments about the project?

Anyone know what the Mutual of Omaha condos might run?
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I noticed that the Park Plaza people finally got wise and stripped off those ugly colored tiles at the top of the building.  What an improvement... MrWh1t3 is going to be laughing all the way to the bank when Mutual's development comes to realization.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.