Official: Towns at Seventh and Little Italy

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Official: Towns at Seventh and Little Italy

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From today's W-H:

'By next summer, the former Caniglia's restaurant south of downtown Omaha could be the site of 35 town houses featuring front porches and tiny lawns.

Bluestone Development is working with the Caniglia family for the project that will replace the restaurant and surrounding parking lots between Seventh and Eighth and Pierce and Pacific Streets for its first phase.

The new Towns at Seventh and Little Italy, Christensen said, will feature small lawns, garages and unfinished basements. The two-story town houses will range from 1,200 square feet to 1,800 square feet and sell for $190,000 to $225,000.'..

The complete W-H story link:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=2184309

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Personally I am satisfied at this point that there is plenty of housing downtown.. And now it would be nice to start seeing new businesses and business expansion plans appearing weekly.
15-17, 26, 32
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

This is great as this is just outside of downtown in a neighborhood that has not seen much new development in years. A great infill project.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Absolutely a great infill project. Cheesey name and overpriced, but a great infill project, nonetheless.

And, MTO, at this time, there are lots of downtown PROJECTS for housing and things that are in progress, but as we've talked about in a recent thread, there are only a couple of projects who are just starting to BEGIN to move people in. So we're in the start of the massive move in period for the numerous downtown projects we've been hearing about over the past year or so. As more and more people move downtown, and, hopefully, as more and more projects are announced, we'll start to see that commercial development to go along with the increased population within the next year or two.

Again, this is just the beginning. :)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Do you think I joined the board yesterday or what? :roll:
15-17, 26, 32
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Very well put Streets, and a very good point! Personally I am glad to see housing so near downtown that isn't 250K- 450K in price. This project makes very close to downtown housing available to some that are priced out of the current downtown condo boom.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

Hey Street, don't you work for this guy? Give us some more details.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

BTW I'm not talking about a grocer, I was referring to jobs as in corporate jobs..
15-17, 26, 32
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Great infill...yikes on the architecture though.
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

The architecture fits the neihgborhood and will help the new development blend in with existing structures.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

The vertical siding is better than horizontal siding. It makes it a little less suburban.
DTO
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

For future reference:

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Plus, there are some great brick and stone duplex homes over there that should have been emulated before this design (granted they are in disrepair, but they were nice aesthetically). I would have liked to see smaller brownstone type homes, or even traditional row homes with off street parking behind.

I have to say I'm disappointed in Bluestone on this project. Coming off of the grand slam design of SoMa, this is pretty blah.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I'm not dissatisfied with the design at all..Not every development has to be 'over the top' to be appealing..

I think this simple, attractive design fits in very nicely with the surroundings of the neighborhood it will ultimately be located in..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Excellent comments, Finn! This porject could well appeal to some West O folks who say they need a front and back yard, garages, etc. And the pricing is well affordable to those who say downtown or near-downtown living is unachievable. This is such a short walk across the 10th Street bridge to the Old Market, I would hope this project is a huge success. And I like the design. It really does fit in the neighborhood well, and doesn't scream "I don't want to be associated with Little Italy". I reallly hope this spurs more near downtown projects. It isn't all about the condos and apartments of downtown. More density near downtown makes a better case for more retail located downtown.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I think this development looks fantastic, and holds the most promise for my eventual relocation close to downtown. Without a near downtown infill project like this, the closest I'm probably going to get is Field Club, Bemis Park, etc.

I hope too... that more contemporary row house projects eventually come along, in north downtown for example.

Given the wild success of SoMa, compared to other loft/condo type conversions throughout downtown... I'd think developers would be racing to build more, similar projects. Heck, I'd even consider one of those Triton homes close to downtown.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Personally, I think a developer has a little more creative license in a setting like the Old Market. In this case, we're still talking about a residential area. I'm just ecstatic it doesn't look like what was done with the old Logan-Fontenelle project site... ie split entry homes in the city.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Where are those? Forgive my ignorance.

-Big E
Stable genius.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

That's about Rockbrook from your Regency. ;)
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

I knew you would respond to that E. I gotta throw you a bone every now and again since you are constantly being beat up on the forum! :wink:

But, I would find it OK to knock down one of those shoddy homes to build a new one that fit in with the neighborhood! You can only put makeup on a pig for so long!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Disagreed with, yea... but beat up? I'm an army of one. ;)

-Big E
Stable genius.
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

This project looks great and will be a fine addition to the area. The real life structures will look better than the rendered image shown in the newspaper.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

infill infill infill :twisted:
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sunday July 16, 2006

Last edited by Brad on Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

That area looks to be full of historical buildings that with a little TLC could turn the area into an awesome little neighborhood.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That area looks to be full of historical buildings that with a little TLC could turn the area into an awesome little neighborhood.
It looks like from the OWH drawing that all of the historic buildings are going to stay. I agree that will be great to see the few that are empty fixed up.

Now if we can just get the Burlington Station project moving along, it will be a great neighborhood.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Simply terrific pics Brad..Thanks for posting them..

(I assume they were shot July 16th as opposed to July 26th :wink: )..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

You are right, I fixed the date. Fat Fingers!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Yeesh! Again, I hope they put a little more "umph" into their housing designs before they build them.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Swift wrote:Yeesh! Again, I hope they put a little more "umph" into their housing designs before they build them.
What exactly would you want? Screaming bells and whistles??

I'll repeat what I stated on an earlier post to this thread-

I'm not dissatisfied with the design at all..Not every development has to be 'over the top' to be appealing.. I think this simple, attractive design fits in very nicely with the surroundings of the neighborhood it will ultimately be located in..

Then again, everyone is entitled to their opinion..But I get the sense that some people will never be satisfied..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:
Swift wrote:Yeesh! Again, I hope they put a little more "umph" into their housing designs before they build them.
What exactly would you want? Screaming bells and whistles??

I'll repeat what I stated on an earlier post to this thread-

I'm not dissatisfied with the design at all..Not every development has to be 'over the top' to be appealing.. I think this simple, attractive design fits in very nicely with the surroundings of the neighborhood it will ultimately be located in..

Then again, everyone is entitled to their opinion..But I get the sense that some people will never be satisfied..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
I'm not asking for over the top, I'm asking for something that isn't plain, uninspired, and ugly.

Now really, that isn't too much to ask for. Especially when you compare it with the other Bluestone developments.

These look like the houses I used to draw when I was in kindergarden.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Swift, I do agree that they are plain. However, you have to take into account the pricing and the target market they are trying to hit. Lower prices = less design features. It's infill, atleast they are adding more population to that area and that's all that really matters at this point. :D
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I think they look fine and I may even live in one some day.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

adam186 wrote:Swift, I do agree that they are plain. However, you have to take into account the pricing and the target market they are trying to hit. Lower prices = less design features. It's infill, atleast they are adding more population to that area and that's all that really matters at this point. :D
I totally disagree, Prices have nothing to do with looks when you are in this price range. You have to remember that there is a decent sized percentage of Omahans that are very traditional and they don't want a modern house they like the white picket fence look.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

My initial opinion was that they seemed a bit bland. They have since grown on me and I think they will look awesome in the neighborhood. I was thinking they should have kept the restaurant bldng for retail. oh well not my money. In all great project!!!
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Brad wrote:
adam186 wrote:Swift, I do agree that they are plain. However, you have to take into account the pricing and the target market they are trying to hit. Lower prices = less design features. It's infill, atleast they are adding more population to that area and that's all that really matters at this point. :D
I totally disagree, Prices have nothing to do with looks when you are in this price range. You have to remember that there is a decent sized percentage of Omahans that are very traditional and they don't want a modern house they like the white picket fence look.
I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the white picket fence ideal...these just seem really basic, architecture 101.

It's buildings like these that make people call Omaha "dowdy."

They seem completely out of place for the style and class displayed by the rest of the advertising campaign. The rest of the ad. campaign is all hip and young and these are boring, suburban, 50's, white bread houses.

If you're going to build densly populated urban houses, they have to be aesthetically pleasing, otherwise they turn into ghettos.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

YOU don't find them aesthetically pleasing. Well wouldn't you know it... you can't please everyone.

And they are completely 'in place' where the look of the surrounding neighborhood is concerned. Don't be mistaken, there are already homes which have been restored/are well maintained in the area. If they were building split entry homes, I'd be upset. But these homes fit perfectly within the area.

I think Bluestone is going to hit another home run.

Here's the 'style' of homes we're talking about blending in with...

midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

Well put J.

Incidently is that graffiti on the bluestone sign?
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

jhuston wrote:YOU don't find them aesthetically pleasing. Well wouldn't you know it... you can't please everyone.

And they are completely 'in place' where the look of the surrounding neighborhood is concerned. Don't be mistaken, there are already homes which have been restored/are well maintained in the area. If they were building split entry homes, I'd be upset. But these homes fit perfectly within the area.

I think Bluestone is going to hit another home run.

Here's the 'style' of homes we're talking about blending in with...

I never said they didn't fit in with the surrounding houses. But why should a new development "coast in under the bar" when they could very very easily "raise the bar."

Especially for a new development seconds away from the old market...do we really need to throw up a few more generic, small town, architecturally insignificant houses?

I thought the whole thing now is that Omaha is becoming bigger and better? So why are we just settling for these bland cookie cutter designs in a neighborhood that could easily become swank and influential?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Swift wrote: I thought the whole thing now is that Omaha is becoming bigger and better? So why are we just settling for these bland cookie cutter designs in a neighborhood that could easily become swank and influential?
I suspect we just have a fundamental disagreement..What you call 'dowdy' and 'bland cookie cutter' designs..We call simple, atttractive, appealing and blending in nicely with the surrounding neighborhood..Not every neighborhood has the architectural history to become a Gold Coast..Nor should they try to be..Certainly not this Little Italy section of town where this development will reside..

If you can't be satisfied with it's 'dowdyness', be satisfied that the current state of Omaha is healthy enough to recognize that developments like this actually need to occur for urban infill health..Whereas 15-20 years ago, this area most likely would have been overlooked and potentially gone completely to heck..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!