The Giovanna (6th & Pierce Streets)

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

Wow!! Little Italy is sure taking off.

Quote from the latest World Herald article about the Towns in Little Italy project.

The neighborhood also has attracted another developer who plans the Giovanna, another new project of 16 Italian-themed town houses and two commercial spaces at Sixth and Pierce Streets.
The Giovanna also is expected to seek such financing, which allows developers to use the property tax revenue a project generates to pay part of the development costs. The developers are working with city planners but have not submitted a formal proposal.

Plans at this point call for 16 town houses priced at $230,000 to $240,000 and a commercial space at each of the corners, said Tim Steinbach, a co-owner with Jim Posey and Chuck Lacey of the development company, 3 Development.

Steinbach said the $4.2 million project is planned for both sides of Sixth Street on the south side of Pierce on property now occupied by Baratta's Bar and a storage facility for River City Barricade Co. The purchase of the bar property has closed, and the other property is under contract, he said.

Steinbach said the partners were attracted to Little Italy for the same reasons Bluestone was drawn there: a neighborhood feel that's family friendly yet close to all the activity and attractions of downtown.

He said the architecture features Italian "touches and flairs."

"We wanted an organic look, not like someone dropped a large facade in," Steinbach said. "A lot of folks here are second-, third- or fourth-generation residents. We wanted to respect and contribute to that."

The project is named for the matriarch of the Caniglia family, Steinbach said.
The full article

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=46&u_sid=2221775
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Re: The Giovanna (6th & Pierce Streets)

The World Herald has renderings of this project in their article. WoW!!!!!!

Very cool!!

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Great!
Omaha World Herald wrote:Bob Caniglia, whose family has owned the land involved in the Bluestone project for more than 100 years, said he and his brothers chose to work with Bluestone because they believed the result would be a development that wouldn't disturb the culture of the community.

"I'm confident our ancestors would be very proud," he said.
I am glad that they will honor the heritage of Littly Italy and what it has meant to the development of Omaha.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

I absolutely love the look of this project. This in combination with the Bluestone project will make a great addition to the city.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

The World Herald beat us on this one!

Now that's the type of development that Little Italy should be getting.
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Wow this area is going to be great! I can't believe the Herald beat us on this. Hopefully that won't happen again.
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

wow! 16 of those is going to create quite a bit of great looking density. I love the look and details
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Swift wrote:The World Herald beat us on this one!
Not everyone.. It was discussed at the forum meet! It was talked about as a "Spanish (actually Italian) verson" of SoMa

Will this shut up everyone bitching about the "Whit picket fence" development across the street?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:Will this shut up everyone bitching about the "Whit picket fence" development across the street?
As far as I'm concerned, all it will do is underscore how badly the design ball was dropped on them.

But holy smokes, The Giovanna could be awesome. OmahaByDesign and the city need to put some pressure on to force - not direct - force future development in the near downtown areas into this type of density. I think in another 15-20 years (or whenever the next real estate boom hits, or when gas hits $6/gal), the area around there will be introduced to the term "knockdown", and Giovannas will sprout up all over the place.

Can't come too soon for me.

-Big E
Stable genius.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

Wow, those are amazing. These projects just keep coming and coming. It doesn't look like there will be an end anytime soon.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

UPDATE:

RED = Canigla Little Itally LLC
GREEN = The Giovanna
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

This is ridiculously fantastic. Not only will these two projects be great additions to the neighborhood and the city, but I think it will inspire a lot of the homeowners in the area to spruce up their properties. I think this will be a fantastic, family-oriented urban neighborhood.

And I'm still with Swift and Big E on the designs of the project.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That's a quality project! I hope this starts a trend of more attached rowhouses outside of DT. The commercial space is an added bonus. Who would have thought that this area would turn into such a hot spot for great development.
DTO
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Plans at this point call for 16 town houses priced at $230,000 to $240,000 and a commercial space at each of the corners, said Tim Steinbach, a co-owner with Jim Posey and Chuck Lacey of the development company, 3 Development.

I guess I see it a pricing some people/families out of that market who might want to live down there. Little Italy at least tried to make a little more moderate price although they started at $198,000.

Of course from what i hear the home real estate market around here is turning into a buyer's market these days so who knows what the final price will end up being.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

That IS a beautiful project. Now I know why they were doing all that sewer conduit work the few times I was down in that area this summer. Here's to hoping this becomes the spark that really ignites the south downtown area. I'm with Big E, that area does have the potential to become really cool down the road.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

DTO Luv wrote:That's a quality project! I hope this starts a trend of more attached rowhouses outside of DT. The commercial space is an added bonus. Who would have thought that this area would turn into such a hot spot for great development.
Me :)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
midtown charlie
Human Relations

:lol: Yeah I was waiting for it to happen as well. This was a natural due to it's proximity to the old market. I can't wait until they level that 1990's strip mall on 13th and put in a 5 story condo building with ground floor retail. While we are at it.....any bets on when East Village takes off?
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

W-T-F is East Village?
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Am I wrong. What is the name of the area that is just east of I-480. I thought it was called East Village? The area just before you get to downtown proper? The neighborhood name is on those lightpole banners.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Park east?? If that what you are talking about, I agree wholeheartedly. The area between 20th to I480 (actually clear to Mutual) and between Dodge and Leavenworth is prime for a boom of revitalization, IMO. Sure there are some rough spots, but the area has a ton of old brick buildings and is super urban. It could be an amazing area with some TLC and time.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Yeah Josh..I've always know the area as Park East or the Near South Side..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Wow! I must have missed this thread during my attempt to catch up on everything... once again, I'm kicking myself for not buying into this area from the moment I heard about the Towns (probably not for sale any longer... but there was a decent, reasonably priced residence right about 9th and Pierce a few weeks ago).

What a great looking development.

And yes, it's definitely Park East... which is the transition between Midtown and Downtown. There's all sorts of nice architecture in this area... a catalyst will be when 'the Hill' project finally gets in gear.

Park East district gallery
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Thanks for the correction. My mind must be slipping in my old age.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I guess the Rorick falls into the Park East neighborhood association so I'll be living in Park East.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

8-24-2006

View of the fountain and RFP

eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Thanks for the pictures Brad!

I think I see our brick rowhouses in the background there too.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

the1wags wrote:Park east?? If that what you are talking about, I agree wholeheartedly. The area between 20th to I480 (actually clear to Mutual) and between Dodge and Leavenworth is prime for a boom of revitalization, IMO. Sure there are some rough spots, but the area has a ton of old brick buildings and is super urban. It could be an amazing area with some TLC and time.
Yes, it's Park East (haha...not Near South or East Village).

I've been waiting for this area to take off for a LOOONG time. As Josh said, it has so many great, urban, brick residential buildings, and TONS of infill opportunities!!!

How amazing would it be to have a continual urban fabric from the River to the Med Center!!!

Yeah, it's going to happen...ESPECIALLY with all the TOD's from the Streetcar line! :)
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Giovanna moves forward to city council... TIF eligible.

World Herald: http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2256241
The two L-shaped buildings had to be redesigned to comply with Planning Department demands to include commercial spaces on the ground floor of both corner units.

Steinbach said the development company plans to have its offices in one of the storefronts. A gallery, law office, bakery or other commercial tenant is being sought for the other 1,000-square-foot space
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Very good news!..

I love to see proposed projcets move closer ro reality from the visionary state..

:) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

Good News! :D

Developers get go-ahead to make Little Italy a little bigger

The Omaha Planning Board cleared the way for Giovanna this week by recommending that the City Council approve the plans and made it eligible for tax-increment financing.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=163 ... nd=2823025
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Of course, Great News!

I think that these condos are overpriced, however. They're not downtown or in any kind of affluent neighborhood. What justifies the high price?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

The market justifies the price. If they sell... they're justified. And I'm betting they sell.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I think it's called speculation. Speculation by the realtors thinking they "should" be that price.
15-17, 26, 32
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yeah...I know. It's a pitty, though.

Oh well. As long as they sell! I suppose if they don't the prices will descend.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Although they are aiming for families --- I dont see that happening --- i would guess the same groups of singles and retired buying here.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Steinbach said the development company plans to have its offices in one of the storefronts. A gallery, law office, bakery or other commercial tenant is being sought for the other 1,000-square-foot space.
Now that is great news. I had not heard that they were going to do this in Giovanna. Props to them!
lonnie
Library Board

Post by lonnie »

Coyote wrote:
Steinbach said the development company plans to have its offices in one of the storefronts. A gallery, law office, bakery or other commercial tenant is being sought for the other 1,000-square-foot space.
Now that is great news. I had not heard that they were going to do this in Giovanna. Props to them!
The storefronts were not what the developer wanted...
"The two L-shaped buildings had to be redesigned to comply with Planning Department demands to include commercial spaces on the ground floor of both corner units."
So, no ground floor commercial, no free tax money...

Lonnie
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Omaha council delays action on Little Italy

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=1636&u_sid=2291969
The Omaha City Council delayed action Tuesday on a proposal to declare much of Little Italy south of downtown Omaha as blighted and substandard.

The designation would have cleared the way for development of the Giovanna - 16 row houses that would sell for more than $230,000 each. Developers also have expressed interest in other parts of the neighborhood.

Action was delayed after a problem was discovered with a map the city had distributed showing the boundaries for the area. The map will be corrected before the council takes action on the blighted and substandard designation.
omahahawk
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahahawk »

This was a previously printed companion piece to what Brad posted from OWH that could apply either to this thread or the Towns thread.

Emotions Mixed as Little Italy Redevelops  

Omaha's rediscovery of its historic Little Italy district is raising some worries along with many hopes in the neighborhood just south of downtown. Such mixed emotions are beginning to be felt in several older Omaha neighborhoods as redevelopment takes root. New construction spurs hopes of new vitality, but longtime residents worry that they won't be able to afford their taxes.

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=163 ... nd=7130772
whatsallthefuss
New to the Neighborhood

Post by whatsallthefuss »

That's one way to revitalize the inner city, by displacing inner city residents.  I'd say these folks have a legitimate concern.