The Crossroads (72 & Dodge)

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Re: Crossroads - Redevelopment Plan

Post by RNcyanide »

iamjacobm wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Per Grow Omaha the plans now include adding a couple hundred apartments on top of the existing parking garage, that will really be a great way to add a vertical presence to the development.  They also said the office and retail is about half spoken for with demo starting in May.
Would that garage support a couple hundred apartments?
I would imagine the engineers they paid said yes.
I have my doubts, but I'm no engineer.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
ryan311
New to the Neighborhood

Post by ryan311 »

I've been told that the Best Buy location will be relocated by this upcoming Holiday season. Maybe this development really will happen.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

ryan311 wrote:I've been told that the Best Buy location will be relocated by this upcoming Holiday season.  Maybe this development really will happen.
It would be great if thy took the old Bag & Save space. That location is way more visible from Dodge anyways.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The mayor on the Grow Omaha podcasts covered this project and inferred to some of its complexities. She also said demo would start by years end. But we heard that before.
15-17, 26, 32
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Years end seems like this thing is really, really getting bogged down. I had some hope when they scaled back and were going to do it in waves. At least they have not had a ground breaking yet.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sounds like Cedar Rapids, IA is having some of the same problems as Omaha. Granted the Crossroads development is a much, much larger scale, but now in Cedar Rapids, the developer is asking for more public assistance. The only positive there, the mall has been torn down except for Pennys and Younkers. The positive at the Crossroads is that the mall space is still being partially occupied.

Westdale Mall developer asks for more upfront money to keep construction going
Cedar Rapids committee to review request for $11.5 million

Developer John Frew is asking the city for $11.5 million more in upfront public money to keep his $90-million-plus transformation of the Westdale Mall moving ahead.

Sufficiently significant is the request that City Manager Jeff Pomeranz is asking the City Council on Tuesday to create a Special Westdale Review Committee to study the project's progress, review Frew's request to modify his existing 2-year-old development agreement with the city and make recommendations to the council on Frew's request for more money upfront.
Last edited by skinzfan23 on Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Plans, funding in flux for new Crossroads redevelopment at 72nd, Dodge

http://www.omaha.com/money/plans-fundin ... 1e662.html
Barbara Soderlin / World-Herald staff writer wrote:A redeveloped Crossroads Village at 72nd and Dodge Streets won’t be open until at least spring 2017. Plans for the eagerly awaited mixed-use project are still evolving, and public funding is still in negotiation.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are some quotes from the article.:
Developer Rod Yates is negotiating with city officials on a three-pronged incentive package that he said is essential to funding the $275 million project. A combination of tax-increment financing, a business improvement district tax and an “occupation tax” on businesses there is being proposed to finance about one-third of the project,

Plans now call for 450,000 square feet of retail and restaurant space, 125,000 square feet of office space and 400 residences. The living space would sit atop the existing parking garage, Yates said Wednesday, and the parking garage would also be used by office workers. New parking for shoppers would be built underground, closer to shops.

New retail buildings just west of Target and along Dodge Street would be open in spring 2017, with more of the project complete for the holiday shopping season that year.
Yates has been traveling the country this spring pitching the project to retailers. He mentioned Crate & Barrel, Restoration Hardware and Apple as retailers he aspires to bring to the center, along with a “theater experience.” Businesses already announced as part of the project include outdoors outfitter REI and grocer Fresh Thyme.
From the last article in Oct 2014 it was stated that only 350,000 sq ft of retail and restaurant space would be built in the first phase. I wonder if the now-proposed 450,000 sq ft is all in the first phase of the project. I also noticed that it mentioned the residences would sit atop the parking garage and parking for the new shops will be underground. I haven't heard anything about underground parking, but that would be a bonus.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

This development is sort of a moving target is seems. The public incentives are what will probably define what kind of project we get. I like the idea of using an occupation tax so those who would wish to avoid paying for a private development could simply avoid the development.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

They just seem bound and determined to get more public money for this. Gretna spoiled them.

Greg
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Also noticed that the layout has changed a little again, probably after the Best Buy property was taken into account.

RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

That's what L Street Marketplace should have looked like.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Did someone say L street Marketplace?

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Linkin5 wrote:Did someone say L street Marketplace?

:lol:

Also, If they're begging for more public money, you might as well stick a fork in this project for the near and mid future.
No posts exist for this topic
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Public money without public profit is a non-starter.

I define profit as actual money that is more than we had to start. If I invest 100 dollars and I get 105 back, I get 5 dollars of profit. If I invest 100 and you get 105, and I get to listen to happy talk about progress, then I am still out 100 bucks and you still got 105 bucks that I paid for.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Why doesn't the developer build out in well planned phases like Aksarben Village? That way the development is determined much more by the market and not so reliant in public money to hedge their risk on one or two grand constructions.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

daveoma wrote:Why doesn't the developer build out in well planned phases like Aksarben Village? That way the development is determined much more by the market and not so reliant in public money to hedge their risk on one or two grand constructions.
I agree. Has Aksarben Village even asked for any assistance. Maybe they have but I haven't heard much about it.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

I think they tiffed all over the place
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

skinzfan23 wrote:Sounds like Cedar Rapids, IA is having some of the same problems as Omaha. Granted the Crossroads development is a much, much larger scale, but now in Cedar Rapids, the developer is asking for more public assistance. The only positive there, the mall has been torn down except for Pennys and Younkers. The positive at the Crossroads is that the mall space is still being partially occupied.

Westdale Mall developer asks for more upfront money to keep construction going
Cedar Rapids committee to review request for $11.5 million

Developer John Frew is asking the city for $11.5 million more in upfront public money to keep his $90-million-plus transformation of the Westdale Mall moving ahead.

Sufficiently significant is the request that City Manager Jeff Pomeranz is asking the City Council on Tuesday to create a Special Westdale Review Committee to study the project's progress, review Frew's request to modify his existing 2-year-old development agreement with the city and make recommendations to the council on Frew's request for more money upfront.

The Cedar Rapids city council voted to guarantee the $11.5 million loan to the developer. I think that is quite a risk to make. In this case, if they didn't, the land may sit undeveloped for years. Overall, only time will tell if that was a smart move. I find it hard to believe that it was at this point.

I am glad that Omaha isn't just signing on the dotted line to hand out for the Crossroads project. Like many of you, I want to see it happen, but not at the expense of taxpayers.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I think the issue with phasing here is the fact that retailers want foot traffic and they want neighbors this is true in enclosed malls and outdoor ones. Retail has become the main focus here and retail works differently than the very office heavy A/V.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I'm not a real estate expert but I think part of the issue here is the focus on retail. There's already tons of retail and restaurants nearby. This is a great location in which to live...you're 10 mins away from downtown, 5 minutes from Aksarben village and the Westroads, and NFM, the Keystone trail, the bus line, and the biggest international grocer in Omaha are within walking distance. It seems to me the emphasis should be on residential. Thoughts?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

For what it's worth Trenton from the Grow Omaha show blurbed out this will happen.
15-17, 26, 32
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I won't believe you or him until I see some dirt being moved. ;-)
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Well he could have been easily bribed with a big mac so..
15-17, 26, 32
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

MTO wrote:For what it's worth Trenton from the Grow Omaha show blurbed out this will happen.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

I doubt so much public funding is actually needed this is incredibly valuable real estate for office, retail or residential. A phased approach would probably be very succesful.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah I think they've got enough on the public side. Gretna gave them so much only because they were on the clock against the possible outlet development by Cordish near Cabela's.

Greg
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

So is it offical now that demo is not starting in May? We are half way through the month and nothing is happening?
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Blurb on KETV has Yates saying he still wants phase 1 to be open for holiday shopping season 2017.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Then demo should start now.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Developer discusses Nebraska Crossing Outlet expansion plans
KETV wrote:Despite any evidence of demolition and construction, Yates said he wants Crossroads Village to be open for holiday shopping in 2017. "Groundbreaking hopefully this fall, but grand opening for the Crossroads Village would be holiday of 2017," Yates said.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

How in the FUÇK is that going to happen!
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:Developer discusses Nebraska Crossing Outlet expansion plans
KETV wrote:Despite any evidence of demolition and construction, Yates said he wants Crossroads Village to be open for holiday shopping in 2017. "Groundbreaking hopefully this fall, but grand opening for the Crossroads Village would be holiday of 2017," Yates said.

The Bride
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

Watch as the idea sits dead for another 6 years till they decide to work on it.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

RNcyanide wrote:
Coyote wrote:Developer discusses Nebraska Crossing Outlet expansion plans
The key word there is "wants."
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

iamjacobm wrote:Blurb on KETV has Yates saying he still wants phase 1 to be open for holiday shopping season 2017.
And I would like to be the King of England, but that ain't happening either.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Not that unreasonable considering retail buildings take very little time to throw up.
MSizlack
Home Owners Association

Post by MSizlack »

Sounds like some of the large retailers who where looking at the CrossRoads redevelopment, are now talking with someone else who is looking to built out by the Target on West Maple. Made it sound like there are plans to buy up the mobile home park. This info could/should also be put in the rumors area.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

That would suck a fat one if they landed out there. Hope this lights a fire and gets the dirt flying on crossroads.
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Funding for infrastructure here still planned for 2016.