Aspen Grove

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

U R my Helix
Human Relations

Aspen Grove

Post by U R my Helix »

This project has been on the website for Clarity for a while now but has gotten some negative press from the NIMBY people. 180 Unit Apartments Tax credit (affordable) http://www.claritydevco.com/projects/
BLAIR COMMONS, OMAHA, NE, no rendering, 90th and Blair High Road

The new construction of approximately 180 LIHTC garden-style apartments on approximately ten acres with amenities such as a pool and clubhouse.
BLAIR COMMONS, OMAHA, NE

http://www.ketv.com/news/planning-board ... l/35706624
Uffda
County Board

Re: Blair Commons Proposed 180 Apartments Clarity Development

Post by Uffda »

Same company was going to build affordable housing at. 60 and Sorensen and all that has happened there is ground leveling and weed growth in the past year.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Before you blast NIMBYs recognize that 180 apartments will be built in a location that will force a totally built out neighborhood street to be the main road in and out. Is this plan going to do anything for these people? I bet you would be cheesed off if they were to dump 180 apartments in your area and forced your street to become the main drag when it was designed for less.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

bigredmed wrote:Before you blast NIMBYs recognize that 180 apartments will be built in a location that will force a totally built out neighborhood street to be the main road in and out. Is this plan going to do anything for these people? I bet you would be cheesed off if they were to dump 180 apartments in your area and forced your street to become the main drag when it was designed for less.
92nd Avenue ends in a barricade. They should have been able to recognize that one day that street might be extended into a new development. If they wanted to live on a street with an average daily traffic count of like 40, this wasn't the place for it. And 92nd won't necessarily be the main road in and out. It looks like the apartments will connect to Blair High and to 99th as well. I recognize that they have gotten used to a quiet street that only serves 30ish homes, but they're overreacting if they think the street will become "dangerous." Connectivity lessens overall traffic congestion and they'd have a quicker way to Blair High Rd.
"Video game violence is not a new problem. Who could forget in the wake of SimCity how children everywhere took up urban planning." - Stephen Colbert
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I'm not good at finding this stuff anybody have a link to this proposal with the map.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

try https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mi ... HVBzL3QzMU and then enter the property name of Blair Commons
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Thanks for that but I was looking for a plot map of the development. I don't live far from here.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

TitosBuritoBarn wrote:
bigredmed wrote:Before you blast NIMBYs recognize that 180 apartments will be built in a location that will force a totally built out neighborhood street to be the main road in and out. Is this plan going to do anything for these people? I bet you would be cheesed off if they were to dump 180 apartments in your area and forced your street to become the main drag when it was designed for less.
92nd Avenue ends in a barricade. They should have been able to recognize that one day that street might be extended into a new development. If they wanted to live on a street with an average daily traffic count of like 40, this wasn't the place for it. And 92nd won't necessarily be the main road in and out. It looks like the apartments will connect to Blair High and to 99th as well. I recognize that they have gotten used to a quiet street that only serves 30ish homes, but they're overreacting if they think the street will become "dangerous." Connectivity lessens overall traffic congestion and they'd have a quicker way to Blair High Rd.

Well said
Choleric
Home Owners Association

Post by Choleric »

Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Choleric wrote:Image
I saw that on the video also. I would like to see the document that the TV station got that from. Looking at that fuzzy graphic, my last choice to leave the neighborhood would be by 92nd street. Of course then it depends on what Phase 2 brings
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

I laugh at this image of the apartments drawn as if they were alone in a forest rather than next to a neighborhood.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

U R my Helix wrote:Found this at http://www.claritydevco.com/projects/ Image

What a horrible design.
Too few garage stalls, terrible traffic layout (is there really only one entrance/exit?), more than 50% of the apartment overlook parking. Only half of one building gets a view of grass and the pool but instead of giving more apartments that more interesting view they back the only garages up to the grass.

Is it that much more expensive to build the apartments on top of garages. If every apartment had one garage stall on the ground level or underground you could eliminate 50% of the surface parking and build on a smaller lot or add more units or add more common areas.
Trips
Library Board

Post by Trips »

Do any of the newer apartments not have attached garages? Even the new ones downtown have underground parking. The poolside garages only serve the middle building, they need to switch places with the central building. Then you have more poolside views and garages serving the east and new poolside apartments.

I believe they need two entrances for fire safety.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

There are two entrances...?

This is Blair. Not downtown Omaha. It looks fine for an apartment complex.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

RNcyanide wrote:This is Blair. Not downtown Omaha. It looks fine for an apartment complex.
This is NW Omaha, not Blair.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Coyote wrote:
RNcyanide wrote:This is Blair. Not downtown Omaha. It looks fine for an apartment complex.
This is NW Omaha, not Blair.
Oh. I assumed with the name Blair in the title it was. Oops.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Guess "Blair High Road Commons" was too long of a name.

Blair should sue them, unless it's named after the character Blair from the 80s show The Facts of Life
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

Tuck under garages are a completely different product/price point/construction type. While you may deem them preferable, this is still a viable, reasonable suburban product. There are two ways in now, and more later. Its not awesome I suppose but not worth of such derision either, IMO.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

cdub wrote:Tuck under garages are a completely different product/price point/construction type. While you may deem them preferable, this is still a viable, reasonable suburban product. There are two ways in now, and more later. Its not awesome I suppose but not worth of such derision either, IMO.
Better design doesn't necessarily cost more money. It can actually earn you more money if you have a more pleasant living environment. There is obviously no thought here except how to drop as many cookie cutter apartment buildings in the area as possible.

Some suggestions.
- Make the clubhouse the first floor of one of the buildings. (reduces the overall foot print allows more green space)
- Move the buildings to cluster the parking into a couple of parking lots and create green space courtyards between buildings.
- Walking trail around the perimeter of the complex
- Do something creative with the garages.
  • - Break the garages up into four groups near each cluster of buildings and make the roof of the garages a patio for residents
    - Garages as the first floor of a 3 store apartment
    - Build Larger condo type units or Micro Apartments on top of the garages
    - Grade the lot so from one direction the garages are at one level and from the other direction there are additional garages on top of the first
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Looks like this project is gaining steam, look for announcements soon.
choke
Human Relations

Post by choke »

GetUrban wrote:Guess "Blair High Road Commons" was too long of a name.

Blair should sue them, unless it's named after the character Blair from the 80s show The Facts of Life

I know this post was a long time ago but I loved The Facts of Life. Although I could relate to Jo more than Blair. Can't forget about Tootie either.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote:Looks like this project is gaining steam, look for announcements soon.

The announcement -- Dirt is being moved. :D
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Aspen Grove

Post by U R my Helix »

Name changed to Aspen Grove. website https://www.aspengroveomaha.com/Marketing/Home/MediaLINK . Advertising models open must be nearly done.