Omaha Streetcar Discussion

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

iamjacobm
City Council

Re: Official: Omaha Streetcar Discussion

Post by iamjacobm »

This is an old one, but Portland is kind of the streetcar darling. This is their first decade.

http://www.portlandstreetcar.org/pdf/de ... report.pdf
Since 1997 when the original streetcar alignment was identified, properties along its length have
experienced significant changes:

$3.5 billion has been invested within two blocks of the streetcar
alignment.

10,212 new housing units and 5.4 million square feet of office,
institutional, retail and hotel construction have been constructed within
two blocks of the alignment.

55% of all CBD development since 1997 has occurred within 1-block of
the streetcar and properties located closest to the streetcar line more
closely approach the zoned density potential than properties situated
farther away.

Developers are building new residential buildings with significantly lower
parking ratios than anywhere else in the region.
The report also shows that the size of the buildings % to their zoning is drastically higher than it was pre-streetcar as well as projects further away from the line.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I have read a number of other reports, but will have to look those up some time this week. Need to hop on the 2 and head to the game, if only it were a streetcar.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

iamjacobm wrote:I have read a number of other reports, but will have to look those up some time this week. Need to hop on the 2 and head to the game, if only it were a streetcar.
:roll:

If it were a streetcar, you wouldn't notice a difference between it and the 2. Well, other than the ugly wiring overhead.

My problem with reports like that is it doesn't differentiate between whether the streetcar system was the CAUSE of the development or if the development would have happened anyways. Of course the city of Portland (which was a proponent of the system) is going to try to tie any new development in with those expenditures as a way to justify the costs.

Duplication of services already not used, man. If the buses were jam-packed, I can see doing this in Omaha. If the traffic congestion was a nightmare, I could see doing this in Omaha.

Not exactly making me optimistic: http://www.wweek.com/portland/article-1 ... _ride.html
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

The key difference between a streetcar and bus system is that a bus system is a practical mass transit system a streetcar is an inducement to investment and development.

If we want a viable mass transit system we should invest in more frequent buses and more routes.

If we want to encourage infill along strategic corridors we should build a street car.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

I really like the idea of the streetcar hitting Aksarben and UNMC and I think the (maybe) soon to be old VA site would be a great one for redevelopment.

I think investing in transportation catalyzes development whether it's a freeway or a streetcar. The question is what kind oofff development do we want? Personally I would love to see an Omaha that is compact and full of pedestrians as opposed to one that is super spread out and clogged with cars.

If you look at the subway lines in Alexandria, VA you'll see that nearby the stations there are nodes of dense residential and commercial development. Just like there was pent up demand to spend money on national music acts at the century link, there is pent up demand for dense residential development--look at the popularity of the new apartment projects downtown and midtown.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

iamjacobm wrote:This is an old one, but Portland is kind of the streetcar darling. This is their first decade.

http://www.portlandstreetcar.org/pdf/de ... report.pdf
Since 1997 when the original streetcar alignment was identified, properties along its length have
experienced significant changes:

$3.5 billion has been invested within two blocks of the streetcar
alignment.

10,212 new housing units and 5.4 million square feet of office,
institutional, retail and hotel construction have been constructed within
two blocks of the alignment.

55% of all CBD development since 1997 has occurred within 1-block of
the streetcar and properties located closest to the streetcar line more
closely approach the zoned density potential than properties situated
farther away.

Developers are building new residential buildings with significantly lower
parking ratios than anywhere else in the region.
The report also shows that the size of the buildings % to their zoning is drastically higher than it was pre-streetcar as well as projects further away from the line.
How much of that development was subsidized?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
2Adam29
Home Owners Association

Post by 2Adam29 »

One major difference the article yesterday pointed out was that a streetcar line is more or less permanent, whereas a bus line can be changed at will. I'd hate to open a business right on a bus line just to have it shift north a few blocks a month after I open.

Another I'd imagine is approach-ability. If I'm not from Omaha or new to public transit buses can be scary and intimidating because there's no particular indication like tracks in the ground of exactly where they run. Plus streetcar lines usually only hit main population hubs, so if I'm not from around here I'm not in danger of running to the end of the line and winding up stranded in a strange neighborhood.

Plus they just look nicer, which, like a tree-lined street doesn't need to fundamentally change the function of a road to still add an element of attraction.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Hows that work? I mean if they put in a light rail does Hal Daub end up owning land or property next to it like he did with Ricks Boathouse? The mayor we have now I trust and believe to be a genuine nice and honest person. I never trusted Hal and I still don't. Hes up to something no doubt.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Man I wish Daub would have beat Fahey and won again in '09, I unfortunately didn't live in Omaha during that time so didn't have a vote for him.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

So should we change the name of the thread to Light Rail then? :D
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Garrett wrote:So should we change the name of the thread to Light Rail then? :D
We wouldn't want to make Hal mad. :D
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Garrett wrote:So should we change the name of the thread to Light Rail then? :D
You mean “Lightttttttt raillllllll.” :yes:
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Daub is like the monorail salesman from the Simpsons.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

[youtube][/youtube]
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

jessep28 wrote:Daub is like the monorail salesman from the Simpsons.
That is a perfect analogy. :clap:
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Hows that work? I mean if they put in a light rail does Hal Daub end up owning land or property next to it like he did with Ricks Boathouse? The mayor we have now I trust and believe to be a genuine nice and honest person. I never trusted Hal and I still don't. Hes up to something no doubt.
It would be interesting for the OWH to do an investigation regarding any conflicts of interest Hal Daub might have. I agree that the dude looks like a conniving rat and that he's a total jerk (as evidenced by his condescending "liiight raaaiill" comment to the reporter), but I believe this project would transcend him. He really is making the case for a new kind of city. I don't like the guy, nor do
I trust him, but I agree with him on the streetcar.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

I agree, if Hal would have won in '09, we very well could have and very probably would have light rail in Downtown and midtown. In addition, TD Ameritrade would be two blocks west along 16th like it was originally planned which means all the land between the sea of parking and the stadium would be developed, plus we most CERTAINLY would have a 30 story Mariott instead of that flacid Hilton. And the fact that he mentioned to extend light rail to Creighton is a NO BRAINER!!!!!! Why is that not in the initial plan!? Furthermore, speaking of conflict of interest... Fahey has a massive stake in the Mattress Company Bar, which explains why the stadium is where it is.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

It's kind of sad, that all of our Fortune 500 companies are within a short walk of this proposed line... and we're still wondering if we can come up with the money. If I'M with one of these firms, I'm asking how can I help... and how can we get it to the airport as well.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

AIRPORT!!! YES!!!!!!! Forgot about that link... an ABSOLUTE MUST for any city that wants to grow its urban core. Eliminate the need for an automobile when you visit a city and you will inherently increase the potential for successful business development within several blocks each side along a rail line.
Omahan6301
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahan6301 »

Great point about the airport! If we could have the airport, Creighton, UNMC, Conagra, UP, Kiewit, BRK, Mutual of Omaha, Midtown Crossing, TDAmeritrade Park, Centurylink, HDR, Capital District, Blackstone district all connected it would be a tremendous for people visiting the city. Hopefully a future line would connect UNO/Aksarben Village/Baxter Arena.

Does anyone know the speed of a light rail system? I'm trying to get an idea of how quick this would be compared to driving, it can't be much faster/slower with all the stops it would be making.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Omahan6301 wrote: Does anyone know the speed of a light rail system? I'm trying to get an idea of how quick this would be compared to driving, it can't be much faster/slower with all the stops it would be making.
I have ridden on the ones in Denver and Minneapolis and there are times where it is probably slower than auto traffic, especially when you take off from Mall of America. However, as it gets moving towards downtown Minneapolis, it speeds up a lot. Denver had some of the same problems in the suburbs. But with both cities, once you get into the downtown core, it is nice not having to stop for traffic lights and congestion. Not to mention you don't have to pay to park in the downtown. This is why I think light rail would work extremely well for Omaha. Everyone always complains that there isn't enough parking downtown. If we had light rail, you wouldn't need so much. With all the existing track down in the Omaha metro, it would make sense to utilize it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It would be great if they included specific Park & Ride locations. Crossroads, UNMC, MC, HDZ...
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:It would be great if they included specific Park & Ride locations. Crossroads, UNMC, MC, HDZ...
Thats what both cities I mentioned had. In Minneapolis, we stayed downtown, but they have park and ride locations at various points along the line including Mall of America. Denver also has park and ride locations in the suburbs. It is so convenient to take the light rail to downtown. If you had a monthly pass, it is probably much cheaper than driving and parking. Not to mention, less hassle.
Omahan6301
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Omahan6301 »

I would imagine that it wouldn't be sustainable unless park and rides are located next to the light rail system. With parking being shifted around the city think of all the possibilities that would open of for future developments downtown. A lot of parking lots/garages could be converted into something much more useful. Maybe just south of Aksarben would be valuable too since it has access to i-80. Lets hope momentum keeps going for this project.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

mr. omaha wrote:AIRPORT!!! YES!!!!!!! Forgot about that link... an ABSOLUTE MUST for any city that wants to grow its urban core. Eliminate the need for an automobile when you visit a city and you will inherently increase the potential for successful business development within several blocks each side along a rail line.
Nobody would use a streetcar to and from the airport - it's too difficult jacking with your luggage and stuff. If you're not getting a car in Omaha, you'd take a taxi. Most (all?) of the downtown hotels have free airport shuttles anyways.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

NEDodger wrote:
mr. omaha wrote:AIRPORT!!! YES!!!!!!! Forgot about that link... an ABSOLUTE MUST for any city that wants to grow its urban core. Eliminate the need for an automobile when you visit a city and you will inherently increase the potential for successful business development within several blocks each side along a rail line.
Nobody would use a streetcar to and from the airport - it's too difficult jacking with your luggage and stuff. If you're not getting a car in Omaha, you'd take a taxi. Most (all?) of the downtown hotels have free airport shuttles anyways.
I think it's much cheaper and easier to use public transit...especially if you're traveling alone or with friends. A cab ride is around $13 from downtown to the airport. I'd much rather pay $3 on the light rail.
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

In person, yes. But you're also on the hook for the construction and maintenance of that line. I just don't see it being utilized between downtown and the airport because the hotels all have free shuttles anyways.
Garrett
County Board

Post by Garrett »

Don't forget all of the people who live here. If you live downtown or midtown and don't have a car this could be an awesome option.
OMA-->CHI-->NYC
NEDodger
Parks & Recreation

Post by NEDodger »

Yeah, but how many times a year does the average person who would live along the streetcar line go to the airport? Twice? That's not worth the investment.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

NEDodger wrote:Yeah, but how many times a year does the average person who would live along the streetcar line go to the airport? Twice? That's not worth the investment.
I can envision people who live away from the streetcar and work downtown taking the streetcar to the airport so they could avoid paying for parking. If you're car is at home in a garage you won't have to pay for the cheap outside parking where you pay for no hail storm while you're traveling.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

daveoma wrote: I can envision people who live away from the streetcar and work downtown taking the streetcar to the airport so they could avoid paying for parking. If you're car is at home in a garage you won't have to pay for the cheap outside parking where you pay for no hail storm while you're traveling.
This can all be accomplished for way cheaper with a BRT system.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Omahan6301 wrote:Does anyone know the speed of a light rail system? I'm trying to get an idea of how quick this would be compared to driving, it can't be much faster/slower with all the stops it would be making.
The one in Houston really zips along between stops, but with the stops included it's probably about as fast as non-rush-hour traffic.
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Omababe wrote:
Omahan6301 wrote:Does anyone know the speed of a light rail system? I'm trying to get an idea of how quick this would be compared to driving, it can't be much faster/slower with all the stops it would be making.
The one in Houston really zips along between stops, but with the stops included it's probably about as fast as non-rush-hour traffic.
Didn't they also have issues with automobile vs. Street car accidents after they opened?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

RNcyanide wrote:
Omababe wrote:
Didn't they also have issues with automobile vs. Street car accidents after they opened?
If you've ever seen it, it's even easy to drive right into the light rail lane.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

RNcyanide wrote:
Omababe wrote:
I don't know about Houston, but there are collisions (not accidents) with light rail in Phoenix somewhat often.

"Since 2009 [to May 2013], there have been 118 crashes"
"All the injuries in these crashes have been pretty minor, but one pedestrian did go to the hospital with some broken ribs. The scary thing we found, though, is since 2009, 22 drivers have bailed from the scene of a crash with light rail - that's almost 19 percent."
http://www.kpho.com/story/18306315/ligh ... enix-tempe

"According to the Arizona Republic, the new light rail trails have averaged one crash with a car every 6 days. We must naturally ask the question: Is it safe?
The tracks of the light rail cross 148 intersections in the Valley. This is not insignificant, given that its coverage area is quite limited at this point. According to Valley Metro, they have spent $685,000 to date to educate drivers on safety precautions regarding the Light Rail."
http://www.zacharassociates.com/motor-v ... ight-rail/

Here is a recent collision
http://www.azcentral.com/story/news/loc ... /27047249/
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

FRA should implement a train horn rule like with standard railways.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

And some sort of super smart PTC.
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

jessep28 wrote:FRA should implement a train horn rule like with standard railways.
Many cities have implemented "Quite Zones" for railroad crossings inside their cities. They do require a lot more safety features, most if not all make it nearly impossible to go around the gates.

LaVista, Blair, and I believe Ralston are all Quiet Zones now.
PotatoeEatsFish
Human Relations

Post by PotatoeEatsFish »

I think its safe enough to assume that the streetcar idea is dead after almost 20 years. :( Its sad but Nebraskan's love their cars too much to try another way of transportation.
#SaveTheUglyGrainSilos2024