Omaha Eppley Airfield

Trains, Planes, and Automobiles (and Streetcars!).

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Re: Omaha Eppley Airfield

Post by daveoma »

OMATOL wrote:More new service at Eppley - Alaska Airlines will begin Omaha - Portland service in February. Flights will operate daily.
Awesome! :thumb:
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

I often wonder how they decide this stuff. No offense to Portland but Portland? Daily? I'm not complaining but LA, Orlando, and Oakland are much bigger markets and all 3 are just seasonal plus only on a few days a week. I have flown the others multiple times. The LA and Orlando were packed. The Oakland was not at first but with virtually no advertising was full a week ago. Why are Orlando, Oakland, and LA only seasonal and Portland year round 7 days a week?
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_corn_burner »

blueblood wrote:I often wonder how they decide this stuff. No offense to Portland but Portland? Daily? I'm not complaining but LA, Orlando, and Oakland are much bigger markets and all 3 are just seasonal plus only on a few days a week. I have flown the others multiple times. The LA and Orlando were packed. The Oakland was not at first but with virtually no advertising was full a week ago. Why are Orlando, Oakland, and LA only seasonal and Portland year round 7 days a week?
Alaska Airlines has a hub in Portland, but not in Orlando or Oakland.
Extra gate space may be rare at LAX.
There are no nonstop flights from Omaha to Portland.
Flying to Portland from Omaha is relatively expensive compared to other destinations.
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

Alaska Air does fly into LAX, San Diego, Santa Anna and San Francisco. Those just seem like they would get more traffic. I could be wrong, just a perception. Let me try the question this way.

1. Is weather a flight appears to be full or empty a poor way to judge if it is a profitable flight?

2. Does each airport have a set number of flights per day? Thus a flight from Omaha to LAX might be profitable but there just isn't room for it?

3. Does lobbying an airline produce flights? Thus is an Omaha Company was to approach an airline and say we can guarantee we would buy 10 seats a day to Portland does that have any bearing?
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

You could probably get an accurate reply if you asked on FlyerTalk or airliners.net
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

They have a sale if you buy by Aug 5th tickets could be as low as $139. Would be a fun trip to plan ahead, but my flight budget is locked up in a Dallas/Houston trip this fall.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

blueblood wrote:I often wonder how they decide this stuff. No offense to Portland but Portland? Daily? I'm not complaining but LA, Orlando, and Oakland are much bigger markets and all 3 are just seasonal plus only on a few days a week. I have flown the others multiple times. The LA and Orlando were packed. The Oakland was not at first but with virtually no advertising was full a week ago. Why are Orlando, Oakland, and LA only seasonal and Portland year round 7 days a week?
Here's the deal. Airports and airlines track demand to top 25 or so destinations from cities. For example, the number of people flying per month to Portland. Not non stop but connecting. Portland happens to be a popular destination from Omaha.'

The airlines also look at profitability of a pair of cities versus using a plane to different city pairs. Yes there is demand from Omaha or Des Moines to Orlando but can Southwest, for example, make more money using the same plane for a different city pair?

Yes, lobbying by airports or even passengers and companies does sometimes make a difference. Also many airports and cities offer incentives to airlines to establish or expand service. It can take the form of refunding of expenses or a promise to cover losses over the first year or two. That sometimes works.

Of course this assumes that smart people are making these decisions.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Thanks for the explanation! I'm really surprised that Portland is a popular destination for Omaha.
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

I'm still surprised that there's not a daily non-stop to San Francisco. Boston would be nice too, but San Francisco not having a non-stop continues to surprise me.
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Midwestern wrote:I'm still surprised that there's not a daily non-stop to San Francisco. Boston would be nice too, but San Francisco not having a non-stop continues to surprise me.
Agreed
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

These destinations would fill out the map nicely from Omaha:

BWI
JFK(for international flights)
Boston
Philadelphia (international flights)
Miami and/or Fl Lauderdale (South/Central America as well as hey, it's south Florida!)
San Diego
San Francisco
Midwestern
Home Owners Association

Post by Midwestern »

A Southwest non-stop to Baltimore would be really nice since that is one of their hubs I think.
Omaha_corn_burner
Human Relations

NovakOmaha wrote:These destinations would fill out the map nicely from Omaha:
What would these gain you for international travel? Chicago, Denver, Dallas, Atlanta, Detroit and Houston offer MANY international connections.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Omaha_corn_burner wrote:
NovakOmaha wrote:These destinations would fill out the map nicely from Omaha:
What would these gain you for international travel? Chicago, Denver, Dallas, Atlanta, Detroit and Houston offer MANY international connections.
By that logic one non stop to Chicago Ohare would be sufficient. JFK & Philly offer more options and price points. Philly is a major USAir(American) international hub. JFK has tons of international carriers. Options.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Logan would let us travel Air Lingus from Boston where we could take advantage of their special customs arrangements. That would be nice.
OMATOL
New to the Neighborhood

Post by OMATOL »

Another week, another new route: Allegiant will add Orlando Sanford twice weekly beginning in November.

http://m.ketv.com/news/allegiant-airlin ... a/34633840
Mr.Nuke
Human Relations

Post by Mr.Nuke »

Southwest is adding daily Omaha to Washington Regan National (DCA) service. Delta currently serves this route as well.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Mr.Nuke wrote:Southwest is adding daily Omaha to Washington Regan National (DCA) service. Delta currently serves this route as well.
Awesome! Until they get the train out to Dulles, Regan is the way to go.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I'm no Republican. But it's Reagan, not Regan.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Mr.Nuke wrote:Southwest is adding daily Omaha to Washington Regan National (DCA) service. Delta currently serves this route as well.
Great to have some options, although it would've been nice to have a non-stop from Dulles---making it more convenient for business travelers headed for the massive office parks that dot Northern Virginia----good for the tourist trade, though. The Silver Line (Metro) will be complete in 2018 or 19, but the current end-of-the-line station is not that far away in Reston, which is easily accessed by (Dulles Flyer) bus. Southwest does have service from Dulles to Omaha (via Midway-Chicago).
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Already booked my trip, hopefully landing my wife and I, close to the cherry blossoms. :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Stargazer wrote:Already booked my trip, hopefully landing my wife and I, close to the cherry blossoms. :)
Good luck. They last time I was out there they said they should peak any day now. Each morning we would get up and turn on the news and they would say "may be they will bloom today". I think it happened 3 days after we left.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Yeah, we're just going for the museums/etc... if we hit the blossoms, bonus! :)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

That new flight to Love is amazing! Used to have to spend half the day traveling and jump to STL for cheap SW fares. Now we touched down at 720 AM. Huge time saver for will really low fares.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

We are waiting for X amount of passengers to overhaul our airport...
At that rate we'll be mothballing one of our terminals just as Grand Island's new gigantic international airport comes online. Never thought we'd be driving to Grand Island to catch a flight out with our mistresses.
15-17, 26, 32
Erik
Parks & Recreation

Post by Erik »

MTO wrote:We are waiting for X amount of passengers to overhaul our airport...
At that rate we'll be mothballing one of our terminals just as Grand Island's new gigantic international airport comes online. Never thought we'd be driving to Grand Island to catch a flight out with our mistresses.
Gosh. I hope 2014 proves to be a better year for our air service.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

2015 numbers are slightly up from 2014.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Close to 4.5?
15-17, 26, 32
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

If the last two months carry the same increase as the first 10 ~4.4.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Damn we are close to the magic number.
15-17, 26, 32
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

MTO wrote:darn we are close to the magic number.
Which means. ..?
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

RNcyanide wrote:
MTO wrote:darn we are close to the magic number.
Which means. ..?
What is the magic number?
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Legend has it at 4.5 we get an airport overhaul/expansion.
15-17, 26, 32
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

I think the first phase is 4.8 million, right?

http://www.omaha.com/money/omaha-s-eppl ... 00d3a.html
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The "old" magic number.
15-17, 26, 32
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Say, anyone know why one of the main runways at Eppley is closed?

After a windy and bumpy landing the other day the pilot mentioned in passing that the runway he likes for that kind of landing is closed indefinitely.

Anyone know?
daveoma
Parks & Recreation

Post by daveoma »

Omababe wrote:Say, anyone know why one of the main runways at Eppley is closed?

After a windy and bumpy landing the other day the pilot mentioned in passing that the runway he likes for that kind of landing is closed indefinitely.

Anyone know?
I flew to and from Eppley last weekend and I didn't even notice that it was closed.

I did however notice construction on the south long term parking lot. It looked like they were building a big car port. Any Eppley watchers know what that is a well?
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

daveoma wrote: I did however notice construction on the south long term parking lot. It looked like they were building a big car port. Any Eppley watchers know what that is a well?
Maybe this?
owh wrote:http://www.omaha.com/money/omaha-s-eppl ... 00d3a.html
>> New parking garage north of the existing facility with 2,000 public parking stalls and 1,000 rental car stalls. Bridges would be added to connect the upstairs terminal with the new garage, decreasing pedestrian traffic across the curbside pickup and dropoff area.
>> Renovation of the existing garage, with improved signage, lighting, paint and guardrails.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I'v seen it, its not a garage. Just a roof over the parking stalls.
Ryan Air
Home Owners Association

Post by Ryan Air »

Concrete maintenance and/or repair work.

The covered parking structure is the construction of the temporary rental car areas- which are being relocated, I'd imagine, due to construction plans for the new north parking structure which would replace the current rental car garage.

However, I have heard rummers that the new garage construction has been "delayed indefinitely" citing the departure of Con Agra HQ from Omaha and its respective impact on passenger traffic. Source is good- but not really involved with things such as this... Anybody out there able to expand on that?

Also, any math geeks or people familiar with Con Agra travel habits who could explain any potential impacts on Eppley?