Omaha's Farmers Market 2015

Post by Coyote »

Omaha Farmer's Market opened today.
This is from this morning's market at Aksarben Village:

skinzfan23
City Council

Re: Omaha's Farmers Market 2015

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow, the turnout looks great, especially for the first one of the season. I have yet to make it to the AV farmer's market. I hear that it is actually better than the downtown one. I still am curious why the downtown one crams almost everything into that tiny little parking lot. Why don't they just close off Howard St. between 10th and 12th?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Why did they need to move the Aksarben Farmers Market this past week and may be next week before it returns to the normal location?

I enjoy the Aksarben location more than the downtown location.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Why did they need to move the Aksarben Farmers Market this past week and may be next week before it returns to the normal location?

I enjoy the Aksarben location more than the downtown location.
I am guessing road work on Center and 67th/64th...
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Cedar Rapids Iowa experimented with an after dark Farmers market as a one time trial and it was a huge sucess. Would be interesting to see how something like this would work in Omaha and where you would try it.

http://www.thegazette.com/subject/news/ ... s-20150901
CEDAR RAPIDS — In a sight not typical for downtown Cedar Rapids on a late Saturday night, tens of thousands of people packed streets and businesses during the weekend’s after-dark farmers market — a popularity that astonished organizers.

The Farmers’ Market After Dark event was part of celebrating the 10th anniversary of summer farmers markets in Cedar Rapids.

While nearly 8,000 people committed to going to it on the event’s Facebook page, about 34,000 actually showed up, said festival organizers. In contrast, 14,000 patrons on average attend the farmers markets on a Saturday morning
“I know we had a really good night. We did really well,” she said. “We get busy on Saturday anyway but we got busier earlier than we normally do.”

Vendors, too, experienced high volume. Organizers said there were about 80 vendors, but with a heavier mix than a typical morning farmers market on art, jewelry, gifts and the like.

Tim Palmer, owner of The Salsa Guy stand, said at one point he had a line 150 yards long.

His rib-eye steaks were gone in 35 minutes.

“This was a great idea. Whoever the evil genius was who came up with this idea really put their finger on the pulse of what this town was asking for,” Palmer said. “I really loaded up on food, but even then, I still got surprised by the number of people.”

That Cupcake Place sold out of cupcakes by 9:30 p.m.

“It was a rush. It was amazing,” said owner Teresa Pinkerton. “It gave us a rush we’ve never had, and I’m talking about emotions, the things that you go through. It was pretty amazing. We’re veterans of farmers markets. It’s the most fun we’ve ever had
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I much prefer the Aksarben market to the one down in the Old Market. Better parking, and a much larger selection of venders. The Old Market version needs to relocate to larger quarters. Perhaps on Lewis and Clark Landing.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nativeomahan wrote:I much prefer the Aksarben market to the one down in the Old Market. Better parking, and a much larger selection of venders. The Old Market version needs to relocate to larger quarters. Perhaps on Lewis and Clark Landing.
Both lose to Village Pointe. Great parking and compact without feeling small. None of the craft people or other non farmer vendors you have to wade past at AK or downtown.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I don't understand why the Old Market farmers market doesn't move it to into the street entirely. Why do they try to cram everything in that little parking lot?
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Farmer relatives of mine are growing all non-GMO field corn this year. I should get an ear corn picker and open up a booth selling non-GMO squirrel feed.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum