20%
Los Compayes
No votes

Total votes: 25

nebport5
Planning Board

Best Mexican food in Omaha

Post by nebport5 »

This topic is long overdue for a poll and thread consolidation( half the Rivera's thread is on the topic rather than the restaurant).
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Hands Down - Rivera's

BTW, before you vote for Alvarado's, I heard they have changed things around and it is not as good.  I have not been there in a while, but that's what co-workers tell me.  I never thought they were that special to begin with, more of a late night novelty.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Brad wrote:I never thought they were that special to begin with, more of a late night novelty.

worse than Fernando's,  like doesn't deserve to be on the list?

I've only been to three of the above, hence I won't be voting for awhile.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Like them or not doesn't Roja's belong on the list.  At least they are local while La Mesa is a chain
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

los compayes totally is the best i have ever had in omaha should definitely be on the list!

-adam
10thstgoober
Home Owners Association

Post by 10thstgoober »

Michael's?   Julio's ?
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Do I really have to put best "authentic" Mexican?  I've never been to Roja, but I was under the impression it was tex-mex.  Same with Julio's.  Furthermore, are any of you going to advocate Roja, Julio's or Michael's as "the best"? If so, i'll add them.  Yes, La Mesa is a regional chain, but it's actually run by real Mexicans.  It's not a chain in the sense of Romeo's or Carlos O'Kelly's.

Or I guess Brad or somebody could add Los Compayes and the others (if you insist), I can't edit the poll :(

Maybe should've took nominations for awhile, before adding the poll?
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

alvarado's has a new location on 108th between L and Q street in the former TCBY spot...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I have not eaten at all 12 places.  But I have eaten at 9 of them.  I love most of them.  You cannot compare Hector's to Alvarado's, now known as Abelardo's.  Apples and Oranges, but they are my two favorite.  The first when I want to get sort of dressed up and enjoy great margaritas in a pleasant atmosphere, the second when I am just hungry for a great Mexican breakfast served without pretense, whether at 1 am or 11 am.
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

I've eaten at 6 of the 12.  Just ate at El Alamo this week and I must say it's my new #1.  It's truly authentic.  Rivera's is 2nd.  Alvarado's is also pretty good but it's not somewhere you'd sit down and enjoy it.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I think I'll take the "tour" of "best" mexican restaurants and hit at least one a week.

Today I hit El Alamo.  

Good food overall, not a great value. The chips and salsa were very good, easily among the best I've had in the area (so far).  Margarita = Epic Fail.  How do you not have anejo at a Mexican restaurant with a bar? (or so I was told).  How do you confound your server at an authentic Mexican restaurant (with an equally authentic staff) with words like reposado, anejo and agave?  Hmmm.  I declined Cuervo and due to the language barrier the only alternatives choices our labored communication could yield were Patron or Don Julio.  I opted for the Julio and ten dollars later a drink sat in front of me with a flavor profile of watered down Cuervo with a generous addition of Rose's Lime.  Hmmm.  Hmmm.  Thankfully a few special requests for my entree were not lost in translation.  The portion size was descent, not grande.  The enchiladas over came overcooked tortillas with an adequate flavor yet it was the rice that was particularly memorable.  Over all the food was good, the value not as such.  I could've been as content with La Mesa and probably walked out (a little less coordinated) and with a few more dollars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

went to El Aguila over the weekend.  It was good, and had a great patio!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

nebugeater wrote:Like them or not doesn't Roja's belong on the list.  At least they are local while La Mesa is a chain
La Mesa's owner lives in the Omaha metro, wouldn't that make La Mesa locally owned?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

icejammer wrote:
nebugeater wrote:Like them or not doesn't Roja's belong on the list.  At least they are local while La Mesa is a chain
La Mesa's owner lives in the Omaha metro, wouldn't that make La Mesa locally owned?

Do they, or do the local franchise owners live in Omaha ( if it is a franchise and not company owned)?  I really don't know and am asking.  The Original La Mesa and owners were in St Joesph MO at one time.  I lived in St Joe for three years and was eating at the Original La Lesa back in the early 90's.  It was great then it and was nice to see them in Omaha after I moved back here.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

nebugeater wrote:
icejammer wrote:

Do they, or do the local franchise owners live in Omaha ( if it is a franchise and not company owned)?  I really don't know and am asking.  The Original La Mesa and owners were in St Joesph MO at one time.  I lived in St Joe for three years and was eating at the Original La Lesa back in the early 90's.  It was great then it and was nice to see them in Omaha after I moved back here.
Last I knew (which was a few years ago), Señor Oñate lived in the area, I believe he moved up here a couple years after opening shop in St. Joe.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

icejammer wrote:
nebugeater wrote:
icejammer wrote:

Last I knew (which was a few years ago), Señor Oñate lived in the area, I believe he moved up here a couple years after opening shop in St. Joe.

Moving here from St Joe is a no brainer!!!!
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

There's another new mexican place...132nd and Center.  El Potrero, I believe.
Brad
City Council

Re: Best Mexican food in Omaha

Post by Brad »

2014 Favorites: Mexican

http://www.omaha.com/go/dining/omavore/ ... f435f.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Sarah Baker Hansen, OWH wrote: El Dorado, 5134 S. 24th St.
La Choza, 5133 S. 25th St.
Mula, 3932 Farnam St.
Rivera's, 12047 Blondo St.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Mula eh? Interesting.
No posts exist for this topic
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I've only eaten at two of those four. ElDorado is definitely worth visiting. We eat there about 4 times a year. MULA....I haven't quite decided whether I like it enough to recommend it. I think El Alamo is resting in its laurels. El Aguila has a wonderful patio, but the food is only about average. Don Gaby's is good. As are all of the other places along or near 24th Street. Everyone should try Guaca Maya. It is a lot of fun, and a site to behold.
Newer Mexican restaurants we like include El Vallarta in LaVista, Cilantros and Margaritas.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

I really miss New Mexican food. Real green chilies (chopped up little green bits of vegetable cooked with pork, not slimey goo), and Carne Adovada. Dos de Oros makes good Carne Adovada, but it would be great to sit down in a real restaurant and eat it. Sopapillas that come to your table unadulterated by sugar, and puffed up and warm, with some honey.

Enough tacos.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Man, I'm trying to remember the last time I had a sopapilla, and I can't remember having any here in Omaha, maybe I'm either taking them for granted, or just used to always be served chips and salsa instead... I'm drawing a blank...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Rivera's had some that were close, but they served a metric |expletive| ton of them, so unless you came with a huge group, they were a waste.

UNMC's cafeteria now has a taco bar. Their soft shell tacos are made fresh as you order them and taste as good as most of the Mexican joints in town. So much for quality Mex food here. Is Omaha trying to reclaim it's place on the Santa Few list (formerly, the Omaha list) of cities you never eat Mexican in?
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Coyote wrote:Man, I'm trying to remember the last time I had a sopapilla, and I can't remember having any here in Omaha, maybe I'm either taking them for granted, or just used to always be served chips and salsa instead... I'm drawing a blank...

All Mexican restaurants that I had been to in New Mexico, Texas, and Colorado serve them as a meal accompaniment at no charge. In Nebraska, they are a dessert item for an additional charge. Some places here even charge for chips/salsa, which is also free in the aforementioned states that I have dined at.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I just asked s couple Latino ladies and the said Cilantros has the best Sopapillas, but then mentioned ice cream in the next sentence. I've never had them for dessert. They seemed to think El Dorado had the best Mexican around...
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Had them at Cilantros. Not the same. No honey and too damn much sugar and cinnamon. They weren't poofed up much either.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I definitely can recommend both La Poblanita and Estilo Jalisco for their tacos birria. Simply sublime. Both have very friendly, energetic owners who are proud to share their love of authentic Mexican food.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

nativeomahan wrote: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:58 pm I definitely can recommend both La Poblanita and Estilo Jalisco for their tacos birria. Simply sublime. Both have very friendly, energetic owners who are proud to share their love of authentic Mexican food.
I’d toss in Taqueria Tijuana, too.