Mojo Smokehouse & Ales @ Aksarben Village

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

According to facebook, Mojo will open next to Aksarben Cinima.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Investors from Misty's of Lincoln.  Chef Bill McKenna, from McKenna's fame.  Set to open late Winter.
Hal Dawg
Home Owners Association

Opening

Post by Hal Dawg »

Opening April 22, 2011, according to their website.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Signage up it looks like the inside is a ways off though.  I was just driving past and didn't get a great look though.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I'm guessing they are opening after Memorial Day, judging from the underwhelming speed at which they are working on the interior.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Walked by yesterday and they have to be getting close. Looks like they have done quite a bit of work in there over the last few weeks.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The lights were on yesterday evening inside.  So things are moving along now.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

I am very interested to see what the first actual sit down restaurant will do for AV.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:I am very interested to see what the first actual sit down restaurant will do for AV.
I can't wait!  There is a sit down (Jimmy D's) that has really good food, but more options will be great.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:I am very interested to see what the first actual sit down restaurant will do for AV.
I can't wait!  There is a sit down (Jimmy D's) that has really good food, but more options will be great.
Duh I always space that one south of Center.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Brad wrote: I can't wait!  There is a sit down (Jimmy D's) that has really good food, but more options will be great.
Technically that is not considered a part of AV.

http://www.aksarbenvillage.com/food-ent ... fault.aspx
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I know what the actual "Aksarben Village" is.  However there is no reason not to consider something directly across the street part of the neighborhood.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Just saying that iamjacobm's statement was correct. Jimi D's/Amato's/Blue Planet have no affect on AV because people drive there and then drive away. Mojo's will actually be in the village and should help the cinema/Jones Bros/Juice Stop/etc with extra foot traffic.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The street doesn't stop people from walking.  Its only 50' wide...
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

I live across the street from AV and I'm telling you that nobody drives to Jimi D's, eats and then walks up to Jones Bros or Learning HQ. It just doesn't happen.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ThatGuy wrote:I live across the street from AV and I'm telling you that nobody drives to Jimi D's, eats and then walks up to Jones Bros or Learning HQ. It just doesn't happen.
I understand that, but I am going to argue that 99.999% of the people that go to Aksarben Village for any reason Don't walk there.  Aksarben Village is still a one stop destination not really a place to spend the whole day.  I guarantee you that if I lived in Aksarben Village (or across the street like you), I would walk to Jimmy D's. without hesitation.  When I am working out at Aspen, I see most people pull up in their car, go in to one store then leave.  Some day I don't think it will be that way, but right now it is.

However you look at it, your way or mine, there is still not enough restaurants in Aksarben Village Proper or in the Aksarben Village Neighborhood.
Melissa
Home Owners Association

Post by Melissa »

Just for the record, I live over a mile from Aksarben Village and walk there frequently.  Frequently as in more than twice per week.  Also for the record, I know other people who do as well.  Also, my observation over the past three years is that Aksarben Village is exponentially busier this year than in the past two.  Old observations may not always hold true.
“Auditors are the people who show up after the battle and stab the wounded.”
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Melissa wrote:Just for the record, I live over a mile from Aksarben Village and walk there frequently.  Frequently as in more than twice per week.  Also for the record, I know other people who do as well.  Also, my observation over the past three years is that Aksarben Village is exponentially busier this year than in the past two.  Old observations may not always hold true.
You and the other 24 people who do this should be commended.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I and about 6 of my friends walked from AV over to Amato's for Sunday breakfast a few weeks back.  It was unseasonably cold that day, but it is only a block or two to walk for goodness sakes.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ThatGuy wrote:I live across the street from AV and I'm telling you that nobody drives to Jimi D's, eats and then walks up to Jones Bros or Learning HQ. It just doesn't happen.
I figured out why they don't walk over the Jones Bros...  Last night around 8 there was a whole group of people walking across Center with Ice Cream Cones from Buckey's...  :;):

On a serious note, Mojo's is really looking good.  Its going to be great having another food option in the neighborhood.
Melissa
Home Owners Association

Post by Melissa »

ThatGuy wrote:
Melissa wrote:Just for the record, I live over a mile from Aksarben Village and walk there frequently.  Frequently as in more than twice per week.  Also for the record, I know other people who do as well.  Also, my observation over the past three years is that Aksarben Village is exponentially busier this year than in the past two.  Old observations may not always hold true.
You and the other 24 people who do this should be commended.
Yikes.  Thank you Negative Nancy.  This forum endlessly talks about how awesome mixed use development is and how much everyone seems to want it, yet when it's available people can't wait to be the first to point out every negative and rumor that the entire development is going bankrupt.  

So, eOmaha Forumers - what do you want?  If you truly WANT mixed use development and amenities accessible without hopping in your car, then it's time to start patronizing what we have instead of kvetching that the development doesn't have a Crate & Barrel and whatever hot shot food establishment the next city has.
“Auditors are the people who show up after the battle and stab the wounded.”
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Opens tomorrow at 11am.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

We went to Mojo's on Friday Night.  Overall it was a good experience.  (There was one new restaurant bug that happened, but no big deal.  I have been part of two new restaurant openings and stuff happens so it doesn't bother me).

The Bad:
The entire place is Hard Surfaces.  Concrete Floor, Bare walls and open celling.  It is extremely loud in there you can't hear anything!

The Good:
One of the best BBQ places in Omaha.  The food was excellent, the meat had a great smokey flavor.  You could see a nice smoke ring in the brisket, the rib meat fell off the bone, and the sausage had a nice kick to it.  Really good!

The tables are covered in chalk board paint and there is chalk on each table so waiting for diner was fun.

They also feature a lot of local beers which is great.

Its great having a local place in the neighborhood, we will definitely be back.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

They had a booth set up at Stinson Park Saturday night and I had a pulled pork sandwich. Not a huge fan of their sauce, but the meat was excellent.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ThatGuy wrote:Not a huge fan of their sauce, but the meat was excellent.
I didn't really use any sauce other than what was on the Ribs.  However the Menu had a large selection of different sauces.

Who was playing in the park?  I was bumbed we missed Lemon Fresh Day last weekend.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

One of the usual cover bands, Brad. I think they were called The Funk or something like that. We love going over there on Saturday nights and having a few drinks while the kids hit the playground. Doesn't matter who is playing.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The 1/2 rack of Ribs I had Friday night, had more meat on the bone than any other restaurant I have been to in Omaha.  They were great!

On a side note, the place was empty at about 7 or so when we got there.  Hope it was just a holiday thing.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Worst ribs ever! I thought maybe I just got them on a bad night so I ordered them a second time. No doubt about it...Horrible.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I heard through the grapevine that some employees have posted on FB that Mojo's is closing.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Brad wrote:I heard through the grapevine that some employees have posted on FB that Mojo's is closing.

Yep, I think it has already closed?
No posts exist for this topic
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Not that surprising.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The karaoke guy said on their Facebook page to come out and Jon in for the last weekend.  They will be closing on Monday per his post.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Confirm this is closed all windows are covered and name removed
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Shame. I always wanted to go there but never got around to it...
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

I had ribs twice and they were better than Ozark of Harkert's.  Sad to hear them close.   That was a nice place to eat before hitting the movies.