Dunkin' Doughnuts Nebraska

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Dunkin' Doughnuts Nebraska

Post by Guest »

Rumor has it Zach Weigert is going to be buying and opening a few franchises in KC.  He then said he plans to "explode" them throughout Nebraska.
chaoman45
Home Owners Association

Post by chaoman45 »

Is there any indication which city would have them first?
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

Don't even get my hopes up about this. I soooo miss munchkins.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Dunkin had left Omaha prior to my moving here in 1987.  My hometown of Albuquerque had many of them.   They were good...
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

bbinks wrote:Dunkin had left Omaha prior to my moving here in 1987.  My hometown of Albuquerque had many of them.   They were good...
Wasn't there a Dunkin' Donuts on 84th between Center and the interstate?
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

icejammer wrote:
bbinks wrote:Dunkin had left Omaha prior to my moving here in 1987.  My hometown of Albuquerque had many of them.   They were good...
That was a Winchell's.  In the early 90's I was a manager at the McDonald's south of there.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

When I was a kid there was a Dunkin' Donuts on roughly 51st and L. The building is still there, but it's now a Subway I believe.
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

bbinks wrote:
icejammer wrote:
That was a Winchell's.  In the early 90's I was a manager at the McDonald's south of there.
Ah yes, mea culpa.
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."

--William Jennings Bryan
charlie123
Home Owners Association

Post by charlie123 »

I'm not sure if the local Omaha/Lincoln areas have room for more donut stores, but can say that in the New England States, there are Dunkin' Donut stores all over the place and they all always seem to be packed.    We have Winchell's on 120th as well as several Krispy Kreme locations, a few Donut Professor lcoations, a place called the Donut Haven in Millard and Lamar's Donuts off of 172nd and Harrison.  We also have Pettit's --one of my personal favorites...My point: We have a lot of Donut shops and either Dunkin' can either take the lead or enter a over-saturated market and barely survive.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

charlie123 wrote:I'm not sure if the local Omaha/Lincoln areas have room for more donut stores, but can say that in the New England States, there are Dunkin' Donut stores all over the place and they all always seem to be packed.    We have Winchell's on 120th as well as several Krispy Kreme locations, a few Donut Professor lcoations, a place called the Donut Haven in Millard and Lamar's Donuts off of 172nd and Harrison.  We also have Pettit's --one of my personal favorites...My point: We have a lot of Donut shops and either Dunkin' can either take the lead or enter a over-saturated market and barely survive.
I think Dunkin' is more competition to Starbucks and Scooters than it is to Donut Professor or Donut Haven type places.
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

iamjacobm wrote:
charlie123 wrote:I'm not sure if the local Omaha/Lincoln areas have room for more donut stores, but can say that in the New England States, there are Dunkin' Donut stores all over the place and they all always seem to be packed.    We have Winchell's on 120th as well as several Krispy Kreme locations, a few Donut Professor lcoations, a place called the Donut Haven in Millard and Lamar's Donuts off of 172nd and Harrison.  We also have Pettit's --one of my personal favorites...My point: We have a lot of Donut shops and either Dunkin' can either take the lead or enter a over-saturated market and barely survive.
I think Dunkin' is more competition to Starbucks and Scooters than it is to Donut Professor or Donut Haven type places.
Plus their donuts are better than Haven or Professor. And they're open past noon.  :roll:  I do like Winchell's. Haven't tried Lamar's or Pettit's. I will confirm that in Boston you could throw a rock and hit a DD. Salem alone has 3 and it's not that big of a town. I want Munchkins!!!
charlie123
Home Owners Association

Post by charlie123 »

That would definetly be the key to success...if they are competing on a "cofee basis".   I know that some of those donut places i mentioned likely don't have a popular coffee....whereas, Dunkin Donuts has their own brand you can buy at local stores.  So i can see where they could come in after Starbucks, Crane and Scooters.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

There were plenty DD in Albuquerque where I grew up, and that was long before they had a good line of coffee.   The last time I was at Donut Haven is when it was Dandy Do-nuts and they were very good.
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Near us there is a cobranded Dunkin/Baskin Robbins.  The donuts are ok, really nothing special.  Baskin is pretty good.  I'd still rather have Krispy Kreme & Ted & Wallys.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I love their coffee.  They also have great cake donuts.

Greg
agibson

Dippy Donuts

Post by agibson »

I miss Dippy Donuts. Anyone remember their cherry donuts on a stick? They were sooooo good.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!

Post by Guest »

I just heard on Good morning America that DD outsells all other coffee places, including Starbucks.....I think they should put one in Bellevue, Ne, right outside "Offutt AFB".

Post by Guest »

Its not about the donuts, its about all the drinks they have....I want a COOLATTA!!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

There was a DD in Benson where Harkert's is located now.
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

The news stories I've read discussing their IPO mentioned ambitious expansion plans, so I wouldn't be surprised to see more locations opening up in the near future.  Hey, we even had one in campustown at University of Illinois!
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

SabrinaFaire wrote:Plus their donuts are better than Haven or Professor. And they're open past noon.  :roll:  I do like Winchell's. Haven't tried Lamar's or Pettit's. I will confirm that in Boston you could throw a rock and hit a DD. Salem alone has 3 and it's not that big of a town. I want Munchkins!!!
Lamar's and Donut Haven blow the living |expletive| out of the "doughnuts" you get from DD.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

joeglow wrote: Lamar's and Donut Haven blow the living |expletive| out of the "doughnuts" you get from DD.

Is Donut Haven the same as its predecessor, Dandy Do-Nuts?  The Lamar's I used to go to was on 129th & Maple.  It was only open for about a year.  Lamars and Dandy were very good.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

bbinks wrote:
joeglow wrote: Lamar's and Donut Haven blow the living |expletive| out of the "doughnuts" you get from DD.

Is Donut Haven the same as its predecessor, Dandy Do-Nuts?  The Lamar's I used to go to was on 129th & Maple.  It was only open for about a year.  Lamars and Dandy were very good.
Yes, it is the old Dandy Donuts.  I have not had Lamar's since college, but it was the second best doughnut in Lincoln (the first being some locally owned joint on West O).
SabrinaFaire
Home Owners Association

Post by SabrinaFaire »

joeglow wrote:
SabrinaFaire wrote:Plus their donuts are better than Haven or Professor. And they're open past noon.  :roll:  I do like Winchell's. Haven't tried Lamar's or Pettit's. I will confirm that in Boston you could throw a rock and hit a DD. Salem alone has 3 and it's not that big of a town. I want Munchkins!!!
Lamar's and Donut Haven blow the living |expletive| out of the "doughnuts" you get from DD.
We shall have to agree to disagree then, my friend.
MrM
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MrM »

I have friends in Omaha from the Boston area.  They say DD has the best doughnuts and coffee  and wish they were here.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Dunkin’ Donuts Heading West
Inquisitr wrote:The company is hoping to open doors in the West from early 2013. Specifically, it’s aiming to introduce stores in Denver and Colorado Springs, Houston and Waco, Lincoln and Omaha, Oklahoma City and Tulsa, and Santa Fe and Albuquerque.
TitosBuritoBarn
Planning Board

Post by TitosBuritoBarn »

After living in Chicago for a little while now, I don't think Dunkin Donuts are any better than any other doughnut shop doughnuts. I'd have to say my favorite doughnuts come from Casey's.

Post by Guest »

I love dunkin donuts and wish they would bring one to Omaha =( (and not because of their donuts) They give you more bang for your buck at DD than they do at Scooters, Starbucks etc... heres hoping someone opens one soon. <Sigh>
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Dunkin' Donuts to double U.S. locations

http://money.cnn.com/2012/01/04/news/co ... ?hpt=hp_t3

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) -- America is about to run on twice as much Dunkin'.
Dunkin' Donuts plans to double its locations in the United States over the next 20 years, the company announced Wednesday.

The coffee and doughnut chain currently operates nearly 7,000 stores nationwide. Each new store adds an average of 20 to 25 new employees, both full and part-time a Dunkin spokeswoman said.
Dunkin' Donuts controls roughly 23% of the coffee and snack-shop market, according to Los Angeles-based industry research firm IBISWorld.
Its biggest competitor, Starbucks (SBUX, Fortune 500) controls about 32.6% market share and operated about 11,000 stores in the U.S. as of the end of 2010.
The announcement came as Dunkin' also said it has finished streamlining its supply chain, consolidating four existing regional suppliers under one entity, National DCP. The company said the move will cut costs.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Dunkin’ Donuts Opens Eight Restaurants in Des Moines
Franchise opportunities still available in Sioux City and Ottawa, Iowa, as well as in Lincoln and Omaha, Neb.

Convenience Store Decisions wrote:To drive its expansion efforts, Dunkin’ Donuts has aligned its strategy to support the growth opportunities and consumer needs of individual markets.  As a result, the company continues to expand with single and multi-unit opportunities with no minimum unit requirements.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

Dunkin' Donuts Announces 12 New Restaurants in Omaha, Nebraska and Sioux City, Iowa With Savoureux Corporation
Dunkin' Donuts, America's everyday, all-day stop for coffee and baked goods, announced today the signing of a multi-unit store development agreement with existing franchisees, Savoureux Corporation, for 12 new restaurants in North Omaha, Nebraska and Sioux City, Iowa with the first restaurant planned to open in 2013.
skinzfan23
City Council

Dunkin' Donuts

Post by skinzfan23 »

From the World Herald:
Ex-Huskers to open Dunkin' Donuts
http://www.omaha.com/article/20120119/N ... kin-donuts
Dunkin' Donuts is opening a dozen new restaurants in Omaha and Sioux City Iowa. The first restaurant will open in 2013.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

ZOMG!
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
charlie123
Home Owners Association

Post by charlie123 »

Looks like the original rumor posted by Guest last April proves to be true.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

charlie123 wrote:Looks like the original rumor posted by Guest last April proves to be true.
I'll claim this one.

I heard it over Easter last year from my uncle and didn't know if it was my place to spill it or not.  I took the safe route and went "guest."
charlie123
Home Owners Association

Post by charlie123 »

I was told that it's a requirement of the franchise that when you open up a Dunkin' Donuts store, you are also required to include a Baskin Robbin's store (combined w/the Dunkin' Donuts store) for every few Dunkin' Donuts Stores opened.  Not sure if it's at all true or not, but thought I would throw it out there.  On the east coast, most of the stores are combined like how we see Pizza Hut combined with Taco bells, etc or KFCs.      I know a lot of people want Baskin Robbins here as well, so we'll see if we get them.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

When did we lose the Baskin Robbins at 78th and Pacific anyway? (hah... probably a decade or more ago, huh?)
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

charlie123 wrote:I was told that it's a requirement of the franchise that when you open up a Dunkin' Donuts store, you are also required to include a Baskin Robbin's store (combined w/the Dunkin' Donuts store) for every few Dunkin' Donuts Stores opened.  Not sure if it's at all true or not, but thought I would throw it out there.  On the east coast, most of the stores are combined like how we see Pizza Hut combined with Taco bells, etc or KFCs.      I know a lot of people want Baskin Robbins here as well, so we'll see if we get them.
What will we call such hybrid stores: Baskin Donuts or Dunkin' Robbins?
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Bask 'n Nuts.
Stable genius.