Egg & I

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Egg & I

Post by Brad »

Grow Omaha is reporting the Egg & I is coming to the old Godfater's location at 168th and Center. (godfathers moved down a bay or two)
Last edited by Brad on Fri Aug 24, 2012 9:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
nativeomahan
County Board

Re: Egg & I (168 and Center)

Post by nativeomahan »

Brad wrote:Grow Omaha is reporting the Egg & I is coming to the old Godfater's location at 168th and Center. (godfathers moved down a bay or two)
What the heck is that?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I went to the Edd and I in Estes Park, CO a few years ago.  It was good.
nemajordude
New to the Neighborhood

Post by nemajordude »

Someone please explain to the manager of this restaurant that, when his server dumps ice water all over your customer's 3-year-old son, it is appropriate to comp all or part of the party's ticket. Stuff happens, it was just water, my wife and I were nice about it, the server apologized profusely and obviously felt bad. I used to wait tables, I know that stuff happens. However, when stuff does happen, no matter how nice the customers are about it, it is appropriate for the manager of the restaurant to acknowledge that something happened, and comp at least the 3 year old's kids meal, if not the entire check.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

It might be worthwhile to call up when the manager is in and see if they won't compensate you. Give them something tangible and reasonable that will make you happy. Restaurants aren't fortune tellers and it's hard to guess a solution to appease a dissatisfied customer.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

nemajordude wrote:Someone please explain to the manager of this restaurant that, when his server dumps ice water all over your customer's 3-year-old son, it is appropriate to comp all or part of the party's ticket. Stuff happens, it was just water, my wife and I were nice about it, the server apologized profusely and obviously felt bad. I used to wait tables, I know that stuff happens. However, when stuff does happen, no matter how nice the customers are about it, it is appropriate for the manager of the restaurant to acknowledge that something happened, and comp at least the 3 year old's kids meal, if not the entire check.
I would not expect anything comped over spilled water.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Funny, just last night I was at a well-known downtown restaurant when a waiter walked by with a hot plate (I assume fajitas) which were still sizzling, and splattered hot grease on back and arm of a nice shirt I was wearing. The thought of a free meal, or a partially comped meal, never crossed my mind; |expletive| happens and the shirt will clean up.

Now if the food sucks, that's another story, but I also wouldn't eat the entire meal then demand comps.
Last edited by S33 on Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

I didn't realize last night that it was their first post. Maybe Yelp would have been a better venue to complain about the visit.

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

On a related note, I was at the Chili's on 84th and one person with me got up to tell the hostess that the music was a bit loud.  Her response was "well, I like it."  Then, as we left, her and her little friend shot us glares.  Now THIS will elicit a call to the manager on Monday.

On edit:  manager said he had a "pretty good idea who we were talking about."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Grow Omaha is Reporting a Second Edd and I location.  This one is in the same shopping Center as Lowes out on 147th and Maple.  It will be in the same area as chipolte.
Ryan_Huskers
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ryan_Huskers »

They already have their sign up above the bay next to Chipotle.   I didn't get close enough to see how much had been done inside yet.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like another Egg & I is going to be opening.  It is in the strip mall in front of Mendards in Bellevue.  Opposite end from Famose Dave's   The sign is up outside the bays they are going in this AM but there looks to be a lot of work to do yet to open.  Contactors were going in and out today so it is being worked on.  

(If this is posted elswhere I didn't find it)

EDIT:

A little searching shows that they will be open in September

http://www.theeggandirestaurants.com/lo ... levue.html

Also looks like there first Iowa location will be opeing in Des Moines
Last edited by nebugeater on Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

joeglow wrote:On a related note, I was at the Chili's on 84th and one person with me got up to tell the hostess that the music was a bit loud.  Her response was "well, I like it."  
May I respond to this older post?  A friend and I were talking the other day about how music is often too loud in so many places.  That reminded me of a comedy routine (can't remember by who) that wondered just who wants that loud music?  Do we go to restaurants to listen to music?  Not unless it's live.  Do we usually try to hold a conversation during a meal?  Often...but with great difficulty if the music is too loud.

My friend and I thought about opening a restaurant called "Quiet" with great food and service and NO MUSIC.  We wonder how it would go over.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

On a similar note: I was with a friend at a shoe store in Austin a few years back, and she asked them to turn down the music since it was blaring. They came back and said they couldn't, that it was set by headquarters. We left.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

garyomaha wrote:
joeglow wrote:On a related note, I was at the Chili's on 84th and one person with me got up to tell the hostess that the music was a bit loud.  Her response was "well, I like it."  
May I respond to this older post?  A friend and I were talking the other day about how music is often too loud in so many places.  That reminded me of a comedy routine (can't remember by who) that wondered just who wants that loud music?  Do we go to restaurants to listen to music?  Not unless it's live.  Do we usually try to hold a conversation during a meal?  Often...but with great difficulty if the music is too loud.

My friend and I thought about opening a restaurant called "Quiet" with great food and service and NO MUSIC.  We wonder how it would go over.
A restaurant owner was talking with us at Bocce last month about this.  Turns out that when you design the place, you can make it loud.  But, if you do, it is often so expensive to make it get quieter, that they just live with it.  Normally, this is a deal killer for me with return trips.  I get to see so little of my wife that I don't want to listen to music when I could be listening to her.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nebugeater wrote:Looks like another Egg & I is going to be opening.  It is in the strip mall in front of Mendards in Bellevue.  Opposite end from Famose Dave's   The sign is up outside the bays they are going in this AM but there looks to be a lot of work to do yet to open.  Contactors were going in and out today so it is being worked on.  

(If this is posted elswhere I didn't find it)

EDIT:

A little searching shows that they will be open in September

http://www.theeggandirestaurants.com/lo ... levue.html

Also looks like there first Iowa location will be opening in Des Moines

Sign said they are opening on Sept 9th

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Has anyone eaten at both The Egg and I and at Jimmy's Eggs and could explain the difference?
Are these just breakfast places, and serve...?
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

These places seem to be the chain equivalent of NY deli's which operate fast in and out breakfast services.. not a bad niche considering how amazing a nice egg sandwich is in the morning and I'm there a lot of people tired of the McDonalds fake breakfast sandwiches by now.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

So this is basically just a McD's vs BK kind of preferred eating establishments?
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Never been to The Egg and I but on line there menu has a full lunch menu along with the breakfast items
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Coyote wrote:So this is basically just a McD's vs BK kind of preferred eating establishments?
Haha I guess so.. its hard to think of too many different ways of assembling egg based breakfast items than what these places offer..
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Went to the Egg and I once in Estes Park and it was decent.  Ate at the one here and it was fair, but the service sucked.
 No need to drive all the way out there when there are much better places in east o.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:Has anyone eaten at both The Egg and I and at Jimmy's Eggs and could explain the difference?
Are these just breakfast places, and serve...?
Egg and I seems to use a bit more seasoning than Jimmy's Egg or LePeep.

Jimmy's Egg seems to have more variety to the menu.

All of those newer "Egg" places really put IHOP to shame! :)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I forgot about La Peep. I haven't been there for a while. Maube we now nned a good Breakfastr restaurant poll..
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I went to Egg & I ( 147th  and Maple) for lunch today and I was pleasantly surprised. The menu looked good and when I saw Andouille I immediately ordered the New Orleans Omelet. The décor made you feel as if you were not in a egg breakfast joint even though it was in a strip mall between Chipotle's and China Buffett. Talked with the General Manager Josh asking him what he thought about their place in the Omaha market. They make everything to cut there, all fresh and was willing to accommodate any additions you may want. They do not make pico but would be willing to come back with some. He thinks their fresh ingredients will separate them from other similar establishments. I thought this put Jimmy's Eggs to shame, and I will be coming back here. The New Orleans Omelet was only about $8.50, and he suggested another item, their Green Chili Chicken Hash that I must try.  

bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I have had far different experience here.  I won't return.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Coyote wrote:I went to Egg & I ( 147th  and Maple) for lunch today and I was pleasantly surprised.
I've been to this one several times and it was great on all occasions. I've also been to another one (off 114th?) and it was very good too.

The food was good, the service was prompt and it was very reasonable in cost.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

bbinks wrote:I have had far different experience here.  I won't return.
If it was a one time bad expr. you may consider giving it another shot.  I have had lunch at the new Egg *& I in Bellevue a few times and it has always been a positive experiance.