Galo Brazilian Grill

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Galo Brazilian Grill

Post by Brad »

Just saw signs up for Galo Brazilian Grill in the Shops of Legacy.  I think its the former Fuddruckers spot.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Galo Brazilian Grill

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:Just saw signs up for Galo Brazilian Grill in the Shops of Legacy.  I think its the former Fuddruckers spot.
Yes, it is going in the former Fuddruckers according to City Council documents.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Never heard of them, but we have zero Brazilian restaurants now in the entire state!
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

nativeomahan wrote:Never heard of them, but we have zero Brazilian restaurants now in the entire state!
If they are at all good, I will be trying them out soon after they open.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I don't know, this is River City Yogurt, Inc., dba “Galo Brazilian Grill”.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

Coyote wrote:I don't know, this is River City Yogurt, Inc., dba “Galo Brazilian Grill”.

Yeah, a "cafeteria style self-service" restaurant run by River City Yogurt doesn't exactly get my hopes up.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Coyote wrote:I don't know, this is River City Yogurt, Inc., dba “Galo Brazilian Grill”.
I don't think its uncommon for a corporation to run multiple restaurants under one corporations.  I have worked for two here in Omaha that ran different restaurants under one corporation.
mgmlot93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgmlot93 »

If it is a brazilian style restaurant with the open fire cooking and parade of meats it would be awesome. If it's a sad attempt at a brazilian place it will be disappointing. I am surprised that we don't have a brazilian chain restaurant yet.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Is this place going to be buffet style?  Every other "Brazil Grill" I searched for on the internet was buffet style.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:Is this place going to be buffet style?  Every other "Brazil Grill" I searched for on the internet was buffet style.
The one I went to had the sides and the salads buffet style, but the meat came to your table on big swords!  It was awesome.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

And we all know how Brad loves his big sworded meat.
Stable genius.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Big E wrote:And we all know how Brad loves his big sworded meat.
Its like clockwork.  :)
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Tried this place out... I like it.  A Fogo de Chao type establishment it isn't... the atmosphere is nice, indeed, it's a Brazilian buffet, but the food was very good for the money... several selections of 'gaucho prepared' meats along with a number of sides to select from.  The chef is in fact Brazilian (owners son-in-law)... a family business.  It's all priced by the pound... $7.99 a lb to be precise.  My wife's selections weighed in under a lb, and mine slightly over (a tiny fraction of the last Brazilian place we ate at... and a more 'healthy' portion as well).
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I guess I didn't realize you paid by the pound at some Brazilian places.  I went to "Texas de Brazil" in Dallas.  Everyone payed a flat rate, which I think was around $50 per person.  I didn't pay so I am not sure.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Brad, this is unique as far as I know... I'm used to the $50 dinner at Fogo de Chao as well (which is great mind you, but you do feel compelled to engorge yourself with that in mind).   At Galo, you load up your plate with precisely what you want to eat... they'll weigh it for you, and that's what you pay for.  Great for my wife who hardly eats anything... she came in well under a pound... and I'm trying to eat a little less these days as well.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

The last Brazilian grill I ate at was in the north Bronx. You paid by the pound there as well.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

almighty_tuna wrote:...in the north Bronx. You paid by the pound there as well.
That's the same way they handle hookers.
Stable genius.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Big E wrote:
almighty_tuna wrote:...in the north Bronx. You paid by the pound there as well.
That's the same way they handle hookers.
Exact change is a lost art
mgmlot93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgmlot93 »

We ate here last weekend. The food was decent and the service was good. It is definitely not a traditional Brazilian restaurant but what they have is good. The only down side is that the line really backs up since the meats are carved to order in the buffet line.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Must be getting some patrons... when I went we were practically the only ones there.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

There is a lengthy review

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120511/N ... ats-sweets
Flip through the pages of an in-flight magazine and you'll likely see an ad for Fogo de Chão or Texas de Brazil, those swank Brazilian steakhouses, also called churrascarias.
Servers wielding skewered hunks of slow-roasted meats slice and serve them at your table. This all-you-can-eat bonanza comes with a bevy of hot and cold side dishes.
It also comes with a hefty price tag.
You'll get a slice of that Brazilian steakhouse experience at the recently opened and locally owned Galo Brazilian Grill near 168th Street and West Center Road. But while you will find roasted meats cooked on a wood-and-charcoal-fired grill, they're not presented tableside. Unlike those national chains, Galo features a casual setting and cafeteria-style concept. Instead of a set price, you pay $8.99 a pound. And the selection of meats and sides is substantially smaller here.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Galo is closed.  Will miss it... food wasn't exceptional, but it was good for the $8.99/lb pricing concept... and unique to Omaha.  Oh well, keep waiting for a real Brazilian steakhouse.