What's your favorite dive bar?

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

byrdrules
Home Owners Association

What's your favorite dive bar?

Post by byrdrules »

Yeah, I know - the term "dive bar" is a loose one at best and can be debated into nothingness.  However, I got into a discussion with some folks at work and figured that most bar frequenting people have a go to bar usually near their residence that they feel the most comfortable at.  For instance, I really love all the places in the Old Market and a few other "upscale" bars, but nine times out of ten you'll find me at the Elbow Room on 50th and Center.  Where is everyone else's favorite "dive bar"?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I love Marley Bone, after that probably underwood bar.
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

I used to love Macky D's (84th & Q), but have not been back in a couple years, as it had gotten pretty ghetto.  They changed to the Big 10 Bar about a year ago have meant to try it out again.  Lately, we have been going to the Report In Pub (120th and Center) and really like it.  I only live a couple blocks from the Pheasant Tavern, but have only been there a couple times (it was interesting enough that I would go back).
mr. omaha
Home Owners Association

Post by mr. omaha »

The one... the only... the Homy Inn.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Back in the Day, Pat and Mikes!  We went there all the time, but since I moved away, I don't make it there often.

Now we end up at Barret's a lot.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Rose & Crown
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Brothers on 38th and Farnam. I miss it daily. (It's still there, I'm just not).

Also, I'll second the Homy Inn.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

O'Leavers is my first choice in dives.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Swift wrote:Brothers on 38th and Farnam. I miss it daily. (It's still there, I'm just not).

Also, I'll second the Homy Inn.
Back when I lived in that area, a bunch of us used to get together at Brothers regularly. I wouldn't have called it a "dive" back then, but I haven't been there in maybe 10 years or so. Now the place up at 40th, used to be Players, then Jaspers, was a dive. :)

I didn't consider Marylebone to be a dive either. But again, haven't been there in years.

I'm trying to remember Homy Inn. Is this the one on Saddle Creek or is that The Nifty?  I know I've been to both, but not regularly or recently. (I can tell a story about a misspelling of Homy Inn.) :)
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I'll second the Marley Bone and Barrets. There was also a really a rough looking bar on North 90th my buddies and I used to go to play pool, but I forget the name. (it was near Alvarados)
Last edited by S33 on Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

S33 wrote:There was also a really a rougher looking bar on North 90th my buddies and I used to go to play pool, but I forget the name. (it was near Alvarados)
Clubhouse
Stu's
Pat and Mike's
Brook Park (I think that's what its called)
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Ahh, Stu's it was!
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Homey Inn is by far the best. The My Way on 84th and Maple is a pretty good, Full House in Benson is also pretty fun.

If its possible to have a dive bar in the Old Market I will give my vote to Dubliner. Love that place cause you can go downtown but avoid the Capital/Whiskey Tango crowd, which is my main mission if I go downtown.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

cp jay 07 wrote:Love that place cause you can go downtown but avoid the Capital/Whiskey Tango crowd, which is my main mission if I go downtown.
:cheers:  Exactly!
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Lol - the Whiskey Tango crowd... where do I begin... The place smells of sweat in leather and musty ball sacks. I could say more I know about it, but I'm not about to drag someone else's business through the dirt.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Interlude or Green Onion for me.

Greg
Seth
Parks & Recreation

Post by Seth »

S33 wrote:Lol - the Whiskey Tango crowd... where do I begin... The place smells of sweat in leather and musty ball sacks. I could say more I know about it, but I'm not about to drag someone else's business through the dirt.
Last time I was there I think there were a lot more city frat kids who thought they were cool for being at a country bar than anybody who know anything about cattle.  I even grew up on a dairy farm, so I can spot actual farmers, lol!
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

What do you consider a "dive bar?"  I have always considered it a neighborhood bar that few people have been to/know about and is mostly regulars.  Most of the bars I have seen mentioned here are pretty popular, most everyone has heard of and even been to.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Green Onion is a bit more of a destination bar than a dive bar, although the decor may not appear that way from the inside.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Wayside Tavern, 85th & Maple.
omaharocks
New to the Neighborhood

Post by omaharocks »

Library Pub, just south of 90th & Fort.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

The Beauty Bar. Either the original or the one in downtown Las Vegas! :)
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

http://www.hitthatdive.com/

Some pretty well written reviews here, IMO.
HitThatDive
New to the Neighborhood

Post by HitThatDive »

My favorite dive bar in Omaha is Brass Monkey 36th and V.  Best kept secret in town.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

byrdrules wrote:http://www.hitthatdive.com/

Some pretty well written reviews here, IMO.
Good site. Thanks.

They even have the Double Down. :)
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

HitThatDive wrote:My favorite dive bar in Omaha is Brass Monkey 36th and V.  Best kept secret in town.
Started my St. Patrick's marathon there this year, it is quite the gem in that area of town - It can get sketchy around there quick.
HitThatDive
New to the Neighborhood

Post by HitThatDive »

Started my St. Patrick's marathon there this year, it is quite the gem in that area of town - It can get sketchy around there quick.

I spent most of St. Patrick's Day in the same barstool there.  If you're looking for some real dive bar adventures check out Sneaky Pete's at 3802 L St.  Now that's the definition of sketchy.
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

I spent most of St. Patrick's Day in the same barstool there.  If you're looking for some real dive bar adventures check out Sneaky Pete's at 3802 L St.  Now that's the definition of sketchy.
That would require me to leave the Elbow Room, and it takes a lot to make that happen.
Last edited by byrdrules on Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
twiztid1
Home Owners Association

Post by twiztid1 »

I love the review of Barry O's.  That's my favorite place.
HitThatDive
New to the Neighborhood

Post by HitThatDive »

If Ben is still tending bar at the Elbow Room, tell him I still owe him a return visit next time you're there.

Barry and I had a few words via Facebook this time last year, but try as I might, I just could not find a reason to not like Barry O's.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

byrdrules wrote:
HitThatDive wrote:My favorite dive bar in Omaha is Brass Monkey 36th and V.  Best kept secret in town.
Was there last year with my BIL and sister.  Still have family in the neighborhood (grew up 4 blocks away)---I remember when it was Little Paul's.  Great beer selection.  Sketchy?  Not by South Omaha standards.  It's a nice neighborhood bar and always has been.  Historical trivia: 50 years ago, many of the bars within a mile radius of the packing houses opened at 6 A.M. so the workers could get their shots and beer before heading off to work.  They closed at around 9 A.M. and re-opened around 3 P.M..  Little Paul's was a hangout for the guys (mostly Croatian and Lithuanian) who worked at the Wilson Co. Packing plant near Upland Park.  The real dive bars at the time were just east of the stockyards where the Kennedy Freeway is now, and along Q St. between 25th and 33rd (most of those buildings are long gone)----illegal/homemade booze, gambling in the back, working girls, knife fights, etc..
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

ricko wrote:illegal/homemade booze, gambling in the back, working girls, knife fights, etc..
You know, back before the immigrants ruined the neighborhood.    :;):
Stable genius.
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

Damn Mexicans.
Brad
City Council

Re:

Post by Brad »

According to Scuba Steve from Hit that Dive, the Brass Monkey closed down for good as of today.
Brad
City Council

Re: What's your favorite dive bar?

Post by Brad »

Love seeing Pat and Mike's and Danny's on the List! Great Bars!

A football fan's guide: Omaha's best game day bars

http://www.omaha.com/article/20140124/G ... e-day-bars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Jeff Peterson / World-Herald Correspondent wrote: This story is about bars where you have to share a table on game day with a stranger to see the TV. Bars where regulars bring their own halftime chili in slow cookers. Bars where you get a funny look if your drink of choice is something other than brown booze or Bud Light.

Coyote
City Council

Re: Re:

Post by Coyote »

Brad wrote:
According to Scuba Steve from Hit that Dive, the Brass Monkey closed down for good as of today.
Brass Monkey bar to reopen with new owner
Andrea Kszystyniak: World-Herald staff writer wrote:Hatterman said he wants to bring the Brass Monkey, at 5611 S. 36th St., back to what it once was. He plans to continue to focus on craft beers and also wants to expand on the bar’s whiskey and bourbon menu.

Tworek and Hatterman said they hope to have the bar open by St. Patrick’s Day. They’re not sure if that will be possible; the bar is still waiting for a liquor license.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Liquor license before the City Council this coming Tuesday.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

South Omaha bar will reopen this week with new look, Skee-Ball
Andrea Kszystyniak: World-Herald staff writer wrote:The south Omaha bar is slated to open on Thursday at 6 p.m. The bar, located at 5611 S. 36th St., has been remodeled and now features large murals with old images of south Omaha. They have also added Skee-Ball and pinball games, and they've updated the jukebox.
joeglow
Planning Board

Re:

Post by joeglow »

joeglow wrote:I used to love Macky D's (84th & Q), but have not been back in a couple years, as it had gotten pretty ghetto.  They changed to the Big 10 Bar about a year ago have meant to try it out again.  Lately, we have been going to the Report In Pub (120th and Center) and really like it.  I only live a couple blocks from the Pheasant Tavern, but have only been there a couple times (it was interesting enough that I would go back).
Funny to read this two years later. Pheasant is now my favorite bar.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha's dive-iest dive bars
Andrea Kszystyniak: World-Herald staff writer wrote:When you envision a dive, you may first think of a shabby place with only Budweiser on tap, where people go to hide from the cops or their angry spouses. But the word has grown to mean something quite different.
Mary Kaufman, owner of Sneaky Pete's Saloon, said dive bars aren't what they used to be. “Now a dive bar is a place that everybody can get together, everybody knows everybody, and everybody just has a darned good time,” she said.