J Coco (52nd and Leavenworth)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Word on the restaurant scene is that the former chef of the Flatiron, Jennifer Coco, is working on an upscale neighborhood concept for a restaurant, in which case you will be getting exactly what you wanted!
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

If Jennifer Coco is involved, it will be fantastic.  A James Beard award finalist, she does excellent work!
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Skersy
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Skersy »

Jennifer Coco has left Flatiron and is opening a new restaurant there....
Globochem
Home Owners Association

Post by Globochem »

Yep.  She and Jason Savage, who opened "The Capitol", will operate.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Dining notes
Omaha World Herald wrote:Flatiron Cafe chef Jennifer Coco is leaving the restaurant to open her own space, J. Coco, in part of the former Wohlner's Grocery Store space at 52nd and Leavenworth Streets. She described Coco's new midtown restaurant as "comfort food like you haven't had it elsewhere." She said Coco is hoping to open the space by the first of next year.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

does anyone have an update on J Coco (the restaurant)?  The original article said hoping for a Jan 1 opening, but that clearly hasn't happened, and I haven't been able to find any sort of publicity on this place yet - no website, fb page, etc.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ben wrote:does anyone have an update on J Coco (the restaurant)?  The original article said hoping for a Jan 1 opening, but that clearly hasn't happened, and I haven't been able to find any sort of publicity on this place yet - no website, fb page, etc.
They are still working on the inside.  They also have a banner hanging up in the window now.
Patnukem
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Patnukem »

The opening date was pushed back, typical for restaurants.  I know they have a website in development, I worked on the J. Coco logo and I am doing the website for her.  This was why I was asking for some old pictures.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Drywall is going up in Jcoco.  The place has really started moving along in the past week.  Hopefully it won't be too much longer.  Also, I bet the neighbors just love having a nice local coffee shop in the neighborhood.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The OWH just reminded me, J Coco is opening next week.  Its on their Facebook Page.
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

Happened to drive by one night last week and they had the lights on inside, it looks gorgeous in there - I can't wait!
nebport5
Planning Board

J Coco

Post by nebport5 »

First night open tonight.  Lunch starts next week.
byrdrules
Home Owners Association

Post by byrdrules »

Had my first visit tonight, absolutely spectacular.  I had the braised short ribs, the other folks in my group had the cuban sandwich and a burger.  Everything was top notch, and the bill really wasn't too bad at all.  Definitely a must try.
mgmlot93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgmlot93 »

I have to agree - the food is really good. The service is a little "off" but I think they will get all that smoothed out as time goes by. The important thing is the place looks great and the food is good.
lisanstan
Library Board

Post by lisanstan »

Went to J Coco tonight. Food was fantastic if a bit pricey. Cost $90 for 2 drinks at the bar, 1 ice tea, 2 entrees. No appetizer, no salad, no sides. But again, it was soooooo good. Will definitely go back.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

I need to check out this place soon.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Went last night for the first time.  Spectacular food, nice atmosphere, and reuse of an old space.  In regards to it being expensive, I've got to respectfully disagree.  I think that's probably the best thing about the menu - the varied price points.  There were several dinner salads and sandwiches for $10-14, which is very reasonable.  Yes, there were entrees in the $22-26 range, but that's entirely expected at a restaurant of this caliber.  In our party of 5, everyone loved everything they tasted, and people spent anywhere from $18-35, in total, depending on what they had.  I'll certainly be back.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Went there tonight.  Everything was great!  Great food, great company, great location!
mgmlot93
New to the Neighborhood

Post by mgmlot93 »

Just have to add that we went back last night for dinner and the service was much better and my entree (the iowa lamb two ways) was the best lamb I have ever had. We had a table of 14 in the chefs room and it was a great experience.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

J. Coco gets a OWH GO section review by Sarah Baker Hansen

http://www.omaha.com/article/20120504/G ... w-stumbles

A lot of what I ate at the new restaurant inside the former Wohlner's Grocery Store on 52nd and Leavenworth Streets was great. I experienced service issues early on, but management is dealing with them. And though I encountered a few stumbles — aside from my own — I found enough good to believe that Chef Jennifer Coco may have found a new niche.

Inside, J. Coco is modern. Not much is held over from Wohlner's. The creaky old floors are evened out and the ceiling glows with arty recessed lighting. A long, busy bar anchors the east side and on the south and west walls are two giant black-and-white images of vintage grocery stores — Ben Newman's, the store in the space before Wohlner's, and Coco's grandfather's store, which used to be at 16th and William Streets. The photographs, a gentle nod to the restaurant's and Omaha's past, do a lot for the atmosphere.
On earlier visits to J. Coco, I encountered some service issues — a dining partner with a food allergy was twice served the food she said she was allergic to. Timing also was off, and an appetizer came after everyone was finished with their entrees. Wine recommendations veered more toward the pricey than the tasty.

Coco said she's working on those things and others with the staff.

“I want the staff to read the customer,” Coco said “I also want to give the formal experience but at an informal price.”

She said her communication with the staff has improved since the restaurant opened, and the staff is learning the menu and the bar.

She also said she underestimated just how popular her eponymous new restaurant would be.

J. Coco won me over for good on my second visit, plying me with delicious, tender short ribs and a pretty amazing hamburger.

Read the rest at the link
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Went back for a second visit this weekend, and have some additional comments/critiques:

-the no reservations for a party under 8 needs to be changed.  Waiting over an hour on a weekend evening for a table in Omaha just isn't going to be tolerated once the buzz on this place wears off.

-the chef's table is the way to go in this place.  Nice and intimate, less noise than the main dining room, and fun to interact with the kitchen staff.  Jennifer even popped over to see how everything was.

-everything on the menu continues to be spectacular.  Both times I've visited we've all enjoyed all of the food.  Between the 2 visits, I'd say almost half the menu has been tasted, and very little disappoints.

-The burgers are top notch, and while this place certainly isn't a burger joint, I'd put their Wagyu burger up against any of the other supposed "best burgers" in Omaha.  The pretzel roll bun is great.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Went to J Coco for our first anniversary tonight.  It was amazing.  The waitress even gave us a free desert when she learned it was our anniversary.  Thanks to everyone on here for writing about the restaurant.  Glad that we tried it.