B & G Tasty Foods (7900 W Dodge Rd)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

B & G Tasty Foods (7900 W Dodge Rd)

Post by NovakOmaha »

With apologies to Maid Rite, which I personally find bland, my favorite loose meat is at B & G.  I just saw their web site & it looks like the menu has been expanded.

http://bgtastyfoods.com/

I'm coming in for the Berkshire weekend & Warren can eat wherever he wants.  I'll be at B&G at least once that weekend.  Also going to Jams & Julios.  Probably Jim & Jennies.  And yeah, probably break down & get a Runza.  Oh, yeah, M's Pub.  May have to extend the trip.
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: B & G Tasty Foods "new" website?

Post by Omababe »

NovakOmaha wrote:With apologies to Maid Rite, which I personally find bland, my favorite loose meat is at B & G.  I just saw their web site & it looks like the menu has been expanded.

Thanks for posting that!

It's places like B&G which we really need to patronize and support. I realized I haven't been there in almost a decade and definitely need to stop in.

Yes, I enjoy their version of the Tavern sandwich more than Maid Rite. The B&G is more flavorful. IIRC the B&G has some real chopped onion in it, and I'm guessing that the Maid Rite has trace amounts of LOSM or something like that in it.

Also, I think the last/only/(maybe?) Maid Rite in the Omaha area closed last fall. Is there one still around?
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Re: B & G Tasty Foods "new" website?

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

NovakOmaha wrote:With apologies to Maid Rite, which I personally find bland, my favorite loose meat is at B & G.  I just saw their web site & it looks like the menu has been expanded.

I'm coming in for the Berkshire weekend & Warren can eat wherever he wants.  I'll be at B&G at least once that weekend.  Also going to Jams & Julios.  Probably Jim & Jennies.  And yeah, probably break down & get a Runza.  Oh, yeah, M's Pub.  May have to extend the trip.

For some reason that site reminds me of Jimmy Johns..
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

B & G used to have a bus boy that was special needs.  Great guy.  Not sure if he was family or not.  
Cheese frenchee with loose meat in it?  There's an AHA moment.  Heart attack on a plate but I gotta do it.
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

NovakOmaha wrote:Cheese frenchee with loose meat in it?  There's an AHA moment.  Heart attack on a plate but I gotta do it.
That would be like a deepfried cheeseburger. Sounds like something they would serve at a Texas county fair. (If they don't already!) :)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Tried the Bee Gee Frenchee today:

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Ok, so you had the cheese frenchee.  So how was it?  

I've tried to walk in an order something other than a bunch of BGs....never pulled the trigger.  I hope the same people own it.  They were great.  Bring in all the chains you want, and they will, but its these places that give a city character.  More skin in the game.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

NovakOmaha wrote:Ok, so you had the cheese frenchee.  So how was it?
I enjoyed the Bee Gee Frenchee very much, but forgot it came right out of the deep fry when I bit into it. I was afraid it would be too 'airy' / not filling enough that Don & Millie's Frenchees always keeps me with. But with the Bee Gee Meat inside it was real comfort food. I almost stayed for the deep fried Banana and Nutella Frenchee, but figured I may need to walk a few of the BG off first. Nice atmosphere for a strip mall joint. I will go back to try something else on their menu...
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Someone is going to have to go there & let us know how the banana nutela frenchee is.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Just looked at their website.  To be honest, I never knew this place existed.  I am always looking for local places to take people from out of town when they visit.  I am definitely going to have to try this out.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ken Bliss and Gayle Gainsforth were the original owners of B & G Drive-In, which was also known as B & G Tasty Treet and most recently B & G Tasty Foods. In 1953, Ken and Gayle, who were co-workers and friends in Fremont, Nebraska, were presented with the opportunity to buy a then-closed Omaha drive-in, and they jumped at the chance.

The building the men purchased for their eatery was located just west of its present location. It was then on the outskirts of Omaha, next to a golf course. Customers were served by car hops at the original location, but car hopping ceased when the business moved to its present location in Beverly Hills Plaza in 1973.

Gayle, with his wife, Shirley, and Ken with his wife, Marge, worked at the drive-in as did all of their children over the years. Some of their grandchildren were also involved in the enterprise. Their 1953 recipes and menu were the same as what is served in the restaurant today. It remains a mystery as to where the BG loose meat sandwich recipe originated.

The current owner is Eddie Morin who worked at B & G throughout his high school and college years. After graduation, he was given the option to buy B & G, and did so on May 1, 2009.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They used to have Bee Gee Frenchees Club of the month:
Oct 2012: Bacon, Egg & Cheese
Sept 2012: Pepperoni Pizza
Aug 2012: Ham & Cheese
July 2012: S'Mores
June 2012: Pulled Pork & BBQ
May 2012: Jalapeño and Cream Cheese
April 2012: PB&J
March 2012: Reuben
Feb 2012: Apple & Bree
Jan 2012: Nutella & Banana
Dec 2011: Turkey & Cranberry (with stuffing)

Still waiting for a response to see if this is still going on.
If you had an ides for a Frenchee, you got a $10 gift card and a free Frenchee...
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

OK Ladies and Gentlemen I present to you the Banana and Nutella Frenchee:
It would have been good without a cup of their ice cream, but with it, it became a classic hit.
(Turns out the Frenchee of the month club was just too much of a problem and too expensive to continue)

Last edited by Coyote on Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

My god that looks amazing.
No posts exist for this topic
NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Post by NovakOmaha »

Ok, next time I'm in Omaha the frenchees are on me.  Forum meet at BG.  You're right, the ice cream has to take it to a whole nother level.

By the way, years ago I was at a birthday party where my friend's wife rented Petrow's whole place for the party.  That's another one.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

NovakOmaha wrote:Ok, next time I'm in Omaha the frenchees are on me.  Forum meet at BG.  You're right, the ice cream has to take it to a whole nother level.

By the way, years ago I was at a birthday party where my friend's wife rented Petrow's whole place for the party.  That's another one.
It is not just having ice cream with the Banana Nutella Frenchee, it is having THEIR HOMEMADE vanilla ice cream with it.
I mean, I am not an ice cream freak by any means... but theirs was great, so I can just imagine what their malts are like...
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Screw this, I'm going tomorrow after my first day at the new job. Not but 5 minutes from B&G, hurray!
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

This place is going to start wondering why all of these people keep showing up to ravenously try out their nutella frenchie meal haha
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That's Banana Nutella, but the Nutella as you can see oozes out and mixes in to your ice cream to make a Meg Ryan meets Harry moment. ;-)
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

I just ate Coyote.. stop making me contemplate going and eating at this place again!! It looks sooo good.. :yes:
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

guitarguy wrote:I just ate Coyote.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! He was so informative!

He will be missed.
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

It was the only way to get to that delicious sandwich.... wait.. too much? Oh well haha :lafcry:
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Tried B & G for the first time today.  The loose meat was exceptional.  Way better than any Maid Rite I have had.  For desert we had the Banana and Nutella frenchee, which was amazing.  Perfectly fried and delicious.  I am glad that you guys recommended trying B&G.  I have never even heard of it before.  I really thought they did an amazing job with the design and decor of the inside, you don't even feel like you are in a strip mall.  Definitely going to have to bring a few out of towners here sometime.
43county
Home Owners Association

Re: B & G Tasty Foods

Post by 43county »

Closing after Memorial Day Weekend.

I never really got the appeal, but it’s never good to see a beloved locally owned spot in the middle of town close its doors. Sad for sure.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

That sucks. Their burgers are tasty. Maybe they will relocate elsewhere.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I am sorry to announce that B & G Tasty Foods will be closing for good after 66 years of blissful operation. Our last day will be Memorial Day (May 27th). It has been an honor to serve Omaha the Loosest Meat in America. We have made such wonderful relationships between employees and customers that it is hard to grasp that it is coming to an end. But friendships never die!
Please stop in for one last BeeGee (or 50). Grab a bike, or a booth, or a vintage ad on your way out. Everything is for sale!
Thank You Thank You Thank You
-Eddie Morin
#AdiosLoosemeat
@ B & G Tasty Foods
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

I will miss them! I liked their loose meat sandwich.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

That is sad, I hadn't been there in a year or two, but it seemed like they had a really good following (obviously not good enough). The food always tasted good there and I really liked the atmosphere. Sad to see another local business close after so many years.
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

:( This was a sad announcement for me. I live near B & G and we try to get there regularly. I believe that a neighborhood locally-owned cafe is important. I also like their food and atmosphere! Yes, there are similar places across the city, but B & G is a part of this neighborhood. (And don't tell me how much tastes or interest in "healthy" food have changed, when you can't get into the place during busy hours!)
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I cannot believe I drove by this place for something like 50 years before knowing it was there. I never knew this place existed until I saw it on Pinpoint a few years back. Even then, I haven't made it to the place and now it is closing. Well, nothing like a little bit of urgency to get me there now. Next week when I am back in town the bucket list will be addressed.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

I made it. One item down on the bucket list. The BeeGee was indeed tasty. Might have to go back once or twice more before they close. It was fun talking to all the old timers who were there today reminiscing about all of their memories of the place and its people. I totally get where they're coming from even though this was my first visit. Sad to see Omaha lose another one. But change is constant.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
U R my Helix
Human Relations

Post by U R my Helix »

guy4omaha wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:35 pm I cannot believe I drove by this place for something like 50 years before knowing it was there. I never knew this place existed.........
Is this on about 86th & Dodge? Long thread .... no one ever says where it is at.
Busguy2010
County Board

Re: B & G Tasty Foods (7900 W Dodge Rd)

Post by Busguy2010 »

U R my Helix wrote: Wed May 01, 2019 10:58 pm
guy4omaha wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 5:35 pm I cannot believe I drove by this place for something like 50 years before knowing it was there. I never knew this place existed.........
Is this on about 86th & Dodge? Long thread .... no one ever says where it is at.
79 or 80, where Dodge breaks off.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Re: B & G Tasty Foods (7900 W Dodge Rd)

Post by guy4omaha »

79 or 80 and Dodge is about right. It is in the same strip center as Zio's and Jam's on the north side of Dodge. To be more specific it is a few doors west of Zio's.