Plank Seafood Provisions (12th and Howard)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Ben
Human Relations

Plank Seafood Provisions (12th and Howard)

Post by Ben »

Anyone know who's behind this Plank Seafood place?  I've heard it may be the Flagship restaurant group, the people behind Roja, Blue, the Blatt, etc.  Not sure if this is rumor or fact.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Ben wrote:Anyone know who's behind this Plank Seafood place?  I've heard it may be the Flagship restaurant group, the people behind Roja, Blue, the Blatt, etc.  Not sure if this is rumor or fact.
FWIW, I have heard same rumor.
Stable genius.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Has anyone heard an opening date on the new restaurant yet?  How are the apartments going, are they 100% leased yet?  this new building is a ten thousand percent improvement on the old building.  Reading some other threads on where, it sounds like this development is helping renovation spread down the block.
where the corn meets the concrete
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Currently they are installing the heating and electrical in the restaurant, but I haven't heard anything about a targeted opening date.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

Job Ad:

Plank seafood provisions (Old Market 12th & Howard)
Do you love seafood? Do you love people? If so this may be the job for you.

We're doing it again, Flagship Restaurant Group that is, Plank seafood provisions will be joining our family this May.

Flagship Restaurant Group owns and operates three Blue Sushi Sake Grills' in Omaha, NE; one in Ft. Worth, TX and one in Denver, CO. Flagship also owns and/ or operates two Roja Mexican Grills in Omaha, NE; Blatt Beer and Table and Red Lounge.

Plank is our newest concept that will offer more than just seafood. Our focus is on fresh product with high standards. Not only does that mean high standards for food, but also high standards for service.

If you have what it takes please download an application from the link provided you can reply to this posting with a resume or turn in an application at Baby Blue Sushi at 16939 Wright Plaza, Shops of Legacy on 168th and Center (please make sure you specify that you are applying for Plank and not Baby Blue). If that is a bit out of your way, please respond to this e-mail and we will try to accommodate you.

Application (yes it says Blue, until we have Plank applications, sorry!)- http://www.bluesushisakegrill.com/pdf/a ... cation.pdf

At this time we are looking for all talented individuals from hostess, servers, bartenders, server assistants, chefs, etc.

Again we are looking for employees that are dedicated to serving and delivering their best every day they work. If you find yourself finding excuses to why you should not go to work today, maybe this is not for you.

Plank will be one of Omaha's best new restaurants for 2013 and we need a team that wants to be a part of that.

The timeline right now is to be open in May. This means we are taking applications now and reviewing them. If we like what we see, we will set up an interview and reveal more information at that time.

Thanks for looking and make this day great!
Compensation: TBD, BOE, Gratuity based
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Early May.  I knew one of you guys would have the answer for me.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Plank Building Permit in the OWH Today:
1201 Howard LLC, 1205 Howard St., $400,000.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

http://www.omaha.com/apps/pbcs.dll/arti ... 399%2F1707
Flagship spokeswoman Megan Longo said the space, at 1205 Howard St., was “too good to pass up.” She said they decided on seafood, as it's an option missing in the Old Market restaurant scene.

Plank will serve American coastal fare and will aim to be modern and approachable. Flagship's executive chef Tony Gentile is creating a menu of seafood specialties that include chilled appetizers, oysters, soups, salads, sandwiches and fried seafood.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

They have a website up but not too much to it:

http://plankseafood.com/
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

"Modern and approachable".  W T F?  Gag me with a cedar plank.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Plank looks like it could open any day now.  Patio seating is up and the inside looks done.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Sounds like it will hit the ground running.  Or swimming, as it were.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

iamjacobm wrote:Plank looks like it could open any day now.  Patio seating is up and the inside looks done.
It opened tonight.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Plank looks like it could open any day now.  Patio seating is up and the inside looks done.
It opened tonight.
The menu looks pretty good, can't wait to check it out.  Anybody here get there yet?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Linkin5 wrote:The menu looks pretty good, can't wait to check it out.  Anybody here get there yet?
mgmlot93 was there last night.  He had a photo of a Wedge salad on his FB page that looked really good.

Here is his "5 Star" yelp review:
Matt on Yelp wrote:I went here expecting to be let down since these are the same owners as Blatt but I was pleasantly surprised. This place reminds me of Kansas City - the interior looks great.

Started with a cocktail and I gotta say they make a great Old Fashioned here. Next up was the wedge salad and it was THE BEST wedge salad I have ever had. For my entree I ordered oysters rockefeller off the app menu and they were outstanding. The bacon they use in the salad and the rockefeller is beyond great. My gf ordered a burger and it was mediocre. I realize this is a seafood restaurant but if you are going to put a burger on your menu please do it right and put some effort in it.

Even after the let down of the burger I still feel this is a five star place.
There is another review from last night Too:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/plank-seafood-a ... ions-omaha
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Those photos on Yelp look amazing.  Does anybody know if they go through Absolutely Fresh for their seafood or what?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Plank will have outdoor seating soon.
JDJase
Home Owners Association

Post by JDJase »

Coyote wrote:The Plank will have outdoor seating soon.
Soon? I ate there like 3 days after it opened and sat in their outdoor seating
Coyote
City Council

Plank

Post by Coyote »

Had lunch at the Plank today. Had the Lobster roll and substituted the dirty rice for the fries, topped off with an Old Rasputin

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

You've been eating good lately Coyote.. Living the dream I see..  8)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guitarguy wrote:You've been eating good lately Coyote.. Living the dream I see..  8)
Lunch is a lot cheaper than Dinners... Best to have big meals at noon!
Beer costs the same though...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

We ate there a while back and were pretty disappointed overall with the food.  The oysters were top notch, however.  Service was friendly but exceedingly disorganized.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I need to get back down there and try that lobster roll!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I would also like to try the lobster roll, but I find it very hard to eat seafood in the midwest due to the poor quality and definitely price.  When I visited Maine and even Boston for that matter, I was surprised to find that you can get a whole 1 1/4 lb lobster with coleslaw and fries for $15 or less at almost any restaurant.  In the midwest, you are lucky to get a lobster tail with a small side of rice for that price.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Yeah, but try getting a good T-Bone in Maine for a good price. I'm sure I would get tired of Lobster if I lived there, ... Maybe...
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Brad
City Council

Re: Plank Seafood Provisions (12th and Howard)

Post by Brad »

Yelp had a happy hour event last night at Plank.

I tried Mac N Cheese with Bacon and Peas
Calamari
Fried Clams

Mac N Cheese was Awesome! Calamari was really good, but after having it at 801 the other night, going back to the small rings was just not the same. As far as the fried clams, I tried the, but I still don't like clams. People that like clams loved them, but for me they are just too chewy.

Here is the Mac N Cheese I tried on the Happy Hour Menu:
RNcyanide
Planning Board

Post by RNcyanide »

Brad wrote:Yelp had a happy hour event last night at Plank.  

I tried Mac N Cheese with Bacon and Peas
Calamari
Fried Clams

Mac N Cheese was Awesome!  Calamari was really good, but after having it at 801 the other night, going back to the small rings was just not the same.  As far as the fried clams, I tried the, but I still don't like clams.  People that like clams loved them, but for me they are just too chewy.

Here is the Mac N Cheese I tried on the Happy Hour Menu:
Seafood tends to get tough when it is overcooked.
When fortune smiles on something as violent and ugly as revenge, it seems proof like no other that not only does God exist, you're doing his will.

The Bride
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Went to Plank last evening. Wasn't impressed. Ordered a bottle of wine. Then ordered the beer battered oysters for an appetizer. Finished the appetizer before the wine came. I don't think there was a single oyster in the batter. For my entree I had the Walleye Puttanesca served with creamy polenta and broccolina. The Walleye was ok(not terrific)and the polenta was just a garnish, tasty but more than two bites would have been nice. My partner had the grilled tuna. He said it was ok, but not great. The asparagus was way overcooked. Spent 120.00' Don't mind the prices if the food is worthy. Don't think we will be going back.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

The one and only time I ate there I was impressed with the friendliness of the wait staff, but unimpressed with their efficiency, and unimpressed overall with the food. It does look pretty, though.
EastCB
Library Board

Post by EastCB »

Oh,yes, the staff was friendly. But I guess I expect more when it comes to seafood. I knew I shouldn't try walleye. My grandfather had a fishing resort in Canada and I grew up on terrific walleye!!!!