Spikers

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Spikers

Post by Coyote »

I was checking out the newly 4-laned 370 into Gretna (nebugeater?) and took a wrong right turn and ran into this place: Sandlot Volleyball
I haven't played in years but this place looked interesting. Anyone know about tis place (nebugeater?)
guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Post by guitarguy »

Good thing its a Volleyball place haha.. if it were a bar I think anyone woman would have serious misgivings about going there :lafcry:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

guitarguy wrote:Good thing its a Volleyball place haha.. if it were a bar I think anyone woman would have serious misgivings about going there :lafcry:
Sports bar...
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

The food isn't on par with the majority of local sports bars.  They live off the volleyball courts and the business it brings.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

We have have done league play at Digz since I moved here, that place is awesome.  Will have to check this place out to see how it is.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:I was checking out the newly 4-laned 370 into Gretna (nebugeater?) and took a wrong right turn and ran into this place: Sandlot Volleyball
I haven't played in years but this place looked interesting. Anyone know about tis place (nebugeater?)

iamjacobm wrote:The food isn't on par with the majority of local sports bars.  They live off the volleyball courts and the business it brings.

Spikers is usually very busy and a decent family hangout for the sand volleyball and for a Place to watch sports and have a beer and something to eat.

http://www.spikersvolleyball.com/

iamjacobm have you eaten there in the last year or so?  I would agree that the food was average at best and probably not that good for the most part up utill a year ago or so.  Probably a bit longer.  In fact we hardly ever went their.  A little over a year ago it changed owners, may have been a little longer than that.  The guy that bought and run it came from the restaurant world and as I understand it he had been a manger at Texas Roadhouse since that chain came to Omaha.  Since the new owners the food has improved greatly in my opinion and I have heard other say the same.  Burger offering is really good.  Pizza is better but still has some room to improve IMO and overall things are a big step up.  People go their just to eat now.  Also, I understand it, once his non complete expires the menu will expand to include many more offerings.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

I knew that I had read some of the details I have heard talk of somewhere.  Thought it was in the Local Gretna paper but guess not.  Did a little Google search and found this

Looks like the new owners will have their one year anv this October.

Story from January 2013
http://www.owhstore.com/article/2013011 ... 69987/1123

The Cortons, who took ownership of the sports bar and grill on Husker Drive in October, said that they aim to continue to provide the excellent service found at Spikers while creating a new reputation for being family friendly, community driven and a great place to be.

Jake worked for national restaurant chain Texas Roadhouse for 12 years, serving as a partner in the 156th an Dodge streets location for the past four years.

“We want to reinforce that this is a place you can come for a good dining experience,” Jake said.

He said that whether it be a family dinner, Little League baseball banquet, or just a place to watch a playoff game, Spikers is ready and waiting to serve.

Another change is the launch of a new menu, which Jake said would be coming within the following weeks.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Interesting
Found while searching

In Lincoln there is a place doing the same thing called Spikes

http://spikesbbg.com/
Varsity
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Varsity »

Funny that this topic was brought up. I currently work for a start up out of Omaha called Thunder Beach. It was founded by the man who originally built Digz and the volleyball at Schmidley's as well as 8 other complexes in NE, KS, and GA. Spikes in Lincoln is a beautiful complex that is absolutely killing it right now. That one was started by the founders past partner.

A decent sized complex (5-10 courts) can bring in 250-500 players each night spring through fall. League registrations from the teams as well as clinics and tournament revenues are high in comparison to the build out costs. And the food and beverage sales to all those people can be huge.

Thunder Beach is operating as an add on profit center to existing businesses that serve food and beverage and have adjacent land or parking that they do not use or make money from. We will build out, manage, and operate the sand volleyball while the business benefits from food and beverages to the customers without having to learn a new industry, hire new people, or invest capital to build it out. It's a very unique concept that to me has a TON of upside. We offer company store and franchise options.

We are currently building two complexes in the Kansas City area, with deals in Topeka, Wichita, Atlanta, and Denver progressing along. The goal is to have at least 5 complexes open this spring and 10-15 each year after that nation wide. We actually have about 80 businesses that have requested our program and met our preliminary requirements. Unfortunately, as a start up, getting the financing to build a bunch of them is ridiculously difficult, especially those further from Omaha. Anyone with any tips on that I'd love to see a message from  :;):

Anyways, if anyone is interested check us out: http://thunderbeachusa.com/

All the location sites look the same but here's one I've been putting together, not quite done but getting there. http://thunderbeachaarons.com/[/url]
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Re: Spikers

Post by ChadJK »