Razzy's

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Razzy's

Post by Coyote »

Had lunch at Razzy's today after all the comments about it. I didn't realize that it has been here for over 35 years, maybe even closer to 50! Had their famous Some-A on Marbled Rye (from Rotella's) with their Cajun Sausage and Chicken (gumbo) Soup. It was great, maybe even better than great. Can't believe it has been so long since I have returned, especially since it is a local couple's place. You all have to try this place out. A perfect dive deli for sure!

guitarguy
Parks & Recreation

Re: Razzy's

Post by guitarguy »

Razzy's has always been my wildcard lunch.. if i can't think of anywhere I'd really like to go to I go to Razzy's never been disappointed once!
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I haven't been there in a while, but it still looks the same! I need to get back up there.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Razzy's Deli closed.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

ChadJK wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:52 am Razzy's Deli closed.
Oh, thats too bad.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I read on Next-door that the husband/father owner passed away last October. Covid didn't help either
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bbinks wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:40 pm I read on Next-door that the husband/father owner passed away last October. Covid didn't help either
That really is too bad..

When I worked in that area of town years ago, I used to really enjoy that place. Great deli sandwiches...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Re: Razzy'

Post by Coyote »

Sorry to hear about the family, it was one of my favorite places, had I known...
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

That's a real big bummer. That was a staple of my childhood.
No posts exist for this topic
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Yet, the Subway in the old KFC building drones on. With so many better chain stores to pick from, how does Subway survive?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bbinks wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:01 pm Yet, the Subway in the old KFC building drones on. With so many better chain stores to pick from, how does Subway survive?
Huge national chain resources/revenue..there are many small population communities whose only option for a take out sub is Subway..and Subway is typically everywhere a localized state or regional chain isn’t..

That’s basically a significant part of how Subway survives...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:14 pm
bbinks wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:01 pm Yet, the Subway in the old KFC building drones on. With so many better chain stores to pick from, how does Subway survive?
Huge national chain resources/revenue..there are many small population communities whose only option for a take out sub is Subway..and Subway is typically everywhere a localized state or regional chain isn’t..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Used to be a time when your options were Subway, Blimpie, Little King, or Schlotsky. I think Omaha is down to one Blimpie. Schlotsky was a disappointment my last time there. Wasn't what I remember.

I can't recall the name of the sub place off 168th & center. Been gone for years. Larger place i think
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

bbinks wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:28 pm
Omaha Cowboy wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:14 pm

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Used to be a time when your options were Subway, Blimpie, Little King, or Schlotsky. I think Omaha is down to one Blimpie. Schlotsky was a disappointment my last time there. Wasn't what I remember.

I can't recall the name of the sub place off 168th & center. Been gone for years. Larger place i think
Omaha is a 1 million population metro.. Basically every national sub sandwich chain is here.. Including Blimpies, Jersey Mike’s, Firehouse Subs etc etc..

You name it, they’re pretty much all here.. But in a small city like a York or Beatrice Nebraska, Subway is likely only game in town...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

bbinks wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:28 pm I can't recall the name of the sub place off 168th & center. Been gone for years. Larger place i think
There was a Planet Sub near there circa 2007, but it closed. Planet Sub made a second attempt near 84th & Center a few years ago but it failed too.

We don't opt for sandwiches often, but when we do...

My wife loves Blimpie, so we trek over to the one in Millard periodically. I think there's one at the airport too.

I never cared for Schlotzsky's bread. It tastes like I'm eating a deli sandwich on a giant English muffin. It does however make for some tasty "pizzas." I like their BBQ Chicken & Jalapeno pizza.

I detest Subway, but they thrive for the reasons Omaha Cowboy mentioned. Every tiny town has two places to eat: A local bar/grill and a Subway. Also, they're a very cheap franchise to buy into. You can open a stripmall Subway for next to nothing. I used to have stats handy on their closure rate, but they're probably outdated by now anyway (IIRC, a shocking number of Subways fail every year but an equally shocking number open every year).

I've only tried it once, but I did like Penn Station. A huge plus is they make their own fries from scratch.

We also like Firehouse, but when they closed their location in Shops of Legacy it stopped being a convenient dining option for us.

I never got a chance to try Razzy's. :(
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

ChadJK wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:05 am I never cared for Schlotzsky's bread. It tastes like I'm eating a deli sandwich on a giant English muffin.
And that's a negative attribute???

When I first moved back to Omaha in the 80s, a friend recommended Schlotzsky's. I tried it and was hooked, mainly because of the bread.

As the saying goes, that's why there's chocolate and vanilla!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

garyomaha wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:19 pm
ChadJK wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:05 am I never cared for Schlotzsky's bread. It tastes like I'm eating a deli sandwich on a giant English muffin.
And that's a negative attribute???

When I first moved back to Omaha in the 80s, a friend recommended Schlotzsky's. I tried it and was hooked, mainly because of the bread.

As the saying goes, that's why there's chocolate and vanilla!
I feel the same way when I hear someone say they hate La Casa pizza, lol..

In any case, it is too bad we lost Razzy’s. Coyote called it a true “dive deli” and that is what it was. A gem of a place that was located on N 90th St for years. I regret today not going back there for even a weekend deli lunch grab the past 10 or so years.. Now it’s an opportunity lost...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
jgomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by jgomaha »

Just passed Razzy's and something seems to be going on here. There was someone on the roof and there seemed to be new construction by the entrance. The Razzy's pylon sign was still in standing, are they making a return?
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

jgomaha wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:04 pm Just passed Razzy's and something seems to be going on here. There was someone on the roof and there seemed to be new construction by the entrance. The Razzy's pylon sign was still in standing, are they making a return?
Unlikely that Razzys makes a return. The kids werent interested in taking over the family business.
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

jgomaha wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 2:04 pm Just passed Razzy's and something seems to be going on here. There was someone on the roof and there seemed to be new construction by the entrance. The Razzy's pylon sign was still in standing, are they making a return?
I suspect that the sign is still there so whoever takes over the building can make use of it. If I understand Omaha zoning rules, if the sign was just taken down, it could not be replaced by a similar one.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Survey Says....... "Grateful Green"

Property Address: 2615 N 90 ST
Parcel ID (PIN) - 2429260002
Permits BLD-23-01021: REMODEL OF EXISTING SPACE
Project Description: Grateful Green
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

Brad wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:11 pm Survey Says....... "Grateful Green"

Wonderful - I’m assuming this is another dispensary? Between these and car washes you’ll be able to be high in a clean car all over town!
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

djc311 wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2023 9:15 pm
Brad wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2023 9:11 pm Survey Says....... "Grateful Green"

Wonderful - I’m assuming this is another dispensary? Between these and car washes you’ll be able to be high in a clean car all over town!
Afraid so.

https://gratefulgreendispensary.com/
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

10 years ago the Payday Advance places were the bane of Omaha. It seems the CBD dispensories and car washes have now taken their place.
At some point everyone will be driving a spotlessly clean car and feeling no pain, so maybe the pendulum will swing back away from these businesses into lord knows what else.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nativeomahan wrote: Wed Sep 20, 2023 3:38 pm 10 years ago the Payday Advance places were the bane of Omaha. It seems the CBD dispensories and car washes have now taken their place.
At some point everyone will be driving a spotlessly clean car and feeling no pain, so maybe the pendulum will swing back away from these businesses into lord knows what else.
YOu left out the short lifespan of the frozen yogurt shops.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

My biggest annoyance with the dispensaries is how obnoxious they make them look. There's more lumens pouring out of the average dispensary/CBD shop than an NFL stadium during a night game. Get in and get out or you'll get a sunburn. Also, don't look directly at it or that pot leaf will be burned into your retina for a week.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I know they are legal, and it’s a no harm, no foul issue for me. But yeah, some of the shops are very annoying to look at. The one that took over the Bank of the West location near 123rd and West Center comes specifically to mind.