Ethnic Sandwich Shop

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Ethnic Sandwich Shop

Post by Coyote »

There must be some more space in here that I didn't see, but this looks like it is just an order from the counter place, with maybe just room enough for 5 people to stand, waiting for their order. The Parking Lot was full at 11:30, maybe with people eating there. I read about their Meatball Sandwich so I had to try one, and was not disappointed. Not too much sauce, which was good, because with this weather, it took me a while to get to a place to eat this puppy. I had this place pegged as an 'Ethnic' restaurant, but it is more of an Italian place with a lot of Pasta selections. I'd like to try a few of their other sandwiches, so I hope to return, when the weather is better...

NovakOmaha
Planning Board

Re: Ethnic Sandwich Shop

Post by NovakOmaha »

Coyote wrote:There must be some more space in here that I didn't see, but this looks like it is just an order from the counter place, with maybe just room enough for 5 people to stand, waiting for their order. The Parking Lot was full at 11:30, maybe with people eating there. I read about their Meatball Sandwich so I had to try one, and was not disappointed. Not too much sauce, which was good, because with this weather, it took me a while to get to a place to eat this puppy. I had this place pegged as an 'Ethnic' restaurant, but it is more of an Italian place with a lot of Pasta selections. I'd like to try a few of their other sandwiches, so I hope to return, when the weather is better...

Next time you get the meatball sandwich ask for extra sauce on the side. It's worth it.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Didn't you see the tables out front? They were even in your first picture!
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
BIGO88
Home Owners Association

Post by BIGO88 »

They announced today that they are closing.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

I didn't realize they changed owners in 2018. I stopped in a couple of times after they first opened, but it was way out of the way for me. Food was good.
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

BIGO88 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 1:58 pm They announced today that they are closing.
Darn, I like that place!

The post mentioned some things they have been dealing with the last 4 years. I checked the property history and apparently they sold the property to some CB entity called JCEM Properties in 2018, 4 years ago. I hope they are able to overcome whatever challenge they've been dealing with. Good luck to the owners.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ethnic Sandwich Shop

The ever-shifting cosmos have hit us where it really hurts this time, as Ethnic Sandwich Shop announced their impending closure via Facebook this week. The simply delicious sandwich shop will offer a final service next Friday, July 29th. A gander at the Menu indicates that if you eat there twice a day until closure, you’ll have time to sample everything the shop offers, and you might just not have to live with the regret of having missed out.
beachbum
New to the Neighborhood

Post by beachbum »

Wow, another great old-school Italian restaurant bites the dust...what a shame. Back in the day when i was working at the UP Shops, a bunch of guys would have someone run out and bring back a large order for lunch, almost weekly. I well remember the Italian sausage, meatball sandwiches, and spaghetti and meatballs with the best garlic bread! The sandwich rolls and garlic bread were always fresh, from Orsi's bakery. They were especially good on those cold winter days/nights at the shops! The last time I returned to Omaha, in 2008, the first place I stopped for lunch was Ethnic Sandwich shop.

It's funny, the one thing I really miss after living there for 45 years (and living here for the past 20 plus), is the great, and consistent, food from the family built, ethnic restaurants all over town. One by one, they are pretty much all gone now- Bohemian Cafe, Caniglia's, Mr C's, and Piccolo Pete's were all favorites. Even Mount Fuji and King Fongs are gone now I believe, and Farmer Brown's in Waterloo...where I had my FIRST job at about 14 years old, I heard the Steinglines sold out, so I imagine new owners have made so-called "improvements" to it's menu. No reason for me to come back to the Big O now.