Rivera's Mexican Restaurant

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Brad
City Council

Rivera's Mexican Restaurant

Post by Brad »

A while back we had a discussion about mexican food. I taked about Rivera's Mexican Restaurant on 120 and Blondo. I stoped in to see some friends of mine, Tracy and Jesus Rivera(owners), and Jesus told me he started a website. I highly recomend eating here, great food.

Here is his website
http://www.riverasmf.com

Here is the revies by the Omaha World Hearold
http://www.riverasmf.com/Omaha_com.htm

He also got a 4.4 out of 5 by the Union Pacific critics. However the UP people were upset that they didn't get chips and salsa, but they ordered nachos for an appetizer and they don't serve chips and salsa when you get nachos for an appetizer because nachos have chips and salsa in them, but they will give them to you if you ask.
MrDayTrader
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MrDayTrader »

Sounds and looks good. I will have to try it, since I live just to the north of there. We definitely have quite a selection of restaurants in our neighborhood now.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Welcome to the forum DayTrader. :D
MrDayTrader
New to the Neighborhood

Post by MrDayTrader »

Why..thank you Mr. Huston! I have been reading posts since late 2004, and have never registered until now. Did you organize and develop this entire forum?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Sounds and looks good. I will have to try it, since I live just to the north of there. We definitely have quite a selection of restaurants in our neighborhood now.
Your are not kidding, 120th and Blondo has become, the quick casual restaurant capitol.
Why..thank you Mr. Huston! I have been reading posts since late 2004, and have never registered until now. Did you organize and develop this entire forum?
Get this, he started this "small" little website to keep his family out of town informed of whats going on in Omaha, look what happened.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

****EDITED*****

Good reason not to automaticly log on each visit!
Last edited by Brad on Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
TechnicalDisaster
Parks & Recreation

Post by TechnicalDisaster »

Interesting website. It just so happens that I am in the market to expand my portfolio. If Jesus would like some professional photography done for his store and website, I would love to do it for next to nothing. (Maybe for a few free meals) Just send me a private text if you think he would be interested.
~Chris
"This is America.  It is my God given right to be loudly opinionated on issues I am completely ignorant of."
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bump!

Still My FAVORITE Mexican Restaurant in Omaha!  Had the Carne Asada last night!  It was awesome!
Carne Asada – grilled skirt steak marinade with our special recipe and served with pico de gallo, corn or flour tortillas $11.95
My other favorite items include:
Enchiladas Poblanas – sautéed oven-roasted shredded chicken mixed with green onions finished with our house adobo enchilada sauce and melted cheese $8.55
Enchiladas with Mole Sauce – sautéed oven-roasted shredded chicken finished with our homemade mole sauce and melted cheese $8.55
Robbie’s Lobster Enchiladas – lobster meat mixed with green onions lightly sautéed and finished with lobster sauce and melted cheese $8.95

Fresh Guacamole Dip – made fresh daily. fresh avocados hand blended with onions, fresh garlic, Chile jalapeños and a touch of mexican seasoning $6.50
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

We will have to get up there.  The wife and I have found really good mexican food lacking in Omaha.  Decent places are frequent but have yet to find one we really love.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

By no means is Rivera's the best mexican place in Omaha, but it is my favorite West O place for mexican. The tacos al pastor are greasy but damn good and the shrimp alambres are solid too.  I'd recommend it to anyone who lives out west, but doesn't feel like driving to South Omaha.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

cdub wrote:We will have to get up there.  The wife and I have found really good mexican food lacking in Omaha.  Decent places are frequent but have yet to find one we really love.

Some of the best places are ones that aren't flashy.  La Mesa is decent, but i like Alvarado's better.  The best place i have ever had was in south O, but the name escapes me since it's been a few years.
Go Cubs Go
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

thenewguy wrote:
cdub wrote:We will have to get up there.  The wife and I have found really good mexican food lacking in Omaha.  Decent places are frequent but have yet to find one we really love.

Some of the best places are ones that aren't flashy.  La Mesa is decent, but i like Alvarado's better.  The best place i have ever had was in south O, but the name escapes me since it's been a few years.
El alamo or something like that, on S 24th is quite good, and there are a couple others we dont mind but still trying to find one we like as well as our favorites in Des Moines.  I can not for the life of me comprehend how LaMesa is the most popular one year after year.
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

thenewguy wrote:
La Mesa is decent, but i like Alvarado's better.  
La Mesa is |expletive| and Alvarados isn't much better. Do not take this advice if you are looking for good Mexican in Omaha. Go to south 24th street, randomly take your pick of a place and it will be 25x better than either of these.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I grew up in New Mexico, and a good choice for me is La Fonda at 125th and Center.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

Sounds like as great place.  I like LaFonada, but that's tex-mex in my book.  Combining a taco and a burrito for their famous tacoritos screams tex-mex.  Items such as lobster, poblanas, shrimp, mole sound authentic to me.  I have been to some authentic Mexican places where you think you are at a seafood restaurant.
where the corn meets the concrete
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Great... One of my Favorite Restaurants will be even harder to get in to!

Review: Rivera's packs in diners, flavor

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100521/E ... ers-flavor
Nichole Aksamit WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Chef-owner Jesus Rivera serves dishes he grew up with in Puebla, Mexico, as well as some items more common along Mexico's coasts. His bar boasts more than 80 tequilas, and his menu sports lots of unusual-for-Omaha Mexican fare: Shrimp Alambres (bacon-wrapped shrimp with a spiced cheese-and-bread crumb stuffing), chiles en nogada (stuffed peppers with a walnut cream sauce and a pomegranate reduction), some dishes cooked in banana leaves and several items featuring seafood (lobster, crab, shrimp, mahi-mahi).

The sauces on our visits were a particular delight.

The sunset-colored house salsa seemed to fire every happy neuron in my brain. Its peppery core bobbed on waves of fresh, fruity, floral, nutty, sweet and smoky flavors. I sought the most spoon-shaped chips and contemplated using my straw. The chef later explained that the salsa gets its pretty orange color not from some unusual pepper, but from grilled tomatoes and slow-roasted jalapeños and onions that he blends, while they're still hot, with spices, citrus juices and cilantro. It's served with thin-as-parchment corn chips after you place an order, and the first batch is free.

Two sauces atop the chile en nogada were interesting and delicious. The poblano chile pepper had been stuffed with mild and pepper-laced Monterey Jack cheeses, lightly battered and fried, blanketed with a white walnut-cream sauce and lashed with a reduction of spiced pomegranate juice and red wine. The effect was an archaeological dig of flavor: The sweet-tart pomegranate sauce (with a hint of clove) cut through the sweet-and-nutty walnut cream (with flashes of cinnamon and nutmeg), which gave way to the crisp coating and mild-but-definitely-there kick of poblano pepper, which unearthed the gooey white cheese, which had me hunting for more pomegranate and a bigger fork.

Jesus Rivera told me later that the dish originated in Puebla to celebrate Mexican Independence Day. (Its red, white and green colors reflect those of the Mexican flag.) He said he serves an even more traditional version each September -- stuffed with a picadillo of spiced ground pork, pineapple and pine nuts instead of cheeses.

When you hear “Mexican,” you might not think “lobster.” But the lobster-and-shrimp-stuffed Enchiladas Acapulco I tried were exquisite, topped with a cream sauce made heavenly with sweet lobster paste, fresh cilantro, and sauteed onion, garlic and serrano pepper. The dish was garnished with cotija cheese, fine slices of radish, shreds of lettuce and a drizzle of herbed sour cream.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

I appreciate the innovative and unique menu here but I had two complaints.  One, my premium margarita had a weird funny taste.  Two, flour tortillas for enchiladas?  Is that authentic?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Rivera's has new t-shirts that say "Mexican food so authentic, its almost illegal".
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Brad wrote:Rivera's has new t-shirts that say "Mexican food so authentic, its almost illegal".

wish they had new hours, every time I try to go there, they're closed  :evil:
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

When are you trying to go?

Lunch hours: Monday – Saturday, 11 am – 2 pm
Dinner hours: Monday – Saturday, 5 pm – To close
Sunday: Closed
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Brad wrote:When are you trying to go?

Lunch hours: Monday – Saturday, 11 am – 2 pm
Dinner hours: Monday – Saturday, 5 pm – To close
Sunday: Closed
between 2 and 5, I always forget they close about when lunch starts for me.
nebport5
Planning Board

Post by nebport5 »

Strike two! (there won't be a "three").

Boy do I dislike this place.  Food greasy, portions small, value poor (they nickel and dime you on everything.).  Authentic? perhaps, but I don't care.  It's certainly is unique.  Thick orange "salsa" with no flavor?  What's the point of having good tequila, if the only margaritas you can make are what comes out of a machine?  Afterward, I was so hungry and disappointed I immediately left for La Mesa.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I just got back from the newly remodeled Rivera's.  

They completely remodeled the place including new tables and chairs.  It looks great!  The food was a great two.  I tried something new and got the "Outrageous Wrap".  I can put down some food and it filled me up.

On a side note, get there early for lunch.  By 11:30-11:40 the place was full and people were waiting.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Rivera's Mexican Restaurant

Post by Coyote »

I just had lunch at Rivera's Mexican Food and was surprised. First of all it was a lot smaller than I had imagined. It had maybe 9 tables and 6 booths with about 9 chairs at the bar. I ordered the Enchiladas Ranchero's (Skirt Steak, Chorizo, in a green sauce, topped with lettuce, radishes and a sour cream sauce). This cuisine is what Jesus brought from Puebla, southern/central Mexican cuisine. I can not remember if I ever had this style of Mexican before and thought at first it was a little odd, but I really liked it.

I arrived at around 1:00 and the lunch crowd was still in full steam mode. only a few places left to sit. There were two tables ahead of me, but the mea was out within 20 minutes, and Jesus was the cook... Great salsa with the chips to start, not your regular salsa, I should have asked what the ingredients were... I will have to read a little more about Puebla Cuisine before going back to try something else...

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

I love this place more than any Mexican food I have had in Omaha, and the owners and wait staff are really awesome people as well.
No posts exist for this topic
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Jesus told me last time I was in there that one of the two neighbors was moving out and he was expanding. Originally he was moving to a different location but after he was able to get more room, he diced to stay.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Brad wrote:Jesus told me last time I was in there that one of the two neighbors was moving out and he was expanding.  Originally he was moving to a different location but after he was able to get more room, he diced to stay.

Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Who's leaving? The groomer that has been there for 25+ years or the cleaners?
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

My favorite Mexican restaurant in all of Omaha.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

bbinks wrote:Who's leaving?   The groomer that has been there for 25+ years or the cleaners?
I think it was the cleaner, but I can't remember for sure. It was last summer/fall when he told me.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Rivera's is finally beginning a $100k remodel project.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Good. This is my favorite Mexican place that I can actually easily get to.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Never been there. I have read multiple online reviews alternately describing how good the food is and how rude the owners are. I personally prefer South Omaha for my Mexican meals.
lmdramos
Library Board

Post by lmdramos »

Their owners are some of the nicest people I've met. I come in there every few months when I'm in Omaha and they still remember my name and always make a point to stop by the table and say hi. You can never trust people's review until you go in and try it yourself. The food is so so good! People gave Pitch Pizza terrible reviews when it opened and now look how popular it is.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Rivera's started their expansion:
https://www.facebook.com/riverasomaha" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

So glad they're going to do this. They need the space, the place is always packed...and rightfully so. One of the best Mexican restaraunts I have ever been to.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I was there once and wasn't overly impressed. I lived 18 years in New Mexico. Not the authenticity I was hoping for.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I like the food. One thing to me, I could care less where food is authentic. I just want it to taste good and I think Rivera's is really good.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Well, I lived in Northern New Mexico for only 15 years, but know that 'Authentic' Santa Fe was much different than Southern New Mexican food... Flour tortillas, blue corn, green chili, smothering red chile sauces, potatoes, black beans.... Heck, when you talk about 'Authentic Mexican' which region of the country are you referring to? Northern Mexico, Oaxaca, Yucatán, Mexico City, Western Mexico, Veracruz, Chiapas?
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

I've dined at Mexican restaurants all over New Mexico and Colorado.

Sorry, Rivera's just does not do it for me. Their red sauce had no heat whatsoever. Bland to my tongue.