Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Coyote
City Council

Jobbers Canyon brewery (CLOSED)

Post by Coyote »

Good news for the Old Market - Jobbers Canyon is still a go:
Plan seeks to restore building hit by fire

Under a redevelopment plan going before the Omaha Planning Board, an Old Market building that was gutted by fire would be restored and turned into a restaurant after all.

In April, a cutting torch caused a fire at 416 S. 12th St., hampering plans to turn the building into a restaurant and brewpub.

On Wednesday, the Planning Board will review the redevelopment plan, which is necessary for the restaurant to receive a property tax incentive. A Planning Department memo says the plans involve restoring the entire building, from the basement to the third floor, creating dining areas, a bar, patio seating and a banquet room.

The restaurant would be called Jobbers Canyon.

Tom Simmons, a managing member of the project, said Monday that he wasn't ready to publicly describe plans for the building. He said developers are still working on insurance matters related to the fire and need to take a recommendation on the plans to shareholders.

The Planning Department memo says the design would restore the building's architectural integrity.

Bob Peters, city planning director, said the developers have requested $450,000 in tax-increment financing, $50,000 of which would go toward public improvements such as old-fashioned street lighting.

The total project is estimated to cost $4.85 million.

Peters said he is confident that the developers' commitment and expertise will move the plans forward quickly to completion.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

That's great news!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Jobbers Canyon brewery (CLOSED)

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

Today Monday Sept.26th. I think it would be considered a soft opening, not much fanfare. I went inside, very sharp!! Typical brew pub food.

On a side note you can now go into the front of the Holland center as the ticket office is now open.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

I'm so going to be hitting up Jobbers Canyon a ton when I'm back. It's great on so many levels (name referencing Omaha's historic past, creating something new [i.e beer], and great location choice...plus they chose to rebuild instead of taking the money and running).
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Awesome..

Thank you for the info!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
icejammer
County Board

Post by icejammer »

Looked like they were pretty well ready to go last Friday night. The place was all lit up, sign out front, staff was busy inside looking like they were getting ready for people to start walking in the door. Might have had an invitation-only opening that night - couldn't tell from across the street.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yeah, I was so impressed to see them getting close to opening a couple weeks ago. Like Bob said, it makes me so happy that they reconstructed that building after the fire, and it looks great. I'll definitely be checking it out soon.

Here are a few pictures from a couple weeks ago.

"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Anyone know if there is a web site for this place? If there is I have had no luck finding it.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

nebugeater wrote:Anyone know if there is a web site for this place? If there is I have had no luck finding it.
http://www.jobberscanyon.com was registered last year by Charles Cretsinger.

He along with Chris Myers are listed as employment contacts:
http://www.mccneb.edu/culinary/joboppor ... sp?Theme=2

So it will be coming soon I woud imagine.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Has anyone been here yet? What are your thoughts?
nebraska dreamin'
New to the Neighborhood

Post by nebraska dreamin' »

i went there a couple of weeks ago. The atmosphere is great. first floor is completely nonsmoking, second floor has smoking bar and I thing a poole table, but separate dining area that was supposed to be N/S as well. Third floor is party room. They had four different microbrews. I tried the wheat beer and the dark beer (not stout). Both were good. The food was ok. I got the chicken fried chicken dinner and wasn't bowled over. It was just decent food slightly more upscale than bar food. I think others might have enjoyed their dishes better.

My favorite thing was the decor on the first floor. The dinning area had these mesh panels mounted along the wall and ceiling. Most had old pictures of Omaha (at least I think they were omaha) superimposed on them. I thought they added a neat element to the place.
futrecndvlpr
Home Owners Association

Post by futrecndvlpr »

I have had lunch there a couple times. Food is pretty darn good and the price is pretty darn good. I think it is the new favorite of my "Friday Lunch Crew".
Ice Cream
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Ice Cream »

I'd be happy to try this place. I wish them luck too. It's nice to see another brewpub open, but I wonder if everyone is going to compare them to Upstream. The Upstream has set the bar really high. Their beer is probably better than most places, but maybe more importantly, the food and atmosphere is far above what you find at most brewpubs around the country.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

My wife and I aren't beer drinkers... but we thought the food and atmosphere at Jobber's Canyon was very good.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

Ice Cream wrote:It's nice to see another brewpub open, but I wonder if everyone is going to compare them to Upstream. The Upstream has set the bar really high. Their beer is probably better than most places, but maybe more importantly, the food and atmosphere is far above what you find at most brewpubs around the country.
I think Omaha will have plenty of support for a 2nd (that's right, only 2) local brewery! C'mon, even Lincoln has had two for years; between Lazlo's and Crane River!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Thanks for the update! Going to have to get there...

But you knoooowwwww it is WAAAYYY down town!! :wink:

(joke, if you couldn't get that)

On another note, since I have not found an active web site yet: Is the atmosphere and menu one that would be acceptable for a meal with couple of kids with for an afternoon / early evening bite to eat?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

In short, yes.

My only complaint about the atmosphere was the smoking section was the entire first floor and you had to walk up two flights of stairs at the back of the building to get to a non-smoking area that was right next to the pool tables that were smoking (the section, not the tables).

I don't think they had everything on the walls yet, so the atmosphere as a whole was a little sparse. The food was pretty good. I use M's Pub as the measuring stick for new places downtown, and it wasn't at that level, but I don't think it was trying to be.

I had a NY Strip salad, which was the size of my Civic. The sesame vinagrette was exceptional, if the salad was a bit uneventful. The stout I had from the brew pub was fantastic and worth the trip alone.

Again, shows great promise and once they get the opening jitters out of the way, it will definitely be a plus to DTO.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Big E wrote: I had a NY Strip salad, which was the size of my Civic.

-Big E
I'll be having lunch at Jobber's Canyon in a couple of weeks..If their NY Strip salad is anywhere near as good as M's Pub, I'll be ordering it :) ..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I haven't had M's strip salad, but JC's was pretty plain. Not bad, just plain. And HUGE. I felt like I ate the whole garden when I quit, and never did see the bottom of my plate.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Sounds like it's worth a try :) ..

Oh and DO try the NY Strip salad at M's Pub..Magnifico!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
skyscraperman
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skyscraperman »

Yeah my granfather owns it :D
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Jobbers beer-cheese soup is phenomenal! :P
15-17, 26, 32
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

I went to Jobbers Canyon about 2 weeks ago or so. Kind of an odd layout as far as how to get upstairs but overall, I liked the design/atmosphere. I ate the Chicken parmesan marinara sandwich, very good. Also, I quite enjoyed a couple pints of the pale ale. The bill was about like going to any Chilis, Applebees, etc. I give it my official "go eat there, you'll like it" recommendation. :)
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

Finally got to visit Jobbers Canyon. It's so nice to see a burnt out vacant building come to such a fine use. Their beer is very good. I didn't really have the time to sample them all, but my first impression is that their beer is better than the upstream's. I'll have to return sometime to try the food and the rest of the beer.
AlmostinOmaha
Home Owners Association

Post by AlmostinOmaha »

My husband went for lunch and said the food was good. A new friend of mine said that the chocolate bread pudding is delicious!!! I can't wait to try it!
psl25201
Home Owners Association

Post by psl25201 »

I have noticed that Jobbers is never very busy. I have many friends that work there and say that it isn't as busy as most of the other downtown restaurants. It is a bit off the beaten path down the way from the main Old Market area so it's exposure is not as great. They really need some stores and what not around that area to make it more appealing.

I hope this place stays open. Any of you that might work downtown know if it is actually more busy than I have noticed?
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

They have a really tiny sign... they should invest some money in some flashy neon signage.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I don’t work down town but every time I went down there it was quite busy, huh that’s weird.
15-17, 26, 32
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

They host the pre and post game show for Creighton basketball, the place sounds packed on the radio, but thats sound not visuals i guess.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

psl25201 wrote:I have noticed that Jobbers is never very busy. I have many friends that work there and say that it isn't as busy as most of the other downtown restaurants.
I don't know about this..From my personal observation, I ate lunch there on a Monday 3 weeks ago, and stayed at the restaurant for over 2 hours..Once the noon hour came up, the place was pretty full with customers..Again this is my own observation..The food was good..I enjoyed my burger..

I too hope the place stays open. But its a pretty new place..It just needs to carve out is swath of loyal 'regulars'..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
CountOfMC
Library Board

Post by CountOfMC »

Sounds like a good meet up spot.
God created alcohol to keep the Irish from taking over the world!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

heck yeah, we all can throw back a few then hit up the slides.
15-17, 26, 32
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Let this be a post to squash any rumors that it isn't getting much business. I went there last night with a few friends to get some drinks (around 8pm or so) and the wait was 45 minutes to an hour (even for the bar!).

We ended up going to the Goofy Foot instead.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Or we can throw back a few then go over to Up Stream and throw back some more, it will be like an "Omaha Beer Tour". Then we can hitch a ride from our server(2005 fourm meet)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Good times. Go ahead and fill in the blanks. That crazy Iowan looks a little to happy about the riding situation.

DTO
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I have to adjust my rating on Jobber's Canyon now. We were in there this weekend, and discovered that the entire first floor is non-smoking, including the bar. I'm not sure there's any other place in the Old Market where you can sit at the bar and not have smoke around you, except V Mertz, which isn't exactly a grab a pint kind of place. Thank you, Jobber's Canyon.

THAT being said, it feels FAR too much like a chain in the 'burbs for me to ever get comfortable with it as my neighborhood bar. AND, on Friday night when we specifically asked for the non-smoking section, we were seated upstairs immediately next to the pool tables and the smoking section. The whole floor smells like burning poo. Not only is that a bad business practice, it's a violation of the NE Clean Indoor Air Act.

[/rant]

-Big E
Stable genius.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

Oh come on now... did they drag you to the smoking section kicking and screaming? :D Sounds to me like they didn't really know how important it was for you to sit in non-smoking.

I did think the decor seemed a little overly simplified/contemporary, with their metallic jobbers canyon pictures. I'd suggest they throw up some more memorabilia items as a start. That's one of my complaints with inPlay as well... the walls just seem too bare. Seems simple enough to address, and I think it would make a big difference.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I guess when I say "non-smoking" section, that should imply "Don't sit me next to the bar and pool tables where there are 70 people smoking". Maybe I'm silly that way. :)

-Big E
Stable genius.
eomaha
County Board

Post by eomaha »

I'm guessing they heard you wrong, or interpreted you to mean... "Non-smoking if it's available now."

When someone takes me to the smoking section... I say, "NO, I'm not sitting here... I want to sit in the non-smoking section even if it means waiting". Maybe I'm silly THAT way. :D

Or maybe we're just both wise |expletive|. ;)