New to the Neighborhood

Nebraska Brewing Company

Post by el gato »

Nebraska Brewing Company

http://www.nebraskabrewingco.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

That's a fairly generic link.  The is no substance behind anything on the page?

On the other hand... You can never have too many breweries in town!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I don't think that this will be an Omaha brewery. The only reference I get to this is a brewery in Sunnyvale, CA.
el gato
New to the Neighborhood

Post by el gato »

I'm pretty sure it is in Omaha. I was, ahem, eavesdropping on a conversation at a table next me at lunch. The bits I heard were that they were looking for a location, the web site was being built now and they were planning on opening late summer/early fall. I found the site because one of the conversationists told the other to "go check it out" and rattled off the URL.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Interesting. I will have to check my sources in the industry.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

I just emailed them.  They have an email address link on the website.  I will let you know if they respond.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

on a side note in my research it appears that Big Sky Brewing will soon be entering into the Omaha market.  They are from Missoula, MT.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

midtown charlie wrote:on a side note in my research it appears that Big Sky Brewing will soon be entering into the Omaha market.  They are from Missoula, MT.
That would be cool. I have been to their brewery in Missoula and found their brews to be very nice. Missoula is a great town.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I just received confirmation that Flatland Brewing Company is coming to the Omaha area. Two sites have fallen through and they are now looking at one just outside the city limits. There will be four Ales that will anchor their list at this time - A Pale Ale, an Amber, a Bavarian Wheat, and an IPA.  They will also brew a number of seasonals and they are considering putting a mead on tap.  This is excellent news for Omaha - another Brewpub added to our collection. Thanks for the tip el gato!

I will move this from the rumor list.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Just outside the city limits? Ug, that probably means they'll try locating in the over saturated West Center corridor. More breweries is good, but not 16 miles from my house. I guess I'll have to suffer and keep walking home from the Old Market. :)
scraper
Home Owners Association

Post by scraper »

Or West Maple - city limits end at about 140th on Maple.[/right]
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Ever thing it might be Bellevue, Papillion,, La Vista or somthing like that.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Also - Big Sky is not building a brewpub in Omaha but they are looking into distributing in Nebraska starting sometime this year.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Yes, I meant that Big Sky was now distributing their beers in Nebraska.  Great Divide from Colorado just started as well.  They are only going to Beertopia though.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

You know where a GREAT location for a Brewery would be... The old Dundee Hardware!
redfield
Library Board

Post by redfield »

they are now looking at one just outside the city limits.

Wow, at Omaha's cab rates, it would probably cost me 100 bucks to get home.  

As much as I love breweries, I will probably never set foot in this place if they set up shop way out west.  Then again, I have nothing to complain about, I can walk to Jobber's Canyon and Upstream...
Marci
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Marci »

:leek: I'd have to agree with Brad...Dundee would be a great place to have one..and there is parking and it's a great mid-town area.
Eos
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Eos »

Judging from the website, they must not be to technologically savvy, as there isn't much functionality.  But they did pay close attention to detail, since they actually put an India Elephant on the India Pale Ale T-Shirt, and didn't make the sophomore mistake of using an African elephant.  Ya gotta like attention to detail in a good brew, but they probably need a bit more CO2 in the Wheat, since the head is rather flat.  Looks like this one was running at around 8 psi...better pump her up to about 13 psi and see if that helps out any.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I would have thought by now there would be more information on that site. I didn't check out the details on their IPA eos - I will have to look again. Welcome to the forum. Sounds like you know your beer.
Eos
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Eos »

I only know beer by the taste.  Of course they tell me that there's a lot that goes into affecting the taste, or is that effecting the taste...?  Know... definitely affecting!  Darn English, it always gives me fits.  Wish I would have learned it as a first language and not as a second.
Kus Umak
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

My sources now tell me that Flatland is in negotiations with the city of Plattsmouth for a site and licensing there.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

midtown charlie wrote:In my opinion, the best locations in Omaha would be Aksarben, Mofo Village...
:lol: Nothing would make me happier than Mofo Village sticking forever.

-Big E
Stable genius.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

It has a nice ring to it doesn't it?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I have heard from a reliable source that the Plattsmouth location also fell through for them and now they have their sights set on Shadow Lake. Look for an announcement soon.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Coyote wrote:I have heard from a reliable source that the Plattsmouth location also fell through for them and now they have their sights set on Shadow Lake. Look for an announcement soon.
The Shadow Lake Center is poised to be one of the metro's best, in terms of size and atmosphere, but compared with other centers like Village Point, Oakview, and the Westroads area few restaurants have announced for the project.  The ones that have are pretty run of the mill.  This one would add some pizazz to the center.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I am thrilled to have any additional options in that area but 'some pizazz' would definitely be nice!  About any brew pub there would leave me tickled.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

It is now official - according to the owner the Flatland Brewing Company is in lease negotiations with the Shadow Lake Town Center. It turns out that that there is a Flatlander’s Restaurant and Brewery in Chicago and so the owners are now going to use the name Nebraska Brewing Company. They plan to have a mid to late fall opening.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I hope it works out for them.  The more brew pubs the better!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Another beer hits Omaha's market - Left Hand Brewing Co. from Colorado.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

....and if you are willing to drive over to the Council Bluffs HyVee there are host of other beers not available in Nebraska.  

Lost Coast - CA
North Coast - CA
Avery - CO
Fort Collins - CO
Two Brothers - IL
Three Floyds - IN
Abita - LA
Sea Dog - ME
Shipyard - ME
Bell - MI
August Schell - MN
Matt - NY
Capital - WI
Joseph Huber - WI
Point - WI
Sprecher - WI

This does not include their tremendous selection of Belgians and other European beers.  

There are probably others but these were the ones that I remember seeing there.  I would say it easily has the 2nd best selection of beer in the metro and maybe the first depending on what you are looking for.  Beertopia being the other.  They definitely have a better handle on the East Coast beers.  Gotta love being a two state metro.  

[/u]
Asten
Human Relations

Post by Asten »

midtown charlie wrote:....and if you are willing to drive over to the Council Bluffs HyVee there are host of other beers not available in Nebraska.  

Lost Coast - CA
North Coast - CA
Avery - CO
Fort Collins - CO
Two Brothers - IL
Three Floyds - IN
Abita - LA
Sea Dog - ME
Shipyard - ME
Bell - MI
August Schell - MN
Matt - NY
Capital - WI
Joseph Huber - WI
Point - WI
Sprecher - WI
I know a few of these from being available around Chicago... but I will say that Bell's summer beer, Oberon, is excellent.  It used to be my replacement for not having Boulevard, but mostly due to the craptacular distribution laws of the not-so-great state of Illinois, it's no longer available here.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Nebraska Brewing opens on Saturday.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

midtown charlie wrote:Nebraska Brewing opens on Saturday.
Really?  That is awesome.  I guess it has been a few weeks since I have been on that side of SLTC.  [Side note:  I always wondered what Hy-Vee was doing in these plans, but I find myself visiting Hy-Vee more often than anything else.  As such I haven't even seen Nebraska Brewing going up.]
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I am really looking forward to the Brewery opening.  Our office has already voted to hold our office Christmas luncheon there.

Check out their menu here: http://www.nebraskabrewingco.com/menu.pdf

This is what the Gastronomic Fight Club ( http://www.gastronomicfightclub.com/ ) has to say about the new restaurant:

I confirmed with Paul Kavulak that The Nebraska Brewing Company will open to the public this Saturday. Their opening brews will include the Nut Brown Ale, Belgian Wit, Hefeweizen (EOS), IPA, and an Irish Red. The Cardinal Pale Ale will follow within the week (they didn’t want to rush it off of the dry hopping that it is going through) A Holiday Ale will be offered right around Thanksgiving and they’ve got their Brewer’s Choice roadmap all planned. You can read a little more about these beers, the food they'll be serving and get additional news updates through their website .
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I was over at Shadow Lake today for lunch, and wandered over to the new brewery to see how things were shaping up.  People were coming and going from the restaurant, so I went inside.  It looked 95% finished, and the large plasma TVs were up and running.  The large beer vats were in place and partially filled.  I talked to a Kim, who told me that tomorrow they are having a large VIP dinner, and then they will officially open to the public on Saturday Nov. 17.  She said I was welcome to sit down and sample some of the foods, free of charge, and "you can even have lunch on us" as they were testing recipes.  Doh!  I had just eaten lunch.

The interior is nice enough.  A large bar against one wall, with 3 or 4 large TVs.  Butterscotch and earth tones predominate.  There is a second seating level, atop a steel frame in the middle of the restaurant.  I would have gone up to look around but the staircase was not yet in place!

All in all, I hope they succeed.  There is really no place like this in Sarpy County to eat right now.  Kim said the sweet potato fries are awesome, so that in itself is reason enough to go back.
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

We had a happy hour from work there tonight.  Very nice place, reminiscent of a cross between Lazlo's and the Upstream.  Almost more like the old Crane River in Lincoln.  Great tasting beer.  I especially liked the EOS Wheat.  It was packed from wall to wall by 5:15.
Fnord Explorer
Home Owners Association

Post by Fnord Explorer »

I wish Aksarben Brewing Co. would open back up.  And someplace other than the old atrocious location they had before.

Beer = good
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

:evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil: Hops shortage sends beer prices higher :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:
Omaha World Herald wrote:The price of India Pale Ale, the most popular beer from Thunderhead Brewery in Kearney, Neb., has jumped from $3.50 a pint to $6. Third Stone Brown, the No. 1 brew of Empyrean Brewing in Lincoln, will increase in price from between $3.50 and $3.80 a pint, depending on the restaurant, to from $4 to $4.50.

Driving the price increases is the most severe shortage of hops in decades. Hops are a minor but necessary ingredient in beer. As a result, 10 percent price increases for craft beer will be the minimum, said Paul Kavulak of Nebraska Brewing Co. in Papillion, and bigger increases are likely.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nebraska Brewing Company is all about the beer

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2 ... d=10293571
The food? Hit and miss.

The service? Friendly and informed.

The feel? Manly, approachable and a little noisy on a Saturday night.

But it's the beer — the glorious, brewed-right-there beer — at Nebraska Brewing Company that makes it worth the drive to Shadow Lake Towne Center.

The 5-month-old brewpub — the eventual result of co-owner Paul Kavulak's 15-year home-brewing hobby — serves five core beers and two rotating special brews.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I talked to a guy from Nebraska Brewing Company today at the Sarpy County Expo.  Today is the 2 year anniversary and there will be haveing specials all night tonight including $2 pints.