Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

midtown charlie
Human Relations

The Waiting Room - Benson

Post by midtown charlie »

The Waiting Room opens Friday

by Tim McMahan

A mere month after taking possession of the building that used to house Marnie’s Place, D Dubs and the legendary Liftticket Lounge, The Waiting Room in the heart of Benson, is ready for business.

Its owners — Jim Johnson and Marc Leibowitz — are ready for business as well.
Since getting the keys from the landlord, a visibly worn but excited Johnson had spent 12 hours a day, every day, cleaning, painting and repairing the facility, from building a gorgeous new bar to upgrading the stage to remodeling the bathrooms. And when we visited last Thursday at the venue, he wasn’t through yet. There was still more work to be done. The Pepsi guy was scheduled to show up the next morning; more tables and chairs were on the way; a collection of posters from past One Percent Productions shows (what the duo is known for) had yet to be hung and the booze hadn’t arrived yet (nor had their liquor license).

But the most important element — the venue’s monster stage, sound and lighting system — was in place and ready for liftoff. Using an iPod plugged into the soundboard, Johnson and Leibowitz ran a brief test of the system, playing tracks by Red House Painters, The Replacements and Frontier Trust, finally settling on Beck’s Sea Change. Even with one of the large stage speakers still yet to be hooked up, the sound was pristine — huge and full-bodied — and very loud.

“It’ll be even louder when the bands are playing,” Leibowitz said. “It’s basically a souped-up version of Sokol Underground’s PA in a room half the size. It has the same speakers, but the amps are better. The monitors are the same, the board is a lot better and there are twice as many stage lights.”

Here is a link to the full article at The Reader

http://www.thereader.com/lazyi.php?suba ... =&ucat=25&
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

The Faint played a "secret" show there on sunday night.

Supposedly the sound is fantastic.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I also heard the sound is fantastic, at least compared to Sokol.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

BalloonAssassin
New to the Neighborhood

The Waiting Room

Post by BalloonAssassin »

Greetings. The wife and I are heading up from KC to see a show at the Waiting Room on Saturday night. Haven't been to your fair city in over a decade when I saw the great Trip Shakespeare at the Ranch Bowl (awesome place).

Not leaving till Saturday early afternoon. I was hoping for some info & suggestions.

Can anyone tell me what to expect about the venue? Good for shows? Can I get a BlVD Pale Ale there? :D

We are staying the night at the Fairfield Inn & Suites in DTO.  I was hoping to hear about any kind of places to eat that may be unique to Omaha. Nothing fancy just a place to grab a quick bite or to go to after the show.  Somewhere between the venue & hotel would be great, but not a must.

Wish we could spend more time in the Omaha, but we have to high-tail it back to KC for Father's Day. This was all kind of last minute as a Father's Day gift to myself. Next time for sure!

Here's who we are seeing: http://www.myspace.com/frightenedrabbit  Should be a great show.

TIA!
creightonotter
New to the Neighborhood

Post by creightonotter »

Sound-wise, Waiting Room is a GREAT venue. Tucked nicely into the Benson neighborhood, too.

Nice job scoring a hotel room during the first weekend of the CWS.

You'll probably jump on Cuming Street and head west from the hotel toward Benson.

If you want something low-key and casual, you could hit up Sgt. Peffer's.

Menu here: http://www.sgtpeffers.com/

Directions from 16th and Cuming to Peffers to Waiting Room here:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&g ... 90122&z=13
BalloonAssassin
New to the Neighborhood

creightonotter wrote:Sound-wise, Waiting Room is a GREAT venue. Tucked nicely into the Benson neighborhood, too.

Nice job scoring a hotel room during the first weekend of the CWS.
Sounds good. Thanks for the eats suggestion!

You know I was just reading about the CWS in the local rag here and am too surprised we got a room. I tried the Marriott first, but it was sold out.  We used points to get the room at the Fairfield Inn, so maybe they hold some rooms. I think I will call up there just to be sure the confirmation is good.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

There's really not that much between downtown and Benson for good eats.  In Benson you have Espana (tapas) which is fantastic, but spendy if you're hungry or fat like me.

Otherwise, the Old Market downtown is just crawling with a huge selection of local, unique places.  You really can't go wrong, but it's not the easiest walk from the Fairfield.

BTW, in the name of progress, Omaha bulldozed the Ranch Bowl and threw up a WalMart.

-Big E
Stable genius.
BalloonAssassin
New to the Neighborhood

Big E wrote:There's really not that much between downtown and Benson for good eats.  In Benson you have Espana (tapas) which is fantastic, but spendy if you're hungry or fat like me.

Otherwise, the Old Market downtown is just crawling with a huge selection of local, unique places.  You really can't go wrong, but it's not the easiest walk from the Fairfield.

BTW, in the name of progress, Omaha bulldozed the Ranch Bowl and threw up a WalMart.

-Big E
Thanks for the suggestions.  My wife loves doing tapas, so that may score me some points!

RIP Ranch Bowl.... jeebus, I didn't know I could hate Walmart more than I already do. Boo to whoever approved it too.
BalloonAssassin
New to the Neighborhood

Just wanted to report that we had a great, though short, visit in Omaha last weekend.

Some highlights:
- the drive up I29 is a piece of cake and so much nicer than the eyesore that is I70 when going to STL.  Couldn't believe how quick it seemed.
- seeing Rosenblatt from the highway when driving into the city.  Very cool, sad to hear it is going away. We stayed at the "new" Fairfield Inn & Suites, which was kind of surrounded by vacant lots and small industrial buildings. Is this where the new stadium going in?
- Old Market..obviously was bustling with the CWS fans though we did score some rock star parking. Didn't have much time to enjoy it properly, but did have a drink at the bar in Stokes. Food looked pretty good there.
- got lost thanks to Google maps <insert shaking fist> trying to get to Benson.  Got to about 24th & Tracey and turned around to get better directions.  On the way back had the pleasure of being intercepted by a local african-american motorcyle club.  Basically got passed on both sides of a two-way city street (24th st) by screaming bikes. I think my wife was going to have a heart attack.  :lol:  They pulled off shortly to what looked like a big party awaiting them. Tent, band, etc..
- Espana - not bad. 1/2 the tapas were great, 1/2 were just okay. Sangrias were good. Service was friendly enough, but could have been more attentive. Would probably go back again though.
- The Waiting Room - Nice club. Super bar staff. Place is the perfect size and I liked how it was laid out. Would be even better if it was smoke-free, but that's just a personal preference.

Really look forward to coming back next time for a weekend stay to enjoy the Zoo with my daughter.

Take care!
BA
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Glad you had a great trip, but from the new fairfield in (across the street from the new ballpark), you could have taking Cuming until it curved to the north on the NW radial and taken that all the way to maple(the street that the waiting room is on) and you would have been there in 5 or 10 min.

Come back soon!
DonutStopLover
Home Owners Association

Post by DonutStopLover »

so what show did you see??

i love waiting room.  Usually see a couple of shows a month there.
BalloonAssassin
New to the Neighborhood

Brad wrote:Glad you had a great trip, but from the new fairfield in (across the street from the new ballpark), you could have taking Cuming until it curved to the north on the NW radial and taken that all the way to maple(the street that the waiting room is on) and you would have been there in 5 or 10 min.

Come back soon!
Yeah, that's what we eventually did.  Google had us taking 18th, but it was a blocked off completed within a couple blocks. It was a time a GPS thingy would have really come in handy, but overall, it was no biggie.
BalloonAssassin
New to the Neighborhood

DonutStopLover wrote:so what show did you see??

Frightened Rabbit & Oxford Collapse.. both were epic, but their sets were shortened due to the club letting the first of four bands start later because of the light crowd initially.  Having a closing time of 1am is kind of bummer.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

BalloonAssassin wrote:
DonutStopLover wrote:so what show did you see??

Frightened Rabbit & Oxford Collapse.. both were epic, but their sets were shortened due to the club letting the first of four bands start later because of the light crowd initially.  Having a closing time of 1am is kind of bummer.
Yeah, 1 am is a drag. I think most of us to expect that within the next 5 years, the 1 am closing time will be pushed back to 2 or 3.

As far as the smoking goes, well a smoking ban just went into effect on tuesday...but I know a lot of local bands chidingly call that place The Smoking Room because it is so smokey. The other great venue of that size in town (The Slowdown) has been smoke free since it opened, so in comparison, the Waiting Room seems doubly as smokey.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

A friend of mine went to the re-opening of the waiting room last night.  They completely remodeled in 18 days!

He said it is an "A" list club now.  He said it will be competing with the slowdown.
lnkS
Home Owners Association

Post by lnkS »

Tim McMahan, Lazy-i wrote: Among the noticeable improvements:

The speakers have been removed from the stage and hung (or "flown") from the ceiling, with one new additional speaker added to each array.

A wall that divided the two rooms is gone, replaced with a wrought-iron railing, an area that Leibowitz said will now be one of the best seats in the house.

The soundboard has been moved from the north wall to the center of the room. New "tall tables" will be placed along that wall.

New triangle-truss lighting was installed a few months prior to the demolition, along with new "moving" lights, which will be controlled by a second lighting control board.

Coming in a couple months will be a new curtain that not only will cover the front of the stage, but the entire west wall of the club. "It's no longer going to seem like we just added a stage to the corner of the room," Leibowitz said.
[center]Image[/center]

Link: Waiting Room Remodel
JPenny
Home Owners Association

Post by JPenny »

This place is gonna look great! It use to be pretty run down but i thought that's what made it a cool atmosphere. At least its not getting town down for a Walmart or cvs... ha
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

That's awesome!  Excited to get back there for a show again.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Another Round of Upgrades at the Waiting Room:

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130117/G ... w-upgrades

Sounds like a premier venue!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Cool :thumb:
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

It would be tough to find two better venues at their size than Waiting Room and Slowdown in any city in the country.  Sokol is another story.

Also I think that story can completely squash the rumor that was out that Waiting Room might close.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

I hope they kick up the lumens with those new LEDs. Shooting at faster than 1/100 would be great!
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: The Waiting Room - Benson

Post by iamjacobm »

Waiting Room updated their bar.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Hit the waiting room last night for Ten Club, a Pearl Jam tribute band:
image.jpg
image.jpg (247.56 KiB) Viewed 3418 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

A few good brews on tap here:
image.jpg
image.jpg (240 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Little Brazil with Las Cruxes

The Waiting Room Lounge
Fri, Aug 26
9:00pm

The two consistent members of Little Brazil, Landon Hedges and Dan Maxwell, have been chasing the same thrill since they were five years old, back when Dan’s older brothers started a punk band, with practice space in the Maxwell basement. Hook, line, and sinker. Landon and Dan had no choice but to spend the rest of their pre-pubescent years crouched on the basement steps, not wearing earplugs. It didn’t matter if the music was good or bad or too loud to tell. J. Mascis and D. Boon and Paul Westerberg were alive in that basement, cranked through budget amplifiers and out of tune.

Fast forward three decades and Landon and Dan are still making music together. Little Brazil is their most accomplished and longest running project – 20 years. Over that time the band has built an impressive resume. They’ve released four full lengths and done the national tours, both headlining and as support.

Fellow members, Shawn Cox on lead guitar & Austin Elsberry on drums complete the band’s lineup, lending their mark to the new songs. The new lineup’s writing process developed quickly, and before long, demos progressed into booking dates for basic tracking. Taking their time to track offered a space for new opportunities and brought forward the idea of added instrumentation. The upcoming record titled, “Just Leave,” is a 10-track exploration of life-long relationships, internal perspective & personal growth. Just Leave releases Friday, June 3, 2022 on Max Trax Records.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

I'm glad to hear they're doing well, and still around. Little Brazil was a favorite Omaha band of mine 15 years ago; good licks and overall good songwriting. Making a living at music is tough these days, everyone wants it for free.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Dinosaur Jr. with Ryley Walker
The Waiting Room Lounge

Sun, Sep 25
8:00pm

Here is Sweep It Into Space, the fifth new studio album cut by Dinosaur Jr.. during the 13th year of their rebirth. Originally scheduled for issue in mid 2020, this record’s temporal trajectory was thwarted by the coming of the Plague. But it would take more than a mere Plague to tamp down the exquisite fury of this trio when they are fully dialed-in. And Sweep It Into Space is a masterpiece of zoned dialing.

In the decades since the release of Dinosaur Jr.’s original triptych of foundational albums, it has become clear that their sound — once hailed as a sort of almost-tamed noise — is/was/always-has-been fully functioning pop music of a sort. The subsequent generations of bands who grew up breathing Dino’s fumes managed to tinker around with the edges of their original post-hardcore song-forms enough for listeners to realize there had always been melodies at the center of everything they did. What Dinosaur Jr.. produces is nothing but a beautiful new version of the rock continuum — riff, power, beat and longing, created with an eye on the infinite future.

Recorded, as usual, at Amherst’s Biquiteen, the sessions for Sweep It Into Spacebegan in the late Autumn of 2019, following a West Coast/South East tour. The only extra musician used this time with Kurt Vile.

J Mascis says, “Kurt played little lead things, like 12 string one at the beginning of ‘I Ran Away.’ Then I ended up just mimicking a few things he’d done. I was listening to a lot of Thin Lizzy, so I was trying to get some of that dueling twin lead sound. (laughs)”

“But the recording session was pretty well finished by the time things really hit the fan. So I just ended up doing more things by myself. Like the mini digital mellotron on ‘Take It Back.’ Originally I’d thought I’d have Ken Mauri (who has done keyboard work for Dino in the past) come in and play piano. But when the Lock Down happened in March, that meant I was on my own. But it was cool.”

Indeed, Sweep It Into Space is a very cool album. As is typical, Lou Barlow writes and sings two of the album’s dozen tunes and Murph’s pure-Flinstonian drumming drives the record like a go cart from heck. Lou’s songs here are as elegant as always. “Garden” is a mid-paced ballad with genteel guitar filigree giving it a ’60 Brit feel in spots. And the album’s closer, “You Wonder,” is a strangely excellent answer to the question — “How would Blue Oyster Cult handle a country tune?”

J’s tracks flow and flower in the different directions he often follows. Some are guitar howlers, like “I Met the Stones,” with a string sound midway between Hendrix and Asheton. Some are power ballads, like “And Me,” its lyrics atomized in a manner invented by Mascis, then famously borrowed by Kurt Cobain. And there are anomalies, like “Take It Back,” which starts with a blue-beat rhythm putting one in mind of Keith Richards’ Jamaican explorations (at least for a little bit.)

But there are very few moments where you wouldn’t know you were hearing Dinosaur Jr.. in blindfolded needle drop. They have a signature sound as sure as the Stooges or Sonic Youth or Discharge ever did. They continue to expand their personal universe with Sweep It Into Space, without ever losing their central core.

So if you ever do find yourself swept into space (hey, who knows?), I just hope these tunes are on your playlist.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Where is that article from? There is no link, source, credit to the author, anything....
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Brad wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 8:26 pm Where is that article from? There is no link, source, credit to the author, anything....
https://waitingroomlounge.com/event/dinosaur-jr-2/
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I saw Dinosaur Jr at the Waiting Room back in 2012 (can’t believe it’s been 10 years, lol)..

It was a great show. No reason to believe this weekend’s show won’t be the same…

Ciao..LiO…Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nice Enough Ent Presents
Four Winds Music and Art Festival
with Alyeska, Faith Freeman, C10, Public Figure, Waiting for Parry, Jay Influential, Popularity Contest, Yung Rico Chillz, Blandford, and more
August 4

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Omaha's Waiting Room Lounge held the 15th annual Frostival Saturday.