The Tavern (formerly Old Market Tavern - 10th & Jackson)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Ben
Human Relations

The Tavern (formerly Old Market Tavern - 10th & Jackson)

Post by Ben »

Old Market Tavern (10th & Jackson)

I was reading the new issue of "The Encounter", that Old Market magazine, and they were doing a profile on the Windsor building (Windsor Sq Apts, Fringes, Soul Desires).  In the article, it mentions a forthcoming pub.  Does anyone know anything about this?  I'd assume it'll go in the old Cappa Gino's coffeehouse space.

Post by Guest »

The new pub should open this month.  I believe it is called "The Old Market Tavern"
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Great!
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

You are both correct!  It is called The Old Market Tavern" and it is going in the old CappaGinos space, and it is scheduled to open later this month.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Unless this place is trying to do a "soft opening" they've got to be sorely disappointed with the foot traffic to their bar.   The location doesn't lend itself to "just walking by", as there aren't any other nightspots on the block.  I purposefully walked past on my way to and from Nomad this weekend, and both times there were less than 10 people (and that's a generous count) in the bar.  

I sure hope their business plan includes some sort of advertising budget, as they've got to get the word out that they're now open....  It looks like a nice place, so I'd hate to see it fail, but without creating a buzz about itself, it seems destined for that direction.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

We stopped in last night and really liked the place.  Nice low key atmosphere and the prices aren't too bad.  As for the amount of business, it was fairly steady but not packed but of course, it was a Sunday evening.  They had some delays with their license so I don't think they have advertised much yet.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

On a similar note but with a different establishment, has anyone heard how the Urban Winery Co is doing at 11th and Jones. Are they open and are they catching much business? The 11th and Jones location seems to be a little out of the way as well. I hope it works out for both.
My old signature got too old. So old it was getting almost as old me as me. Yeah, it was up there in years.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Was in there Tuesday night. Really nice place.  Slow service but she did make up for it with her STRONG drinks.  In my glass I had about 2/3 Seagram's 7 and 1/3 coke for $4.25
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Old Market Tavern getting a makeover and a new name

http://www.omaha.com/article/20130905/L ... a-new-name
Cara Pesek World-Herald staff writer wrote:The Old Market Tavern has new owners and is in the process of getting a makeover.

David Kerr and Dave Haverkamp recently bought the bar at 514 S. 10th St., and they're currently updating the interior, adding both historical architectural elements and modern fixtures. They're planning a grand reopening for Saturday, Sept. 14.

They're also tweaking the bar's name, calling it simply The Tavern.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: The Tavern (formerly Old Market Tavern - 10th & Jackson)

Post by iamjacobm »

They put in a nice little patio area.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nice makeover for this corner, anyone been here yet, since the new owners?
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

No, but I watched them build the patio. Pretty sure the owners built it by themselves. Looks very nice.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

That looks very nice.
Omaha_Gabe
Human Relations

Post by Omaha_Gabe »

We have been there about 5 times. We really enjoy it - the owners are really nice!
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Are they using the patio as a smoking area?

Greg