Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Maria Sangria (11th and Harney)

Post by OmahaChef »

I am putting this in the rumors section for now, since I am not quite sure what is going on at this point.  This is the former Parrots/Safari Bar/Varsity Club, etc. space on 11th between Farnam and Harney.

A few weeks ago I saw people hauling stuff out of the space, and a week ago I saw people hauling stuff into the space.  Paper has now gone up over all the windows, and there is definitely construction inside, as you can rather easily see between the gaps in the paper.  Don't know what is happening, but there is definitely activity in the space,
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I don't know why that space can never seem to keep tenants.
DTO
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

DTO Luv wrote:I don't know why that space can never seem to keep tenants.
I don't know, either, other than it is something of a fishbowl atmosphere with the huge windows.  But it could be a dynamite location for just the right restaurant or bar.  Parking is an issue, of course, but no worse than for anyone else in the Market.
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

nativeomahan wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:I don't know why that space can never seem to keep tenants.
I don't know, either, other than it is something of a fishbowl atmosphere with the huge windows.  But it could be a dynamite location for just the right restaurant or bar.  Parking is an issue, of course, but no worse than for anyone else in the Market.
It is a bit of a chopped up space but if organized right it can be a great location.  I park in the landmark garage and see security often (advantage to using the garage) and when I asked them about the activity they didn't know anything.  Time will tell.  It would be great to see something in this space and the old Garden Cafe space as well.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

nativeomahan wrote:Parking is an issue, of course, but no worse than for anyone else in the Market.

Actually with the ped bridge and all the parking along the mall there parking is probably better there than in the heart of the market.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Cool hopefully this will be something really cool and will stick around. Have previous failures been to really high rent you think? Or just bad management/business practices (free drinks for all my buddies and hot chicks!!). :lol:

Man the Old Market is blowin up with new places.

Recently new or coming soon.

This rumor plus....

Nomad
Myth
Sam and Louies
Old Market Tavern
Urban Wine Co.

I'm probably forgetting some too.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

the1wags wrote:I'm probably forgetting some too.
Stokes
The mystery jLofts tenant(s?) :mrgreen:

-Big E
Stable genius.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

A friend of mine knows one of the investors in this project.  The guy lives in one of the penthouses in the Ford Lofts building.  The only additional detail I've heard is that its supposed to be open by July.  I'll see if I can have him dig for some more information....
wineomaha
New to the Neighborhood

Post by wineomaha »

Really I think past business haven't failed there because of location, style of space or high rent but the type of business. About everything that has failed there was somewhat of a hochy mamma bar. Basically adding good looking girls with testosterone equals fights in the streets. Its a neat space with the three levels so I hope someone brings it back to life. I also noticed that there isn't a liquor license app in motion with the Nebraska Liquor Control Commission for anything at that space, yet.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Work continues on this, but at an amazingly slow pace.  I never see workers there from day to day, but if you walk by about once every two weeks, you notice a bit of progress.  Some windows have been replaced, the bar is stripped down to the framing, all the mirrors on the walls have been removed, the second floor has been gutted down to the construction support metal.  The carpeting is gone, etc. etc. etc.  Looks like it may be a race with House of Lee to see who can take the longest to open a new business.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Another month and work continues inside this place.  A lot of activity takes place at night, and some of the floor of the upper level has been cut out.  There is construction going on till 10 or 11:00 some nights.  Whatever it is, it is getting to be more than a cosmetic makeover.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

A rare Sunday off, so I took a look inside.  They put up new paper at the windows, but there is still some spots where you can see inside.  The entire second level loft has been cut back, and now ends at the back wall of the first floor bar, which opens up the narrow space there quite a bit.
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Another month goes by, and work here continues.  There have been some major changes to the inside, and workmen are there during the day now.  No liqour permit notice in the window yet.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I work in that same complex but never get down to that end of the buidling to see what's going on.

Looking back a few posts it looks like Stokes won't be going into the jLofts afterall.
DTO
j4nu
Home Owners Association

Post by j4nu »

On the way home tonight I noticed they've posted a pending liqueur license sign for "Club Zodiac".  They have been working some very long hours here and from what I can see through the windows it appears they are doing a very nice job with it.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Welcome to Club Anything - the next ultra hip ultra modern upscale downtown professional urbanite hot spot that will start with $14 mixed drinks and quickly devolve into a $1 shot night shznit hole!

Taking applications for the first three parking lot post 1 AM shooting victims now!

I sure hope I'm wrong, though...

-Big E
Stable genius.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Sweet! I'm there. ;) As long as the place isn't Nomad wanna be and tell me I'm scum for wanting a draft beer. |expletive| Nomad. (end rant) :lol:
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

But it's that attitude that's kept Nomad from degenerating into "club shiznit".

Post by Guest »

yes, the new club will be called 'Zodiac'...owned and operated by the folks that run 415.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Any word on when it might open?  I'd check it out.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Any word on when it might open?  I'd check it out.
From peeking through the windows, I'd say they've got at least a month's work left to do before opening, if not longer (I'd bet longer, given the speed at which they've been working).  They've still got to put the countertop on the new bar, do all of the decorations/lighting, etc.  I'd be pleasantly surprised if its open by Thanksgiving...

Its not that there's a ton to do, its just that this place seems to be someone's weekend project - a guy or 2 when they can spare people from other projects.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Cool.  Thanks for that update.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

any of you down-towners hear anything updated on this?
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

Not too much new.  The liquor license winds it way through the city government process, and one or two guys work on it during the day, and several people work on it at night.  It's making progress, but like Ben said, it will still be several weeks before this would be open.  Since the liquor license takes a while to get all the approvals in line, it will probably be a month until they open, I would think.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

i went there once when it was the safari bar, way back when...  it wasn't a bad place, but having a gf at the time, it was more enjoyable for my buddies who were looking for single girls.  I'd love to see an ESPN Zone open up, even though i'm sure that KC would get one before us (amongst other major cities).  I was in chicago in september, and we went there but it was PACKED (4 hour wait for food...), but the whole decor was awesome!  With the CWS in town, and the possibility of a downtown stadium, that may have been a great location to put one in **wishful thinking**  We'll see how this turns out, though
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

The original ESPN Zone was in my back yard in Baltimore.  I wouldn't wish their food, service or prices on anyone.

Well, maybe suburbanites.

-Big E
Stable genius.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I went to the one in Baltimore as well.  It was kind of fun before O's games.  I've had good experiences at the one in Vegas as well as the one in DC.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Old Market signs point to new club
Omaha World Herald wrote:The astrology themed Club Zodiac nightclub is scheduled to open in late November at 302 S. 11th St. Various bars had operated at the 11th and Farnam Streets site in recent years, including Varsity Sports Café, Safari Bar and the Freaky Tiki Dance Café. The last business closed in 2004.

Club Zodiac will feature live DJs and dancing Thursdays through Sundays and possibly weeknights, said Basilios Fountas, who will manage the club with business partner Bob Feller. The bar plans to be open from 11 a.m. to 1 a.m. seven days a week. The partners also are considering several vendors who would sublease the restaurant portion to serve food daily until 7 p.m. or 8 p.m., Fountas said. He said he didn't know what type of food the restaurant would serve because it will depend on which vendor they select.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Bob Feller...  like Omaha-native MLB HOF pitcher Bob Feller?

-Big E
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:Bob Feller...  like Omaha-native MLB HOF pitcher Bob Feller?

-Big E
That the same thing I thought.  Its probably a little too far from VanMeter, Iowa for him...
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:
Big E wrote:Bob Feller...  like Omaha-native MLB HOF pitcher Bob Feller?

-Big E
That the same thing I thought.  Its probably a little too far from VanMeter, Iowa for him...
Having re-read the article, I think the 2007 DUI mentioned would have made more headlines had it been THE Bob Feller.

-Big E
Stable genius.
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Club Zodiac

Post by stabone99 »

Does anyone know when this club will be opening?
Coyote
City Council

Re: Club Zodiac

Post by Coyote »

stabone99 wrote:Does anyone know when this club will be opening?
Club Zodiac

According the news in this previous thread - it was supposed to open in late November.
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Re: Club Zodiac

Post by stabone99 »

Coyote wrote:
stabone99 wrote:Does anyone know when this club will be opening?
Club Zodiac

According the news in this previous thread - it was supposed to open in late November.
Thanks, I just was just curious if it was going to be open for New Year's Eve this year.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

When I looked in the windows last Sunday, they looked to be making great progress, it might be? They had their "we want a liquor permit" sign in the window.

Its not on the next city council agenda so if they don't get it on the 18th I would say no.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Brad wrote:When I looked in the windows last Sunday, they looked to be making great progress, it might be? They had their "we want a liquor permit" sign in the window.

Its not on the next city council agenda so if they don't get it on the 18th I would say no.

I think it may have been approved already.  I think I remember seeing something in the 10/30 minutes about their application.
stabone99
Home Owners Association

Post by stabone99 »

I came across an add on myspace for Club Zodiak.  It says the grand opening is New Year's Eve.  I haven't seen anything otherwise.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Zodiac nightclub opening in Old Market
Omaha World Herald wrote:Zodiac, a new restaurant-nightclub, will open in about three weeks in the former Safari Bar near 11th and Farnam Streets. With 6,830 square feet and three levels, Zodiac will be one of the largest dance spots in Omaha. The Max and Club Nico are the city's most popular large-scale dance clubs with multiple rooms. Zodiac will open for lunch early next month, serving pasta, pizza and paninis daily until 7 p.m. Flair bartenders, DJs and dancing will take over Thursday through Saturday nights and possibly during the week.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That's pretty optimistic. We walked by this weekend and it looks like it still has a ways to go before opening.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

This place is snake bit.