The Boiler Room (1110 Jones Street)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

The Boiler Room (1110 Jones Street)

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

A member at my girlfriends gym was telling her about a new French restaurant opening up Downtown.  I'm not sure if this person is actually involved with the project, or if it's a friend of theirs.  Anyway, it's at 11th and Jones St., so I'm assuming it will be in the Bemis Bag Building, probably in the space that the gallery used to occupy.

My girlfriend said it's going to be called the Boiler Room and that they're looking at a mid-October opening.

Of course, I totally welcome anther French dining option for Omaha, especially Downtown.  I look forward to more details and seeing progress.
Last edited by StreetsOfOmaha on Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I've been under the impression this has been a side project for the folks at La Buvette for some time now - ie, I seem to remember them talking about opening in October...

...of 2007.
Stable genius.
jjjjhskr
Human Relations

Post by jjjjhskr »

They've been working on it for months and it is owned by the Mercer's.  Should be good but it's been very slow going.

Also, a small art gallery has opened on the corner of the same building.  Nice to see more traffic down that way.  I also noticed that Vignettes on Jackson street closed recently.
Back Home in Omaha!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yep, it's definitely connected with the Mercers and one of the co-owners of La Buvette.

It sounds like they really do think they'll be opening in mid-October.  So even if it's been slow going, it looks like they're getting close.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

What are you doing in South Omaha, anyway, Jeff?
Stable genius.
Omababe
Planning Board

Re: New French Restaurant Downtown: The Boiler Room

Post by Omababe »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:My girlfriend said it's going to be called the Boiler Room and that they're looking at a mid-October opening.
That's a rather strange name for a French restaurant. Le Chaudiere, maybe? :)
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Ha! I was thinking the same thing.  That would be "La Chaudière". :)
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Ha! I was thinking the same thing.  That would be "La Chaudière". :)
LOL, I haven't had French since high school and I was always getting the rules for gender in French confused. :)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

La Chaudière is right next to Le Shidder. :)
DTO
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

la rofl
OmahaChef
Parks & Recreation

Post by OmahaChef »

If they open with a strong menu and good food they just might have a shot.  The French Cafe was dissed in a recent OHW food review.  They just have to overcome the mindset that the Old Market is two blocks long and is only on Howard Street.
Always a business-oriented city hungry for growth and focused on development with laser intensity, Omaha aimed high, reached for momentum and found critical mass.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I noticed last weekend that they have a sign up on the outside of the building and lights on the inside. It didn't look open yet.
DTO
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

DTO Luv wrote:I noticed last weekend that they have a sign up on the outside of the building and lights on the inside. It didn't look open yet.
Last I heard (from someone who visited La Buvette - same owners) was that The Boiler Room was now targeting an opening date shortly after Jan 1.  I believe they're hiring / training staff now.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Ben wrote:
DTO Luv wrote:I noticed last weekend that they have a sign up on the outside of the building and lights on the inside. It didn't look open yet.
Last I heard (from someone who visited La Buvette - same owners) was that The Boiler Room was now targeting an opening date shortly after Jan 1.  I believe they're hiring / training staff now.
What incredibly bad timing for a restaurant opening.  They will miss all of the holidays with no big dining out day in site before Valentine's day.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

A great video interview with Paul Kulik, one of the partner's behind the project.

http://www.gastronomicfightclub.com/blo ... -omaha.cfm

Also, here's their web site. Mostly just says "coming soon", but it looks interesting.

http://theboilerroomrestaurant.com/
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

nativeomahan wrote:What incredibly bad timing for a restaurant opening.  They will miss all of the holidays with no big dining out day in site before Valentine's day.
Not entirely a bad deal having a soft opening - especially if you have Mercer-esque funding behind you.  Get the kinks out before the crush comes.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Most restaurants have soft openings.  Everyone I have been involved in has.  Most are not publicized, just friends, family, invited guests, and whatever people just happen to show up.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Looks like a cool place. It always takes a long time, but when they do things, the Mercer's usually do it right.

Can't wait to try it out.

Post by Guest »

GetUrban wrote: the Mercer's usually do it right.
Anyone who has ever owned a shop or currently leases from the Mercer's in the old market would probably beg to differ otherwise.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Nebraska native to be Boiler Room's master sommelier

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=3 ... d=10539026
NICHOLE AKSAMIT WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Master sommelier Jesse Becker has returned to Nebraska and will be the sommelier at the long-awaited Boiler Room when it opens near 11th and Jones Streets.

The Nebraska native's résumé includes stints at Tra Vigne in St. Helena, Calif., Charlie Trotter's and NoMI in Chicago and, most recently, Frasca Food and Wine in Boulder, Colo., where he completed the master sommelier exam.

According to the Web site of the court that administers the test — a high-water mark for wine knowledge — Becker is among fewer than 170 people worldwide to have passed it, and the only one believed to be working in Nebraska or Iowa.

As for the Boiler Room's opening, chef Paul Kulik said Wednesday he is aiming for late next week, pending a final round of inspections. He advised would-be diners to check http://www.theboilerroomrestaurant.com for updates.

Kulik had originally hoped to launch the "chalkboard French" restaurant — a project with Old Market developers Sam, Vera and Mark Mercer in the renovated boiler room of the Bemis Bag Building — more than a year ago.

Kulik said Becker will suggest and serve wines to accompany meals, though Mark Mercer is responsible for the wine list, which will offer 80 to 150 selections by the bottle and about 17 by the glass and focus on French country wines.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Good to hear this place is going and putting their best foot forward. It had been awhile since I heard anything about it.
DTO
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Anonymous wrote:
GetUrban wrote: the Mercer's usually do it right.
Anyone who has ever owned a shop or currently leases from the Mercer's in the old market would probably beg to differ otherwise.
I said "when they do things"  ...which isn't very often. You have to give them credit for developing the Old Market in the first place. Could it be better? Definitely, but at least they haven't let national chain stores/restaurants come in, which would have ruined the atmosphere of the historic district.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

The Boiler Room is open as of a week ago today.  Totally forgot to post this.

We went Saturday night.  Two people, an appetizer and entree each, one dessert, tea, bottle of wine = $110 plus tip.  I thought it was a pretty good value.

The creative and unique menu is a little intimidating at first - if not unapologetically pretentious - but there's nothing too out of the ordinary on there.  For my first course, I had chicken liver ravioli with some kind of mushroom something or other that was pretty good, but I'm going to try something else the next time I go.  My main was two of the biggest |expletive| scallops I've ever seen, with a cauliflower and red pepper puree that was fantastic.  The baked pear dessert was good, but not close to worth the $6 they were charging.

The wine list is diverse but not too extensive - or expensive.  I was surprised at how reasonable the pricing actually was.

The service was spotty at best.  There's obviously some kinks to work out.  It seemed like there was a vastly disproportionate amount of activity versus the actual amount of food we saw served.  I'm willing to give a pass on day 4.

And, Omaha may have its new "best restaurant atmosphere".  You walk in on the second floor to a hostess stand, where you overlook the bar, dining, and kitchen area below.  It's really quite impressive.  I counted 14 four-top tables, plus a larger area in the back that appeared to seat 10-12.  Nothing is cramped, although the ceiling seems a little "cozy" on the top floor.  

Overall, I highly recommend it if you're a foodie.  Flatiron and V Mertz have some competition, which is always a good thing.
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I was supposed to go last night but it's on my list of places coming up very soon.
DTO
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

DTO Luv wrote:I was supposed to go last night but it's on my list of places coming up very soon.
I look forward to checking it out.  Meantime, we ate recently at Stokes and O Dining, and had great food both places.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I love O. I used to go there for lunch all the time but I haven't been in a while. Definitely one of my faves DT.
DTO
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Bright spots in a dark year

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091225/E ... tainment01
Nichole Aksamit WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Of the 48 eateries I reviewed in 2009, the best (ranked below) fall into three categories: established, if a bit under-the-radar, restaurants with delicious food and a clear sense of hospitality; new chef-driven eateries that embrace local foods, bold seasoning and from-scratch craftsmanship; and great ethnic spots that transport you for the modest price of a well-spiced meal.

All offered what felt to me like value — satisfying food, warm service and a dining experience befitting the cost — in a year when that became even more important.

1. Boiler Room Restaurant* Old Market developers Mark and Vera Mercer work their rustic-refined restaurant magic again — this time with chef Paul Kulik and master sommelier Jesse Becker in the renovated basement boiler room and first floor of the century-old Bemis Omaha Bag Co. Building. Their aptly named Boiler Room is the best new restaurant I tried in 2009 and the city's most interesting startup in years. An ever-changing, specials-only menu -- spun from unusual (and sometimes local) ingredients -- makes it uniquely suited for adventurous diners. The only constants: loft-like ambience, European-inspired cooking and the chance to try something you've probably never tasted before. (1110 Jones St., 916-9274; $$ to $$$$)
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Boiler Room received permission to lease the sidewalk in front of their location from the city for an outdoor eating area which would seat 5 tables, surrounded by wrought iron.
ricko
Parks & Recreation

Post by ricko »

Um.......naaaaah, I'm not gonna say it.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

WHEN IT'S BOILING, HEAD TO NEW PATIO

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100625/E ... ning-notes
Nichole Aksamit, Omaha World-Herald wrote:In July, the Boiler Room Restaurant will open a patio, where it will feature handcrafted cocktails, bottle service from its full wine list and by-the-glass wine selections chosen especially for summer sipping.

Among the clever drinks to try outside: All Corners, a potion of Pimm’s No. 1 (a gin-based liquor), house-made ginger syrup, St. Germaine elderflower liqueur and local honey
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Pig head review?
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

No.  Too many people on here don't deserve to know how awesome it was.
Stable genius.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Big E wrote:No.  Too many people on here don't deserve to know how awesome it was.
Haha!  That at least answered my question if it was good or not.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

The OWH posted a link on their FB page that The Boiler Room was in the top 100 wine menus list.  Sorry, link not working on my phone....
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Brad wrote:The OWH posted a link on their FB page that The Boiler Room was in the top 100 wine menus list.  Sorry, link not working on my phone....
http://www.restaurantnews.com/top-100-r ... ine-lists/
Coyote
City Council

Re: The Boiler Room (1110 Jones Street)

Post by Coyote »

Ten years in to Tim Nicholson's Boiler Room,
the Old Market spot is as good as ever

It’s hard to believe that the last time I sat down to review what has become one of my favorite restaurants in Omaha — The Boiler Room — it was 2016. So much has happened since then, to diners, to chefs and to the Omaha restaurant scene. But one thing, at least when it comes to this review, remains the same: Since 2009, when it opened its doors, The Boiler Room has been one of the city’s most forward-thinking, consistently good, truly creative restaurants that we’ve ever seen as a food loving city. It remains that today. In 2016, and again in 2020, when I had a memorable pandemic-times dinner on the restaurant’s patio, I had praise for chef Tim Nicholson, who took over the kitchen in 2013 from Chef Paul Kulik.

The Boiler Room
https://www.boilerroomomaha.com/
1110 Jones St.
(402) 916-9274

ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

ChadJK wrote: Fri Dec 08, 2023 12:16 pm Wow. That is a short menu:
https://www.boilerroomomaha.com/assets/ ... _menu2.pdf
I think this tells you a lot about how good each of these dishes are.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Went there for my birthday back in January. Everything we had was great. Of course it did end up costing over $400 for 4 of us (and that is only with one alcoholic drink each). The server was very attentive and was able to describe everything on the menu...which is nice, especially these days.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

It's always been fairly short, focused on quality, not quantity.