Rock Bottom Brewery

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Rock Bottom Brewery

Post by Guest »

Rock Bottom Brewery will be locating in the soon to be former Famous Daves location in the Old Market.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Not really fond of either place so it's a wash for me. Had RBB in Chicago and didn't think it was that great.
DTO
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

I had rock bottom at the minneapolis airport the other day, food was average, beer was good.

Re: Rock Bottom Brewery

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:Rock Bottom Brewery will be locating in the soon to be former Famous Daves location in the Old Market.

Huh, when I posted that Famous Dave's was closing before the big database meltdown, I was told I was crazy and didn't have good info...hmmmm
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

F.D.'s closing?   News to this BBQ connoisseur.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I went to Rock Bottom in DesMoines several years ago, I remember it being decent.  I don't know why you would go there when upstream is a block away.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Brad wrote:I went to Rock Bottom in DesMoines several years ago, I remember it being decent.  I don't know why you would go there when upstream is a block away.
Because it's actually TWO blocks away, and that my friend, is just too goddamn far to walk.
Stable genius.
cdub
Parks & Recreation

Post by cdub »

I will take that trade.  One chain for another, but the second one brews beer!  
I generally like RB but they were better 5 years ago then they are now.  They used to have an awesome BBQ chx pizza that was perfect for lunch.
ghiaray
New to the Neighborhood

Re: Rock Bottom Brewery

Post by ghiaray »

Anonymous wrote:Rock Bottom Brewery will be locating in the soon to be former Famous Daves location in the Old Market.

I Love Beer! :cheers:
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

That was all I had there was the beer and I wasn't too fond of it. There was one near our hotel in Chicago when me and a bunch of friends went out there for my Bday. THe beer was ok but at that price it was easy to convince everyone to drink and dash.
DTO
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

If it is in the works, its not listed on Rock Bottom's website as coming soon yet, so we're still a ways off.

Also, it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, this does to Old Chicago's business.  While OC's definitely a family pizza joint, there are many people (myself included) that go primarily for their spectacular beer selection.  With a beer focused restaurant next door, I've got to think that'd kill their bar business...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Ben wrote:Also, it'll be interesting to see what, if anything, this does to Old Chicago's business.  While OC's definitely a family pizza joint, there are many people (myself included) that go primarily for their spectacular beer selection.  With a beer focused restaurant next door, I've got to think that'd kill their bar business...
Its the same company.  Rock Bottom Restaurants is the owner of Old Chicago and Rock Bottom Brewery, as well as others.

http://www.rockbottomrestaurantsinc.com/
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Hey if they move in and occupy and empty retail bay and pay their taxes then welcome to the Old Market Rock Bottom Brewery.  Competition is a good thing.  I just hope they don't put the squeeze on anyone else's bottom line.
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

Look for a lawsuit from the Rock Bottom Cafe at 80th & Center.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

HskrFanMike wrote:Look for a lawsuit from the Rock Bottom Cafe at 80th & Center.
90th and Center before it was bulldozed a few weeks backs was "Rock Bottom Cafe", this is "Rock Bottom Brewery".

Reminds me of "Johnny's Cafe", and "Johnny's Italian Steakhouse", - one local, one chain.
windsor
Human Relations

Post by windsor »

I wonder how much of a cost saving measure it would be to have two restaurants next to each other?  It will be interesting to see if this rumor pans out.
where the corn meets the concrete
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

OWH help wanted classifieds this weekend had an ad for the Rock Bottom Brewery
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Walked by Famous Dave's in the OM Saturday and it was open for business with a big banner out front.
cp jay 07
Human Relations

Post by cp jay 07 »

Famous Dave's will be closed by the end of August if not sooner. Talked to two friends who work there the other night and they both told me that Fd's will be closed by the end of the August.

I also talked to a friend who works at O.C. and she told me the same thing.

I wonder how soon Rock Bottom will open, I would love to try it out during a Creighton UNO DH at the Qwest.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It will be the same owner.  Cuttschall will own it still after the conversion.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

eomahaforums ahead of the OWH by three weeks.

New suds on the block

http://www.omaha.com/article/20090731/E ... /707319885
Omaha World-Herald wrote:Omaha's Cutchall Management Co. plans to open a franchise of the Colorado-based Rock Bottom Restaurant and Brewery chain this fall in the Old Market spot that's currently home to a Famous Dave's.

Owner Greg Cutchall said he completed a deal to become Rock Bottom's first franchisee and submitted plans to the city this week. If all goes smoothly, he said, construction will begin in mid-September and the new restaurant, called Rock Bottom Restaurant and Gold-Medal Tap, will open by Thanksgiving.

Rock Bottom has about 35 company-owned restaurants, including one in West Des Moines. Its restaurant group also owns and franchises Old Chicago locations.

The Rock Bottom concept features American fare (burgers, sandwiches, salads, steaks and such), full service and its own handcrafted beers.
Omaha World-Herald wrote:Cutchall said the Famous Dave's at 11th and Harney Streets will close after Labor Day. But he hopes to find a new home for it somewhere in northwest Omaha.

He said the Old Market location has been profitable but relatively close to another Famous Dave's he has in Council Bluffs. He said he expects to retain, relocate or rehire all or most of the Old Market location's managers and employees.
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

The OM Famous Dave's is completely empty as advertised. We'll see how the Rock Bottom does. I'll check it out, though how many "American fare" and beer places do we need in the OM? I'll miss the option of BBQ there.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I know. I liked FD ok but now that it's not there I'll miss it. From what I saw of RBB in Chicago I wasn't impressed and would much rather have FD.
DTO
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

If FD is looking to relocate DT I wonder if they're looking at the space in the Landmark Center that used to be the Cactus Cafe and Garden Cafe. It seems to be big enough and is close enough to the old location that they wouldn't lose too much of their clientele. Plus being inside the building with the employees here it would always have a crowd.
DTO
S33
County Board

Post by S33 »

I saw a few people inside the old Cactus Cafe yesterday walking around and going over blueprints. Perhaps they have something planned for that place finally?
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I hope so. It's a shame that place is vacant. It's in a pretty prime spot but I heard they were just asking too much for that spot.
DTO
Murz
Home Owners Association

Post by Murz »

If you ever want to check out the spot and rents for places in the Old Market...go to http://www.loopnet.com

Search properties for Lease, and put in the info you are looking for. You get the most results downtown just putting in Omaha and zip code 68102.

Use the pulldown to check the $/month rent
Murz
Home Owners Association

Post by Murz »

Just did a walk through of Rock Bottom Brewery yesterday....WOW! What an amazing job they have done in a short time. The whole bay is open and 3 booths have their own beer taps. We are going to a lunch service this Thursday....will report back!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Murz wrote:Just did a walk through of Rock Bottom Brewery yesterday....WOW! What an amazing job they have done in a short time. The whole bay is open and 3 booths have their own beer taps. We are going to a lunch service this Thursday....will report back!
Of all peoplel should you being going, "Boo this place is terrible to drink at. Places on Howard St. are much better." :;):
DTO
Murz
Home Owners Association

Post by Murz »

DTO Luv wrote:
Murz wrote:Just did a walk through of Rock Bottom Brewery yesterday....WOW! What an amazing job they have done in a short time. The whole bay is open and 3 booths have their own beer taps. We are going to a lunch service this Thursday....will report back!
Of all peoplel should you being going, "Boo this place is terrible to drink at. Places on Howard St. are much better." :;):
I got the higher ups full of booze on Saturday Night.....they couldn't help but invite me.  :;):
bargainhunter
Library Board

Post by bargainhunter »

Grand Opening Monday, November 16.
Prices seem a little high, but I'll give it a chance.

http://www.rockbottom.com/DisplayLocati ... onID=10167

http://www.rockbottomrestaurantsinc.com ... seID=10143
Rock Bottom Restaurants Inc. said it plans to debut a new "polished casual" concept next month in Omaha, Neb. The new restaurant, Rock Bottom Gold Medal Tap, will focus on craft beers from Rock Bottom's proprietary lineup and microbrewers around the United States.

In addition to the requisite emphasis on specialty beers, the brewpub concept will have a large selection of cocktails, infused spirits and wine. The menu reportedly will feature steaks, seafood, build-your-own burgers, flatbreads and prime-rib specials on the weekends.
skibum21
New to the Neighborhood

Post by skibum21 »

bargainhunter wrote:Grand Opening Monday, November 16.
Prices seem a little high, but I'll give it a chance.

http://www.rockbottom.com/DisplayLocati ... onID=10167

http://www.rockbottomrestaurantsinc.com ... seID=10143
Rock Bottom Restaurants Inc. said it plans to debut a new "polished casual" concept next month in Omaha, Neb. The new restaurant, Rock Bottom Gold Medal Tap, will focus on craft beers from Rock Bottom's proprietary lineup and microbrewers around the United States.

In addition to the requisite emphasis on specialty beers, the brewpub concept will have a large selection of cocktails, infused spirits and wine. The menu reportedly will feature steaks, seafood, build-your-own burgers, flatbreads and prime-rib specials on the weekends.
Yikes,prices are high.  They are higher than the Rock Bottom in the Minneapolis airport.  Airport restaurants are usually always higher.  Of course, I ate there in late May, so maybe they raised their prices too.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I went on Thursday night for Friends and Family night.  A friend runs a Famous Dave's.  It was nicer inside than I thought it would be.  I was thinking it would look in the class of Old Chicago but it's a step up from that.  I had the rib eye.  It was really good and very large.  When they open I think it's going to cost $19.95 which is very reasonable for the quality and amount of food.  Thought the dinner menu as a whole looked good for the $.  Might be a little much for lunch.  Tried a couple of the beers.  Once was a seasonal that was good, another was a wheat, both really good.

Not sure if this was posted earlier but they have some table right up front with taps built in, very cool.  I'll definitely hit this place for dinner before UNO games and a beer afterwards.

Greg
RegisResident
Home Owners Association

Post by RegisResident »

I stopped by on Friday night with a couple of friends- the beer taps at the front tables are really cool- the bartender explained that it is a computerized system so the waiter for the table swipes their card and it allows the people at the table to pour 32 oz. of beer from the tap. If they need more, the waiter simply swipes their card again. There is a little screen on the table that shows how much of the 32 oz. have been poured.

Overall the beer was pretty good and the service was good considering they just finished training for the day. We didn't have any food since we ate at Blue earlier in the evening.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Greg S wrote:It was nicer inside than I thought it would be.  I was thinking it would look in the class of Old Chicago but it's a step up from that.
FYI, Rock Bottom and Old Chicago brands are both owned by the same company, http://www.rockbottomrestaurantsinc.com, which also owns a few other brands I'm not familiar with.
Stable genius.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

From looking at the DSM menu, which lists prices, it would appear that for someone eating lunch, splitting an appetizer, having a burger or sandwich or other lunch type main course, and a soft drink, the tab would run over $20 per person.  The DSM web page indicates that they are aiming for a hotel trade (15 hotels located within 1 mile of the restaurant).  For someone on an expense account $20 or $24 for lunch isn't bad.  But for the average Joe, it won't cut it.  Maybe they will run lunch specials.  People expect to pay upwards of $15 to eat lunch in the OM, but $20-$24 including tax and tip is a bit pricey in my opinion.
Murz
Home Owners Association

Post by Murz »

nativeomahan wrote:From looking at the DSM menu, which lists prices, it would appear that for someone eating lunch, splitting an appetizer, having a burger or sandwich or other lunch type main course, and a soft drink, the tab would run over $20 per person.  The DSM web page indicates that they are aiming for a hotel trade (15 hotels located within 1 mile of the restaurant).  For someone on an expense account $20 or $24 for lunch isn't bad.  But for the average Joe, it won't cut it.  Maybe they will run lunch specials.  People expect to pay upwards of $15 to eat lunch in the OM, but $20-$24 including tax and tip is a bit pricey in my opinion.
If the food and service is great, this will be a non-factor. It's when people pay an elevated price and the place doesn't deliver. People are all over the board with what they will pay for lunch, the OM has many options to satisfy every budget.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Murz wrote:It's when people pay an elevated price and the place doesn't deliver.
Blasphemy.  It is almost as if you're suggesting everyone doesn't want $8 endless pasta or $1 Busch Lights.
Stable genius.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I went there for lunch today. Overall it was pretty good. There were a few things that gave me pause but nothing that would deter me from going back.

As a bar I think the  place will be popular for drinkers but not drinkers that will come in wearing jeans and a tshirt. It will probably be more frequented by a 30's and up crowd as opposed to a 20 something hangout. As far as the food, I can see it being a popular as a date spot for couples that aren't trying to impress each other anymore but not wanting to go someplace just to eat, as say Old Chicago next door.

The interior is very nice. It's very stately and simple. The brick walls are a nice base for the black iron framework on the walls and windows with dim lighting. This might be my second favorite place DT interior after O. The one thing I would add is some black semi translucent blinds on the windows. There was too much light coming in and it kind of threw off the rest of the otherwise night-on-the-town atmosphere.

I was on lunch so I didn't try any of the beer.

I think the food is definitely what will make this place stand out. The menu wasn't overly inspiring but it's a happy compromise on feeling like you're eating at the Paxton Chophouse but getting away with paying for Upstream. (Although Upstream is local I think the place sucks and would much recommend RB over Upstream). Their was a small lunch menu of things super discounted and I ended up going with the Mac'n Chicken, soup and salad. The meal came with the salad, the soup was extra.

The salad was good. The semi dried cranberries kept in theme with the restaurant. Nicer than most places but plainer than you would think. The soup of the day was RB's spin on French Onion but it was made with one of the RB's beer. I think wheat. The soup was delicious. I'm not a fan of onion soup at all but I would go back and get a bowl of this. It was very good.

I shouldn't have been too pumped about something called Mac'n Chicken but I had my hopes up. Just as much as I was let down with this I was happy with it. The portion, even at the discounted lunch special, was a dissapointment. The regular price of $12 may have had more but I forgot to ask. The Parmesan crusted chicken was delicious and could stand on it's own as an entree and not part of another. Overall the meal was great and for the price I paid was worth it, however if I paid for the full price of it I would expect more but I'll let it slide this time.

I'll definitely be back to try it out as a bar. The main thing I want try out is the tables that have their own beer dispensers. I see more drunk posts in the future. It turns out the manager there is an old manager of mine from another restaurant, one of the few hold overs from the old Famous Dave's.
DTO
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

DTO Luv wrote:The main thing I want try out is the tables that have their own beer dispensers. I see more drunk posts in the future.
Let us know how comfy the booths are for one of your "naps".
Stable genius.