Flavors: 19th and Farnam, Indian Restaurant

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

New Indian restaurant called "Flavors" will be opening soon, according to signs outside of the former Mia Latte Cafe building
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

This will be a great addition to Downtown.  You can't beat a good Indian restaurant!
Last edited by Brad on Wed Sep 04, 2013 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Flavors

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091211/E ... tainment01
Nichole Aksamit, owh wrote:A new Indian restaurant called Flavors opened Monday in the former Mia Latte Cafe space at 1901 Farnam St.

Owner Rakesh Sahu, who previously worked as a manager at India Garden, said Flavors offers a fine-dining Indian menu in the evenings and an $8.99 buffet at lunch.
http://www.omahaflavors.com
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I tried this place out today and I loved it. The feelings I wanted to feel for that epic fail Eat the Worm I had for Flavors. For the $9.00 buffet there is not a better lunch option for price, quality, and quantity right now. I did not see a sign for the hours but I hope they can stay open later than predecessors in this location doing lunch only. I think their product is enough of a draw they could stay open for dinner as well.

They had menus and I'm guessing you could order dishes instead of just the buffet. I'm basing the following off of the buffet only.

The decor was a 30/70 mix of traditional Indian design and architecture but very modern. The space wasn't super large but seated about 60 I would guess. The inside reminded me of the dining area of O but with a smaller budget. Having 2 front doors is kind of confusing to people outside and in. Given the current weather they should emphasize the door away from the dining area as the entrance so cold air doesn't blow in while you're eating. It happened a few times but it's an easy fix.

The food was great too. Not great like you would expect to pay much more but great in the way that it's priced right, convenient, and you don't sacrifice quality for expedience. I know the word "buffet" is kryptonite to some foodies but it's setup is Holland Center wedding reception line, not Golden Corral feed trough.

All of the food is labeled which is a smart move explaining exotic dishes to a clientele that may not be as experienced with Indian food. Nothing on the menu was super spicy but nothing is bland either. I was afraid the food would be watered down and more generic to appeal to those just wanting food as opposed to those specifically wanting Indian food. Like the name suggest everything was flavorful and the buffet was diverse enough to offer a sampling of what Indian dining is to newcomers and pleasing enough to those who can tell the difference. If you aren't quite ready to drop the coin on Indian food at the Indian Oven, or even Mother India, than I would recommend this place for you.

One nitpick as this place is only a week old, put ice in the drinks. The water glasses and sodas didn't have ice. Perhaps this was an oversight.

Another thing was the amount of obviously Indian or Indian Americans there were in there. There are many living and working DT so just off of how many them were inside and outside of the place I think it could last just off of them frequenting Flavors.

I did hear the owner/manager talking with an older guy about how he had opened restaurants in Oklahoma and I think Texas, so hopefully Flavors has someone at the helm that can make this place last more than a year.

I really do wish this place well and will definitely be back in the future.

P.S. Eat the Worm you still suck.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Yes!

I'll have to try this place out ASAP.

The difference between Indian food and sushi is that people eat Indian food because it tastes amazing; people eat sushi because it's "cool" and because peer pressure forces them to overlook the fact that they're eating raw fish and seaweed.
Last edited by StreetsOfOmaha on Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

I love Indian food (and I love sushi, too, but more of my friends love Indian than love sushi).  I hope this jinxed location finally gets a winning dining destination.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:The difference between Indian food and sushi is that people eat Indian food because it tastes amazing; people eat sushi because it's "cool" and because peer pressure forces them to overlook that they're eating raw fish and seaweed.
:roll:

Sushi is the |expletive| |expletive|.
Stable genius.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I want to believe that you truly like sushi Big E, but I just can't.  :)

No, I'm being facetious. I have eaten and enjoyed sushi. I've just seen so many people "trying" to like sushi, and not, and eating it anyway because it's the cool thing to do. There are a lot of sushi posers out there.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:I've just seen so many people "trying" to like sushi, and not, and eating it anyway because it's the cool thing to do. There are a lot of sushi posers out there.
That I will give you.  If someone eats California rolls exclusively, they don't eat sushi.  They eat sushi-shaped crab salad.
Stable genius.
ShawJ
Parks & Recreation

Post by ShawJ »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
I've just seen so many people "trying" to like sushi, and not, and eating it anyway because it's the cool thing to do.
I tried. And failed. I'd rather eat rubber.
ItsAllAboutMe
Human Relations

Post by ItsAllAboutMe »

LOVED IT!.   I will be back often.  I hope they make it and I believe they will.
mamu_mia
New to the Neighborhood

I tried Dhaba Indian Cuisine

Post by mamu_mia »

My friends I went to Dhaba at 120th and Blondo last Friday. This is quite a wonderful Indian restaurant I have ever seen. We askes for some help and were recomended Chicken Tikki and Dhaba Spl grill, excellent taste and friendly service. And the interior so unique style they got thatched roofs over the booths and decor is well seemed. we had some wine, but they serve all kinds of liquor.. I would say it is a worth to try and we feel our food and drinks are worth for each penny we spent. Please check the news in Omaha Herald..

http://www.omaha.com/article/20091204/D ... /712049826
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I know A LOT of Indian folks here in town (comes with my territory)... and the consensus among them is that India Garden (formerly Sitar... apparently the new owners got some talented chef after it changed hands) has the best food in town (oh, and a lunch buffet too).  A couple of them suggested the other Indian restaurants in town are 'posers' which could be equated to the average American mother opening up a restaurant and attempting home cooking for their clientele.  I'm not all that fond of Indian food in general... although I do like Indian Garden better (particularly in buffet form) than some of the other establishments they've taken me to.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

We do not mind - it is not the first time someone wanted to promote their place.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Sioux Falls has had an Indian buffet for quite some time, I only went there once because it was pretty terrible.  Just judging from that experience it seems like and Indian buffet would be hard to pull off.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

The important thing in an Indian buffet is to make sure you NEVER run out of naan.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
fremo
New to the Neighborhood

Post by fremo »

I have been to this restaurant twice.  The food is okay, but I would not call it flavorful.  It is perhaps better than Indian Oven, but that is setting a very low bar indeed.  I have lived in several other US cities and I am unimpressed by the Indian and Thai food in Omaha.  It seems that no restaurant around here likes to use any of the usual spices such as fennel, cumin, coriander, cardamom, cinnamon or star anise.  Sadly, this does make for much more bland food.  I hope the restaurant survives, but I wish they would actually cook Indian food rather than this Americanized stuff.  Sigh, perhaps someday this city will have a good Indian restaurant open near downtown.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

fremo wrote:I have lived in several other US cities and I am unimpressed by the Indian and Thai food in Omaha.
Hmmm. You must have never been to Mother India, Bangkok Cuisine, or Laos Thai Market.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:
fremo wrote:I have lived in several other US cities and I am unimpressed by the Indian and Thai food in Omaha.
Hmmm. You must have never been to Mother India, Bangkok Cuisine, or Laos Thai Market.
Or Thai Spice.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

A good one for sure, but it's "too far out of my comfort zone" to frequent.
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:A good one for sure, but it's "too far out of my comfort zone" to frequent.
It has been around since you were in junior high school.  If you are nervous about journeying way out to 108th St. I will offer to give you a ride.  I admit that it is (barely) past 680.  Hopefully you will not need to self medicate beforehand.   :;):
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I know, and thanks for the offer  :;): . I was just making a point.

I actually ate there over the summer and loved it. I can't remember what I was doing out there...
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Review: Welcome to Bollywood

http://www.omaha.com/article/20100226/E ... tainment01
Nichole Aksamit WORLD-HERALD STAFF WRITER wrote:Stepping inside Flavors, the new Indian spot downtown, is like crashing a Bollywood party at a Holiday Inn.

Glass pendant lights of every shade dangle next to chandeliers and Indian fringe. Peacock-blue vinyl tablecloths and white paper placemats cover the tables. Artificial trees line a central ledge, their hot pink, blue and green lights aglow. Near a TV showing popular Indian films, white lights drip like rainfall.

All that color and bling are sprinkled right over the subdued beige paint, burgundy carpet and decorative grapes left by the former tenant, Mia Latte Cafe.

Indian spices fill the air, as does Indian music, upbeat and clubby during lunches and more relaxed and classical in the evenings when the midday buffet is closed. The clientele's a melting pot that includes some ethnic Indians, a few arty-looking thirtysomethings and lots of workers from nearby offices.
guy4omaha
Parks & Recreation

Post by guy4omaha »

Had guests from out of town who like Indian food. We tried Flavors. Our guests thought it was good. We all thought the service was very good. My wife and I told them we were "uninitiated". They really went out of their way to make us feel welcome and really helped us around the menu. They brought out several samples of stuff (which I can't name) for us to try. It was all good. The Kingfisher beer was great. My wife went with something bland (on purpose) with some kind of Almond Sauce over chicken. I had the Lamb Vindaloo which was very, very nice. The little bit of spice paired very nicely with my beers. Just what my waistline needs  . . . another restaurant to want to go to all the time.
My son got a 27 on his ACT. No this score is not as high as what Jeff's son achieved. But one has to remember the paternal gene-pool my son has to overcome. On a PGPAB [Paternal Gene-Pool Adjusted Basis], my son's score is a 37 and Jeff's son's PGPAB ACT score is 19.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I saw on the news that Flavors had a kitchen fire last night.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I thought this had a thread - must be stilled closed due to the fire?