Weather in Omaha: Different or the Same?

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

RockHarbor
Planning Board

Re: Weather in Omaha: Different or the Same?

Post by RockHarbor »

Busguy2010 wrote:Couldn't tell you. But what I do know is within the last week, greenery and insect life has really taken off. Mosquitos came to life about a week ago, as well as the chatter at night from crickets and other bugs. It's the first time in my life I've actually noticed such a change. One day it is totally benign and within two days, here it is feeling like summer. I chock it up to the relatively cool May we've had up to about a week ago. Like nature's energy was pent up and caged and as soon as we had a day above 80, boom it exploded.
Weird. It almost sounds like one of those sci-fi insect movies. I just imagine all these eggs hatching while we sleep. lol

I should have used Kansas City as an example, not Memphis. I just feel like Omaha seems a little more like Kansas City, in terms of greenery & vines & bramble, more than it used to. Maybe just slightly more. It would make sense if our climate is getting warmer overall.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Did you guys know that West Maple Road (just west of 144th) buckled (upward) today from the heat? I got pictures. So weird. Has that happened in Omaha before? Between that buckling, the torrential downpours (like the one the other day), generally warmer winters and earlier springs, it does seem like global warming, or something, is occurring.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

RockHarbor wrote:Did you guys know that West Maple Road (just west of 144th) buckled (upward) today from the heat? I got pictures. So weird. Has that happened in Omaha before? Between that buckling, the torrential downpours (like the one the other day), generally warmer winters and earlier springs, it does seem like global warming, or something, is occurring.
You should post them.

But yeah I do agree that global warming seems more and more evident these days. I don't pay too much attention but I'm pretty sure 90° streaks normally happen later in the year.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Here are 2 pictures from the world herald:

GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

That would make a fun jump on a motorcycle! I don't think I've ever seen pavement buckle up quite that high in Omaha from heat. Maybe it was a small earthquake...nothing on the seismic recordings though.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Those are great OWH photos. I would have posted mine off my phone, but believe me, those are much better. I'm wondering if that has ever happened before in Omaha?

Yes, I was thinking it would be great for a bike or skateboard. :) I'm a skateboarding fan.

That buckling is something that I'm sure has happened in Phoenix before. With the intense desert heat, they must leave a bigger crack between sections of cement out there, or something, to deal with the swelling. I'm wondering the engineering behind that in Phoenix, though, as it is not like anybody notes while visiting Phoenix that the cracks in the roads are bigger out there than back home. They look the same to me.