Aksarben Brewing Co. (CLOSED)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

midtown charlie
Human Relations

Aksarben Brewing Co. (CLOSED)

Post by midtown charlie »

It is located next to the Liquid Lounge at 114th and Davenport. They bottle their own beers or you can stop in and make some yourself. The place is still under construction inside so I am guessing that it hasn't been open very long. Very nice people.

If the rock bottom rumor is true then that will make 6 breweries/brewpubs in the metro. (7 if you include Fremont as part of the metro) 5 years ago we were down to only 2 Brewpubs.

Upstream downtown
Upstream 172nd & Center
Lazlos (opening at 192nd and center)
Jobbers Canyon
The Jaipur
Aksarben
Rock Bottom (rumor)
Lazlos (opening in Fremont)

There are also 6-7 more within an hour drive of Omaha (depending on how fast you drive.)

Firehouse in Red Oak, IA
Shenandoah Brewing Co. in Shenandoah, IA
Lazlos in the Haymarket in Lincoln
Lazlos in SE Lincoln
Misty's Restaurant and Brewery in downtown Lincoln
Granite City Brewpub at some mall in Lincoln
Spilker Ales Cortland, NE
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I thought that there was one in Columbus (thats within an hour, right???)
jcitta
Home Owners Association

Post by jcitta »

Yeah Gottberg brewery is in Columbus......I dont know about an hour...maybe an hour and fifteen minutes :)
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

An hour and 15 minutes if you're driving 90 the entire way :wink: ..

Thanks for the update charlie..Yet another new establishment I'll have to mix into my rotation of places to try..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Last edited by Omaha Cowboy on Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Go Cowboys!
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

An hour and ten on the train oh wait
15-17, 26, 32
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

If your definition of a Brew Pub is a place that serves beer that is made on site they I beleive that the Lazlos that is opening in Omaha and in Fremont fall into a gray area. It is my understanding that these two locations will not be brewing on site but in fact brining beer in from Lincoln where the have a pretty good size brewing operation. Feel free to correct me if this is wrong. Couldn't find this in print anywere with a quick search but I am sure this is what has been reported.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Yeah, I thought about Gottberg but isn't it about and 1 1/2 hours away. I had to draw the line somewhere.

Yes, a brewpub actually brews on premise and sells 51% or more of it's beer on-site. Lazlo's is a grey area since it is owned by them but does not actually brew at each location. Granite City is a grey area as well since it is partially brewed in MN or SD (I forget) and then trucked around to it's various brew pubs where they finish the brewing process on-site. It is called fermentus interuptus or something like that. I actually think that is more dangerous for the U.S. brewing scene than what Lazlos is doing. They are both cheating. (not that the Upstream actually brews different beers at each location....so I guess what is the difference.)

Worse yet was a place up in Stanton (near Norfolk) that calls itself a brewery but doesn't actually brew. They opened up the restaurant and were going to brew but decided against it. Never bothered to change the name. shame shame shame!!!!
UNMCStudent
Home Owners Association

Post by UNMCStudent »

No one got down to the important matter - is their beer good??
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

UNMCStudent wrote:No one got down to the important matter - is their beer good??
I'll be sampling it soon..

But I will say, the wheat beer brewed at Jobbers Canyon is EXCELLENT!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
midtown charlie
Human Relations

The ones I have tried definitely are. I think there is some fine tuning that they are working with on the bottling but good nonetheless.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I just have come into the acquaintance with Upstream's Brew Master. He is currently obtaining a Masters from Heriot-Watt University in Edinburgh (The International Centre for Brewing and Distilling (ICBD) ).

I have heard that this is one of the better or best brewing and distilling schools in the world - so he will be bringing some good knowledge back to Omaha.

I raised a question about "Brewing and Distilling". While I believe that each state has some regulations about micro brewpubs only some states have distilling laws (Kentucky, Tennessee for whiskey and California for Vodka, There is also a Vodka Craft Distiller in Texas) but some states do have regulations for craft distilling - which - maybe - Upstream may look at in the future?

I am hoping to get a personal tour of Upstream's brewing after he returns from abroad. Pictures may follow.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I look forward to seeing those pics Coyote!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
the1wags
County Board

Post by the1wags »

Sounds like Coyote has the inside track on a EOmaha forum meet event to me. :D
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

4/6/2006

Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I see the 'now open' sign on Brad's first picture..

I'll be trying this place out soon..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Great, another Brad photo frenzy tour. Great work Brad.
BFarrell
New to the Neighborhood

Post by BFarrell »

Slightly off topic, but the bar scene on 114th seems to be never ending. I hear the new bar next to Fedora will be named 'The Pelican Room' (rediculous!) It is owned by the same owners of The Rail in Lincoln and Fedora next door.

Lets see that is

Green Onion
Liquid Lounge
Aksarben Brewing (Brewpub)
Fedora
Shag
Pelican Room (new)
Cub Patricks
Clancys
DJs Dugout

Last I heard they are looking for a bar across 114th from Liquid next to Bruggers as well. It'll be a regular "O" Street like Lincoln has Downtown.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

^Yep, should make bar hoping hoping pretty easy. Although, I'd prefer DT. 8)
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Green Onion
Liquid Lounge
Aksarben Brewing (Brewpub)
Fedora
Shag
Pelican Room (new)
Cub Patricks
Clancys
DJs Dugout

don forget

Old Mill Lounge
Club 108

not to mention all the resterauants that sell liquor
Fernandos
Grisanti's
Stokes
Lonestar
That Prime Rib place at the top of the hill????
Harpoon
Human Relations

Post by Harpoon »

UNMCStudent wrote:No one got down to the important matter - is their beer good??
In a word... NO. The beers at Aksarben Brewing are a little bit below average. They do not even come close to matching the selection at the Upstream.

Ken's IPA - Has some hints of hops in there with almost no bitterness
Belgian Ale - Probably one of their better beers, which isn't saying anything
Antler Ale - Hints of fruitiness, with somewhat maltiness flavor. Poor beer.
European Lager - A mixture of flavors, probably too many put together.
Rein-Bold Extra Dry - Decent looking beer, but it tastes awful.
Irish Stout - Decent smell with hint of coffee flavor, not a good beer.
Marzen Lager - Stay away from this beer.

All in all, not too impressive. I wouldn't recommend drinking their beer unless you enjoy bad beer (so all you Coors, Bud and Miller fans might like it).
omahapropertymanager
Home Owners Association

Post by omahapropertymanager »

So, I heard from their radio advertisements that you can brew your own beer at Aksarben Brewery. Anyone else here this? I'm not a beer drinker, but I think that would be pretty cool.
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

I haven't heard that. How would you do that, doesn't it take awhile to make beer? Sounds like a good date place to me. :)
Last edited by adam186 on Mon Apr 10, 2006 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I just have to interject that when I hear Aksarben Brewing I think of that liquid on the bathroom floors of Aksarben.. don’t know exactly why
15-17, 26, 32
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

MTO wrote:I just have to interject that when I hear Aksarben Brewing I think of that liquid on the bathroom floors of Aksarben.. don’t know exactly why
You mean pee? You mean pee right? You mean pee?
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I drove by the Aksarben Brewing Co early Sunday evening at about 7PM and I believe the place was closed..

Curious..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

MMMM :? , my guess is that they mostly make their money mostly from alcohol sales and it's Sunday so.... I have no idea what this means.
BFarrell
New to the Neighborhood

Post by BFarrell »

don forget

Old Mill Lounge
Club 108

not to mention all the resterauants that sell liquor
Fernandos
Grisanti's
Stokes
Lonestar
That Prime Rib place at the top of the hill????
Jericho's? great place BTW

Lonestar closed
Prestige could be added

Old Mill, oh yeah, cant forget the hole in the wall that I always forget about. Really it's not too bad though, 2 old lady's workin the bar how can you loose
Club 108, forgot about that one, wrong crowd, I dont like wondering if the guy next to me has a gun.

One more I forgot about Nico, quite expensive, but not a terribly bad place for the younger crowd.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Back to the subject of Beer. ...The Dunkleweizen and the Dark Porter were awesome. Definitely will have to get some more. Some of the others were just okay....I was told that they were still experimenting with the carbonation levels and that they weren't happy with them yet. It has been a few weeks so I am not sure if they have the kinks worked out yet or not.

BTW...This place is also a BOP (Brew On Premise). Some of you had asked about that. I brewed at at two different ones before and it is awesome. This is a great way to try brewing since it usually tastes good when you go through professionals. It has not always been that way when I have tried it myself. The way it works is you come in and brew the beer. (there are probably 100's of recipies) It then gets poured into a storage container where they watch it and keep it going until it is ready to bottle. Then you come back and drink some and bottle the rest.

Very fun. For those that don't drink they might let you make Root Beer. Not sure though. Never tried.

Aksarben Brewing Company - Closing?

Post by Guest »

Is there any truth to the rumor that Aksarben Brewing Company is closing?  Timeframe?
Brad
City Council

Re: Aksarben Brewing Co. (CLOSED)

Post by Brad »

I heard it was closing.  Its too bad, they had GREAT beer, just a bad set up.

Post by Guest »

I wouldn't call their beers great but they had improved since opening.  It is a shame when any beer business goes under (if it really is).  I guess I should start hopping that Nebraska Brewing Company can produce some great beers...
Mike-Ro-Brew
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Mike-Ro-Brew »

My friend told me they are closing pretty soon, like within the week.  They had some decent beer.  It was nice that they made I think close to 70 different beers.  Even though they usually featured probably 10 or 12 at a time, it was still more than the four or five beers you can get at Jobber's Canyon, and the eight or so at Upstream.