Pioneer Village

Grand Island, Hastings, Kearney, DesMoines, and the rest of Nebraska and Iowa

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Pioneer Village

Post by nebugeater »

Thought there was a thread on here already but the only thing I found searching was a rumor thread about it moving to Omaha.  

There was a story in the OWH today about Pioneer Village struggling.  I have not been there in quite a few years and it sould like many others are the same way.  I am going to try and make a point to get out there in the spring to see it once more in case it isn't around much longer.  Now to be fair the Story has nothing in it that says they will be closing in case you didn't read the story but between the lines it seem to be a possibility.  I have some good memories of being there a few times as a kid and have been there as an adult but not recently.  I think this type of place has a place and I hope they can find a way to stay around for many years.

http://www.omaha.com/article/20131208/N ... ory-museum

Couple of things that stood out to me in the story....

The museum has seen annual attendance decline from about 150,000 to 35,000 in recent years, and the buildings housing the massive collection are showing their age. Not surprisingly, the museum that celebrates the bootstrap now finds itself cash-strapped.
Another sign of trouble: an attraction that once employed 100 full-time and part-time workers during the peak season now employs about 35.
The son of the founder...
Warp wanted to address what he called another misconception: He and other board members are not paid. Every penny generated by the motel, restaurant and RV park goes to cover expenses and maintenance at Pioneer Village.
Pending court decision on a property tax question
The court could release its decision in coming weeks.

At stake is about $28,000 in annual property taxes. That could tip the balance for the struggling attraction, said Harold G. Warp of Chicago, the son of the founder and the foundation president.

“If we lose this appeal and have to pay additional taxes, it will have a devastating impact on the future of the Pioneer Village,” he said.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!