Nebraska Basketball 2015-2016

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

nebugeater
City Council

Re: Nebraska Basketball 2015-2016

Post by nebugeater »

MadMartin8 wrote:They need to set up a Midwest Tourney:

Nebraska, Bitchita State, Iowa State, Iowa, Mizzou, Kansas, Minnesota, Creighton.

Alternate sites between Minneapolis and Kansas City.
I could see something like this working and being a good draw. Any bigger than this and the likelihood of it being pulled together is very small IMO.
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

The Huskers will be playing a a closed scrimmage vs Wyoming on Oct 31st. in Lincoln. Can't really call it secret since it is already out there.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I love the idea of the bigger tournament, even rotating it.

Petteway continues to impress in summer league.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Petteway signs partially guaranteed contract with the Atlanta Hawks:

http://www.ketv.com/sports/huskers-exte ... Type=Story
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

Post by Huskerbaseball13 »

blueblood wrote:That has to be one of worst home schedules ever.
Joining Nebraska and Creighton in the discussion for worst non-con home schedule...the Iowa Hawkeyes. Turns out, getting solid teams to come to the Midwest is not an exact science apparently?

Iowa Schedule home slate

Gardner-Webb
Coppin State
Florida State
UMKC
Western Illinois
Tennessee Tech
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Nice game in Spain by Andrew White:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/m ... 7b008.html
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Ouch the Huskers barely won that game. Not sure if the competition is stronger than what Creighton faced in Europe, but the Jays won their games by an average of 67 pts.
E_L_Cut
New to the Neighborhood

Post by E_L_Cut »

skinzfan23 wrote:Ouch the Huskers barely won that game. Not sure if the competition is stronger than what Creighton faced in Europe, but the Jays won their games by an average of 67 pts.
Anyone on the boards familiar with the parity in the various European basketball leagues? Bueller?
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

skinzfan23 wrote:Ouch the Huskers barely won that game. Not sure if the competition is stronger than what Creighton faced in Europe, but the Jays won their games by an average of 67 pts.
From what I have read online it sounds like some of Creighton games were 'pick-up' games from the neighborhood. Not slamming Creighton but it didn't sound like they were playing quality competition.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Yeah Rob Anderson from CU admitted they played some pretty bad teams. Sounds like glorified pick up. I think they will try to get a better line of teams to play against next time they go overseas. Sounds like it was a mess on the court.

Greg
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

Miami faced the same team last year and won by 10 points if I recall. It's nice to win but the coaches don't really coach that way. Some guys getting heavy minutes now probably won't be getting the same type of minutes come Big Ten play. I think Miles stated he asked the organizer setting up the games to schedule one easy game, two competitive games, and one game in which NU will get killed. Something along those lines.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

To me anyway, this overseas trips have zero to do with wins and losses. Wins are nice but not important. These trips are all about building team chemistry and some extra practice time with the coaches. If you can win in the practice and chemistry areas that is a win, not the actual scores of the games.
E_L_Cut
New to the Neighborhood

Post by E_L_Cut »

nebugeater wrote:To me anyway, this overseas trips have zero to do with wins and losses. Wins are nice but not important. These trips are all about building team chemistry and some extra practice time with the coaches. If you can win in the practice and chemistry areas that is a win, not the actual scores of the games.
These trips have become a part of the one-ups-manship of college basketball recruiting, as well. If a coach can tell an 18 year old high school kid, "We'll give you a free 2 week trip to Europe." then their competitors have to start offering the same. Added practice time, early competitive scrimmages, building chemistry, recruiting edge and maybe picking up some new knowledge. It's a win, win, win for college basketball programs.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

You do want to play teams though that are at least half way decent.

Greg
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Uffda wrote:
From what I have read online it sounds like some of Creighton games were 'pick-up' games from the neighborhood. Not slamming Creighton but it didn't sound like they were playing quality competition.
No one does in these European trips. The scores are largely meaningless and the games are only for the purposes nebugeater wrote above. Let's avoid the pissing contest, plenty of time to do that during the season.
No posts exist for this topic
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

MadMartin8 wrote:
Uffda wrote:
No one does in these European trips. The scores are largely meaningless and the games are only for the purposes nebugeater wrote above. Let's avoid the pissing contest, plenty of time to do that during the season.
Creighton didn't get to pick and choose who they played so I don't think anybody is blaming them or slamming them(unless you are talking about Dirk). As far as saying nobody plays quality competition on the international trips that's certainly not true. GTown just lost in Italy and most would probably put them top 3 in the Big East. There is some solid players/teams in Europe.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Huskerbaseball13 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:
Uffda wrote:
Creighton didn't get to pick and choose who they played so I don't think anybody is blaming them or slamming them(unless you are talking about Dirk). As far as saying nobody plays quality competition on the international trips that's certainly not true. GTown just lost in Italy and most would probably put them top 3 in the Big East. There is some solid players/teams in Europe.
I don't think I ever said anyone is blaming anyone, what I did see is that people were starting the whole "who played who" argument, which leads down the road of a hilarious pissing contest. Also, just because Georgetown lost it doesn't mean they were necessarily facing a calibre of team they will face in the states.
No posts exist for this topic
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

MadMartin8 wrote: just because Georgetown lost it doesn't mean they were necessarily facing a calibre of team they will face in the states.
Nor does it mean that GTown (or anyone else on a preseason tour) played their best players. Many 'young' teams still have to figure out chemistry, who plays better together, and so they try dozens of lineups and personnel packages, to see what sort of team they could potentially become.

I would not surprised if they do play pickup teams, let's say they want to see how they fare against a twin tower team, or a team with a big low post presence, or a team with four shooting guards, or teams similar to those they expect to play in their schedule.

I would rather scrimmage against 'scout' teams to get ready for the season, than just scrimmage for playing time sake.

(Edit) and let's say your whole focus in one game/scrimmage is just challenging your defense against a multitude of offensive sets, and not on your own offense, and your own score doesn't matter for this scrimmage, to hold an explosive team to under 75 points may be a huge win, no matter what you yourself scored...
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

MadMartin8 wrote:
Uffda wrote:

Nope not me.. I Ain't starting no pissing contest. :) :shock: :roll: was just making a comment.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

Watching the games in Spain it appears NU got some good ones for the future. McVeigh, Watson, Morrow all look like potential impact players down the road. McVeigh surprised me in that he is more athletic than I thought he would be. He may struggle some this year on defense getting use to the American game. Watson looks like he will be a great floor general. Has a solid mid range game. If he can develop an outside shot he will be tough to guard. Morrow is an A++ athlete. We have not had a guy like him in awhile that can play above the rim. Scary to think he didn't start lifting weights until he stepped foot on campus. All 3 will be expected to play quite a few minutes this year I would imagine.Which probably means a lot of ups and downs this year. Big Ten play could be rough again. But with those 3 along with Roby(top 100)and Arop on the commitment list I like the way the future looks.
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I noticed BYU played most of the same opponents, and steamrolled them (BTW, I'm a Husker fan first, Creighton second).
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Huskerbaseball13
Home Owners Association

Stargazer wrote:I noticed BYU played most of the same opponents, and steamrolled them (BTW, I'm a Husker fan first, Creighton second).
NU-79
Casvi-64

NU-66
Albacete-63

NU-106
EBA-73

BYU-95
Casvi-74

BYU-75
Albacete-52

BYU-102
EBA-74

Not a huge difference outside of the Albacete game in which BYU was tied at half and pulled away in the second half. Main difference appears that BYU has made far more three pointers. NU seemed to struggle with the different three point line and the FIBA traveling rules.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Like NU's home conference schedule with Maryland and Indiana both coming to the Vault. The schedule as a whole is about as favorable as you can get since our home and home foes are near the bottom, with them being Northwestern, Penn State and Rutgers.

Almost looking as forward to basketball as I am footoball. Plus volleyball is close too.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

NU Season tickets almost sold out again:

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/m ... d3854.html
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Still wondering if they are ever going to raise their ticket prices. Creighton's upper bowl tickets are $210 while NE is only $114. Pretty cheap considering the caliber of their opponents in Big 10 play.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It is a great deal. NU does not have to price what CU does because they negotiated a piece of the concessions. The $114 is one for the top deck, not the 2nd one, where the Clink just has the 2 levels of seats. It is a fantastic deal.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Good article on NU ticket sales. Love to see the student support:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfknecht ... 6121c.html

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

NU's KC pipeline continues, a top 150 recruit just announced for the Huskers:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/huskers-la ... ccb12.html
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:NU's KC pipeline continues, a top 150 recruit just announced for the Huskers:

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/huskers-la ... ccb12.html

This is a good addition.

If I understand correctly there is one spot left in this class and they may hold off on filling it.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I imagine if they have one spot left they are looking to fill it with a big man.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:I imagine if they have one spot left they are looking to fill it with a big man.

Greg

That is sure a need.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

"Aleks Maric is god"
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Coyote wrote:"Aleks Maric is god"

What religion do you worship? :lol:
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

It's never a good sign for NU football when you hear NU football fans talking about how anxious they are for basketball season to begin. Especially when early October.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Greg S wrote:It's never a good sign for NU football when you hear NU football fans talking about how anxious they are for basketball season to begin. Especially when early October.

Greg
Agree with this. Seeing and hearing a lot more VB coverage too but that is deserved.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Me too. Loved the comeback at Penn State. Wonder if they were a little hung over from that when losing the next night to Ohio State.

Greg
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Might have been, but they took a ranked OSU team to the 5th...