Nebraska Football 2016

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Busguy2010
County Board

Re: Nebraska Football 2016

Post by Busguy2010 »

The score certainly didn't reflect the performance today. If they can't settle down and tighten up, next week will be rough for them.

My prediction for next week is Nebraska 24-21.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

If you can't come out of the gate and start actually playing before the 4th quarter, you'll be down 49 to 0 before you can say "Oh |expletive|".
No posts exist for this topic
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

According to some people, Oregon's defense isn't all that great. They've allowed 20 or more points in their last 2 games. Apparently Mark Helfrich's job as head coach is on the line up there. A loss to Nebraska might mean the end of his tenure. So this game is big for both teams.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

Nebraska is favored by 2 points even though Rocko knows that everyone will be betting on Oregon. That does not bode well for Oregon. We all know the bookies almost always win. Personally my common sense knows that Nebraska will fall flat on its face in front of a real football team but since the bookies like Nebraska which makes no sense, I think Nebraska will win this.
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:Nebraska is favored by 2 points even though Rocko knows that everyone will be betting on Oregon. That does not bode well for Oregon. We all know the bookies almost always win. Personally my common sense knows that Nebraska will fall flat on its face in front of a real football team but since the bookies like Nebraska which makes no sense, I think Nebraska will win this.
You have been around long enough to know how this works. Bookies make money on the Vig. The fee they get paid to handle the bets. They want the same any of cash on each side. Bunch of emotional betters bet for the Huskers. The bookies set the spread so that it is not cartoonish, but also not likely to be made. The saps bet on the Huskers and even if they win, they rarely have to payout.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

mrsticka wrote:According to some people, Oregon's defense isn't all that great. They've allowed 20 or more points in their last 2 games. Apparently Mark Helfrich's job as head coach is on the line up there. A loss to Nebraska might mean the end of his tenure. So this game is big for both teams.
That defense that isn't so great is looking pretty okay so far.

Edit: looks like Nebby's OC may have pulled his head out finally?
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Good gutsy win for the Huskers, glad to beat Phil Knight
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Nebraska's final touchdown happened too quickly and left enough time on the clock for Oregon to do something, only being down by 3. But it all worked out in the end.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

On that last play on 4th and 18, I was afraid Oregon would go for a Hail Mary. But luckily, they weren't able to. After the game, I saw a bunch of red as I walked home from Coop's Corner (formerly Randy's). Lots of people were wearing Husker shirts. Usually, whenever Nebraska wins, I don't see as many people wearing red like I did today. I bet the whole state's wearing red now, including Omaha.
GRANDPASMUCKER
Human Relations

Post by GRANDPASMUCKER »

What a great game that was. Tommy Armstrong won the game with that big run at the end but the game ball has to go to coach Riley. What a welcome relief it was to see Nebraska on a national stage being represented by such a good sportsman. We are so much better off then we were 2 years ago in the coaching department. Bo Pelini cussing and ranting at players and officials was an absolute embarrassment and disgusting to watch and we miss him like a hole in the head! Now if only coach Riley could coach Tommy up on the art of having "touch" to his throws. Tommy's passes are too often rockets that are extremely hard to catch. Even if the pass is only 10 or 15 feet he still throws it 100 miles an hour. Tommy's accuracy and decision making yesterday were improving but the speed at which he was throwing many of those passes was ridiculous.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

GRANDPASMUCKER wrote:What a great game that was. Tommy Armstrong won the game with that big run at the end but the game ball has to go to coach Riley. What a welcome relief it was to see Nebraska on a national stage being represented by such a good sportsman. We are so much better off then we were 2 years ago in the coaching department. Bo Pelini cussing and ranting at players and officials was an absolute embarrassment and disgusting to watch and we miss him like a hole in the head!
Now this is something I never thought I'd say- I agree with you 100% :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

Ditto to Lou... although the assessment on Tommy's passing is inaccurate. He definitely has a problem throwing short passes, but it's not because he's throwing 'rockets'.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Stargazer wrote:Ditto to Lou... although the assessment on Tommy's passing is inaccurate. He definitely has a problem throwing short passes, but it's not because he's throwing 'rockets'.
Ditto...

We know Tommy has a rocket arm, but he has yet to master those touch passes. He certainly showed his guts, getting an IV on the sideline, but why did he get so dehydrated In the first place? It was football weather. It was nice to see passes to the TE, I hope we see that more. And it was refreshing to see coaches on the sideline with proper demeanor. Riley finally got the Duck off his back!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (93.05 KiB) Viewed 1857 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (84.42 KiB) Viewed 1851 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Ditto's all around :) ..

And Nebraska ranked 20th.. It's been a long time coming and after yesterday, they certainly deserve it :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Omaha Cowboy wrote:Ditto's all around :) ..

And Nebraska ranked 20th.. It's been a long time coming and after yesterday, they certainly deserve it :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace

631 day
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Nebraska beat Northwestern 24-13. They had a somewhat sloppy start with those 2 turnovers in the end zone.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

The score wasn't reflective of Nebraska's offensive performance - especially rushing yards. They'll be playing at Wisconsin in a month. Wisconsin (#11) took out higher ranked Michigan State (#8) today 30-6. I didn't watch the game, but Wisconsin's defense from highlights looks pretty good. Assuming no hiccups beforehand, Wisconsin may be a major challenge.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

jessep28 wrote:The score wasn't reflective of Nebraska's offensive performance - especially rushing yards. They'll be playing at Wisconsin in a month. Wisconsin (#11) took out higher ranked Michigan State (#8) today 30-6. I didn't watch the game, but Wisconsin's defense from highlights looks pretty good. Assuming no hiccups beforehand, Wisconsin may be a major challenge.
As will Ohio State. Those are the 2 games I'm worried about. I'm afraid they'll both utterly humiliate Nebraska.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

mrsticka wrote:
jessep28 wrote:The score wasn't reflective of Nebraska's offensive performance - especially rushing yards. They'll be playing at Wisconsin in a month. Wisconsin (#11) took out higher ranked Michigan State (#8) today 30-6. I didn't watch the game, but Wisconsin's defense from highlights looks pretty good. Assuming no hiccups beforehand, Wisconsin may be a major challenge.
As will Ohio State. Those are the 2 games I'm worried about. I'm afraid they'll both utterly humiliate Nebraska.
Ohio State might, but Wisconsin won't humiliate. Well, unless Nebraska commits a inordinate amount of turnovers.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Wisconsin has a red-shirt Freshman Quarterback, Alex Hornibrook. While he has played well so far, he still is a freshman. A good defense will rattle him.
iamjacobm
City Council

Post by iamjacobm »

Wisconsin has a brutal schedule leading up to the game against Nebraska too. They might be pretty beat up.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

iamjacobm wrote:Wisconsin has a brutal schedule leading up to the game against Nebraska too. They might be pretty beat up.
@ Michigan St
@ Michigan
vs Ohio St
@ Iowa
vs Nebraska
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (91.87 KiB) Viewed 1685 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (89.72 KiB) Viewed 1675 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Nice jump in the polls to 15th :thumb: ...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Coyote wrote:
iamjacobm wrote:Wisconsin has a brutal schedule leading up to the game against Nebraska too. They might be pretty beat up.
@ Michigan St
@ Michigan
vs Ohio St
@ Iowa
vs Nebraska
Wisconsin destroyed Michigan State. Michigan will probably destroy them and Ohio State more than likely will, too.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Coyote wrote:
@ Michigan St
@ Michigan
vs Ohio St
@ Iowa
vs Nebraska
This is good. Even if Wisconsin loses to Michigan and Ohio State, should they do it competitively, they will still be ranked fairly high when Nebraska meets them. Hopefully Nebraska can pull off something crazy.

This could be an exciting October and November. It seems as long as Wisconsin is competitive and Nebraska stays in the mix, and Ohio State and Michigan keep it together, we could be looking at the Big 10 championship as a play in game for any of these 4 schools.
thenewguy
County Board

Post by thenewguy »

Coyote wrote:Wisconsin has a red-shirt Freshman Quarterback, Alex Hornibrook. While he has played well so far, he still is a freshman. A good defense will rattle him.

Michigan state's defense is not a poor defense...
Go Cubs Go
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Nebraska did it again. They beat Illinois 31-16. They were a 4th quarter team again.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (85.72 KiB) Viewed 1480 times
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (91.85 KiB) Viewed 1467 times
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Nebraska's 12 now? Great. I see Michigan State is no longer ranked thanks to Indiana's upset over them in overtime. I guess this means Michigan State's back-to-back Big Ten Championship hopes are for all intents and purposes gone.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

mrsticka wrote:Nebraska's 12 now? Great. I see Michigan State is no longer ranked thanks to Indiana's upset over them in overtime. I guess this means Michigan State's back-to-back Big Ten Championship hopes are for all intents and purposes gone.

Not yet. They still have Ohio St and Michigan on their schedule to hand a loss to, but let's say their road is now very difficult and need a lot of help...
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (68.46 KiB) Viewed 1454 times
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Good to see a nice, steady rise in the polls for NU. The bye week couldn't come at a better time.. need to get the wounded healed up...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

The last time Nebraska went 5-0 was 2014 and the finished 9-4.

The last time Nebraska started 6-0 was 2001 and was competing for a national championship.

Here's to keeping this momentum going!
Stargazer
County Board

Post by Stargazer »

I'm thinking we finish regular season 9-3 at best. I'm impressed with their gutsy wins, but we haven't played anybody yet. Indiana could be the best team we've played thus far, and they may be the worst remaining outside of Purdue.

I think we most likely drop Wisconsin and Ohio State, and likely at LEAST one other game.

All this said, I think even 8-4 would be a step in the right direction. Anything less, begins to be a little disappointing, although I'll be a little happier if we at least avoid any Pelini style blowouts.
Shoot for the Moon... if you miss, you'll land among the stars.
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

Stargazer wrote:I'm thinking we finish regular season 9-3 at best. I'm impressed with their gutsy wins, but we haven't played anybody yet. Indiana could be the best team we've played thus far, and they may be the worst remaining outside of Purdue.

I think we most likely drop Wisconsin and Ohio State, and likely at LEAST one other game.

All this said, I think even 8-4 would be a step in the right direction. Anything less, begins to be a little disappointing, although I'll be a little happier if we at least avoid any Pelini style blowouts.
I think we compete with Wisconsin. Big ten west champions is not entirely out of the question this year seeing the way the rest of the west has performed.

Realistically they should be a two loss team this year... But you never know, they could surprise us all.