Franks Pizza (Multiple Locations???)

Omaha's dining, arts and music scene

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Franks Pizza (Multiple Locations???)

Post by Guest »

I'm hearing that Franks Pizza on 13 2nd and dodge has sold to an out of state family. No word yet on if they will retain the name and recipes.

Shame. Amazing pizza
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Re: Franks Pizza selling to an Arizona family?

Post by bigredmed »

Accurate New York pizza. Can't say I liked it as much as Omaha style pizza, but I can say that it was just like the pizza I ate in Manhattan.
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

What's Omaha style pizza?
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Louie wrote:What's Omaha style pizza?
Never heard of it. Hopefully if it does sell they keep the pizza the same, love that place.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Louie wrote:What's Omaha style pizza?
I am guessing the Mama's / Sortino's / Big Fred's style pizza?
bigredmed
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed »

Omaha pizza is a derivative of NY style, thicker crust. Available in the old school pizza places that derived from it's origin at Caniglia's.
jessep28
Planning Board

Post by jessep28 »

Maybe Hyok Kim will come back from sabbatical and clear up any pizza confusion.
Verbum Domini Manet in Aeternum
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Not sure when his orbit is next scheduled to swing by Earth.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

The owner was just on a recent TV report about fraudulent phone calls seeking over the phone payments.

Food was good, but pricey.
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

I was just there last night for dinner, and Frank was there... Didn't get a chance to ask him though.
Brad
City Council

Re: Franks Pizza (Multiple Locations???)

Post by Brad »

What's the status of Frank's Pizza? Are all the locations closed?

Did they have 4 at one time?
West Dodge
Capitol District
Ralston
Bellevue
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I know that the Capitol District is closed. I just saw a post on the Alley's page on Facebook, 4 days ago that they are cooking Franks pizza there. According to their website, you can order it right now:
https://thealleybellevue.com/franks-pizzeria/

I just don't get it. They closed temporarily in Jan and said new ownership, but they have missed out on a ton of concert, state wrestling, Creighton games and soon to be March madness.
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Re: Frank's Pizzeria (Multiple Locations)

Post by ChadJK »

I guess I missed the memo that Frank's was closing at all (temporarily or permanently).

I know their website and Facebook page seem to have been taken down. I've not driven by any of their physical locations yet.
Steve.Kucirek
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Steve.Kucirek »

skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 2:51 pm I know that the Capitol District is closed. I just saw a post on the Alley's page on Facebook, 4 days ago that they are cooking Franks pizza there. According to their website, you can order it right now:
https://thealleybellevue.com/franks-pizzeria/

I just don't get it. They closed temporarily in Jan and said new ownership, but they have missed out on a ton of concert, state wrestling, Creighton games and soon to be March madness.
The new owners are waiting to hear back from the landlords to accept their offer before the locations can reopen unfortunately. So, at this point, the delay is being caused the landlord who owns the space where the Frank's Pizzeria locations are at.
swgiust
Library Board

Post by swgiust »

Wow, I would think negotiating with the landlord would be done before you buy a business.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

It sounds like they have their answer from the landlord on what they proposed.

The landlord had terms in place, and if you bought the business and thus took over the lease, you are still under those terms. One can ask for or propose changes, but without seeing the fine print and assuming the lease was properly transferred, you would still be bound by the existing lease. I cannot imagine why you would buy a business and intend to stay at the same location without accepting and understanding the lease.

With limited info here I am not sure you can blame this on the landlord
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

nebugeater wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:43 am It sounds like they have their answer from the landlord on what they proposed.

The landlord had terms in place, and if you bought the business and thus took over the lease, you are still under those terms. One can ask for or propose changes, but without seeing the fine print and assuming the lease was properly transferred, you would still be bound by the existing lease. I cannot imagine why you would buy a business and intend to stay at the same location without accepting and understanding the lease.

It's all on the new business owners - you can't acquire an existing business (or businesses) and not know you'll be expected to abide by terms already in place for those locations. They could have signed new leases within the past 12 months for another 5-10 years for each store. Just because they don't like the terms doesn't mean the landlord needs to make accommodations.

They either purchased the stores for next to nothing or know next to nothing about buying existing business locations.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

djc311 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:20 am
nebugeater wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 6:43 am It sounds like they have their answer from the landlord on what they proposed.

It's all on the new business owners - you can't acquire an existing business (or businesses) and not know you'll be expected to abide by terms already in place for those locations. They could have signed new leases within the past 12 months for another 5-10 years for each store. Just because they don't like the terms doesn't mean the landlord needs to make accommodations.

They either purchased the stores for next to nothing or know next to nothing about buying existing business locations.
Thnks we are saying the same thing.
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

nebugeater wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:24 am
djc311 wrote: Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:20 am

Thnks we are saying the same thing.
😉
Ben
Human Relations

Post by Ben »

Frank’s Ralston has construction workers onsite and a “dumpling empire coming soon” sign, so at the very least that location isn’t coming back..
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Re: Frank's Pizza (Multiple Locations)

Post by ChadJK »

Ben wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 4:37 pm Frank’s Ralston has construction workers onsite and a “dumpling empire coming soon” sign, so at the very least that location isn’t coming back..
I stopped in there a couple of times for weekday lunches. Their lunch crowd was never very impressive. I remember being a little concerned about their viability, but thought perhaps their dinner business was much better and that was carrying them. I guess not.
Last edited by ChadJK on Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

where was the ralston location at?
ChadJK
Parks & Recreation

Post by ChadJK »

skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:49 am where was the ralston location at?
In Main Street Plaza just south of 72nd & Q on the east side of 72nd. (So, I suppose, not technically Ralston.)

5413 S 72nd St, Omaha, NE 68127
Last edited by ChadJK on Mon Mar 11, 2024 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

ChadJK wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:07 am
skinzfan23 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:49 am where was the ralston location at?
In Main Street Plaza just south of 72nd & Q on the east side of 72nd.

5413 S 72nd St, Omaha, NE 68127
It's in the same strip mall as Off the Bench (hockey and lacrosse store) and there's a Scooters in the parking lot.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

From Frank's Pizzeria Facebook page posted late Tue night

https://www.facebook.com/FranksPizzeria

Hey Friends,
Apologies for being rather quiet - we were hoping to make an announcement sooner.
At this time, Frank's Pizzeria at Frank's Pizzeria - Capitol District in downtown Omaha is hopefully preparing to open within the coming weeks. We have submitted a formal offer to the landlord in hopes of getting the store open ASAP. Once a deal is struck, we expect the store to be up and operating within 2-3 weeks.
Unfortunately, at this time, we have chosen to not reopen the location at 711 N 132nd St. We certainly hope that this is not forever. We desire to reopen a store location in West Omaha in the future once a more suitable location has been found, and we have the equipment available to reopen.
In the meantime, you can enjoy most of the Frank's Pizzeria menu, and more, at The Alley in Bellevue at 601 Chateau Dr Bellevue, NE 68005.
We look forward to serving you in downtown Omaha soon!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Still sucks for them to miss out on the March Madness crowd, that is going to be next week and they are going to open in 2-3 weeks at the earliest.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:24 am Still sucks for them to miss out on the March Madness crowd, that is going to be next week and they are going to open in 2-3 weeks at the earliest.
With the statement "We have submitted a formal offer," I would be suspect of them opening any time soon, if at all
djc311
Parks & Recreation

Post by djc311 »

nebugeater wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:27 am
skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Mar 13, 2024 8:24 am Still sucks for them to miss out on the March Madness crowd, that is going to be next week and they are going to open in 2-3 weeks at the earliest.
With the statement "We have submitted a formal offer," I would be suspect of them opening any time soon, if at all
Samesies... hate to be a pessimist, but if they couldn't negotiate terms on existing stores, what's to say they're going to be able to open a new location. I'm still confused as to how this even materialized as it seems someone mentioned the stores were purchased and then the new owners attempted to renegotiate terms on existing leases that were already in place. It doesn't typically work that way. And in this case my assumption would have to be they tried to lower their rent(s).
nativeomahan
County Board

Post by nativeomahan »

Dead restaurant (no longer) walking.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Frank's slipped when Joe (original owner) sold it years ago. 2016/2017.
Steve.Kucirek
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Steve.Kucirek »

Hey there, just providing some brief insight because there seems to be several bits of misinformation from a few different people in this thread... and some other sites really.

Nebugeaster, you are correct that if a new operator takes over a business with an existing lease... then that operator may be obligated to operate under the terms of the existing lease. However, in the case of the Frank's Pizzeria at the downtown location, an entirely new lease has been negotiated. A Letter of Intent (LOI) was requested by the landlord with these new terms, and that LOI has been signed and formally submitted by the incoming tenants. The terms of the new lease should be finalized any day now.

While I am not blaming the landlord in any way... the landlord has been rather slow in their responses to the LOI and to the lease proposals. All parties involved had expected this process to be completed and the store already opened by mid-March. However, as I stated, lease terms have been largely negotiated but the landlord has been somewhat slow in their responses.

The Ralston is permanently closed, but there may be some upcoming news with the West Omaha location.

bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Steve.Kucirek wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:06 am Hey there, just providing some brief insight because there seems to be several bits of misinformation from a few different people in this thread... and some other sites really.

Nebugeaster, you are correct that if a new operator takes over a business with an existing lease... then that operator may be obligated to operate under the terms of the existing lease. However, in the case of the Frank's Pizzeria at the downtown location, an entirely new lease has been negotiated. A Letter of Intent (LOI) was requested by the landlord with these new terms, and that LOI has been signed and formally submitted by the incoming tenants. The terms of the new lease should be finalized any day now.

While I am not blaming the landlord in any way... the landlord has been rather slow in their responses to the LOI and to the lease proposals. All parties involved had expected this process to be completed and the store already opened by mid-March. However, as I stated, lease terms have been largely negotiated but the landlord has been somewhat slow in their responses.

The Ralston is permanently closed, but there may be some upcoming news with the West Omaha location.

Lack of transparency with the public isn't helping their reputation.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Steve.Kucirek wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:06 am Hey there, just providing some brief insight because there seems to be several bits of misinformation from a few different people in this thread... and some other sites really.

IMO, it is poor planning at best if the lease / new lease is not in place before you close on buying the business. Don't blame the delays on the landlord, who has no obligation, unless specified in the existing lease, to expedite any modifications.
Steve.Kucirek
New to the Neighborhood

Post by Steve.Kucirek »

And you may be right IF a business was purchased prior to executing the lease...

But again, there are some details missing here that I cannot go into at this time.
nebugeater wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:40 am

IMO, it is poor planning at best if the lease / new lease is not in place before you close on buying the business. Don't blame the delays on the landlord, who has no obligation, unless specified in the existing lease, to expedite any modifications.
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Regardless, if facts cannot be shared, and I get that, the optics are terrible.

Steve.Kucirek wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:19 am And you may be right IF a business was purchased prior to executing the lease...

But again, there are some details missing here that I cannot go into at this time.
nebugeater wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:40 am