NE Corner of 72nd & Pacific

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

NE Corner of 72nd & Pacific

Post by Guest »

Core samples were being drilled Monday in the Kum and go and strip mall on 72 and Pacific.
iamjacobm
City Council

Re: NE Corner of 72nd & Pacific

Post by iamjacobm »

Guest wrote:Core samples were being drilled Monday in the Kum and go and strip mall on 72 and Pacific.
Heard they will do a tear down and rebuild. It sounded like some of the strip mall behind might go away, but that was less clear.
Coyote
City Council

Re: Venice Inn is Closing

Post by Coyote »

nativeomahan wrote:One rumor I heard this week...totally unconfirmed...is that CVS will build on the NE corner of 72nd and Pacific, where the Kum & Go and adjacent strip center are now. Clancy's would relocate to the Venice Inn site. The existing building seems much too large, so either the rumor has no legs or the Venice Inn building has no future.
A Site Plan for this corner was just submitted to the city.
choke
Human Relations

Re: Venice Inn is Closing

Post by choke »

Coyote wrote:
nativeomahan wrote:One rumor I heard this week...totally unconfirmed...is that CVS will build on the NE corner of 72nd and Pacific, where the Kum & Go and adjacent strip center are now. Clancy's would relocate to the Venice Inn site. The existing building seems much too large, so either the rumor has no legs or the Venice Inn building has no future.
A Site Plan for this corner was just submitted to the city.

For who? Last I had heard, Legends was going to build there?
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

choke wrote:
Coyote wrote:A Site Plan for this corner was just submitted to the city.
For who? Last I had heard, Legends was going to build there?
Don't know yet... We will see.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Appears to be owned by Broncos Land Co. which is owned by Michael Kelley... who owns Clancy's...
ThatGuy
Human Relations

Post by ThatGuy »

He sold Clancy's a year or two ago.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Official: Broncos Land Co, DBA as Kum & Go will be rebuilding here, with a large parking lot.
bbinks
Parks & Recreation

Post by bbinks »

Coyote wrote:Official: Broncos Land Co, DBA as Kum & Go will be rebuilding here, with a large parking lot.
I had thought that Broncos Lad Co was the owner of what used to be the Broncos there, and that they had just kept the land and leased to the Runza.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:Official: Broncos Land Co, DBA as Kum & Go will be rebuilding here, with a large parking lot.
Are they going to use the existing footprint to rebuild? There doesn't seem to be much space there. That building needed to be torn down a long time ago....looks nothing like the other current Kum and Gos.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Listed as a new building. Mike Kelley owns both of these parcels:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (103.09 KiB) Viewed 5864 times
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

At 72nd & Pacific in Omaha, Clancy’s Pub will go and Kum & Go will grow
Omaha’s original Clancy’s Pub and a few other businesses will be leaving their longtime spots at 72nd and Pacific Streets to make way for a new and bigger Kum & Go convenience store.

Reconfiguration of that northeast corner, expected sometime in 2018, comes as Kum & Go has purchased the real estate cluster that includes a commercial strip and the current Kum & Go gas station.

Kum & Go spokeswoman Kristie Bell said a new “Marketplace” prototype and fueling station will rise on the site — featuring a 6,200-square-foot store with a kitchen that offers made-to-order sandwiches, salads and pizza, free Wi-Fi and indoor and outdoor seating.

Currently at the corner sits a smaller, 1,800-square-foot Kum & Go gas station with a limited food selection. It will be torn down, along with the L-shaped commercial center behind it that contains the Clancy’s, a Cash Depot and law offices.

Also on the property that was sold is a structure that houses a Runza restaurant tenant. The Runza will remain, Bell said.

We have discussed this before but gas station/convenience stores are a big business. Just look at how many Bucky's have been updated in the past few years. Also the QT on 72nd and now this Kum and Go. I can say that this update on the corner is long overdue. Just sad to see Clancy's go.

Still haven't seen any movement to the east on Pacific where the old Venice Inn was.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I grew up a few blocks from there. Hate to see Clancy's go as well. Used to go there a lot with my Dad on Monday's for steak and Thursdays for Prime Rib.

That being said, I can definitely see why Kum and Go is anxious to build a new store. The current one is one of their works and with QT rebuilding up the street, they had to go big or go home. I do like the little outdoor area on the right in the drawing. Nice touch.

Greg
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

My favorite part of that article, the story about Broncos.
Kelley recalled a time when his dad, fed up with fast-rising costs of potatoes, transformed a room in the convenience store to a storage place for Bronco’s french fries. (He struck a cheaper deal with a farmer who would bring the potatoes to town.
)

Love Bronco's fries!
Busguy2010
County Board

Post by Busguy2010 »

They will probably get my business purely because they are on the east side. Turning left onto Hickory for QT can be frustrating at times. I appreciate how Kum & Go tends to be more low key as well. As for Bucky's, the car wash is a good part of why I go there from time to time.

I will second Bronco's fries. The flavor is different, and somehow, the noodly texture is actually something I like about them. I do wonder what kind of fat they cook them in.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Legends should begin construction on the old Venice In. Site within a couple weeks now.
hatwate
Library Board

Post by hatwate »

Update on Kum & Go in this article about Clancy's. http://www.omaha.com/money/clancy-s-pub ... 699a3.html
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Spray paint on Clancy's reminding people that March 17th is their last day. Demolition should start shortly after that.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote:Spray paint on Clancy's reminding people that March 17th is their last day. Demolition should start shortly after that.
Haha...I saw that on Tuesday. Looks kinda tacky, but considering they are going to demo the building, it probably doesn't matter much.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Coyote wrote:Spray paint on Clancy's reminding people that March 17th is their last day. Demolition should start shortly after that.
I saw that as I drove past when I left work yesterday afternoon.. One last St Patrick’s Day pub crawl for the old location...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
OmahaJaysCU
Planning Board

Post by OmahaJaysCU »

Place can't get torn down fast enough in my opinion. I've never once had a good experience at that Clancys. Their service isn't the absolute worst. Far cry from 168th.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

This Kum & Go is closed now and the signs say construction is to begin soon. I was told the Kum & Go on 82nd and Maple and on 108th by Old Mill have been sold to White Oak Stores and will close on Monday. The stores will re-open shortly after all the signage has been changed.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Nice new store. Those new "Kum N Go" gas stations usually look nice -- like Buckys and Quick trip. No surprise it's stucco. Along Dodge & Pacific, if a new business goes in, or there's a new remodel, it's always, always stucco -- it seems. There's too much of a commercial designer choice of "stucco & a flat roof" in Omaha, imo. It lacks warmth and a solid feel that shingles & bricks/stone brings. Too much of that around feels cold and inexpensive -- or something. (Out in cities of the SW, a lot of stucco is used, but mostly always heavy, terra cotta Spanish tile is involved -- bringing that warmth & a heavy, solid feel.) Why does "Omaha By Design" allow so much of that commercial combo? I dont think of Omaha as some chintzy-looking town on the prairie, but it can look more that way than Kansas City does to me sometimes.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Demolition has begun. They are working on the gas pumps right now.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Fence going up around the property.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Fuel tanks are now in, and Clancy signs are removed. Demo should start soon.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

They started demo this morning, it is half gone.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

There are one of these large Kum & Go stores along I-80 just West of Des Moines. It has a sit down eating area inside the gas station for their prepared food and some outdoor tables. In the sit down area it has a small station with beer taps where an employee can serve beer. It seems like a strange idea for a roadside gas station. Overall it is just a nice convenience store nothing particularly revolutionary.
RockHarbor
Planning Board

Post by RockHarbor »

Joe_Sovereign wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 3:37 pm There are one of these large Kum & Go stores along I-80 just West of Des Moines. It has a sit down eating area inside the gas station for their prepared food and some outdoor tables. In the sit down area it has a small station with beer taps where an employee can serve beer. It seems like a strange idea for a roadside gas station. Overall it is just a nice convenience store nothing particularly revolutionary.
I have to say, though, I do like the "pizza kitchen" aspect they are adding to gas stations now. Makes it a little more fun...and convenient. I think Quick Trip maybe started the trend.
I can get pushed out because I'm "too much" for some. Then, an observer of me comes suddenly swooping in to "fill my shoes." People are always more accepting of the new one, because their feathers aren't truly ruffled by them. (Yawn) I can count on it every time.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

They are hauling |expletive| on this lot. Sort of interesting they left the billboard up I’m guessing they’re going to just build around it. Shouldn’t this be in the Urban Omaha section? Lol
15-17, 26, 32
garyomaha
Home Owners Association

Post by garyomaha »

MTO wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:02 pm Shouldn’t this be in the Urban Omaha section? Lol
That's my kind of nit-picking! Love it! :lol:
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

garyomaha wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:10 pm
MTO wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 1:02 pm Shouldn’t this be in the Urban Omaha section? Lol
Pretty standard suburban arterial intersection:
Louie
County Board

Post by Louie »

Dundeemaha wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 10:55 am
garyomaha wrote: Wed May 16, 2018 3:10 pm
Pretty standard suburban arterial intersection:
While true, the defining statement for the Urban Omaha subforum was 'all things east of 72nd.' So technically this Kum n Go falls under that.
Admin
Law Enforcement

Post by Admin »

Technically correct according to our definitions. So moved.
GrandpaaSmucker
Parks & Recreation

Post by GrandpaaSmucker »

Kum & Go on 72nd & Pacific opened back up again today. Someone take a hammer to my head for being so lame as to find this noteworthy and then even talking about it on the internet. :hammer:
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

GrandpaaSmucker wrote: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:21 am Kum & Go on 72nd & Pacific opened back up again today. Someone take a hammer to my head for being so lame as to find this noteworthy and then even talking about it on the internet. :hammer:
Can I meet you there with my hammer? j/k

I can vouch for GP, so people won't think this is "fake news". The last few days it has looked like it was getting real close to opening real soon. The only thing left from the old Kum & Go is the huge electronic billboard hovering above the completely new store and pump canopy. Big improvement over what was there before, as much as a Kum & Go can be.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.