Pinnacle Bank Arena

Capital city news and discussion.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

blueblood
Home Owners Association

Re: Pinnacle Bank Arena

Post by blueblood »

First time to Pinnacle for me to see Pearl jam. Once you are in your seats the place is as they say a no bad seat in the house arena. She goes straight up and you are close the the action no matter where your seats are at. The praise ends there. There was absolutely no parking. Even if you are willing to pay any amount there just is no parking. There just is no excuse for it taking 30 minutes to find a place to park. Then there was the 20 minute wait for thousands in a mosh pit like line to get hand searched at the 4 open doors all in one spot. Then there are the Civic auditorium sized hallways that were unpassable as we attempted to get to one of only two bathrooms on our side of the arena. Then there is the one location drinking wristband table and the 20 person line to get a beer after it. I just don't get the absolute poor planning that city did and does. Like I said, once in your seats its great, but everything else sucked. No comparison at all to what we have at the Clink. None.
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

blueblood wrote:First time to Pinnacle for me to see Pearl jam. Once you are in your seats the place is as they say a no bad seat in the house arena. She goes straight up and you are close the the action no matter where your seats are at. The praise ends there. There was absolutely no parking. Even if you are willing to pay any amount there just is no parking. There just is no excuse for it taking 30 minutes to find a place to park. Then there was the 20 minute wait for thousands in a mosh pit like line to get hand searched at the 4 open doors all in one spot. Then there are the Civic auditorium sized hallways that were unpassable as we attempted to get to one of only two bathrooms on our side of the arena. Then there is the one location drinking wristband table and the 20 person line to get a beer after it. I just don't get the absolute poor planning that city did and does. Like I said, once in your seats its great, but everything else sucked. No comparison at all to what we have at the Clink. None.
Yeah, Lincoln really messed up by not constructing blocks of surface parking, lol. As far as the wait in line, that is due to Pearl Jam requesting for extra security checks.
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

Linkin5 wrote:
blueblood wrote:First time to Pinnacle for me to see Pearl jam. Once you are in your seats the place is as they say a no bad seat in the house arena. She goes straight up and you are close the the action no matter where your seats are at. The praise ends there. There was absolutely no parking. Even if you are willing to pay any amount there just is no parking. There just is no excuse for it taking 30 minutes to find a place to park. Then there was the 20 minute wait for thousands in a mosh pit like line to get hand searched at the 4 open doors all in one spot. Then there are the Civic auditorium sized hallways that were unpassable as we attempted to get to one of only two bathrooms on our side of the arena. Then there is the one location drinking wristband table and the 20 person line to get a beer after it. I just don't get the absolute poor planning that city did and does. Like I said, once in your seats its great, but everything else sucked. No comparison at all to what we have at the Clink. None.
Yeah, Lincoln really messed up by not constructing blocks of surface parking, lol.  As far as the wait in line, that is due to Pearl Jam requesting for extra security checks.

I do not live in Lincoln. I came in with no agenda. Super excited to See Pearl Jam and interested n Pinnacle. Its an honest opinion from a first time visitor. Like I said once you are in your seats its awesome. Most of the above can be changed. If they don't people like me might choose to go elsewhere. It took us 45 minutes to drive from Omaha. It took us longer than that to park and get inside Pinnacle. In the long run that is going to drive a lot of people away. I don't have an answer for lack of parking, just know its really bad. I have been to tons of concerts over the years. The bottleneck to get in was not Pearl Jam's fault. There were only 4 doors and thousands trying to get in them. Its not like I am the only one that was complaining. The people in line were calm but upset. Fixable. It did not need to be so difficult to get a beer. Fixable. Not sure what you do about lack of bathrooms and small hallways. People down there paid a lot for the place, constructive criticism should be welcomed.
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

Were all 4 of the parking garages full when you go there? And what about the large surface parking lot north of the arena? I work at the arena and I am usually off before the event is over and there is plenty of parking still available in the north lot even for sold out shows. Also, one thing that I love about the parking around the arena is that you can go online way ahead of the event to the Park & Go website and reserve a spot in advance. That is why the closest ones to the arena were already sold out before you arrived. In my opinion, parking is so much easier to find here than at CenturyLink/Ameritrade. I know there was more than one wristband station open. There is at least one open on each floor and most of the time (depends on the crowd) more than that but people can never seem to find them so maybe they need to make them stand out more and put up signs. We've had several events that require wristband, don't require wristband, or you get the wristbands at the stand at time of purchase and I can tell you that having the wristband tables is the best option. As for the long lines at the beer stands, yes they are outrageous, but there is not much more that can be done. There are portables located in every open spot and we also sell them in the stands so there isn't anywhere else to put them. I've had several people tell me while at work how much easier things are and how much more they enjoy PBA over Clink, but to each their own I guess. :lol:
blueblood
Home Owners Association

Post by blueblood »

Collin wrote:Were all 4 of the parking garages full when you go there? And what about the large surface parking lot north of the arena? I work at the arena and I am usually off before the event is over and there is plenty of parking still available in the north lot even for sold out shows. Also, one thing that I love about the parking around the arena is that you can go online way ahead of the event to the Park & Go website and reserve a spot in advance. That is why the closest ones to the arena were already sold out before you arrived. In my opinion, parking is so much easier to find here than at CenturyLink/Ameritrade. I know there was more than one wristband station open. There is at least one open on each floor and most of the time (depends on the crowd) more than that but people can never seem to find them so maybe they need to make them stand out more and put up signs. We've had several events that require wristband, don't require wristband, or you get the wristbands at the stand at time of purchase and I can tell you that having the wristband tables is the best option. As for the long lines at the beer stands, yes they are outrageous, but there is not much more that can be done. There are portables located in every open spot and we also sell them in the stands so there isn't anywhere else to put them. I've had several people tell me while at work how much easier things are and how much more they enjoy PBA over Clink, but to each their own I guess. :lol:

There was only one parking garage with spots. Made the mistake of waiting in long line for it and when about 5 spots from getting in it sold out. Then we were sunk. Maybe if you know the area parking is better, we do not. Maybe we missed signs pointing to parking? Are there signs pointing to parking? We saw the long line for wristbands and asked people working if there was another and they didn't know. Need two per floor in my opinion. If I owned the place and I saw 20+ people waiting in line for $10 beer I would find a way to fit in more portable stands. Free money. Pinnacle and Cink are very very different. I would imagine which one a person prefers has a lot to do if they are from Omaha or Lincoln.
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

While I have never been to PBA, I would assume there is plenty of good parking at the ballpark? And then a quick walk over the "LINCOLN" ped bridge?
Collin
Home Owners Association

Post by Collin »

blueblood wrote:
There was only one parking garage with spots. Made the mistake of waiting in long line for it and when about 5 spots from getting in it sold out. Then we were sunk. Maybe if you know the area parking is better, we do not. Maybe we missed signs pointing to parking? Are there signs pointing to parking? We saw the long line for wristbands and asked people working if there was another and they didn't know.  Need two per floor in my opinion. If I owned the place and I saw 20+ people waiting in line for $10 beer I would find a way to fit in more portable stands. Free money.  Pinnacle and Cink are very very different. I would imagine which one a person prefers has a lot to do if they are from Omaha or Lincoln.
Yeah if I hadn't been here before or didn't know you could reserve in advance I would probably think it was terrible too. Especially since if you get to the garages and find they are all sold out and want to go to the north lot, you have to take a almost 10 minute drive getting out of the Haymaket area and going across the O Street bridge because the railroad tracks. Yeah, communication could be better about the wristbands. People come up all the time and ask us where to get wristband and most of the time we don't know because they don't always tell us where they are. There are for sure ones by both the entrances but beyond that they move the other ones around I believe.
Brad wrote:While I have never been to PBA, I would assume there is plenty of good parking at the ballpark?  And then a quick walk over the "LINCOLN" ped bridge?
Yep, if festival lot is full then that would be the next good option. There's no way they've ever filled both of those lots for a BPA event.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Parking is going to be bad with a large event in a tight quartered area, always. It's the tradeoff that you get when you have an ice rink, a couple of restaurants and a housing development right next to the arena rather than a sea of parking for a CWS like event. One provides you some neat things to go to and eat some pizza after getting high at Pearl Jam, others allow you to get in and get the heck home after getting high watching Pearl Jam. If you think parking around the PBA is bad, try going to a Red Wings game at Joe Louis in Detroit. Wowza.

A friend of mine and his girlfriend came in from out of town for the concert, and they apparently didn't have a problem parking. They did, however, say the concourses were terribly cramped, and that the nosebleeds are really truly nosebleeds due to the way the seats go up up up.. But they said the sound was very good. Again, tradeoffs I suppose?
I've had several people tell me while at work how much easier things are and how much more they enjoy PBA over Clink, but to each their own I guess.
If they're from or have an attachment to Lincoln they prefer the PBA, and if they're from Omaha they prefer the CLink. Two different arenas that do they same job well enough, because plenty of acts come into both. It's a big ole glass of "whatever, doesn't matter".

That said, I prefer both the PBA and CLink to the Sprint Center. Barfo.
No posts exist for this topic
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Brad wrote:While I have never been to PBA, I would assume there is plenty of good parking at the ballpark?  And then a quick walk over the "LINCOLN" ped bridge?
There is a TON, also Lincoln probably has more available parking garages than any city per capita, it is ridiculous.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

MadMartin8 wrote:Parking is going to be bad with a large event in a tight quartered area, always. It's the tradeoff that you get when you have an ice rink, a couple of restaurants and a housing development right next to the arena rather than a sea of parking for a CWS like event. One provides you some neat things to go to and eat some pizza after getting high at Pearl Jam, others allow you to get in and get the heck home after getting high watching Pearl Jam. If you think parking around the PBA is bad, try going to a Red Wings game at Joe Louis in Detroit. Wowza.

A friend of mine and his girlfriend came in from out of town for the concert, and they apparently didn't have a problem parking. They did, however, say the concourses were terribly cramped, and that the nosebleeds are really truly nosebleeds due to the way the seats go up up up.. But they said the sound was very good. Again, tradeoffs I suppose?
I've had several people tell me while at work how much easier things are and how much more they enjoy PBA over Clink, but to each their own I guess.
If they're from or have an attachment to Lincoln they prefer the PBA, and if they're from Omaha they prefer the CLink. Two different arenas that do they same job well enough, because plenty of acts come into both. It's a big ole glass of "whatever, doesn't matter".

That said, I prefer both the PBA and CLink to the Sprint Center. Barfo.
All three buildings are nice. One think I really like about PBA and Sprint are the areas immediately around it. PBA did a nice job opening with tons of restaurants and bars immediately outside it's doors and Sprint of course has the standard, Power and Light. The Clink has a few but scattered.

Greg
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

Linkin5 wrote:
There is a TON, also Lincoln probably has more available parking garages than any city per capita, it is ridiculous.
It might have something to do with accommodating a 90,000 + seat football stadium nearby! Hard to believe there would be a shortage for events at the 15,000 seat PBA....unless you expect to park very close. Lincoln does a good job handling the football crowds, in my opinion....but that's a different animal.

Getting out of the CLINK/AMERITRADE lots after an event can be a nightmare though. I'd rather walk to and from downtown than park in those lots. Plus I hate the idea of having huge surface lots that could otherwise be developed into something useful or fun. I won't help support/justify those lots.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Back in June, I went to see James Taylor at the arena. It was my first time ever being in it. I was impressed. It was pretty busy in the Haymarket. During the show, James called the arena "roomy".
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

mrsticka wrote:Back in June, I went to see James Taylor at the arena.  It was my first time ever being in it.  I was impressed.  It was pretty busy in the Haymarket.  During the show, James called the arena "roomy".
I have never been to the arena but I have also never heard it referred to as roomy. From the people I know that have gone, they all say that it feels quite a bit smaller than the Centurylink Center. The outside environment is a whole different deal. Everyone has loved that but the arena itself is not as nice as the CLink.
GetUrban
Planning Board

Post by GetUrban »

I haven't been to the PBA yet either. It does seat fewer than the CLINK and therefore is smaller. Plus it was also designed more around basketball. Such arenas typically are more intimate and have seating closer to the action with steeper viewing angles.
He said "They are some big, ugly red brick buildings"
...and then they were gone.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

The PBA reminds me a lot of the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, only Des Moines seems to have a wider floor foor for the Wild. The Walkways are just as narrow.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

MadMartin8 wrote:The PBA reminds me a lot of the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, only Des Moines seems to have a wider floor foor for the Wild. The Walkways are just as narrow.
Well judging by that, I am not sure that I would like it then. I thought Wells Fargo was pretty bland or poorly designed compared to the Centurylink Center. I believe there are even some obstructed views in Wells Fargo.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

skinzfan23 wrote:
MadMartin8 wrote:The PBA reminds me a lot of the Wells Fargo Arena in Des Moines, only Des Moines seems to have a wider floor foor for the Wild. The Walkways are just as narrow.
Well judging by that, I am not sure that I would like it then.  I thought Wells Fargo was pretty bland or poorly designed compared to the Centurylink Center.  I believe there are even some obstructed views in Wells Fargo.
Well, that's just my perception that they are almost identical. The concourses are tiny just like the Wells Fargo and thus are complete clusterf***s, but I think the PBA has a better...er... for lack of a better word "feel" to it. Perhaps that's because I think the PBA feeds off of its surroundings well, whereas there isn't anything around the Wells Fargo. Also, any time you have an arena that shape you're going to have obstructed views for almost everything but Basketball and certain specific concert setups.

I would take the CLC, the Xcel Center and the Target Center over the PBA and the Wells Fargo, but again just my perception and feelings.

I'd give it at least a go before making any judgements, it could strike you better than the Wells Fargo and you might like it. Don't know till you try.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

PBA is more vertical. Clink feels bigger inside. I do like the "common" areas inside PBA but love the Bud Bar at the Clink.

The area around PBA is a lot better with so much at the doorsteps.

I've not had a problem with parking. We use the Haymarket Park lots and walk over on the bridge.

They are having a Royals World Series Watch party at PBA for game 3.

Greg
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

Went to my first basketball game there Saturday night at PBA. The Haymarket area was great. We ate at Longwell's right before the game. Lots of people out and about down there. Also the outdoor ice rink in the cube area was really alive with lots of skaters.

PBA is great for basketball. We sat in the 300 section, the highest. Even that far up, no issues seeing. No issues with the concessions. I really like where you can sit on built in benches on the outside walls, plus be able to see outside.

For those looking for good parking. I'd recommend Lot 20 at Haymarket Park. Only 5 bucks, easy in and out. It's the one right behind home plate. Very short walk on pedestrian bridge to arena and Haymarket. The newest lot over there that closer to the bridge seemed to take longer to empty.

Greg
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Bob Seger brings his current tour to Lincoln

MARCH 15 Lincoln, NE Pinnacle Bank Arena
For the record  NEBUGEATER does not equal BUGEATER    !!!!!!!
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Pinnacle Bank Arena has announced two more concerts in the last week

Eric Church on May 20

Kenny Chesney on July 16
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

nebugeater wrote:Fleetwood Mac adds tour dates to their current tour including Jan 17 at PBA

http://consequenceofsound.net/2014/10/f ... into-2015/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looks like those that were at the Fleetwood Mac concernt in Lincoln last night got 1/2 the show that is set for this tour. Mick Fleetwood became Ill

http://journalstar.com/entertainment/mu ... 8fc3d.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Midway through Fleetwood Mac’s Pinnacle Bank Arena concert Saturday night, drummer Mick Fleetwood suddenly became ill.

“Mick is really sick,” Stevie Nicks told the crowd, adding that Fleetwood was backstage throwing up. “We feel terrible, but we can’t really make him play. Give us a minute, and we’ll figure out what to do.”

That turned out to be playing two more songs.

A drum tech named Steve took over Fleetwood’s kit for “Go Your Own Way,” which is usually the song the band plays before two encores.

A couple of reader comments from the linked story
I guess kent must of missed the part where the mic caught Stevie saying "acoustics suck' while they were discussing what to do. Cuz if she was talking about the arena she must know something more than Sir Paul or Sir Elton, cuz they said the acoustics rock for this building during their concerts!!!!
The tech nailed Go Your Own Way so why could he have not finished the show ? Dont understand that at all.,
Very disappointing the way they just ended it. They had a drum tech there who could have filled in. I paid quite a bit for 5 tickets to see 1/2 a show
Linkin5
County Board

Post by Linkin5 »

Are they not going to compensate people back? They charged A LOT for a washed up band.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Pinnacle Bank Arena vs. CenturyLink Center Omaha
Ten of the top 200 worldwide tours stopped by CenturyLink Center Omaha, and six of the top 200 came to Pinnacle Bank Arena. Two others on the list made stops at other area venues.
CenturyLink Center Omaha ranked in the top 100 arena venues in the world with 185,069 tickets sold, which placed the arena at No. 78. Pinnacle Bank Arena ranked No. 111 with 116,522 tickets sold.
Stir Concert Cove in Council Bluffs was No. 68 among the top amphitheater venues in the world.
Omaha’s Orpheum Theater ranked No. 52 among worldwide theatre venues, while the Holland Performing Arts Center’s Peter Kiewit Concert Hall ranked at No. 143.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

Shania Twain will be at Pinnacle Bank Arena September 24th. This will probably be her first time to Nebraska ever.
Candleshoe
Human Relations

Post by Candleshoe »

mrsticka wrote:Shania Twain will be at Pinnacle Bank Arena September 24th. This will probably be her first time to Nebraska ever.
She played Omaha on the "Up" tour, back in May of 2004.
mrsticka
Parks & Recreation

Post by mrsticka »

She did? I didn't know that. I wasn't living here then. I was living in Spokane. So, I guess this will be her first time to Lincoln.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I don't think this has been posted:
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (52.63 KiB) Viewed 7428 times
nebugeater
City Council

Post by nebugeater »

Looks like a new Basketball floor at Pinnacle Bank Arena for next season.

Can it really be nearing the end of it's life after 6 years?
After six years of use and multiple installations, the current maple floor is getting old and some of the built-in cushioning isn't as strong as it used to be, said Tom Lorenz, arena manager.

The university is also looking at a new design, he said. So there will be a new floor with an entirely new look.
Maybe this is part of the Buy a court get a free coach promo going on or something.

https://journalstar.com/news/local/govt ... CMRMBTXuQU
ita
County Board

Post by ita »

The Journal Star has a glowing article about what the arena and the Pinewood has been able to do in this past decade for Lincoln. I have been impressed with both venues' ability to attract and support a diverse set of national acts. I think it speaks to a need the city had and the growing prosperity of the city. Additionally, the Arena has contributed greatly to the continued development of downtown Lincoln in the 2010's, which has been incredible to watch.

https://journalstar.com/entertainment/m ... op-story-1
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Nearly a decade later, stakeholders say Pinnacle Bank Arena is smashing success, but debt still looms

For nine years, the Pinnacle Bank Arena has been a destination in Lincoln. “The Pinnacle Bank Arena has been an amazing project,” Tom Lorenz, PBA Manager said. The arena has hosted some of music’s biggest names, set the stage for graduates and transformed into a mass vaccination site to combat COVID-19. “I personally think it’s lived up to every expectation and more,” Jeff Maul, executive director for the Lincoln Convention and Visitors Bureau said.

Lorenz said except for the COVID years, PBA has had about 750,000 visitors a year, sold 1.5 million tickets and brought in more than $100 million in revenue from ticket sales alone. “We certainly had large expectations and I think it’s met all of those expectations and exceeded them,” Lorenz said. Not just us but the economic impact its had in the area with the growth in the Railyard and the Haymarket.” But the city, and tax payers, are still footing the bill and will be for at least two decades. In 2010, 56% of voters approved the creation of the West Haymarket Joint Public Agency which allowed the city to take out $300 million in bonds and use a new occupation tax on businesses like restaurants, bars and hotels to pay off the debt.

On top of building the arena, the JPA paid for moving BNSF Railroad tracks paving the way for privately funded hotels, the Railyard and more. “I’m really pleased with how the project has turned out,” Dan Marvin, Urban Development Director for the City of Lincoln said. “We’ve probably accomplished more than what we even told voters we could.” The occupation tax is also bringing in far more than projected. A chart provided by the city shows in 2021, the tax brought in about $15 million and is projected to bring in just under $20 million in 2022. The city finance director said they didn’t think they’d bring in $20 million in a year until 2036. So far the tax has gone toward paying off $191.4 million of the debt, but an additional $504 million has to be paid by 2024. That includes nearly $200 million in interest.

https://gray-wowt-prod.cdn.arcpublishin ... UJX2SA.png

This chart, provided by the city finance office, shows revenue from the occupation tax is bringing in significantly more than projected.(City of Lincoln)