City Halls

General discussion on all things Omaha.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

DTO Luv
City Council

City Halls

Post by DTO Luv »

I found some other city halls that I think would be a good model if we should ever build a new one. They are adding an addition but they should just save the money and build a new. One that makes a statement about Omaha's past present and future. Not this.

Here are some others.

Kansas City

Minneapolis

Tokyo

Buffalo

My personal favorite, Toronto. If I dind't live in Omaha I would live here. This design makes the buildings look bigger than they actually are. The taller tower is only 327' the other 261'. Very doable for Omaha.
DTO
papiostud
Home Owners Association

Post by papiostud »

Umm....why would Omaha need two towers above 250 ft for a city hall?
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

For all the gambling floors and other assortment of Vegas-style entertainment/administration!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

papiostud wrote:Umm....why would Omaha need two towers above 250 ft for a city hall?
I'm not saying do an exact copy of those designs, but anything would be better than what we have.
DTO
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

My ideal is to build a new City-County building on the parking lot just west of the Roman L. Hruska Federal Courthouse, at 18th and Douglas Streets (site of the old Fontenelle Hotel). The old Civic Center could then be transferred to use for the State of Nebraska offices. The 3-story State of Nebraska office complex at 13th and Farnam Streets can then be demolished to make way for a higher density private office or residential structure, or better yet, skyscraper.

One of my favorite city hall's is Los Angeles':

futrecndvlpr
Home Owners Association

Post by futrecndvlpr »

I would say that you better get used to the current building for at least the next 30 years.
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Tsk! Such pessimism! :wink:

I found a City Hall that Omaha can aspire to: London. Looks about the right size, too... but then again, perhaps something taller.

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I always thought Omaha had a cool Old City Hall
that used to be on our city Logo:

Can't imagine our present one on a logo.

Here's a pic from my postcard collection

DMRyan
Human Relations

Post by DMRyan »

Ouch. thanks for the dose of depression Coyote.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

It's mind blowing how they could get rid of that building entirely and put up that box in it's place. When will we get to the point of knocking down modern buildings instead of historically signifigant and beutiful ones.

If we merge with Douglas county anytime soon, I think we will need a new one sooner than later. Douglas County (according to the Chamber site) is supposed to have a projsected population of 510,000 by 2010. Both governments exist in the building now but they will have to anticipate growth and see the need for a new building. Maybe in the 15 year range by 2020.

With all of the groups that are sprouting in Omaha that are concerened about civic appearance, like Omaha by Design or Lively Omaha, any new City Hall has a better chance of being a signifigant structure and not a monument to banality. Omaha is much better than that.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The Old City Hall (1880) had flaws
The top of its tower had to be taken down in 1919.In 1950 the steeples were removed
and in 1962 Public Safety said it was too dangerous.
Still it was cool. Another postcard:

Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

Good point about the merger, DTO. And whenever Omaha decides to have a regional council of governments like almost every other major metropolitan area (a MAPA upgrade in a sense), they could be located in the new city hall as well.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Where was that located at? It would have made a cool loft conversion if it was still around.
DTO
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

18th and Farnam - where the Woodman tower is now.
Across the street from the old Court House
(those steps in the second picture led up to the courthouse)
Just to the west of the Bee Building (Bee newspaper)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I guess that was a fair trade. :? It seems Omaha has a terrible history of building preservation.

The old Post Office. Now First National (old) and the Double Tree.

The Medical Arts Building. Now FNC.

The old Woodmen Tower. :cry: :cry: Now a P.O.S.

DT Omaha would have been alot more dense if we still had some of these around.
DTO
OhioStreetKid
Home Owners Association

Post by OhioStreetKid »

The old Woodmen Tower. Now a P.O.S.
This is classic DTO Luv. I don't know whether to :lol: or :roll: . You sir are on the top of your game! :)
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

OhioStreetKid wrote:This is classic DTO Luv. I don't know whether to :lol: or :roll: . You sir are on the top of your game! :)
Thanks, I guess. :)
DTO
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

The loss of the WOW building makes me sick :oops:
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

As long as we are commiserating again:

The Hotel Fontenelle

and a later WOW Building PC

DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Omaha isn't the only city with a bland modern city hall.

Boston. Very disappointing for Boston.

Here's a better one of Toronto. The bottom picture is their old city hall. Look familiar. It was hard to find a decent looking modern city hall. When we ever do get one, Omaha can set a standard for well designed government buildings.
DTO
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

It's interesting that Omaha actually lost more notable historic structures after the formation of Landmarks Inc. and the establishment of the Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission than before.
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I like Eric's Idea the best.

D'Shawn, you're forgetting that all of the modern buildings that some people don't appreciate today will be the "historic" buildings 50 years from now. We can't let the City County Building, or the Zorinsky Building, etc. become the old Post Office Buildings and Fontenelle Hotels of tomorrow.

This was a hard concept for me to grasp, but think about it. When structures like the WOW Building, Post Office, City Hall, Fontenelle Hotel, etc. were demolished it was because they were seen as "old" and "outdated". Now we all wish those people had more "foresight". Well, it's our chance to have foresight. :)
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Yes, it is important to remember that today will become yesterday, and yesterday will be come history, and history will become beauty.
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

Zephyr wrote:It's interesting that Omaha actually lost more notable historic structures after the formation of Landmarks Inc. and the establishment of the Landmarks Heritage Preservation Commission than before.
Maybe that's why those organizations were set up.

The City-County building is like pop music. Disposable. Maybe they could be something to look out 50 years down the road. We'll see.
DTO
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

I will agree that there is such a thing as good design, quality design. If something has a good design to it it will always be valuable, regardless of when it was made. However, so much of the architecture to come out of the latter half of the 20th century was not good design, and was not "built for the ages".

That's the |expletive| that can easily go, eg. the Nebraska State Office Building in DTO.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Zephyr
Human Relations

Post by Zephyr »

...and the W. Dale Clark Library with its scratched granite walls?
projectman
Human Relations

Post by projectman »

It's pretty. :lol:
jsheets
Human Relations

Post by jsheets »

As long as were shooting for the best, why not have a Gehry designed building in Omaha? Something like the Stata Center at MIT, or the band shell in Millenium Park in Chicago would be sweet.

Stata Center:
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Who needs drugs when you have buildings like that to give uber-vertigo?!!
DTO Luv
City Council

Post by DTO Luv »

I got a Gehry book for Christmas awhile back. His Guggenheim Museum looks like the Qwest Center with a steel rose on it. I would like to see domed city hall. Maybe a little like the Capital but with a modern feel.
DTO
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

a Gehry building would be sweet! But I think he's spending all his time reshaping L.A. with Brad Pitt.