Centurylink

West Omaha, Sarpy and Nebraska metro counties.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

Greg S
City Council

Centurylink

Post by Greg S »

Not sure when it happened but they closed their store on West Maple.
Joe_Sovereign
Library Board

Re: Centurylink

Post by Joe_Sovereign »

CenturyLink doesn't sell Prism cable TV anymore. They haven't signed anybody new up for at least a year.

Since the Level 3 merger they are closing nearly all of their Retail product lines except for straight Internet connectivity.
EricHaley
Human Relations

Post by EricHaley »

Joe_Sovereign wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:39 pm CenturyLink doesn't sell Prism cable TV anymore. They haven't signed anybody new up for at least a year.

Since the Level 3 merger they are closing nearly all of their Retail product lines except for straight Internet connectivity.
My fiancé and I always called it prison TV
PWL73316
Library Board

Post by PWL73316 »

Joe_Sovereign wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:39 pm CenturyLink doesn't sell Prism cable TV anymore. They haven't signed anybody new up for at least a year.

And like 5% of the metro is covered with any modern 'Internet connectivity.'

Are they ever expanding fiber coverage, or do they just talk about it once in a while?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I talked to a "centurylink" employee a few week ago, he didn't have much good to say. He was a US West employee, who became a Qwest Employee, who became a Century Link Employee, who is now a Level 3 employee. He says while its still called Centurylink, Level3 ran out all the executives and its basically just Level3 now.

He also said that Level3 has no interest in having any local customers. All they want are the main "bus lines" or "backbone lines" and everything local can go away as far as they care.

He also said that US West, Qwest, Century Link, and Level3 were never integrated so nobody has a clue what anyone is talking about because its 4 different computer systems with 4 different terms.
laserdisque
Home Owners Association

Post by laserdisque »

I live in Dundee and had some out of town contractors on the block saying that they were going to install new Centurylink cables in the next several months. That was in July. Nothing has happened since then.
Beach Dad
laserdisque
Home Owners Association

Post by laserdisque »

We received a letter in the mail letting us know that Centurylink fiber gigabit is in fact coming to Dundee.
Beach Dad
Padre
Human Relations

Post by Padre »

laserdisque wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:06 pm We received a letter in the mail letting us know that Centurylink fiber gigabit is in fact coming to Dundee.
We’ve had it for a couple months. After some battling back and forth regarding billing problems, it’s been worth it.
BRoss
IT Director

Post by BRoss »

I've had Centurylink Fiber for maybe a year now. Soooo much better than Cox with their high prices, crappy speeds, and data caps. I love not needing a modem and having a much more stable connection. With Cox, it seems like it went down every couple weeks, if not more. The only problem I've had recently is because a mouse chewed a line in a box outside my house.

And seeing this has made me even gladder I switched: Cox slows Internet speeds in entire neighborhoods to punish any heavy users

And I'm locked in at $60 a month.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

I was curious to see if my old Omaha Neighborhood had Centurylink yet --- I had Cox all the years I was there and never had a problem with speed or billing. Anyway put in my old address and for $49/month I can get a top speed right now of 3 mbps. LOL
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Omababe
Planning Board

Post by Omababe »

Out here in the Hinterlands we have Century Link for Internet and on those speed test sites I get about 8 megs. That's not much compared to what people are advertising, but it works fine for me, remoting in, occasional streaming, and it very seldom goes down.

At work we have Cox, a business grade service, and quite honestly, I can't tell the difference in speed at all.
damonhynes
Parks & Recreation

Post by damonhynes »

Omababe wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:11 am Out here in the Hinterlands we have Century Link for Internet and on those speed test sites I get about 8 megs. That's not much compared to what people are advertising, but it works fine for me, remoting in, occasional streaming, and it very seldom goes down.

At work we have Cox, a business grade service, and quite honestly, I can't tell the difference in speed at all.
I had Centurylink in Springfield up until 2 months ago, was getting 1 both up and down and I live a block from their local routing bunker! Add to that, I had DirecTV via Centurylink, and that had rain/snow issues. The worst time for the TV to go out is during severe WX... Also, in the two years I'd had it, they had to replace two desktop boxes and that was getting ridiculous.

Switched to Charter/Spectrum. Love it.
Greg S
City Council

Post by Greg S »

I know a lot of people in my neighborhood had Prism. Centurylink is no longer an option for me because I will never go back to satellite tv.

I've been impressed with Cox internet speeds since the Covid started. Before it happened I worked from home twice a week and in the office 3 times. Was really worried what would happen with internet speeds once so many others started working from home as well. Have not noticed a difference.

We've had as many as four on our internet on at a time between the 2 boys doing on line learning for school (and now gaming) plus the wife and I both working. We don't have the updgraded internet but do have the panoramic wifi.

Greg
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Greg S wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:55 am I know a lot of people in my neighborhood had Prism. Centurylink is no longer an option for me because I will never go back to satellite tv.

I've been impressed with Cox internet speeds since the Covid started. Before it happened I worked from home twice a week and in the office 3 times. Was really worried what would happen with internet speeds once so many others started working from home as well. Have not noticed a difference.

We've had as many as four on our internet on at a time between the 2 boys doing on line learning for school (and now gaming) plus the wife and I both working. We don't have the updgraded internet but do have the panoramic wifi.

Greg
I have Cox as well and have been working from home exclusively since March 20th..

Knock on wood- I’ve had no issues and am satisfied with the service..

I do know several people, however, who have CenturyLink and have had recent problems with periodic interruptions in their WiFi service...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
HskrFanMike
Parks & Recreation

Post by HskrFanMike »

I' cut the cord on Prism last fall and upgraded my internet to Gigabit service unlimited last fall, and haven't looked back. We started with PS Vue for streaming, but had to switch to YouTube TV in January. Our bills are half of what it was with CenturyLink and probably 40% less than the introductory rate we would have paid with Cox. I know some Cox customers have hit data caps with streaming, so I'm grateful for the CenturyLink price for life unlimited plan.

We've had exactly one outage with CenturyLink since the pandemic hit, and that was about a half-hour system wide issue. On Nextdoor, I see at least a half dozen Cox outage posts each month. I was always fearful of cutting the cord and getting a pixelated, buffering TV experience, but that hasn't been the case at all. The picture quality on streaming rivals the over-the-air broadcast signal.

One thing I did invest in is a Google mesh router for about $300. We get solid Wifi everywhere in the house now, and even in the backyard, as my son has had a couple of Scout campouts over zoom.
Dundeemaha
Human Relations

Post by Dundeemaha »

We've also really enjoyed the switch from Cox to CenturyLink and have had a similar lack of outages.

My favorite part is that the $60/mo was the all in price, not the advertised price before another $20 in taxes and fees. There's something really gratifying about seeing that on the monthly bank statement.
bigredmed1
Parks & Recreation

Post by bigredmed1 »

Dundeemaha wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 7:30 am We've also really enjoyed the switch from Cox to CenturyLink and have had a similar lack of outages.

My favorite part is that the $60/mo was the all in price, not the advertised price before another $20 in taxes and fees. There's something really gratifying about seeing that on the monthly bank statement.
Agreed.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Perhaps I’m in the minority, but I’m a Cox WiFi subscriber. Have been for years..

Since this pandemic broke March 15th, I’ve been working exclusively from home and the only WiFi interruption I’ve had during that time was when a strong thunderstorm came through on June 9th and knocked power out of my neighborhood for 2 hours..several of my friends/coworkers during this same time frame, who have CenturyLink, have experienced multiple interruptions with their WiFi...

I will say, I upgraded my router about 2 or 3 years ago and that made a huge difference...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
swinquest
Home Owners Association

Post by swinquest »

I have had the worst luck with CenturyLink for the past seven years. Since COVID, I made the jump to Cox due to the increase in number of connected devices. My CL speed never changed since I went with them and was not very pleased with their customer service. Cox wasn't much better when I was with them 10+ years ago.