Creighton Basketball 2020-2021

Metro area and region sports discussion

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

skinzfan23
City Council

Creighton Basketball 2020-2021

Post by skinzfan23 »

Freshman Jalen Windham announced that he is entering the transfer portal. I don't blame him, since he didn't see much playing time this season and with potentially everyone back this next season including Davion Mintz, there weren't going to be too many min to be had.

Wish him best of luck with whatever team he transfers to.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Re: Creighton Basketball 2020-2021

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

skinzfan23 wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 3:57 pm Freshman Jalen Windham announced that he is entering the transfer portal. I don't blame him, since he didn't see much playing time this season and with potentially everyone back this next season including Davion Mintz, there weren't going to be too many min to be had.

Wish him best of luck with whatever team he transfers to.
I agree. He’s making the best decision for his basketball playing career and I wish him luck..

Indeed, the Jays looked stacked for the 2020/2021 season.. I just hope we have a college basketball in the late fall..If I had to bet, I’d say we won’t see a college football season this year..

Keeping my fingers crossed for college basketball and the Jays 20/21...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Davion Mintz is going to be a grad transfer.

Good luck to him. He was a great player for the Bluejays. When he was on....he was a good player. But as a Bluejay fan I think Antwann Jones is going to a much better backup/contributor. Davion is probably going to play somewhere closer to home.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I know that it is a long ways off and we don't even know what the future will hold for sports, but I can't wait for next season already.

ESPN has the Jays as the #1 seed in Lunardi's Bracketology!!!

I think it is pretty funny right now how Creighton is the measure of stability and proven winning in basketball in the state of Nebraska and Nebraska just can't quite seem to figure it out. Having 1/2 or all of the team being new each year is not a recipe for success. Sure it may work with the blueblood programs, but that isn't going to work with Nebraska.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

CU gets a transfer from Duke.
Uffda
County Board

Post by Uffda »

Coyote wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:37 pm CU gets a transfer from Duke.
https://www.cbssports.com/college-baske ... igibility/
We are the people our parents warned us about.

Jimmy Buffett
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I’m just keeping my fingers crossed we have a 2020/2021 college basketball season...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Coyote wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:37 pm CU gets a transfer from Duke.
Alex O'Connell is his name. Didn't play a ton of minutes, but with all the 4-5 star players they have at Duke, he still put up decent numbers. He will probably be one of the main men in 2 years.

By the way, he is using my old photo from Wikipedia in the background of his tweet...haha.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Lots of activity on the Creighton front the past 2 days.

They picked up a commitment for a preferred walk-on in Sami Osmani (6'4" guard from the Chicago area) He averaged 19.4 points and 6.4 rebounds during his senior season. He is taking the roster spot of Jordan Scurry, who recently graduated.

The Jays still have 2 scholarship spots open for next year.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Rumor now is that Davion Mintz is transferring to play at Kentucky.....weird times when a guy who was a decent player at Creighton is able to transfer to Kentucky.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Jalen Windham announced he is going to Ball St. Closer to home for him and I hope that he does well there.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Sorry to keep updating on the Jays, but there has been quite a bit of movement from the Creighton sidelines.

The newest rumor is that Tyshon Alexander is declaring for the NBA draft and won't return for his senior season. Reported by Jeff Goodman, who is usually pretty reliable. Although Tyshon's dad tweeted back that no one has said anything and for Goodman to let the players make their own announcements.

Things could get interesting if Tyshon leaves. He is the team's best defender and also the top shooter.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

That was from Jeff Goodman.
Tyshon said he is trying it out, he may come back, he is rarely on mock drafts.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

skinzfan23 wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:24 pm Sorry to keep updating on the Jays, but there has been quite a bit of movement from the Creighton sidelines.

The newest rumor is that Tyshon Alexander is declaring for the NBA draft and won't return for his senior season. Reported by Jeff Goodman, who is usually pretty reliable. Although Tyshon's dad tweeted back that no one has said anything and for Goodman to let the players make their own announcements.

Things could get interesting if Tyshon leaves. He is the team's best defender and also the top shooter.
If Ty-shon does decide to leave, I think you will see some positive movement on some of Creighton's top recruiting targets. That might be the only silver lining.
No posts exist for this topic
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Hope I’m wrong..

But I think Ty-Shon is gone...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Tyshon is prob gone, but there is a little window still left open for him. In his interview, he expressed that McDermott still has a scholarship open and is going to hold it for a little while.

It sounds like TSA is intending to make a decision in May.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

From Tom Shatel’s column in today’s W-H:

“I should know better by now about these things. But I was surprised by Ty-Shon Alexander’s announcement.

Not that the Creighton junior guard would declare for the draft. That was expected. Stick a toe in, get feedback from NBA folks, listen to the advice from coach Greg McDermott and his NBA people. Don’t sign with an agent. Leave yourself wiggle room to return for a senior year at Creighton.

What sets up as a monster senior year.

Now maybe that’s still what Alexander does. But reading his statement, it sure sounds like he’s saying goodbye, so long, farewell.”..

The complete column link-

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/cr ... b8f6f.html

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Mahoney declares for the draft.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I was wondering who else was going to. In the article in the World Herald, Coach Mac talked about knowing that other players were considering declaring for the draft but he wouldn't specify, so the players could make the announcement.

In this case, the wording for Mahoney is much different than Tyshon's. He mentions keeping his options open for a return to college. Which in this case, is the more likely scenario, especially since he only has 1/2 of a year and the high Div I level.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I don’t have a good feeling about this...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Unlike Tyshon, I think Denzel will be back.

Maybe.

Hopefully.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I believe so too...I don't think Denzel is quite NBA ready...not to knock him, but I am not sure that he ever will be.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ty-shon to remain in draft, will not return to Creighton for his final year.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

It was as obvious to me as the day is long, Ty-Shon was gone..

We can probably count Mahoney in for chasing the $$ too..

Somebody said it here around the time the NCAA Tournament was 86’ed, the Jays might be the most jinxed college basketball program in division 1...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

Tyshon's age and prospects make sense, sadly, for him to enter the draft, so I had little hope of his return. I still think Mahoney returns, but that could be hopeful thinking
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Big East/Big 12 Challenge: Creighton @ Kansas.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Wow that is another big game in an already loaded schedule. Sure would help to have TyShon still here. I wish this game were being played in Omaha. Hopefully there will be a return one at some time.

Creighton also plays in the Battle for Atlantis: Creighton, Duke, Memphis, Ohio State, Texas A&M, Utah, West Virginia, and Wichita State.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Damien Jefferson (DJ) has now entered the NBA draft and is likely gone.. We’ll see..

The Jays bad luck seems to continue..

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

I highly doubt that DJ is going pro. I am sure that he is just testing the waters as well. Only averaged 9 pts and 5 rebs. He is a good player, but I don't think he will ever have NBA potential.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

I agree..

It would be in DJ’s best interest to stay.. But, the gravitational pull to dip their toes into the NBA Draft then dive in prematurely seems to be a very strong temptation to resist..

We’ll see...

Ciao..LiO...peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Creighton gets a 6'9" forward from Lithuania, Modestas Kancleris.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Seems to be a little bit of a work in progress. He initially visited CU last year, but decided to select Grand Canyon U until Dan Majerle was released as head coach. But if some of you remember, Martin Krampelj was a bit of a project as well. I think he turned out pretty well.

Kancleris has some hop in him and is a great rebounder. Hopefully a year or two of strength and conditioning will bring him along even more.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

The Jays just landed one of the top international recruits in 6'5" guard Rati Andronikashvili.

This is the 2nd international recruit in the 2020 class joining Modestas Kancleris, who they signed last week.
MadMartin8
Planning Board

Post by MadMartin8 »

This is a very very good pickup here.
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Article on Denzel Mahoney:

Blocking out the Silence: Denzel Mahoney thrives on malleability

That is pretty sad that Jon Nyatawa of the World Herald didn't report on Denzel's ACL tear back in AAU days like this article. Yet the World Herald has almost daily articles about a Husker team that has had its 2nd overhaul in 2 years and is coming off of their worst record in school history.
Taco
Human Relations

Post by Taco »

skinzfan23 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:07 pm Article on Denzel Mahoney:

That is pretty sad that Jon Nyatawa of the World Herald didn't report on Denzel's ACL tear back in AAU days like this article. Yet the World Herald has almost daily articles about a Husker team that has had its 2nd overhaul in 2 years and is coming off of their worst record in school history.
Not to mention the endless Kool-aid pumping for said terrible husker team. And how they pretend 17 transfers in 2 years is normal and the 6 transfers this year is a good thing. I've begun getting my creighton news elsewhere. White and Blue report gives far more depth into the team than OWH
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

The W-H has always been the eastern Nebraska pipeline for University of Nebraska athletics. The Bluejays Basketball program is a cute sideshow for them. Funny how as the Jays this past season kept winning..Getting ranked within the top 15/10..and getting more and more national attention, the W-H sort of stepped up its coverage (out of necessity)..while also trying their darnedest to keep a lousy Husker basketball team at least within rear view mirror sight (just imagine if this was the other way around, Huskers great, the Jays downtrodden)....

Oh well, it is what it is here in the Omaha area for sports coverage...

Ciao..LiO...Peace
Go Cowboys!
skinzfan23
City Council

Post by skinzfan23 »

Taco wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 5:41 pm
skinzfan23 wrote: Tue Jun 02, 2020 1:07 pm Article on Denzel Mahoney:

Not to mention the endless Kool-aid pumping for said terrible husker team. And how they pretend 17 transfers in 2 years is normal and the 6 transfers this year is a good thing. I've begun getting my creighton news elsewhere. White and Blue report gives far more depth into the team than OWH
I agree, and its free. I am a frequent visitor to bluejayundergound.com as well. That is where all the transfer rumors are and you see a lot more of Bluejay news. The only time the World Herald was really into posting stories about Creighton was when the scandal was going on last year. They had numerous articles on things that aren't even a fact. Like I have always said, Nebraska basketball is kinda like Iowa State football...they both have an amazing crowds for their poor records that they have, so Nebraska does have that going for them. Their facilities are also some of the best in the country. As for if Hoiberg can bring them out of misery....I don't know, but it was fun to see them beat Iowa this past year.