Nebraska Medicine

Downtown, Midtown, and all parts east of 72nd.

Moderators: Coyote, nebugeater, Brad, Omaha Cowboy, BRoss

joeycheeto
New to the Neighborhood

Green space

Post by joeycheeto »

The movement of Saddle Creek will allow many more "Durham Research Center-like buildings" to be built and in the center of these will be a large pond. This will provide a relaxing space for the staff at UNMC and will also be a part of the solution for the flooding problem in the area! UNMC is trying to turn the campus from a concrete haven to a move inviting area. There is, surprisingly, people in the area who are angry that UNMC is trying to narrow the streets to slow traffic down through the campus where students, doctors, nurses, etc. and patients are trying to cross the streets and walk between classes and buildings! Proposals include tree-lined streets with slower speed limits.
Also, UNMC has recently added to its mission to be a major economic force in Omaha and Nebraska! Things like the new medical school building are a giant step in that direction!
Finn
Parks & Recreation

Post by Finn »

Great to hear - I like that they are trying to incorporate more elements of a traditional campus and greenspace.

Welcome to the forum. Cheeto.
joeycheeto
New to the Neighborhood

Sorrell webcam

Post by joeycheeto »

Thanks!
Just in case anyone wanted to see, the University has set up a webcam to watch the construction.

http://webmedia.unmc.edu/livewebcam/

Also: the official CHSE (Center for Health Science Education) website is: http://www.unmc.edu/chse/

It has a video and information about who has donated money toward the building!

The reason everything has come to a grinding halt is because the University is still waiting on bids for the actual building. They should have them in the next few weeks at the latest! Then things will really start changing.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

Alright! I love construction cams... I wish UP-WSO and CF had one... ever notice the W. Dodge cams never got put up?
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Here is how the property purchasing is going.

Blue = Goverment Owned
Green = UNMC
Red = Private

omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

i hope they are able to buy up all that land that is west of saddle creek (except for caffiene dreams that is) and tear it all out. That is such an ugly part of the street and has so much potential for renewal
joeglow
Planning Board

Post by joeglow »

omahastylee459 wrote:i hope they are able to buy up all that land that is west of saddle creek (except for caffiene dreams that is) and tear it all out. That is such an ugly part of the street and has so much potential for renewal
Well, the CSI is already planning on building a nice new building there.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

I thought the CSI building was going on Dodge? Caffeine Dreams is over on Leavenworth or Farnam or something.

(or am I missing something?)

-Big E
Stable genius.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

The CSI Omaha building will be at the exact same spot as the old one.
15-17, 26, 32
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

The CSI is that red box on 48th and Dodge. Caffiene dreams is the red slash on 48th and farnam.
Big E
City Council

Post by Big E »

Yeah, I knew where the buildings were. I think I just misunderstood Joe and Stylee's exchange.

Back to regular programming...

-Big E
Stable genius.
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I'll go ask my PhD friend that works there if he has any more info for me. I should try and invite him on to our site. He would be invaluable for intel.
15-17, 26, 32
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

is omaha steel there to stay?
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

I sure hope not. While I think it still operates, I really don't think they use too much of the property. most of the plant looks abandoned and overgrown. It would be great if they could move up to carter lake with the other steel companies. Without rail service for at least a decade now it seems like it would be hard to do any large production at the current saddlecreek site. If they do move wonder what kind of enviromental mess there is on that site.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Post by midtown charlie »

Well it looks like it is taking a big step forward. See attached August 1st city council meeting agenda.

http://www.ci.omaha.ne.us/departments/c ... ks/855.pdf
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Center to Cummings
midtown charlie
Human Relations

Latest from the UNMC website.

One of the reasons for Dr. Rosenquist's optimism is the proposed addition of a second research tower adjacent to the Durham Research Center.

The 252,179 gross square feet building will be nearly identical to the Durham Research Center, which opened in 2003. As with the Durham Research Center, funding for the $74 million second research tower will come primarily from private fundraising efforts. Completion of the second tower is expected by winter of 2008.

Featuring 98 state-of-the-art laboratories, research activities within the second research tower will be multidisciplinary, grouped around UNMC priority areas, including cancer, biosecurity, cardiovascular diseases, gastrointestinal and liver diseases, developmental biology, genetics and molecular genetics, neurobiology, and organ transplantation biology.

"The importance of this second research tower cannot be overstated," Dr. Rosenquist said. "Facilities are a critical feature for successful recruitment and retention of excellent researchers. It will have an immediate impact on our ability to bring in more outstanding investigators."

A groundbreaking ceremony will be held Aug. 8 for the second research tower. Watch UNMC Today for more details on the groundbreaking.
http://app1.unmc.edu/publicaffairs/toda ... match=2882
omahastylee459
Parks & Recreation

Post by omahastylee459 »

thats quite the stretch of road. I thought it would only be Leavenworth to Dodge
jcitta
Home Owners Association

Post by jcitta »

http://app1.unmc.edu/PublicAffairs/Toda ... match=2887

Ground breaking ceremonies for DRC 2 tomorrow.
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Great news..Thanks for the updates!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Unless I missed it, the article doesn't mention a completion date. Anyone know?
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

StreetsOfOmaha wrote:Unless I missed it, the article doesn't mention a completion date. Anyone know?
From the UNMC Today story link provided 07/27/06:

'As with the Durham Research Center, funding for the $74 million second research tower will come primarily from private fundraising efforts. Completion of the second tower is expected by winter of 2008.'..

http://app1.unmc.edu/publicaffairs/toda ... match=2882

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
StreetsOfOmaha
City Council

Post by StreetsOfOmaha »

Must have missed it. Thanks.

It'll be fun to see more big cranes at UNMC.
"The right to have access to every building in the city by private motorcar in an age when everyone possesses such a vehicle is actually the right to destroy the city."
Lewis Mumford, The Highway and the City, 1963
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

You're welcome..

And as it relates to the big cranes..Agreed!..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Ceremony Takes Place At Future Research Center Site
KETV wrote:"This is a wonderful new addition to Midtown. It creates a lot of jobs, high-paying jobs, it certainly differentiates the city of Omaha because of the medical center and the reputation it brings and the research it provides," said Omaha Mayor Mike Fahey.

Improving Midtown may also mean the possible move of Saddle Creek Road about one block west to Dodge Street.

It's something the mayor said both he and UNMC officials have talked about and are interested in, but it's still a long way from becoming a reality.

"We've had several problems with Saddle Creek Road and the businesses down there, so we've been looking for a long-term solution for this for some years, and we're going to continue to look. We're not anywhere near making on decision on that," Fahey said.

Work begins on research tower
Omaha Workd Herald wrote:Maurer also announced that the medical center has commissioned a life-sized bronze sculpture of Durham that will stand in front of the two towers. It will be done by Omaha sculptor John Lajba, who created the "Road to Omaha" statue that stands outside Rosenblatt Stadium.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

BTW - this was passed 7-0
Resolved that, as recommended by the Mayor, the Agreement between the City of Omaha and the State of Nebraska Department of Roads, providing for studying various alternatives for new alignments of Saddle Creek Road between Center Street and Cuming Street, known as State of Nebraska Department of Roads Project No. DPU-505(5) where the State will reimburse the City of Omaha $990,000, which is 100% of the estimated cost for this project, is hereby approved.
almighty_tuna
City Council

Post by almighty_tuna »

Great news!!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

I'll requote the KETV article from the UNMC groundbreaking here also:
KETV wrote:Improving Midtown may also mean the possible move of Saddle Creek Road about one block west to Dodge Street.

It's something the mayor said both he and UNMC officials have talked about and are interested in, but it's still a long way from becoming a reality.

"We've had several problems with Saddle Creek Road and the businesses down there, so we've been looking for a long-term solution for this for some years, and we're going to continue to look. We're not anywhere near making on decision on that," Fahey said.
Ceremony Takes Place At Future Research Center Site
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

UNMC's 10 year plan..This is huge!..

From the W-H:

'And, if its latest 10-year facilities plan is any indication, the campus will be scraping the sky by 2015:

• On UNMC's west side, four more research towers - clones of the Durham Research Center and its soon-to-rise twin - would surge toward the clouds.

• On the east side, a new College of Public Health would sprout.

• In the middle, a new hospital tower would crack through the Clarkson Tower parking lot and a hotel for out-of-town patients would spring from a patch of green space at Farnam and 42nd Streets.

• New clinics and a geriatrics center would bubble up along the north and south edges of the campus.

• Six new parking ramps would spiral upward, adding new parking spots and replacing those lost to new construction.'..

The complete W-H story link:

http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_pg=57&u_sid=2237591

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Omaha Cowboy
The Don

Post by Omaha Cowboy »

Also from the W-H piece:

'Maurer estimated costs for six projects he considers high priorities in the first half of the 10-year plan - the cancer tower and its twin, building for the new College of Public Health, the geriatric clinic, a College of Nursing expansion and an addition to the Student Life Center - at about $250 million.'..

Combined with the $243 million for the MofO condo/apt/retail project just down the road..That's a combined nearly $500 million worth of development within a 2-2.5 mile corridor..

Truly mind expanding..

..Ciao..LiO....Peace
Go Cowboys!
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Crane Watch Alert!!!
adam186
Planning Board

Post by adam186 »

Just a visualization of what's to come:

Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Gotta love the restored Saddle Creek. Finally the place name will actually exist.
midtown charlie
Human Relations

It would nice to see if the city could work out a deal with UNMC so that in the future the public could use some of the southern parking structures at UNMC. This will become important when Leavenworth develops as a condo street for all of the doctors and researchers that Harold brings with his new towers. Imagine Leavenworth becoming a high density condo street with street level retail. (of course we wouldn't touch LaCasa)
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

or caffeine dreams
15-17, 26, 32
Brad
City Council

Post by Brad »

Or Barrets

Or Broncos
MTO
City Council

Post by MTO »

I didn't know there was a Bronco's near Saddle Creak. But yeah agreed.
15-17, 26, 32
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

Broncos is on Leavenworth just down the street (west) from La Casa.
Swift
Planning Board

Post by Swift »

Things that will be gone if this map comes to fruition:

Dona and Millies
Mid City Bank
That ugly Bank of the West building on Dodge
Several parking lots.
Plus several other things I probably am forgetting.

However, it looks like Caffein Dreams will be spared. The new Saddle Creek Road goes just along side of it.

Maybe UNMC only bought that parking lot behind the building.

Also, UNMC has been putting up these sweet light up "UNMC" signs at several locations. The most recent was on 42nd and Leavenworth.

I saw that sign the other day and it dawned on me that they must be planning something for that corner if they put up a sign.

Also: from my window, I can see the future location of the Student Apartments on the right hand side of the screen (38th Ave and Dewey). But it's strange, because there are some large old houses on that corner.

But I think UNMC already owns that land because their securty patrol drives by it all the time.
Coyote
City Council

Post by Coyote »

The only place I have to feel sorry for is Don & Millies. They had a fire there a few years ago and rebuilt. I hope they get good value for their property.